Tue, May 7, 4:45 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 07 4:27 am)

Subject: Project E

erogenesis ( ) posted Sat, 20 February 2016 at 6:37 AM · edited Sat, 20 February 2016 at 6:38 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

ugh! Sorry guys. been reaaaallly busy!!! But the JCM idea was a good move. We're now working all day on getting the scaling right. The ghost bones are causing problems and might have to do away with them. Anyway, here are some pics of the results of the JCMs!!!! I'm really happy with how they worked out.

Now we're just struggling with scaling... its like the black arts...

promo009.jpgpromo008.jpgpromo007.jpgpromo005mini.jpgyoga series 08.jpgyoga series 04.jpg

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."

3DFineries ( ) posted Sat, 20 February 2016 at 6:47 AM

Loving those bends! She looks so natural & gumby like. lol 😄 Gonna have a blast posing her.........

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 20 February 2016 at 7:16 AM

Really nice bends! I am really liking what I see so far.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sat, 20 February 2016 at 10:43 AM

Best girl in town

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

flaviok ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2016 at 10:34 PM

Perfeita. Impressionante realismo. Supera em muito V4.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 10:55 AM

(I'm a bit late to the party, so if this question has already been asked/answered, my humble apologies...)

In the various renders (...splendid work, on those, btw!) that have been posted, it looks like a number of different 'skins' have been used.

1. Is this true, or are my eyes being deceived?
  2. If true, are they V4 skin textures? ...Or from some other figure? ...Or custom-made?
  3. Will there be some method of using existing skin textures? (...since one of the stated concerns was to make the figure be able to use V4 clothing...)

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

digitalpanther ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 3:39 PM

At last found the thread. Following it here now as well in case RDNA gets stupid. -DP. AKA SK

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2016 at 1:56 AM
Site Admin

You can also go over to cgbytesDOTcom where she will be sold and Ero is already starting a thread there. Probably the safest place to bet you'll get all the info.

nDelphi ( ) posted Sat, 27 February 2016 at 4:12 PM
Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 27 February 2016 at 11:24 PM

I am very interested in her, but I want to know if she will work in Poser 10. I cannot afford at this time to get Poser 11.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 28 February 2016 at 12:17 AM

I think I heard that it would. maybe check at cgbytes.com

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

3DFineries ( ) posted Sun, 28 February 2016 at 5:09 AM

I'm pretty sure I heard Erogenesis say she will work in Poser 10 & up.

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

erogenesis ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2016 at 1:08 AM

Hey guys! Yeah CGbytes is the central hub now for PE discussions. There is an entire forum dedicated to PE with wishlists and updates and whatnot, I'll definitely still come check here, but it will be an even slower response ;)

Yes I want her to work in PP2014 (P10) at least. She might also work in older versions but I cannot say for sure at this stage. It is also important for me and my work to be able to convert my old content to her quickly and easily. For clothing this seems to be quite easy, but for textures its a little harder. I'm sneakily hoping to get blacksmith3D on board when she comes out.

FYI she is at the CR2 doctors now, making sure everything is on order, all the channels are there, and getting her ready for some seriously heavy duty morphing work. While they're busy I went ahead with the old version to see if the mesh could handle some extreme morphs like elf ears. I'd say it worked hehehe:

promo048.jpgpromo042s.jpgpromo040.jpgElf Trip.jpgpromo032.jpgpromo030.jpgpromo029.jpgpromo028.jpg

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."

erogenesis ( ) posted Wed, 09 March 2016 at 1:14 AM

oops, nudity... sort of then...

rtamesis ( ) posted Thu, 10 March 2016 at 9:12 AM

On your last photo of her bending over backwards I notice that she'll need some skin folds on the top of her wrist as well as visible tendons to enhance the realism further. More detail on the top of her feet like tendons and visible veins will also help. Otherwise, great render!

erogenesis ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 4:16 AM · edited Mon, 23 May 2016 at 4:18 AM

Hey hey. For those interested, for the last few weeks I've returned to comic work again to make some money to survive, etc. PE is still around, looking pretty good, but plans have definitely changed.

Funding aside, there is also the way things went during PE's development, as some of you might know. Things got quite crazy. I'm no stranger to tackling complex problems, but when all the workarounds end up backfiring, one must at some point wonder if they're using the wrong software. Obviously in this case that's just not an option since we've come so far, but we need to be very pragmatic now. I was hoping to hand over the project to other folks to get it released sooner, but they don't have the time either.

Luckily the worst of rigging is now behind us, but I am not going to do anymore complex things with her because that is guaranteed to uncover some more bugs / limitations for us to spend days trying to find out what it is and then try and explain to some dude in California what's not going right, and trying to convince him that its not me doing something wrong. Simply put, I put my foot in it with this project, and I'm not going to risk sinking deeper into this CR2-coded rabbit hole. Just to be fair, Poser has finally dealt with some of the big problems, but there's still plenty more to deal with... and I really need to move on now. All my friends are making awesome art and I was stuck here debugging PE... eh I mean Poser. I'm finally catching up again (and learning C4D). Speaking of which, she doesn't work properly in P11 yet, but I'm sure at some point some clever bugger will figure out what's going wrong there.

Anyway PE's rig is almost done. What remains to be done is a few JCMs, when I have time (after a comic or two) of course, and perhaps (if I'm in a good mood) I (or one of my buddies will) will try fudge the scaling to look goodish. Then it will get tested. Instead of doing three testing rounds, we'll do all three in one go, a select group of vendors, artists, community members. Then I'll make as many morph packs as I can based on what folks over at CGBytes have requested. I'll try make a few textures to kick off with. For the rest I'm afraid she's going to rely heavily on vendor support. I'm going to try and hire someone to do the helpdesk, because I'm going to be meditating in a cave in Nepal somewhere.

japdevon011.jpg

You know, all problems aside, this figure is lovely. For me she's the best Poser figure I've ever used, but of course I'd say that because I tailored her to what I need mostly. Chances are you'd like her too. The mannequins will also be fun to use I think. But eesh, I'm just shocked at the manner in which it all had to happen. Some of the bugs I discovered really boggle the mind. How can one dude in Africa spot them one day after the $500 app has been around for over a decade. How? You'll hear me complain about that for a long time to come.

Anyway, at least things are improving under Nerd3D. Two of the biggest thorns in my eyes, the JCM issue, the warping bulges issue have finally been resolved, along with a lot of other issues...

Thanks for your patience. Onwards!

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 7:08 AM

Hi Ero, have fun learning C4D. I'm not really the brightest candle on a cake when it's about learning a software, but I made it pretty far with C4D. C4D mainly has two issues - for me! 1) it is very expensive if you want all its features. 2) I am spoiled by the Poser universe with all its content. You can even buy more content for max or maya, but C4D, nada. The biggest advantage of C4D is, its UI is not cryptic at all. (Well yes of course, it depends what you are used to) When I was more into C4D the render engine was famous for being very good and quick. I don't know if this is still true today comparing other apps. I am curious to hear your results, when trying a PE in C4D. Will a PE rig be easier to set up in C4D? How long will it take you? What bugs and limitation will you find there?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 4:09 PM

The model looks superb. I'll definitely want to use it when it's available.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 10:59 PM

erogenesis Max,Maya,C4D n LW might be a little geared towards characters more then one of the others. I'd ask around n check out you tube n demos before any major commitments. They might lean on mocap a lot also.

I know what it's like to want one app to do what another can but not all app's are created =

Just accept each app as it is n release the best version you can for that app.

I know you put your blood sweat n tears in to E, n you want and deserve perfection but we half to accept nothings fair on this planet.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2016 at 6:28 AM

I have been using C4D for over ten years. It is a great program & relatively easy to learn. However compared to other "pro" apps it is not very strong with humanoid characters it is great for 3D motion graphics like the kind you see at the beginning of pros sports etc. But its character tools dont compare with Max Maya or even Lightwave.

I use DAZ genesis1-2 models in C4D R11.5 by exporting the obj file + the MDD file for animation from Daz animate+ plugin. There is a full featured plugin for C4D that imports native poser figures and content directly from a poser runtime. but it only work with older NON weightmapped poser figures.

So I dont see an easy path for anyone to use Project E in C4D without alot of tedious rigging & weighting using C4D native rigging tools

My website

YouTube Channel

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2016 at 8:02 PM · edited Tue, 24 May 2016 at 8:12 PM

[erogenesis]

You know, all problems aside, this figure is lovely. For me she's the best Poser figure I've ever used, but of course I'd say that because I tailored her to what I need mostly. Chances are you'd like her too. The mannequins will also be fun to use I think. But eesh, I'm just shocked at the manner in which it all had to happen. Some of the bugs I discovered really boggle the mind. How can one dude in Africa spot them one day after the $500 app has been around for over a decade. How? You'll hear me complain about that for a long time to come.

Anyway, at least things are improving under Nerd3D. Two of the biggest thorns in my eyes, the JCM issue, the warping bulges issue have finally been resolved, along with a lot of other issues...

Thanks for your patience. Onwards!

You are so absolutely right that it's difficult to imagine how these issues can go unaddressed by the developers for years when it only takes a few minutes of using Poser to spot one... Change the camera with the widget and another camera can still be active in the palette (and no doubt this is 90% of people's problems trying to use the DoF/focal guide)... Hierarchy window is a mess and moves things around on its own... Saving a scene in the file requester doesn't update its thumbnail, same thumbnails shared by .pz3 and .pzz files... Changing from jpg to png forgets jpg compression settings... Loads of little things each of which should take no longer than a day to fix (if the devs have any idea what they are doing). We've compiled lists, discussed it endlessly, filed bug reports, all we can possibly do (and I'm loath to file reports because half the time I figure I'm the idiot and the program actually does work right... I mean it's not a bug if it does what they want it to do). So unlike you, I don't see things getting better until the oldest known issues are finally addressed (although if they are actively making your job creating ProjectE any easier, then kudos there).
Just when it seemed like I was going to finally make a break come along EZMat and ProjectE. I actually got my enthusiasm back for a brief moment a few months ago, until the last update (which may have been the single most underwhelming offering I've ever been pitched in 20+ years of upgrading animation software). I get it... I'm waiting for them to get serious about competing with iClone, they're still determined to play catch-up with Daz. And then there was the exodus from here to RDNA and then to wherever the humidity suits everyone that day... Anyway, great looking figure, and when she's up to your standards she will surely far exceed my own. Looking for a reason to use Poser for posing again, and not just for all of the other odd jobs I've kept it handy for. Maybe I'll even find a good reason to upgrade. Project E, EZMat, Reality, VWDynamics IMHO have brought/are bringing much more potential to users than the last couple official releases.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2016 at 9:14 AM · edited Wed, 25 May 2016 at 9:18 AM

“I get it…I’m still waiting for them to get serious about competing with Iclone,They’re still determined to play catch-up with Daz”

Hi why would you be waiting for SM to Get serious about competing with Iclone??

As an Iclone user I can attest that Iclone Was created specifically to address the needs of people who are interested in Visual story telling through CG Character animation and exporting & re-targeting that Character motion Data for use in other programs.

SM has correctly determined that the prevailing majority of what remains of their poser user base are still render makers (mostly female portraits).

Thus they have left the animation features of poser entombed back in the late 1990’s where they found them when they acquired poser from “E-frontier”

And the majority of the users here don’t care As they don’t animate.

I am certain that All of the “bugs” encountered by the project E development team have been well known by SM and the user base here. But why would SM care when they have a dedicated core group of loyalists/apologist’s Who will rush to buy the latest version ,sight unseen ,out of pure tribalist loyalty and proudly display their “Poser Ambassador” forum Avatars.

While their new product Manager publicly admits that the state of the animation tools “Makes me Sad”<<( A verbatim Quote)

As far as Daz goes, SM cant reasonably be expected to compete with the Loss Leader business model of the free Daz Studio with a $400+lumbering,regressive program with “poorly received” native figures.

Even with a poorly documented iteration of Blender cycles Duct taped on to it.

My website

YouTube Channel

bopperthijs ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2016 at 3:44 PM

I agree that the poser animations tools are not the best, therefore I found a nice little tool called DAZ studio, in which I can set up an animation that I can export to Poser, Poserpro has queue manager which let me render the animation on several computers and in the background so I still can use poser without having to wait untill it's finished. I wouldn't dare to call Cycles duck tape, without offending the whole blender community which has made a broad variety of samples and documentation about Cycles, which covers more than 90% of the poser implementation.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2016 at 3:47 PM · edited Wed, 25 May 2016 at 3:50 PM

Oh great.. yet more of the same irritating noise that's completely irrelevant to a thread that I was following. Is there no way to stop this? Edit: not you bopper :)

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2016 at 7:10 PM

Due to life my poser activity over the past couple of years has been lacking, but with the release of poser 11 I dipped my feet back into the rendering world, and noticed a huge shift, gone were the days of V4 and it seams everyone is on daz and using genesis, of which from what I can gather 1 and 2 work in poser with some tinkering but 3 is right out. so what are poser users using?.... I'm not going to waste my time playing around with genesis but this, this looks amazing, I'm hooked, I will be watching out for this.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2016 at 8:56 PM

IsaoShi posted at 9:47PM Thu, 26 May 2016 - #4270446

Oh great.. yet more of the same irritating noise that's completely irrelevant to a thread that I was following. Is there no way to stop this?

I only chimed in because Erogenesis brought up having encountered longstanding bugs while developing ProjectE and I wanted to thank him for persevering despite the obstacles. I wasn't trying to put down Poser so much as to note that all of the recent developments keeping me around were coming from the community rather than SM themselves. But the reality is that I would have paid the upgrade price just to have those issues addressed, while none of the new features are relevant to anything I am planning or currently working on. I feel the need to say that once in a while just to see whether or not I'm the only one.

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2016 at 9:12 PM

wolf359 posted at 9:57PM Thu, 26 May 2016 - #4270415

Hi why would you be waiting for SM to Get serious about competing with Iclone?? As an Iclone user I can attest that Iclone Was created specifically to address the needs of people who are interested in Visual story telling through CG Character animation and exporting & re-targeting that Character motion Data for use in other programs. SM has correctly determined that the prevailing majority of what remains of their poser user base are still render makers (mostly female portraits). And the majority of the users here don’t care As they don’t animate.

At the time I first bought Poser there was no iClone, and Poser was commonly used widely for visual storytelling. I always thought the prevalence of NVIATWAS images was because of new users not knowing what else to do, never guessing that was precisely all that many users apparently ever wanted to do. But to answer the question sincerely, it's because of things like HW shaders and the GameDev version leading me to think that Poser would evolve to be more like iClone over time. I've long assumed the animation thing is a catch 22. Firefly (and Superfly) render times are just too long for most users to bother with animation. If the preview quality were comparable to iClone's viewport then more people might attempt animating and SM would have more users asking for improvements in that area.

3DFineries ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2016 at 5:44 AM

Keep it on topic, please. The thread is veering off course as its main focus is about Project E, not software or which direction what software should go in or it's problems.

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

quietrob ( ) posted Sun, 29 May 2016 at 12:30 AM

Sooooo, is Project E going to be finished?

icprncss2 ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2016 at 11:06 PM

And will it ever work in P11 or Pro11?

Anim8dtoon ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2016 at 7:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Following this thread. I'm eager for Project E's release, and especially excited about her being able to take V4 textures because I've got LOTS of them. She just may be the best Poser figure ever to date!

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 6:25 AM · edited Sun, 10 July 2016 at 6:25 AM

FYI guys, for those that don't know, PE is postponed because there were just way to many problems, costing me too much money and time. I've fudged my own adaptation of PE and I'm now using her in my comics. I've decided to just concentrate on a very watered down version of the figure so that you guys can at least play with something. More info on my blog.

However to proceed even with this I need PE to work in P11. I need some of the new tech to complete it, and its just silly to release a figure that doesn't work in their latest version of Poser. I've asked Nerd to help sort this out, but I haven't heard anything from Nerd in a while. I hear he's sick or something. Without Nerd fixing the issues in P11 with PE, there's little I can do.

The main issue at the moment is that hardly any of the JCMs, FBMs or even body controls work in P11, while they work fine in PP2014. The issue of the FBMs is due to 'looped dependencies'. The excuse I got was that this was apparently a problem and caused instability in P10... (never had any issue with it). But now they 'fixed' it in P11. Well no they broke it basically. If they won't fix it, consider PE cancelled because its just ridiculous to expect me (or anyone) to delve into the CR2 and edit 300 lines of code that they broke (I actually did several times but couldn't spot anything). Another suspect is the new 'Master Sync' which I from day one suspected to be a very bad idea. I've been proved right many times and begged for them to make it optional and not default. But to no avail.

Guys, if any of you are in contact with SM, get them to fix this. Otherwise PE just ain't happening. Nerd has PE, I recently sent him another copy.

On a personal note: my relationship with Poser is at an end. If it wasn't for all the comic work I have planned, I'd already be using C4D now. I might be using Poser for a while until I have time to teach myself something new. Poser has great potential, one can still make great art with it, but somewhere between SM's style and the way Poser is designed, there is an enormous amount of fail that doesn't give me any confidence in a future with it.

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 6:28 AM · edited Sun, 10 July 2016 at 6:29 AM

and no she won't work with V4 clothing. DAZ will sue me to hell and back if I made her that way. I have however made mannequins and donors to smooth the process of converting the clothes. I will give detailed instructions on how to do this without Poser screwing it up for you.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 7:57 AM

erogenesis posted at 1:57PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275238

I've asked Nerd to help sort this out, but I haven't heard anything from Nerd in a while. I hear he's sick or something.

yeah... https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/463/where-did-chuck-disappear-to/2

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 9:16 AM

"On a personal note: my relationship with Poser is at an end. If it wasn't for all the comic work I have planned, I'd already be using C4D now."

Hi in the event that you have not upgraded to C4D R17, This may be of interest. http://www.kuroyumeszone.com/interposer-pro/

It does not actually require that poser be installed only standard runtime structure to access the poser content from within C4D(R16 or older)

My website

YouTube Channel

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 1:44 PM

Khai-J-Bach posted at 8:43PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275250

erogenesis posted at 1:57PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275238

I've asked Nerd to help sort this out, but I haven't heard anything from Nerd in a while. I hear he's sick or something.

yeah... https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/463/where-did-chuck-disappear-to/2

oops!

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 1:45 PM

wolf359 posted at 8:44PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275256

Hi in the event that you have not upgraded to C4D R17, This may be of interest. http://www.kuroyumeszone.com/interposer-pro</http:>

It does not actually require that poser be installed only standard runtime structure to access the poser content from within C4D(R16 or older)

Thanks, that's definitely on my list. I've checked out the demo but it's going to take a bit more than that to make the switch. C4D looks very promising.

Anim8dtoon ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 1:50 PM
Forum Moderator

erogenesis posted at 1:47PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275238

FYI guys, for those that don't know, PE is postponed because there were just way to many problems, costing me too much money and time. I've fudged my own adaptation of PE and I'm now using her in my comics. I've decided to just concentrate on a very watered down version of the figure so that you guys can at least play with something. More info on my blog.

However to proceed even with this I need PE to work in P11. I need some of the new tech to complete it, and its just silly to release a figure that doesn't work in their latest version of Poser. I've asked Nerd to help sort this out, but I haven't heard anything from Nerd in a while. I hear he's sick or something. Without Nerd fixing the issues in P11 with PE, there's little I can do.

The main issue at the moment is that hardly any of the JCMs, FBMs or even body controls work in P11, while they work fine in PP2014. The issue of the FBMs is due to 'looped dependencies'. The excuse I got was that this was apparently a problem and caused instability in P10... (never had any issue with it). But now they 'fixed' it in P11. Well no they broke it basically. If they won't fix it, consider PE cancelled because its just ridiculous to expect me (or anyone) to delve into the CR2 and edit 300 lines of code that they broke (I actually did several times but couldn't spot anything). Another suspect is the new 'Master Sync' which I from day one suspected to be a very bad idea. I've been proved right many times and begged for them to make it optional and not default. But to no avail.

Guys, if any of you are in contact with SM, get them to fix this. Otherwise PE just ain't happening. Nerd has PE, I recently sent him another copy.

On a personal note: my relationship with Poser is at an end. If it wasn't for all the comic work I have planned, I'd already be using C4D now. I might be using Poser for a while until I have time to teach myself something new. Poser has great potential, one can still make great art with it, but somewhere between SM's style and the way Poser is designed, there is an enormous amount of fail that doesn't give me any confidence in a future with it.

Erogenesis, what do you mean by a "very watered-down" version of PE? I would gladly pay for the full version, and I'm sure many others would do as well. You have way too much talent as it is to give up before the horse race is over! Keep plugging along and ultimately, there will be a successful outcome. Take it from a battle-scarred warrior like me! 😃

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 2:11 PM · edited Sun, 10 July 2016 at 2:12 PM

Anim8dtoon posted at 8:57PM Sun, 10 July 2016 - #4275288

Erogenesis, what do you mean by a "very watered-down" version of PE? I would gladly pay for the full version, and I'm sure many others would do as well. You have way too much talent as it is to give up before the horse race is over! Keep plugging along and ultimately, there will be a successful outcome. Take it from a battle-scarred warrior like me! 😃

Thanks for your confidence. The main issue is just that it took way too long due to all the bugs it uncovered, and I was going broke. Literally at every turn I took to avoid problems, I found another problem. Even when I was working with a Poser script guru, we discovered a bug in the API. I mean... seriously? It started to get ridiculous. Continuing development of this figure is a big risk for me, I'd be an idiot to continue. I have comics to make, that is the reason I started with 3D CGI, and in 40 years time I'll probably be dead. No time to waste on buggy software and companies that don't care about their customers.

So the watered-down version:

• Base figure + JCMs and body controls and facial rig
  • a set of base textures
  • a series of morph packs to choose from (quite a lot probably)
  • maybe a hair prop (figure) if I have time
  • content conversion donors and mannequins

What I'm sacrificing:

• removing redundant ghost bones (removing them will result in jumbled channels, among others)
  • improving the mesh (replacing the mesh result in jumbled channels, among others)
  • detailed content program
  • helpdesk limited to installation (I'm not going to do SM's work for them)

Despite that I wouldn't be surprised that she'd do well anyway. She's actually pretty awesome, I'm using a version of her for my comics. One thing is for sure, I am never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to make another Poser figure ever again. What a hell... and that is not exaggerated.

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 2:36 PM

@timberwolf: I am considering a PE rig in C4D if I make that switch, and yes C4D's easy UI is very attractive.

@wolf: so you'd recommend Max over C4D even, for characters?

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 2:49 PM

@wolf: so you'd recommend Max over C4D even, for characters?

Hi The link is for a C4D poser plugin that support nearly all poser formats. I was under the impression from your previous posts that you were already using C4D hence the link to the poser content plugin for C4D.

I have never used Autodesk Max I have been a C4Duser for over ten years but I stopped upgrading after R11.5 I now use Iclone pro for my Character animation creation for Genesis Rigs to be rendered in C4D.

My website

YouTube Channel

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 3:20 PM · edited Sun, 10 July 2016 at 3:24 PM

C4D killer as a Modeler n UI.C4D n rigged characters ,I don't know about.

I'd look at Lightwave,Maya,Max for rigged characters.I'd say there the top 3 for rigs. Depending on your budget. I'd say Maya,Max are the best.

Houdini ,I don't know about for rigs ,it's killer for cityscapes.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

jura11 ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 3:54 PM

Hi Ero

Really depends what you want to achieve,I worked like with C4D which I use most of my time in work,but still I prefer to work at home with 3DS MAX

C4D I like if I do animations as this SW is best in animation and there his best strength,for rendering I prefer work with 3DS MAX,most of the plugins are there available and most of the plugins works

What I like on C4D is stock render engine which is pretty much awesome,UI this I don't like on C4D,I prefer UI of 3DS MAX,but that's me

For characters and rendering of characters you still want to use different render engine,but all depends what you want to achieve

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks,Jura

willdial ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 6:38 PM

Hi erogenesis,

I understand your frustration with SM and Poser. I ran into so many issues my Genesis 3 updater that gave up twice. I really did not like how they did the weight maps for the translations. It feels like they just do the bare minimum and not very well at times.

Unfortunately, I have not found a good replacement for Poser. Everyone is either out of my budget range or not documented enough for me know if it can use my Poser archive.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2016 at 8:59 PM · edited Sun, 10 July 2016 at 9:00 PM

"I'd look at Lightwave,Maya,Max for rigged characters.I'd say there the top 3 for rigs"

Agreed ..To be honest C4D has never really been strong in the area of character animation and they dont seem to really focus on that aspect except for Cartoony types.

I use it for its really fast renderer.Lighting and large scene management and Direct connection Adobe after effects for compositing. If you are from a Poser/Daz background C4D will be a culture shock when you start to see what is required to Change hair & clothing or body shapes etc. I render my genesis characters in C4D as animated .obj files driven by MDD data exported from Daz studio

http://www.maxon.net/en/gallery/science-fiction-fantasy.html

My website

YouTube Channel

erogenesis ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2016 at 12:47 AM · edited Mon, 11 July 2016 at 12:49 AM

hey guys, thanks for the advice and tips!

I've been playing with Lightwave, houdini and C4D lately (demos obviously) and C4D came out the most attractive for me. Easy UI, fast renderer, poser stuff loads fairly easily (and also the option of interposer), and just feels nice to play with. Lightwave confused the hell out of me and didn't get any further then loading a mesh and exporting it. Houdini is actually pretty awesome for rigs I've seen, and I also like their node-based approach. The sky is the limit with that app. I played with it for a bit, but I think it might be a little over the top for what I do.

However since you guys keep on saying Max and Maya, I checked out a tut on Max rigging and I feel so stupid now. Its actually bloody easy! I've done this before using their character studio plugin, but that was ten years ago and I remembered that it was clunky to use, which it clearly isn't anymore. So I think Max has suddenly become a serious contender. I have it for modeling anyway so might as well make use of it for rigs too... I'm just dreading the materials interface. Maya confuses me. I've never understood that app properly.

@willdial: if Nerd can unfudge P11 so that PE can work in her, she'll most likely become a reality for you, unless I come across another massive bug, which is very possible. But even then I think I'll just ignore it and release her. For plug-and-play artists Poser is still perfectly fine, and PE might revive interest in Poser. Once you start demanding more from it, it just depends on how patient / tolerant you are, or how much content you have in your runtimes. It seems like you're not the average plug-n-play artist so don't be too scared of looking further if it will help you with your art. I'll probably be using Poser for a while still since I can make comics with PP2014 for another year or two easily, but at some point I will want to start making more complex figures, and aspire to better renders, and that's just not happening in Poser. Poser goes for $500, but for the extra freedom, reliability and options, C4D and Lightwave are not that much more expensive. Lightwave was on sale recently for something like $750 I think. C4D has many options for Poser content and it actually loads pretty easily. The figures might be a bit of an issue though.

There's also another contender and that is Modo. I tried it recently and immediately spotted some workflow issues. But I need to give it another try using tutorials because I've seen that its quite a good app with what it can do and for the price.

erogenesis ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2016 at 2:05 AM

lol so I try Poserfusion for max, load scene... crash.

In all the years I've used max (since 2001), its crashed maybe 5 times (to compare: Poser crashes almost daily). Max is like a brick wall, you can abuse it to all hell, it won't fall. And then i install a plugin made by SM... crash. And there's no use reporting it, I'll get some excuse: you have the wrong version of max, something wrong with your video card, etc etc... No how about you guys just suck at software development?

yeah I might have a poser trauma. Sigh

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2016 at 9:19 AM · edited Mon, 11 July 2016 at 9:19 AM

"ol so I try Poserfusion for max, load scene... crash.

In all the years I've used max (since 2001), its crashed maybe 5 times (to compare: Poser crashes almost daily). Max is like a brick wall, you can abuse it to all hell, it won't fall. And then i install a plugin made by SM... crash. And there's no use reporting it, I'll get some excuse: you have the wrong version of max, something wrong with your video card, etc etc... No how about you guys just suck at software development?yeah I might have a poser trauma. Sigh"

Hi the reason I never bothered with the "poser fusion" plugins for C4D ,Max or lightwave etc was just as you described.

SM compiles ONE version of the poser fusion plugin for whatever build of MAX,MAYA,Lightwave that they actually have in hand and declares it a done deal.

The problem is that Autodesk ,Newtek,Maxon are frequently releasing minor "bug fix builds" that only change the build number and the program just enough to break compatibility with the ,now outdated" "poser fusion" plugin and SM does not have the resources to keep updating the plugins to stay current with all of those other host applications.

Interposer pro for C4D has been my saviour for years but now that I am using only genesis even interposer is no longer that relevant.

for me its export obj+MDD animation Data from DS and import obj+ MDD data to C4D to render animated G1-2 Characters in C4D

My website

YouTube Channel

jura11 ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2016 at 12:43 PM

erogenesis posted at 6:19PM Mon, 11 July 2016 - #4275341

lol so I try Poserfusion for max, load scene... crash.

In all the years I've used max (since 2001), its crashed maybe 5 times (to compare: Poser crashes almost daily). Max is like a brick wall, you can abuse it to all hell, it won't fall. And then i install a plugin made by SM... crash. And there's no use reporting it, I'll get some excuse: you have the wrong version of max, something wrong with your video card, etc etc... No how about you guys just suck at software development?

yeah I might have a poser trauma. Sigh

Hi Ero

I would try export scene as OBJ or FBX,this works for me,but OBJ works flawlessly for me as I don't do any kind animations in 3DS MAX,you can try DAE and many other formats and then decide

Regarding Poser Fusion plugin,this has happens me few times and due this I use only OBJ or any other format

What I like on 3DS MAX is material studio which is easy to understand and I prefer to use slate material editor and normal material editor works too,but this depends what you want to achieve

If you are still have Max installed,please try Corona Renderer A6 which is free renderer and I rate this renderer very highly,yes their commercial Corona 1.4 is better,but is not free

https://corona-renderer.com/blog/corona-alpha6-is-out/

And if you have this installed then I would suggest this

http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/CoronaConverter.html

Its converter of materials,I use this to convert V-RAY materials to Corona mats

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

erogenesis ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2016 at 2:32 PM · edited Mon, 11 July 2016 at 2:35 PM

hey guys, thanks again for the tips and advice. The FBX version was a disaster! I decided to just go with the OBJ files which allows me to make use of the morphs I made quite accurately. I'm going to re-rig her fron scratch in Max, I wanna avoid any drama and just start fresh. But hey, rigging in Max is much easier than I remember, and there's so many more options with handles, IK and constraints its crazy. I think I might have actually found my next app. Its stupid that I never realized it before. Materials are still a bit of a challenge, but I think with a few tuts it should be good.

Anyway, let me not hijack my own thread and get back to PE lol! But before I do, I wanna show you guys this: pe.mesh4.5 in 3dsmax, morphs are working! I can entirely see pe.mesh5 getting released as a max figure.

Lali in Max 04.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.