Tue, May 7, 10:00 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 07 9:02 am)

Subject: Is Poser development dead?

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2018 at 12:15 PM

Tony_Stark posted at 7:10PM Wed, 05 September 2018 - #4335808

This debate is irrelevant. Every person makes their own choice of whether to stay with Poser or not. I was a Poser cheerleader until DAZ Studio offered better software for free. Over the years, DAZ offered content that totally eclipsed Poser's offerings. I bought Poser 8 out of nostalgia, but quickly decided it had nothing to offer me. I don't see any reason to go back to Poser.

I took a break from Poser with release 10. Felt empty, needed new input. Started playing around with DS. Then DAZ introduced Genesis3 and IRAY. After a year playing around with DS, PoserPro11 was released. I expected SM to take the torch and come out with something phenominal, but ... F*** don't want to talk about that again.

butznutz ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2018 at 3:36 AM

I agree Poser is dead. RIP

philebus ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2018 at 11:51 AM

This all seems a tad premature to me and I would need more information before I'd be happy to make any judgement. Until anything significant changes, Poser is still my tool of choice and works just fine for what I want to do, there's still more in my wish lists than I can afford to buy this lifetime, and I'm adding to them now that I'm converting some studio content to Poser. I've been around to have seen Poser development stall before, so I'm going to wait and see and not worry - life's too short.

patorak3d ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2018 at 2:56 PM

Poser is dead!?! When the hell did this happen?

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2018 at 11:54 AM

I simply refuse to let other people tell me that my software of choice is dead, dead, dead, and that I should use the other one, or that one, or thaz .

Silly me just insisting on using my software of choice and not listening to thaz propaganda. Tsk-tsk-tsk!

Karina

bantha ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2018 at 12:17 PM

Poser has been declared dead for numerous times. The last published patch was already done by the new team. I expect a new version this fall. I think that Ero said that some of the bugs which pested him while creating Project E will be adressed, so I guess there will be a new version. Just done by a different team.

But even if not, P11 does work for me. I don't like the Genesis figures that much. I don't know if Iray is really that much better. Heck, if there won't be another version this year I will get Octane to see if it renders better.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2018 at 1:12 PM

patorak3d posted at 10:47AM Mon, 10 September 2018 - #4335974

Poser is dead!?! When the hell did this happen?

It hasn't.

OTOH, people have been shouting from the rooftops that Poser is dead since December 2004 (Poser 5) that I am personally aware of. Most of which is done by people that are using other software and have an emotional investment in Poser actually dying off.

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2018 at 6:42 AM · edited Tue, 11 September 2018 at 6:49 AM

bantha posted at 12:07PM Tue, 11 September 2018 - #4336030

But even if not, P11 does work for me. I don't like the Genesis figures that much. I don't know if Iray is really that much better. Heck, if there won't be another version this year I will get Octane to see if it renders better.

Unless someone goes into technical details in regards to why Iray should be better than Superfly (Cycles), I really don't think that the issue is with the render engines as much as it is with everything else.

Both of them can produce very good looking images. But I think a lot of people are fooled by Iray using HDRI by default, which gives it a nice look if you just do a quick render. Whereas Poser doesn't, so you have to setup this manually.

Here is a quick test, with a plane and a sphere.

Cycles_Iray.jpg

Looking at Poser default, it looks rather poor, dull colors, weird shadows and the low default render settings doesn't improve it either. The Iray default, even though its very bright looks more pleasing than Poser does.

The last two I have added HDRI to Poser, increased the render settings to better match the time Iray uses. And I have turned down the intensity of Iray default light as well. Personal to me I think cycle give a better result in this case, the shadow underneath the sphere seems to bright in the Iray. This is not to say that Iray is then worse than Cycle as pretty much no settings have been tweaked or any effort made to actually setup lighting, its pretty much as default as possible.

So what becomes interesting when looking at these, at least to me have little to do with the engines themselves, but rather options available. Daz does shine in HDRI compared to Poser, there is really no default controls here, where you have a lot in Daz. It doesn't mean that Poser handles HDRI worse, but simply that you lack a lot of control here compared to Daz.

Here is a test of glass:

Cycles_Iray_glass.jpg

Again only HDRI is used, which are not the same maps for each program, but regardless of that, I don't think that cycles does a worse job at this than Iray.

Last is a single spotlight test:

Cycles_Iray_spotlight.jpg

Again the results are slightly different, due to not using the exact same settings. But wouldnt say that cycle does a worse job here either. There is a black weird box in the Iray render, which might be because of the sphere being at lower resolution than the one in Poser, but to me it looks like a bug in Iray and have no clue why it is there.

To me, it seems like there is a bit of confusion or miscommunication whenever there is a talk about what render engine is better, because unless you are really getting into the technical stuff, which I can't :D. I think its more a comparison of what options are available in each program. And currently in my opinion Daz have better options overall, whereas Poser lacks a bit, especially when it comes to controlling HDRI, but also I think a lot of Poser users, because HDRI is not used by default and might not know how to set it up, draw the conclusion that Iray must be better then, which is simply not true, when it comes to render quality, i see very little difference between them visually and pretty much comes down to how they interprets light in the end. So having more options or better control is a benefit in Daz compared to Poser. For instant the camera an light controls are not very good in Poser, I think. But is something that could and should be fix in a new Poser version. Then you have some bloom controls etc in Daz which is also nice, but again these are more effects, than actual render engine qualities. And can easily be added in Photoshop afterwards.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2018 at 7:16 AM

bantha posted at 2:12PM Tue, 11 September 2018 - #4336030

Poser has been declared dead for numerous times. The last published patch was already done by the new team. I expect a new version this fall. I think that Ero said that some of the bugs which pested him while creating Project E will be adressed, so I guess there will be a new version. Just done by a different team.

An expensive, but best solution. When playing with PE in Poser, I render my scene with Octane Render only.

patorak3d ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2018 at 8:52 PM

Whew! Thanks everyone. Glad to hear Poser ain't dead.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2018 at 9:03 AM

patorak3d posted at 8:02AM Wed, 12 September 2018 - #4336136

'Rosity is no longer the "go-to" place for Poser news. The SM forums are the place to be.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2018 at 11:05 AM

ssgbryan posted at 6:01PM Wed, 12 September 2018 - #4336154

patorak3d posted at 8:02AM Wed, 12 September 2018 - #4336136

'Rosity is no longer the "go-to" place for Poser news. The SM forums are the place to be.

@ patorak3d: Anything you'll need to know is there.Never say "DAZ" there. Those maniacs will rip you into pieces ;-)

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2018 at 4:55 PM · edited Thu, 13 September 2018 at 4:58 PM

.Never say "DAZ" there. Those maniacs will rip you into pieces ;-)

Perhaps, but at least the SM forum mods do not automaticly delete any post containing the words "Daz Studio"

The way Daz nukes any posts that mentions: " Reallusion Character creator 3" anywhere on their site.

This new stand alone program coming from Reallusion ,terrifies DAZ because it has its own high quality ,Ideal BMI ,white women models,Nvidia IRay, and will autofit NON Daz clothing from the Reallusion marketplace, to imported Daz genesis models.

Competition is good.😏

My website

YouTube Channel

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2018 at 6:43 PM · edited Thu, 13 September 2018 at 6:47 PM

wolf359 posted at 7:42PM Thu, 13 September 2018 - #4336208

.Never say "DAZ" there. Those maniacs will rip you into pieces ;-)

Perhaps, but at least the SM forum mods do not automaticly delete any post containing the words "Daz Studio"

The way Daz nukes any posts that mentions: " Reallusion Character creator 3" anywhere on their site.

This new stand alone program coming from Reallusion ,terrifies DAZ because it has its own high quality ,Ideal BMI ,white women models,Nvidia IRay, and will autofit NON Daz clothing from the Reallusion marketplace, to imported Daz genesis models.

Competition is good.😏

I see your posts over there, I see you mention iclone all the time with no deletions. You get called on those figures' quality by other members though. If the posts get deleted, it's probably because the fight that ensues constitutes an app war TOS violation.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 12:00 AM

I rarely delete posts. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, software of choice, etc.

Ironically, everyone already knows that.....

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 12:57 AM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 12:58 AM

I'm trying to find some painting software's of choice that's fastest n easiest with seems. Anybody got any opinions on killer painting app's that laughs at seems ?

How to know if a software is dead ? are there any 2018 reanders ,videos with that app ? From the looks of Posers 2018 countless Reanders .the question has definitely been answered.

also there's a eastern Poser we never talk to them different languages n all

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 2:54 AM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 3:02 AM

RorrKonn posted at 2:44AM Fri, 14 September 2018 - #4336213

I'm trying to find some painting software's of choice that's fastest n easiest with seems. Anybody got any opinions on killer painting app's that laughs at seems ?

Zbrush Mudbox 3D Coat and most other 3D modeling programs can all paint across seams. Photoshop can import obj's also but never had the desire myself to use that feature so can't really comment on how well the results would be. Basically anything you can import your obj into which has a painting/texturing feature can do that.(paint across seams) Which is best? The one you can afford or know and works for you is the best one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 7:47 AM

well I can imagine all the naysayers rubbing various body parts with glee - and probably some glitter glue 😁 - at the news CP is closing and their store is coming here to rendo. They won't take that as SM might be focusing on dev rather worrying about running a sweet shop. Then again it's always been like ever since I've been into 3d, yea literally from day one there's been threads saying poser is dead, well 20 years later it's still here unlike many of those claming it's demise 😀

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 8:44 AM

if the posts get deleted, it's probably because the fight that ensues constitutes an app war TOS violation.

Wrong...... from a recent Daz Email notifiying me why my

post was removed:

wolf359 :-Post removed "A post you made to the "Editing Gen 8 in Blender than importing back to Daz, iclone pipeline" thread has been removed as it was simply endorsing an off-site commercial product."

The OP asked about options for sending G8 the Iclone or Blender for animation and bringing back the Data to Daz studio. I explained his options for the two way trip using Iclone 3Dxchange application or .NO problem

The problem was when the OP mentioned that the upcoming Reallusion Character Creator 3 wont need the
separate 3DXchange program to import Genesis figures
and will fit Reallusion clothing to Genesis Via Reallusions
new version of "Autofit"

POOF!!...entire thread Deleted

Yes I can still mention Iclone over there but only in the context of sending a Genesis figure to Iclone Via the 3D exchange program to create exportable BVH motion Data which is what I do in My animated film pipeline.

However any mention of the features of Character creator 3 are deleted and... NO, I dont post links to any offsite competing products.

There is a new thread right now, in the Daz forums, About how Daz has nothing like the poser morph brush. It wont be deleted.for " endorsing an off-site commercial product."

In fact Daz has an actual poser subforum and Poser does not even officialy support the latest genesis Figures& content from the Daz store.

But alas Daz clearly does not consider poser to be direct competition any longer

Notice how Daz has deleted the years old Forum Sticky thread about using genesis in IClone

This deletion coincides with the announcement of the features of Character creator 3.

No problem and to be fair The DAZ forums are Private property.. they can delete any post for any reason as can Rosity or the SM poser forums.

BTW, the new reallusion base female figures do not have to look as good or "better" than genesis 8.

They only have to look better than the poser native girls and be very easy to develop clothing& content for, to attract
Content Devs to the Reallusion marketplace.

Reallusion Character creator is perfectly suited to this task because their "Autofit" will work with nearly Any imported

Biped humanoid (Max ,Maya human IK ,poser,Daz genesis ) and their included Decimate" feature will have one click optimization of rigs for export to game engines (Unity ,unreal etc)

The future of 3D is in Realtime & Character animation where the there is real money to be made.

Daz Studio is a still render potrait program, not targeted to that growing market and thier "Morph3D" sister site has not really made much headway with the gaming community.

IMHO Any potential "poser refugees "looking for a new figure platform, will soon have a real & viable choice other than Daz studio, replete with pretty white girls and PBR.

Competition is good for the consumer.

My website

YouTube Channel

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 8:47 AM

Maybe they should throw in poser also,they would probably take better care of it.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 9:35 AM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 9:42 AM

wolf359 posted at 10:33AM Fri, 14 September 2018 - #4336219

if the posts get deleted, it's probably because the fight that ensues constitutes an app war TOS violation.

Wrong...... from a recent Daz Email notifiying me why my

post was removed:

wolf359 :-Post removed "A post you made to the "Editing Gen 8 in Blender than importing back to Daz, iclone pipeline" thread has been removed as it was simply endorsing an off-site commercial product."

The OP asked about options for sending G8 the Iclone or Blender for animation and bringing back the Data to Daz studio. I explained his options for the two way trip using Iclone 3Dxchange application or .NO problem

The problem was when the OP mentioned that the upcoming Reallusion Character Creator 3 wont need the
separate 3DXchange program to import Genesis figures
and will fit Reallusion clothing to Genesis Via Reallusions
new version of "Autofit"

POOF!!...entire thread Deleted

Yes I can still mention Iclone over there but only in the context of sending a Genesis figure to Iclone Via the 3D exchange program to create exportable BVH motion Data which is what I do in My animated film pipeline.

However any mention of the features of Character creator 3 are deleted and... NO, I dont post links to any offsite competing products.

There is a new thread right now, in the Daz forums, About how Daz has nothing like the poser morph brush. It wont be deleted.for " endorsing an off-site commercial product."

In fact Daz has an actual poser subforum and Poser does not even officialy support the latest genesis Figures& content from the Daz store.

But alas Daz clearly does not consider poser to be direct competition any longer

Notice how Daz has deleted the years old Forum Sticky thread about using genesis in IClone

This deletion coincides with the announcement of the features of Character creator 3.

No problem and to be fair The DAZ forums are Private property.. they can delete any post for any reason as can Rosity or the SM poser forums.

BTW, the new reallusion base female figures do not have to look as good or "better" than genesis 8.

They only have to look better than the poser native girls and be very easy to develop clothing& content for, to attract
Content Devs to the Reallusion marketplace.

Reallusion Character creator is perfectly suited to this task because their "Autofit" will work with nearly Any imported

Biped humanoid (Max ,Maya human IK ,poser,Daz genesis ) and their included Decimate" feature will have one click optimization of rigs for export to game engines (Unity ,unreal etc)

The future of 3D is in Realtime & Character animation where the there is real money to be made.

Daz Studio is a still render potrait program, not targeted to that growing market and thier "Morph3D" sister site has not really made much headway with the gaming community.

IMHO Any potential "poser refugees "looking for a new figure platform, will soon have a real & viable choice other than Daz studio, replete with pretty white girls and PBR.

Competition is good for the consumer.

LOL, well that's standard for any site, not just ole evil DAZ. Go plug a competing product on zbrush's or Maya's site and see how long your account lasts. If you want to sell the virtues of a product, you'd do better writing a blog. Honestly that's rather bad forum etiquette to do that, that's why those posts get blasted. Not sure why there is a discussion of the virtues of iclones figures in a "Is Poser development dead" thread anyway.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 12:06 PM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 12:07 PM

That is part of what is wrong with the 3D community if you ask me. If someone posts a tutorial that goes outside of a program, more often than not it is because it is easier to use another program or one doesn't do it in the first place. People talk about ways of texturing here, and Rendo owns Blacksmith. Are they deleting all other threads and posts about texturing?

Granted, forums do have the right to delete whatever they want too. But in the end that drives people away.

There are times that things need to go for bashing, insults, etc. But I don't see any reason to delete threads about using other programs with one.

Yes, it can be said that you are endorsing another program. But if it is also endorsing the first one......

Well, I guess it just comes down to whom is deleting, and if you stay there.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 1:33 PM

That is part of what is wrong with the 3D community if >you ask

me. If someone posts a tutorial that goes outside of a program,

more often than not it is because it is easier to use another

program or one doesn't do it in the first place. People talk >about

ways of texturing here, and Rendo owns Blacksmith. Are they

deleting all other threads and posts about texturing?

@shvrdavid depends on the area of specialty in which deleting party feel "threatened"

For example Daz does not really consider themselves a Character animation program despite the fact that they have decent third party add-ons for Character animation (aniMate2 ,graphMate,keyMate,mimic live and "Dforce" as a native feature)

Daz sells aniblocks in their store for animating Daz genesis Characters in Daz studio.

I am a vendor over at Flipbookmarketdotcom. Well sell Character animation Data For Max .Maya, Daz Genesis and Poser. My products are for Genesis 2 M/F and the G3 female and I am planning a major release of complex action motions for G8 with ragdoll physics etc.

I have a direct link to my store at Flipbook in my form signature that appears under every post I make in the Daz forums.

Daz has no problem with me essentialy "spamming" for"an offsite commercial entity" that sells animated .duf files for genesis in direct competition with the aniblocks in the Daz store.

Daz never deleted any Iclone discussions because the Iclone women all looked like this: (see the attached image)

Now that they look radically better and can be naked, and will have the option of buit in NVDIA IRay rendering Daz has a "different" policy

That is perfectly fine their forum.. their rules. As Reallusion is seeking to dominate Game Character Asset creation along with human body & facial mocap hardware integration and realtime Autodesk human IK Character motion creation &editing in one unified suite of tools.

As each new genesis release broke compatibilty with Iclone3DXchange, Reallusion has wisely chosen not to depend on a third party providing them with decent looking figures and have developed their own as well as the ability to use other programs figures via FBX.

I personally find it rather ironic that when the disgruntled poser users complained that Genesis 3 and beyond, was not natively compatible with poser, they were rightly told :

"Sorry go tell SM to Fix poser to accept our figure format"

and now that Reallusion Character Creator has done this very thing, they have become the Enemy that shall not be mentioned on the Daz forums.

In general it is Good to see more options for us consumers. Long live capitalism!! gwen ic5reduced.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 2:02 PM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 2:14 PM

really? is that last image supposed to represent.....The future? Meh.. I'll stick to Zbrush n Maya/Max and the old stuff we have here in the past. thats realistic...look it up. not mine but since were going way off topic............... dont brag about a programs abilities and post trash images that look like poser 4 chicks

Catwoman-3D-Model2.jpgCatwoman-3D-Character.jpgcv.jpg

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 3:29 PM

TheDarkerSideOfArt posted at 4:24PM Fri, 14 September 2018 - #4336231

really? is that last image supposed to represent.....The future? Meh.. I'll stick to Zbrush n Maya/Max and the old stuff we have here in the past.

LOL see, that's how those fights start! But maybe the iclone image looks a little better if it was actually rendered. The screenshot of the program makes the figure look dated and I'm sure that wasn't the intent of the example. But still this is way off topic, but it shows why wolfs posts were deleted.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 4:02 PM

Anyways there's the Poser plugs for Max,LW n all. There's a GoZ Poser .DAZ has always been the main character builder for Poser. Now it's the part of DAZ that's called HW .Poser has Pixar's n Blender in it.There's Octane suport etc etc So Posers connected to a lot of app's. and why wouldn't it be cool to talk about connected app's ? Is Substance supported in Poser yet ?

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 4:05 PM · edited Fri, 14 September 2018 at 4:09 PM

really? is that last image supposed to represent.....The future?

No... you did not read my post that attached image is what the Iclone figures used look like few years ago, when Daz did not care if we discussed Iclone on their forums.

https://youtu.be/f0PbNMZqG30

character-creator-3-iray.jpg

they look more like this now see the video link.

My website

YouTube Channel

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 4:22 PM

Oh lol my bad man. I was kind of wondering with that last image,what the hell is he so excited about! lol

wimvdb ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2018 at 10:14 PM

wolf359 posted at 5:11AM Sat, 15 September 2018 - #4336239

really? is that last image supposed to represent.....The future?

No... you did not read my post that attached image is what the Iclone figures used look like few years ago, when Daz did not care if we discussed Iclone on their forums.

https://youtu.be/f0PbNMZqG30

character-creator-3-iray.jpg

they look more like this now see the video link.

What is so special about that? Rendering and figures are not really exciting or special.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2018 at 3:52 AM

@ TheDarkerSideOfArt: Yeah, that's what I call renders. Ther is one more painful truth. There is also the Poser users responsibility. Don't complain about SM. Do better, make better scenes and renders. Stop those dead eyed Dawn and V4 renders. You have Superfly now and most renders still look flat and like done back in 2006. Check out the Poser Staff Picks Sept3. to 9. Only 4 out of 12 winners posts, actually have an acceptable quality. Is this realy representing a modern software? The future of Poser is also in your hands. Be an inspiration to others.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2018 at 4:15 AM

What is so special about that? Rendering and figures are not really exciting or special.

No... not really however if you dont care for the new Reallusion bases the Character creator 3 pipeline will also support the Hivewire figures, the latest Daz genesis figures and Vicky4 and Mike 4 natively for posing ,animating in Iclone and easy clothing development in a completely new ecosystem of content outside of DAZ.

Always Good to see viable alternatives in the Prefab 3D figure market IMHO.

My website

YouTube Channel

ironsoul ( ) posted Sat, 15 September 2018 at 2:21 PM

Technology is not the issue its how its applied, the image posted by TheDarkerSideOfArt are impressive because they where achieved despite the software not because of it. Go back 20 years to the images that inspired you to start it is the same.

false1 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2018 at 11:08 AM

Wait. No iClone for Mac? I almost got excited.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2018 at 12:55 PM

I was a mac os user for 20 years during my previous career as Professional Graphic Designer for print.

When I became seriously interested in CG Character animation It seemed all of the really cool character animation tools were on windows.

When I Discovered Iclone pro pipeline and found it was windows only,..migrating to windows was a "no brainer" for me.

My website

YouTube Channel

false1 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2018 at 1:16 PM

wolf359 posted at 2:13PM Sun, 16 September 2018 - #4336286

I was a mac os user for 20 years during my previous career as Professional Graphic Designer for print.

When I became seriously interested in CG Character animation It seemed all of the really cool character animation tools were on windows.

When I Discovered Iclone pro pipeline and found it was windows only,..migrating to windows was a "no brainer" for me.

Don't blame you. I'm still a professional graphic designer for print. Wouldn't give up the Mac for one program but I have been seriously thinking about adding a PC to my arsenal. I don't think Apple cares about creatives these days (unless they're on ios).

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2018 at 1:37 PM

Does apple still have that "graphic reputation"? Man this has been debunked 15 years ago.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 16 September 2018 at 4:52 PM · edited Sun, 16 September 2018 at 5:01 PM

-Timberwolf- posted at 4:51PM Sun, 16 September 2018 - #4336289

Does apple still have that "graphic reputation"? Man this has been debunked 15 years ago.

@Timberwolf To be fair the big issue, in the past ,was true type font support from the major page layout applications (Adobe ,Quark Xpress) and printer post script driver support for offset film image setters .

They all favored the Mac OS back then. It is all Moot now post script/film to plate based printing is long dead ( I hope) four color presses are mostly digital or use a hi-res PDF base Direct to plate composite workflows.

Apple is a "technology company" that makes Luxury brand Smartphones for the affluent, with a market value larger than the pseudo "sovereign nation" of Exxon Mobile.

They have long since abandoned the Gaming & pro CG/3D graphics market.

No worries... there is plenty of powerful PC based hardware better suited for us 3D/CG enthusiasts.

Anyway back on topic: content paradise is actually dead.

https://magazine.renderosity.com/article/4746/renderosity-to-become-official-marketplace-for-poser

More of mercy killing IMHO.

My website

YouTube Channel

knyghtmare2021 ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2018 at 4:30 PM

https://magazine.renderosity.com/article/4746/renderosity-to-become-official-marketplace-for-poser

Wow. I wonder how this will effect the DS content makers here?

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2018 at 4:42 PM

knyghtmare2021 posted at 4:42PM Mon, 17 September 2018 - #4336329 .

why would it affect DS content makers, already here, at all.??

The inventory of poser content from CP will be moved to the RMP Individual artists from CP who were not already RMP vendors (perhaps some Hivewire artist's etc) will have to decide if they want to partner with renderosity on a case by case basis I would imagine.

My website

YouTube Channel

knyghtmare2021 ( ) posted Mon, 17 September 2018 at 4:59 PM

why would it affect DS content makers, already here, at all.??

The inventory of poser content from CP will be moved to the RMP Individual artists from CP who were not already RMP vendors (perhaps some Hivewire artist's etc) will have to decide if they want to partner with renderosity on a case by case basis I would imagine.

Just speculation, mostly.

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2018 at 5:19 PM

knyghtmare2021 posted at 6:17PM Tue, 18 September 2018 - #4336329

The last few times I bought something from there was when I got the $5 birthday voucher.

I don't see it doing too much for/to the DS-exclusive people TBQH. I'd guess that it will just be business as normal around here. I think the RDNA-DAZ deal had more of an impact, both here and there.

Razor42 ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2018 at 7:33 PM · edited Tue, 18 September 2018 at 7:38 PM

I think knyghtmare2021 may be referring to some of the terminology used in the statement such as

"Smith Micro, the parent company of Poser, announced Renderosity.com will become the official marketplace for Poser content."

Which does make it sound a little like Renderosity will become an official Poser market place, like some sort of licensed dealership or an acquisition. But I don't believe that is the intention of the statement, SMS has had official partners in the past that were in no way exclusive to only selling content or providing forum support for SMS software. SMS tends to like this kind of language in their statements, just look at all the 'Poser Ambassadors' getting about. I really wouldn't expect a great deal of change on the Renderosity side of things, except for maybe some new content in store and possible a few new content creators appearing. In my opinion Renderosity has always been pretty well partnered to SMS/Poser and offers fairly broad support to the Poser community through vendor support, SMS program sales, promotional competitions and dedicated forums. But that doesn't mean there isn't room here for a broader community and a marketplace that supports many different platforms, which is one of the best things about Renderosity imo.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2018 at 11:20 AM

There's a old saying " Don't put all your eggs in one basket " It's a centuries old saying but it's still true to day.Wisdom is timeless .

CHK2033 ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2018 at 11:58 AM

RorrKonn posted at 11:49AM Wed, 19 September 2018 - #4336398

There's a old saying " Don't put all your eggs in one basket " It's a centuries old saying but it's still true to day.Wisdom is timeless .

So if I get 12 baskets and put 1 egg in each basket but put all the baskets in 1 shopping cart, does that still count? ?

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2018 at 4:36 AM

TheDarkerSideOfArt posted at 11:34AM Fri, 21 September 2018 - #4336402

RorrKonn posted at 11:49AM Wed, 19 September 2018 - #4336398

So if I get 12 baskets and put 1 egg in each basket but put all the baskets in 1 shopping cart, does that still count? ?

Yeah, that is pretty much what Autodesk did, they bought all the baskets with the eggs :D

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2018 at 1:49 PM

Let me make sure I understand this, it looks to be as if Smith Micro is writing off all content sales for Poser, meaning their only sources of revenue from it will be from new licenses and upgrades. Or any of it's other graphics programs for that matter.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2018 at 2:12 PM · edited Fri, 21 September 2018 at 2:19 PM

Life is all about Loopholes. .

willyb53 ( ) posted Fri, 21 September 2018 at 5:53 PM

diogenese19348 posted at 5:52PM Fri, 21 September 2018 - #4336503

Let me make sure I understand this, it looks to be as if Smith Micro is writing off all content sales for Poser, meaning their only sources of revenue from it will be from new licenses and upgrades. Or any of it's other graphics programs for that matter.

Or that they are outsourcing their sales and taking a percentage against having to support a store that is not profitable Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Sat, 22 September 2018 at 2:50 AM

willyb53 posted at 3:42AM Sat, 22 September 2018 - #4336518

diogenese19348 posted at 5:52PM Fri, 21 September 2018 - #4336503

Or that they are outsourcing their sales and taking a percentage against having to support a store that is not profitable Bill

Which is basically writing off content sales for Poser and only getting income from a percentage of new licenses and upgrades. Hopefully SM listens to the content developers' needs far better than they did when they had the partnership with RDNA. From former vendors that worked there, the devs were listening to people not remotely qualified to make commercial content which lead to the situation occurring now.

drafter69 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2018 at 2:41 PM

While I prefer Daz3D Studio I do not want to see Smith Micro (Poser) end since that will allow the Daz Company to do whatever they want. I worry a bit that SM has been very silent for quite a while.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.