Mon, May 13, 10:11 PM CDT

Welcome to the The Break Room Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Lobo3433

The Break Room F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 12 8:23 am)

Subject: Few questions for members of the community who once used to make 3d art.

DocMikeB ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2023 at 10:58 AM · edited Thu, 09 May 2024 at 1:24 AM

First of all, this is NOT an AI bashing thread or the start of a 3D VS AI fight.

I wish I could create an anonymous poll; eventually in the future I could create one using a free and trustworthy survey site (unfortunately there are many fishy ones), but for the moment I will ask few questions.

Everyone can reply and every opinion is welcome, but the main "target" of my informal survey are the members who used to make 3D art and now switched completely or mostly to AI Generated content.

I am not talking about some occasional test with AI generators (I too downloaded Stable Diffusion on my PC) but about a significant shift / tool replacement. There are not rigid parameters to tell if you belong or not to the group, I prefer to apply "fuzzy" logic. But if more than the 50% of your current content (what you have produced and uploaded in the last 6 months) is AI generated you could reply to this poll.

1)Are you still using Poser / DAZ / other 3d render applications?

A)Yes, lately I posted less 3d renderings but I still use often my favorite 3d programs.
B)I use less than in the past because now I am exploring AI but in the future I could use again more 3d apps.
C)Now I use rarely / very rarely 3d programs and probably I will keep using mostly AI generators.
D)
No, not anymore.

2)What made you change your habit? (you can select more than one). 

A)Ease of use of AI.
B)Lack of time (3d requires more time).
C)Curiosity and will to explore the potential of a new medium.
D)Other (please explain).

3)Are you still willing to buy 3D content or to download and use 3D freebies?

A)Yes, even paid content.
B)Yes but only if free or very affordable.
C)Yes but significantly less than in the past and only if I can't produce something similar with AI.
D)No, not anymore.

I am a 3d modeler and I'd like to understand the new trend.

It should be a public debate, polite, friendly and not judgmental, but if you prefer to keep confidential you can send me a PM. 

Thank you in advance for reading.

DocMikeB ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2023 at 11:19 AM · edited Wed, 17 May 2023 at 11:23 AM

4)When you started using AI you were using Poser / DAZ / other 3D applications for:

A)More than 10 years.
B)5-10 years.
C)1-5 years.
D)Less than 1 year.

5)Do you have 3d modeling skills?

A)Professional (advanced 3d modeling with applications like Blender, 3dsmax, Maya or other).
B)Hobbyist (intermediate 3d modeling / beginner learning and following tutorials).
C)Basic (creating simple scenes with props and primitives).
D)No skills.

6)If you are a beginner (B - C of previous question): did AI affect your will to learn 3D modeling and/or to improve your skills?

A)No, at all... I am still willing to learn and improve my skills with 3D like before.
B)Currently I am slightly less willing to learn and improve my skills with 3D but in the future could find again the will.
C)I am a lot less willing to learn and improve, because AI mostly replaced 3D in my pipeline.
D)I am no longer willing, AI totally replaced 3D in my pipeline.

Amaranth ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2023 at 5:17 AM

I'll have a go at this :)

1) Are you still using Poser / DAZ / other 3d render applications?

A)Yes, Ai is a break from my promo image work

2) What made you change your habit? (you can select more than one). 

/

3) Are you still willing to buy 3D content or to download and use 3D freebies?

A) Yes, I buy 3D content weekly at times daily

4) When you started using AI you were using Poser / DAZ / other 3D applications for:

A) More than 10 years (18 years to be exact)

5) Do you have 3d modeling skills?

A) Professional (advanced 3d modeling with applications like Blender, 3dsmax, Maya or other). 

Ai can inspire me too as an artist, not to copy anything but just as a moodboard for an upcoming new project. 

Amaranth3D

Staticon ( ) posted Thu, 31 August 2023 at 1:29 AM

OK! I'll chip in as well. :)

A)Yes, mostly Bryce 7 but have also tried other applications such as Blender, Terragen, Incendia and two or three more obscure rendering packages.

2)What made you change your habit? (you can select more than one).

I haven't

A)Yes, though, as a pensioner I use a lot of free stuff, I do sometimes treat myself to a paid item.

4)When you started using AI you were using Poser / DAZ / other 3D applications for:

A)More than 10 years. (I started playing with Bryce 2 back in 1997 - Wow! 26 years ago.)

B)Hobbyist (But reasonably skilled. I use Metasequioa for creating simple objects or modifying existing ones).

6)If you are a beginner (B - C of previous question): did AI affect your will to learn 3D modeling and/or to improve your skills?

A)No, not at all... I am still willing to learn and improve my skills with 3D like before.

Lenord ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2023 at 1:02 PM

3, I'll answer your 3rd question first. I am/was a Fractalist so I never DL Content I have download some Mojoworld freebies as I also use Mojoworld as well as severan Fractal apps.

1. I use Mandelbulb3D, Mandelbulber and Apophysis Fractal apps and Mojoworld Planet builder.

I changed because AI afforded me to do things I couldn't otherwise do, I did AI exclusively for about 6-7 months but recently stopped using AI because of financial reasons.

2. AI was fascinating, 

3. Never bought 3D Content or DLd 3D freebies

4. I have used Mojoworld and Apophysis 15 years or so Mandelbulb3D, Mandelbulber since their inception...what 10 yars ago or so

5. Basic

6.  Oh hell yeah a day without learning somethin new is a day wasted. AI has improved my Lighting abilities and Composition in Fractals and Mojo

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2023 at 6:48 AM

A)Yes, lately I posted less 3d renderings but I still use often my favorite 3d programs.

CARRARA,  DAZ Studio, Twinmotion and iClone6 in that order

2)What made you change your habit? (you can select more than one). 

A)Ease of use of AI.

B)Lack of time (3d requires more time).

D)inspiration for a unimaginative mind

All of the above

A)Yes, even paid content.

A)More than 10 years.

B)Hobbyist (intermediate 3d modeling / beginner learning and following tutorials).

I bring AI art into Zbrush as depth maps for alphas, textures for polypainting and guidance for sculpting regulary

I rig and animate them in Carrara frequently 

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

maneki_neko ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2023 at 9:37 PM

B)I use less than in the past because now I am exploring AI but in the future I could use again more 3d apps.

2)What made you change your habit? (you can select more than one). 

A)Ease of use of AI.
B)Lack of time (3d requires more time). ESPECIALLY ON AN OLD CRAPPY LAPTOP
D)Other : i have a very old crappy lame laptop, means i can't even use "new" features (dforce, LAMH, particles etc) or heavy HD figures / every single little test takes an eternity to render and i give up many of my scenes tired and frustrated after a while / my scenes crash often or lag / i have to delete a lot of props from beautiful big scenes (landscapes etc) otherwise crash+lag / final rendering can only be made during my sleep because my (only) laptop is busy for hours rendering so slowly, and i can't render very big images over 1200x900 so practically unprintable .. short, 3d is/has become a source of more frustration than joy as the requirements have gotten higher (but anyway i never owned a high-end machine in the 1st place so i've always been very limited), because my machine is a worthless piece of crap and i'm too broke/poor to afford another, even 2nd hand. with AI i had a lot of fun, produce stuff i love, and i'm not limited by my stupid hardware.

A)Yes, even paid content. IF I REALLY WANT IT AT ALL COSTS I MIGHT SPLURGE OCCASIONALLY
B)Yes but only if free or very affordable. IF I CAN DO WITHOUT IT I'LL LEAVE IT ON MY WISHLIST UNTIL IT'S A BARGAIN BECAUSE I'M BROKE/POOR

A)More than 10 years.

B)Hobbyist (intermediate 3d modeling / beginner learning and following tutorials).HAD SOME CINEMA4D AT SCHOOL, BUT FORGOT A LOT, AND SO MANY THINGS HAVE BEEN DONE ALREADY, WHY INVENT THE WHEEL TWICE WITH NOT SO MUCH TALENT...
C)Basic (creating simple scenes with props and primitives). SO IT'S WHAT I DO NOW

B)Currently I am slightly less willing to learn and improve my skills with 3D but in the future could find again the will. BUT NOT BECAUSE OF AI, RATHER THAT MY FOCUS IS SHOT, MY LEARNING ABILITY IS SLOW AND ERRATIC ETC. WHAT I'D REALLY WANT BESIDES PURE AI CREATION BY ITSELF IS TO EMBELLISH MY 3D SCENES, TO GIVE THEM THE EXTRA OOMPH, BUT UP TO NOW IT WASN'T A SUCCESS, NOT WITH FREE AI LIKE NIGHTCAFE, THE RESULTS ARE TOO DIFFERENT THEY ARE NEW IMAGES WITH MINE JUST AS REFERENCE, NOT WHAT I WANT (and a PITA to explain the AI what's in my image, lol)

IN THE END, MERITOCRACY HAS NOT ONLY PERMEATED OUR DAILY LIVES AND WORK, BUT ALSO OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR PERCEPTION OF ART...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.