Fri, Apr 19, 6:15 PM CDT

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 14 9:28 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Welcome and General Blender Info for Newbies

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2013 at 10:55 AM · edited Fri, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 AM
Forum Moderator

I wanted to do when I was given the opportunity to be the Coordinator for the Blender Forum was to promote and show off how much readily available information was here for those who are new to Blender. I have been fortunate to have found this forum to be a treasure chest of information for learning and developing my Blender skill set so I wanted to share some common information to those just starting out. I encourage our veterans to add either links or tidbits that will be useful for those just starting out with Blender.

Download Blender http://www.blender.org</http:>

Getting Started with Blender

Blender Documentation http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Main_Page

Blender Course Video and PDF tutorials http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Blender Course PDF Tutorial English and Netherlands http://blendercourse.com</http:>

Blender Basics Blender Cookies Video http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/

MASTERING BLENDER for Beginners - FREE Online Version

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2013 at 1:58 PM

With Blender moving forward so quickly, it's hard for people who write tutorials and such to stay current, so some of these links provide material that is slightly dated, like the Blender Basics Book. However, because it is so well written and provides information on so much that is current, this Central Dauphin High School effort does deserve mention.

Another source of information is the blenderartists.org site. Whilst perhaps not the most congenial atmosphere to ask questions - one tends to get ignored at worst if the consensus is that the question is one a bit of searching would have answered, unlike here on Rendo - it's a great place to lurk and read-read-read. People are doing some cutting-edge stuff on there so if your brain can absorb it all (and some stuff is admittedly way over my pointy-little head :biggrin: ) it's one of the most informative sites out there.

Then, of course, there's Andrew Price. He's got a lot of free stuff, which - as a newbie - I'd be doing first before getting stuck into some of the rather pricy courses he offers.

Another little goldmine is youtube... just do a search for, say, "blender cycles", for example. This will keep you busy for a month or more, particularly if you have a day job. 😉

Despite the old prevailing attitude that Blender is "too hard to learn" "too complicated" and other such nonsense, it is one of the better documented and explored applications out there. Incredibly talented people have set up brilliant blogs on how to do really exciting things with all the newest Blender technology, like Cycles and some of the modifiers (Ocean comes to mind)... this list is mindboggling in scope.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2013 at 2:04 PM

For example, I'm getting stuck into creating this forest path.

It's actually hard to stop, once you've gotten started. :lol:

Metaphor of Chooks

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2013 at 4:55 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Despite the old prevailing attitude that Blender is "too hard to learn" "too complicated" and other such nonsense, it is one of the better documented and explored applications out there. Incredibly talented people have set up brilliant blogs on how to do really exciting things with all the newest Blender technology, like Cycles and some of the modifiers (Ocean comes to mind)... this list is mindboggling in scope.

I agree with all that RobynsVeil** **especially this last portion having tried my hand at the old version of Blender the current devolopement has come broken down that wall and former sterotype of being to hard to learn. There is wealth of information and some really talented indivuals and communities sharing knowledge on how they do many exciting things and very proud that ours here is one that is so willing to help so take up the challenge jump into Blender wont loose anything. Thank you RobynsVeils for sharing

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

JuanJose_Torres ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 7:37 PM

Thank you very much to both of you for the high praise. I'm very happy to see my contributions appreciated this much, and will keep giving  to the Blender community to the best of my abilities. :)

BardicHeart ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 1:41 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2013 at 1:44 AM

This series of Youtube videos done by Jack Lewis is pretty helpful for those just starting in Blender.  The link open a play list that allows you to view them in order.  It takes you through downloading and installing, a walk thru of the interface, and then on to how to do various basic tasks in Blender.

Blender Absolute Beginners Series

This second series is by A1Sirius and is longer.  It also is aimed at beginners and starts with walking you through downloading and installing, customizing the interface, etc.  Again, they are set up as a playlist so you can view them in order.

Absolute Beginners Blender Tutorials

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2013 at 10:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Since I recently saw two post concerning this subject or how to create and merge back two windows in Blender I went looking for a quick short tutorial on how to perform this since yeah sometimes Blender does not make things obvious and trust me when I first started out with Blender it was something I had to learn so here is the tutorial 

Splitting / Joining Windows Tutorial This is for Blender 2.5 but it holds true up to the most current release and I must thank Ira Krakow for4 he has a an extensive library of Blender turtorials on Youtube that are worth watching hope this helps 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

vbood2012 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote - For example, I'm getting stuck into creating this forest path.

It's actually hard to stop, once you've gotten started. :lol:

I am about to make a fashion software but i need realistic models like does created in poser and blender can i import these models into my software?

vbood2012 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 10:19 PM

Quote - > Quote - Despite the old prevailing attitude that Blender is "too hard to learn" "too complicated" and other such nonsense, it is one of the better documented and explored applications out there. Incredibly talented people have set up brilliant blogs on how to do really exciting things with all the newest Blender technology, like Cycles and some of the modifiers (Ocean comes to mind)... this list is mindboggling in scope.

I agree with all that RobynsVeil** **especially this last portion having tried my hand at the old version of Blender the current devolopement has come broken down that wall and former sterotype of being to hard to learn. There is wealth of information and some really talented indivuals and communities sharing knowledge on how they do many exciting things and very proud that ours here is one that is so willing to help so take up the challenge jump into Blender wont loose anything. Thank you RobynsVeils for sharing

I am about to make a fashion software but i need realistic models like does created in poser and blender can i import these models into my software?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2013 at 10:27 PM
Forum Moderator

If your software can accept any of the default file types that can be exported from Blender and or Poser the most common being obj and collada of course their are other file formats but I think for the Poser, Daz 3D communities these two would be the most used. 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

BardicHeart ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 6:41 AM

Quote - I am about to make a fashion software but i need realistic models like does created in poser and blender can i import these models into my software?

Yes you can.  I'm also starting to experiment with making clothing for V4, so this is what I did.

First I exported the base V4 model as an OBJ format with all vertices welded so that its a single object when I import it into Blender.  Next I applied some of the various base body morphs such as Amazon, Bodybuilder, Utopian, etc. and exported each of these in the same way.

Second, I import each as its own blend file in Blender and named the file so that it was easy for me to tell which was what morph shape.

Third, I set up a base work file and on the first layer I LINK to the V4 base blend file.  By Linking the mesh is imported but cannoted be directly edited or moved.  This way i don't have to worry about accidentally alterting it or moving it since the only reason I want it there is as a reference for making clothing fits.  Next on other layers I link the other morphed version so that I can later adjust my clothing items to fit each and export fit morphs all from the same blend file.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quote - Thank you very much to both of you for the high praise. I'm very happy to see my contributions appreciated this much, and will keep giving  to the Blender community to the best of my abilities. :)

Wow, nice to see you on here, JuanJose! Your work is definitely of the best quality ever. I wish I had more time to study your work specifically - it is indeed worth the effort!

Metaphor of Chooks

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2013 at 2:16 PM

Lovely stuff, thank you.

This blog is a favourite of mine: http://blendermama.com/

This lady has something to offer beginners and fairly advanced users as well:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vscorpianc

I love these guys too: http://metalix.co.nz/tutorials/blender/

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2014 at 8:37 PM
Forum Moderator

To reactivate this sticky thread since it seems they become archived after so long I will read the link to my most current post about the keyboard shortcuts 

Will try to keep this updated and current as I come across worthwhile information that will benfit the community. Please also feel free to contribute anything related to either tutorials, tools and general information that would benfit new & experinced Blender users alike

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 4:27 PM

Thanks for the short-cuts link, Lobo - GOLDMINE!! 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 13 September 2014 at 5:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Thanks for the short-cuts link, Lobo - GOLDMINE!! 😄

Your very welcome RobynsVeil actually came across two tutorials of yours on Pinrest I think about the Bagginsbill Matmatic looking forward to reading them so thank you for those you reallyh should add them here I am sure others would want them as well

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

tchadensis ( ) posted Sun, 14 September 2014 at 6:30 PM

Wow, Blenderartists is amazing.  I've been reading it (off and on) for two days now and just scratched the surface.  I've seen a few posts asking about importing Blender models to Poser and have directed them here.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 16 September 2014 at 4:16 PM

Quote - You're very welcome, RobynsVeil. Actually came across two tutorials of yours on Pinterest I think about the Bagginsbill Matmatic looking forward to reading them so thank you for those. You really should add them here I am sure others would want them as well.

Thank you for your kind words, Lobo. I've had a re-look at them recently, and they need a bit of revision, I think. I still do use Matmatic because I love Python (indeed, Matmatic was my first real introduction to Python! - thanks to BB and KobaltKween I sort-of got my head around OOP and how it all works) and have no issue writing code to automate stuff.

Is Matmatic easy to use? If 1) you're not intimidated by the thought of writing code - many ARE! - and 2) need some way to manage materials quickly for a wide range of mat zones or 3) want some way to make your materials more sophisticated and realistic, then Matmatic is a good way to go.
However, for some this tool might be excess to requirement. If any of the above-mentioned conditions are lacking, SnarlyGribby has released this brilliant graphical (FREE!!) tool called EZMat, available here, which, whilst it doesn't replace Matmatic, for most content creators purposes is completely in-line with requirement. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 16 September 2014 at 4:53 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi RobynsVeil

thank you for the information I know you had mentioned Matmatic to me before and when I came across your tutorials in PDF format to be able to read grabbed them up even if they might be a bit dated I am sure that they will still be a worth of information and knowledge. I will also look at the EZMat you mentioned

Thank you

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 16 September 2014 at 5:32 PM

Keeping in mind that these documents are going to be revised, here is a link:

** Bagginsbill's Matmatic 01 - (Introduction)**
** Bagginsbill's Matmatic 02 - (Making a sort-of useful Shader)**

and this is a work in progress:

** Bagginsbill's Matmatic 03 - (A basic skin shader)**

**and there's more to come. 

All this is to be taken with a grain of salt... if it works for you, great. If it doesn't, hey, you had a go, right? Like they say in the Linux Community: "This Distribution is Free - if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces". :blink:

Metaphor of Chooks

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 16 September 2014 at 8:00 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks for Posting them Robyn I am sure others will get something out of them and will appreciated and even if it breaks well I think we have enough crazy glue around that we can piece it back together again if Humpty came alright it will be a breeze

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2014 at 4:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Came across this on Blender nation and felt it covered many common FAQ that new and even old Blender users may want answers to 

https://studiollb.wordpress.com/2014/10/11/blender-faq/

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2015 at 5:38 PM
Forum Moderator

Just to get this back as a sticky at the top of the Forum

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2015 at 6:37 AM

best site I found for keeping up with addons

http://blenderaddonlist.blogspot.co.uk/

enjoy  

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2015 at 10:48 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the link Heddheld

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2015 at 7:44 AM
Forum Moderator

I know I have posted this elsewhere but here it is so easier to find than searching threads

Keyboard Shortcut Keys for Blender : http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/useful-keyboard-shortcuts.php

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 06 March 2015 at 12:15 PM
Forum Moderator

I am not overly a big fan of social networks and only participate in areas that will help me learn more about specific subjects like Blender, Texturing and things related to my 3D hobby. I do not know how many of you might already be a part of Google+ but did come across the gem Adventures In Blender you can find tutorials, information on new tricks and see what others are working on within the larger Blender Community and it is not English only so you might find some useful stuff in your own native language 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 4:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Going to add this as a new resource for those who are coming to Blender for the first time and wish to develop a list of resources themselves.

MASTERING BLENDER for Beginners - FREE Online Version

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 9:43 AM
Forum Moderator

I just found this out this morning and thought it would be very useful for all. Seems due to the changes at CG Cookie they have made all their archive free to everyone. Some of the videos are a bit date but still very useful for Blender Artist and they have included videos and tutorials for 3Ds Max, Zbrush and more

CG Cookie archive

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 10 October 2015 at 11:13 AM
Forum Moderator

Another great resource for news and tutorials is Blender Art Magazine

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2016 at 8:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Hope all had a wonderful holiday lets make 2016 something Grand

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Xrendfram ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2016 at 12:25 AM

http://www.foxrenderfarm.com/ with the latest Blender3D! Camera004.jpg

http://www.foxrenderfarm.com/

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 23 May 2016 at 8:08 PM
Forum Moderator

Hey just a reminder if you got useful links that will be helpful to new members who want to learn Blender post them here and actually even links that would be useful for all of us add them always looking for new things to learn

Thanks

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 08 August 2016 at 11:25 AM
Forum Moderator

LOL I just realised how much I've got my work cut out! Great thread! Thanks for posting everybody!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 09 August 2016 at 2:20 PM
Forum Moderator

I should have add this here instead of having made a whole new post even I forget my head is attached to my shoulders lol. This is a new Youtube channel about 2 weeks old and seems to be starting a really basic set of beginner tutorials that after viewing a few i would recommend. I will say these are for real beginniners who maybe have never even opened up a 3D application. They are not overly long and does go into each aspect in good plain English detail. Introduction to computer graphics with Blender

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2017 at 11:06 AM
Forum Moderator

I encourage members to add information to this sticky thread that will provide useful information for new comers to Blender and even for us oldies to the group I know I have learned allot just from viewing a few of the links mentioned in this thread

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2017 at 11:14 AM
Forum Moderator

Came across two new tutorial channels on Youtube this weekend that I had not seen before and thought they would be good ones to share here

Modelling in Blender For Absolute Beginners https://youtu.be/ICBP-7x7Chc

This second one I really liked since it had several tutorials on using curves for modeling and they are short but the projects are really ones you can build on

Blended https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIkE0VBmNVfCH5Gws5LopKA/featured

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2017 at 2:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Came across this tutorial I think many might find useful but first a warning it is written in Russian so it might be easier to flow by those with intermediate knowledge of Blender I was able to complete it with a few mistakes that was able to fix along the way so good luck if you try it. It is doable my try at it is below

Gothic Window

Clipboard01.jpg

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2017 at 3:30 PM

make a nice stained glass window !! you gonna make the rest of church mate ?

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2017 at 7:47 PM
Forum Moderator

I might when I came across the tutorial thought it might inspire I have been wanting to do something Gothic with arches and windows that this would fit the build for and funny this is the first Gothic inspired look I have been able to actually achieve lol so yeah maybe I can plan something around this

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2017 at 11:48 AM

You know Lobo, the Udemy Blender course I'm taking has a section on creating arches and such, and the finished projects I've seen look very much like Gothic Cathedrals. 😉

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2017 at 10:09 AM
Forum Moderator

Miss B posted at 11:08AM Thu, 12 October 2017 - #4315796

You know Lobo, the Udemy Blender course I'm taking has a section on creating arches and such, and the finished projects I've seen look very much like Gothic Cathedrals. 😉

Oh Miss B which one I am signed up for several but do some family issue have fallen behind on a couple but if you have one that would include techniques like that I would be very interested

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2017 at 1:06 PM · edited Thu, 12 October 2017 at 1:07 PM

Lobo3433 posted at 2:00PM Thu, 12 October 2017 - #4315881

Miss B posted at 11:08AM Thu, 12 October 2017 - #4315796

Oh Miss B which one I am signed up for several but do some family issue have fallen behind on a couple but if you have one that would include techniques like that I would be very interested

It's the Learn 3D Modelling - The Complete Blender Creator Course. I wish we had this conversation a couple of days ago, since it just went off sale, so keep a look out. I assume you get the emails when they're having a sale, so you should get a notification the next time it's on sale. It's a very popular course, so it's on sale often.

I'm also taking a couple of Maya classes, and some programming/web design classes, so I've not gotten much past the first 2 sections of the Blender class. I just checked the curriculum, and the inside of a Gothic Church is in the Game Assets section, which is nearer the end of the course.

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2017 at 9:23 AM
Forum Moderator

Hi Miss B Yes I am enrolled in that course but due to some personal issues have not gotten to that point in the course I will get back on track with it because i do see the potential for this tutorial in making the window going together with the chapter on doing the archers thanks for pointing it out and reminding me

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2017 at 11:34 AM

You're quite welcome Lobo. I downloaded that tutorial you linked to, and I'm going to try it out, though Russian isn't a language I can read either, so we shall see how I do.

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2017 at 1:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Miss B posted at 2:34PM Fri, 13 October 2017 - #4315975

You're quite welcome Lobo. I downloaded that tutorial you linked to, and I'm going to try it out, though Russian isn't a language I can read either, so we shall see how I do.

I came across issue when using the knife tool seems some how I had either double clicked or something and had extra verts that became visible when you get to the final part where you use the wire frame modifier so if you come across the same mistake I made zooming in and removing the extra verts and reusing the knife tool fixed the mistake.

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 13 October 2017 at 10:42 PM

Good to know, so I'll make a note of it for when I get around to trying the tutorial. 😉

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2017 at 9:56 AM
Forum Moderator

I am sure you will get it have confidence 👍

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 14 October 2017 at 10:23 PM

Well it took me about 15 minutes, BUT, I couldn't do the last step because I haven't upgraded to 2.79 yet, so the Wireframe Modifier must be a new one. I'll have to upgrade and play with it more tomorrow.

You're right though, the screenshots were good enough, so not knowing Russian wasn't a problem at all. 😉

Butterfly Dezignz

heddheld ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2017 at 4:58 AM · edited Sun, 15 October 2017 at 5:05 AM

you could have used the skin modifier or convert to curves and use a bevel.....just ideas lol

for the arches use curves for main shape then another curve to use as a bevel obj then u can have the fancy shapes of the stone work can use a third curve as a taper obj .....big thick base to arch and getting thinner as they get higher and if you don't like drawing curves in blender ..........do drawing in inkscape (other) export as svg and import to blender

hope that's given you some ideas

Miss B ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2017 at 7:31 AM · edited Sun, 15 October 2017 at 7:32 AM

It has heddheld, thanks. I'm going to copy those notes, and give them a try as well. 🙂

Butterfly Dezignz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.