Fri, Apr 26, 10:35 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 25 12:52 pm)

Subject: V4/M4 products now?

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 10:35 AM

To be honest at this point I'm considering dumping all of these figures for projects and concentrating on props or my own figure creation. Getting exhausted messing with other peoples baked in problems and all the associated rules and hoops.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 11:05 AM

I think people do still buy V4/M4 characters, but they don't pay a lot. I pay a little more for M4 characters, because they're rarer than V4. But still not much. 

I don't think there's anyone still making stuff for V4 or M4, except as a fit for an item made for another character. You see this a lot with hair or dynamic clothing. It's made for Dawn, LF, PE, but there's a fit for V4 included. 

I thought you were going to make stuff for Dawn 2?

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 11:50 AM

I'll definitely purchase it...

(that ... contains a ton of subtext)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 2:12 PM · edited Thu, 23 December 2021 at 2:12 PM

As I'm not a vendor (I really don't have enough free time to do it, and I'm rather convinced that I won't be good at it), I'm still using Sasha-19, the best weightmapped Vic4 I've tested till now.
I still need to practice with dynamic clothes because I often get weird results. That's why I often use 3d-age's clothes because these are the ones that provide the most morphs. That plus Posermatic's NGM, which give the best control to fill correctly cleavages.

Here is an example with which I'm having difficulties:

2ZYcqTcIyKHkPi7EiMWcuxyOEtgKj3G7oKCxhtoF.png

I wanted to use the middle-length top, and I've tried hard to let it fall around the dress, but it still interacts with it.

From time to time, I'm using LF, but it really lacks of freedom for the shapes (for example the shapes of her breasts don't convince me enough, even under clothes), and when you're used to the numerous morphs of Sasha-19, it take a far longer time to pose LF. Furthermore, I have no freedom with the shapes as I don't model.
It's the same problem with Dawn: not being a modeler equals being prisoner with what you are offered when you buy the character or a new morphology. this is somewhat frustrating, compared to the 3 packs: Morphs++, Badabing and NGM.

My personal humble opinion for what concerns customers like me: LF and Dawn are somewhat the Genesis8.x counterparts: you buy, you pose, you render. With Sasha-19 / Vic4, it's a little more tricky, but I like that.
But this does not prevent me at all from buying products for LF, on the contrary: I want to help its diffusion and to support the vendors. And I'll very probably buy Dawn2 as well, for the same reasons. At the time, I bought Dawn, its special editions, and a few specific morphs.
Not to mention the fact that I have a well-stocked wardrobe of urban and sexy styles, and it will cost a lot of money to buy the same for LF, and Dawn2. 

Speaking of hairs and cloth textures: it's been a rather long time that I don't use the default textures and materials: I'm using from time to time their bitmaps, but with personal settings, especially for the old Vic4-specific hairs, and as an hobbyist, it's really part of the fun with Poser.
And I love the fact that nowadays, we find hairs for all three characters, that's great, too.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 4:38 PM

It's the head morphs that I miss with Dawn and LF. They've gotten more (especially Dawn - she had nothing when she was first released). But still hardly anything compared to V4.

I don't really care about boobs. I like to be able to make figures look like real people. Celebrities, politicians, family members. I'm not that great with magnets or modeling; I want dials to spin.

Though I wonder if the reason V4 has so much support is just because she's so old. My employer went through a bad spell where they had no money to upgrade software or hardware. We spent something like 10 years using the same software. And it was great. Well, the slow computers weren't great, but we tweaked the software so it was perfect for us. There are tens of thousands of preferences in our main software package, and we actually had most of them set up.We've never come close to it since.

Anyway, I've tried with La Femme and find it difficult to get a likeness with her. I think she doesn't enough polys in her face or something. I find even V3 and M3 easier to work with. They have a lot of polys in their heads.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 5:05 PM · edited Thu, 23 December 2021 at 5:07 PM

randym77 posted at 4:38 PM Thu, 23 December 2021 - #4432344

It's the head morphs that I miss with Dawn and LF. They've gotten more (especially Dawn - she had nothing when she was first released). But still hardly anything compared to V4.

I don't really care about boobs. I like to be able to make figures look like real people. Celebrities, politicians, family members. I'm not that great with magnets or modeling; I want dials to spin.

Though I wonder if the reason V4 has so much support is just because she's so old. My employer went through a bad spell where they had no money to upgrade software or hardware. We spent something like 10 years using the same software. And it was great. Well, the slow computers weren't great, but we tweaked the software so it was perfect for us. There are tens of thousands of preferences in our main software package, and we actually had most of them set up.We've never come close to it since.

Anyway, I've tried with La Femme and find it difficult to get a likeness with her. I think she doesn't enough polys in her face or something. I find even V3 and M3 easier to work with. They have a lot of polys in their heads.

Now that you're speaking of Vic3: I've been astonished by what EZSkin could do with those old characters. Rendered using P11 5 years ago:

YzmAyMcMCXZDK5ScRk0Uv6AQ1ugWtWpMbfjovtBb.png

And when I say 5 years, the morphology comes from the past, really: mid 2006 😅

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2021 at 9:58 PM

Nice render!

I bought a bunch of characters for V3 and A3 during the Black Friday sale. They're so cheap, and a lot of them still look really good.  I've been using JoePublic's weightmapped V3. Too bad there's no weightmapped A3.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 5:38 AM

"Too bad there's no weightmapped A3."

There probably is a WM A3... just too much of a PITA to make it shareable.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 12:30 PM

Could be. RTEncoder is kind of a pain. I've noticed DAZ no longer requires it for older products sold in their store. Like Melody for A3. Probably too much of a pain dealing with RTEncoder tech support. They haven't changed the readmes, though. I guess no one ever reads the documentation. :-D

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 1:13 PM

Doing a quick Google resulted in no hits whatsoever.  ATM, converting Aiko 3 to weight mapping remains a pipe dream, it may never get done.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 4:04 PM · edited Fri, 24 December 2021 at 4:11 PM

hborre posted at 1:13 PM Fri, 24 December 2021 - #4432362

Doing a quick Google resulted in no hits whatsoever.  ATM, converting Aiko 3 to weight mapping remains a pipe dream, it may never get done.

I wouldn't venture to guess what some of the silent odd balls who utilize Poser in unconventional or unspeakable :D ways might have lurking in various states of completion or undress in their Runtimes... regardless of what the all seeing eye of Google has to say about it. Have you ever looked at some of the obviously frankensteined A3 version figures tucked away on some obscure Japanese sites? Granted not WM... but I haven't looked at everything everywhere.

The thoughts of those thinking inside the box very rarely effects those who are thinking in some alien blob shape, at least in private art pursuits.

I'm curious what magical combination of difficulty it is exactly that makes WM A3 such a Pipe Dream.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 5:23 PM

randym77 posted at 12:30 PM Fri, 24 December 2021 - #4432361

Could be. RTEncoder is kind of a pain. I've noticed DAZ no longer requires it for older products sold in their store. Like Melody for A3. Probably too much of a pain dealing with RTEncoder tech support. They haven't changed the readmes, though. I guess no one ever reads the documentation. :-D

I've noticed a more relaxed attitude regarding Daz Gen 3 figure derivatives, yes. Mostly I see it in clones or obvious appropriation of parts in freebies that is happening in plain sight. Not the sort of clumsy, blunt sleight of hand thing I would care to tempt the legal consequences of. I've actually noticed a general sort of attitude of denial or solipsism in the Poserverse. It's like a bunch of ship wreck survivors clinging to driftwood with fins circling in the night... "hey, wasn't Mac there last night?" "Shut up, I don't know no Mac" :D

Well, not that bad but I have noticed some weird things... or maybe it was always there.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 6:23 PM

"I'm curious what magical combination of difficulty it is exactly that makes WM A3 such a Pipe Dream."

Let's consider that other Poser users were very keen to convert Sydney to weight mapping and gave up very soon afterward when it was discovered that her particular mesh was asymmetrical and a mess to correct.  I'm not saying that Aiko 3 falls under the same category, but someone would need to invest quite a bit of time with her in order to iron out any issues that may exist.  The Frankensteining technique always fascinated me; actually, a very long time ago someone posted a tutorial on the process, something I didn't pursue at the time.  I was quite impressed.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 6:34 PM

I recall Shvrdavid (spelling?) doing quite a lot with Sydney. I also recall the asymmetry problem. And not just with a particular figure but with Poser in general. I'm not certain of any glaring specific issues with A3, it's been a while since I looked. I have a ton of A3 content though, probably more than most of the other Poser figures I have. Some of her classic clothing items are just gorgeously modeled. From a personal perspective I always found her face TOO high poly to morph comfortably, which sounds like a strange statement but there's specific reasons.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 7:46 PM

There is something to be said about the Generation 3's, whenever you go back to them it's like a brand new experience and appreciation to how well they have stood up over time.  I might see myself during more with A3 this coming year and probably throw in Hiro 3 as well, he is a very underappreciated and forgotten figure.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2021 at 7:58 PM
A3 is definitely a grassroots beloved Poser figure :)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 3:49 AM

primorge posted at 7:58 PM Fri, 24 December 2021 - #4432377

A3 is definitely a grassroots beloved Poser figure :)
Hearing you both speaking of A3 characters all of a sudden made my most beloved A3 character woke up

CaDeifxrCBGBGIKU3X1fqvKtAzIjCwp9iWvv8zMI.jpg

Be careful: I wouldn't want to see her go mad... 😂

PhYl.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 9:54 AM · edited Sat, 25 December 2021 at 9:54 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I indeed started to weight map Sydney. I quickly discovered that Sydney's mesh is in no way symmetrical. I don't remember who actually owns the Sydney mesh anymore, but correcting it was not a legal option. We even considered doing a script that corrected the mesh since that would in no way have any of Sydney's info in it, and that was not an allowable option either. The mesh is horribly asymmetrical, not just a little bit either. That was done on purpose, from what I was told. The asymmetry was only one of many reasons the majority of the old figures never got weight mapped versions released.

Sydney is also a geometry swapping character (hip), which is not supported with Poser weight mapping. Most of the older characters that I weight mapped were never released for similar reasons. Lack of support for geometry swapping and asymmetry issues that wreck havoc with weight mapping. Then there is the permission issue, to modify existing geometry. 

Here is the fully corrected Sydney, mostly quads, no geometry swapping, aptly named, Sydney 3: Never released, never will be. The body is completely new, head hands and feet are corrected from Sydney. I don't remember how many different UV sets there were off the top of my head. There were more than a few options, obviously including Sydney's original UV's.

GoMy3ChWwDloPGlR6jjWVMMzqrQ1lgMJokSBJkDQ.jpg

On top of completely redoing more than a few characters wireframes.... A small group of us spent months weight mapping everything that came with Poser, (animals, people, etc, all of them...) just to be shut down, blocked, whatever you want to call it. Simply because it was old content and never going to be supported weight map wise due to issues mentioned earlier. And if you can't get permission to release derivatives, well, you can use them for personal use....

I still Beta test Poser, but do very little in the way of content for it. Maybe when I retire.... I mostly just read the forums now, lurking.... 

Happy Holidays, Poser'ing, etc, everyone.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 10:11 AM

Thanks for the background info shvrdavid. Hopefully you return in more than a lurking capacity eventually; your experience and tech knowledge of Poser is surely a valuable resource.

Happy Holidays.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 10:37 AM

Why would they intentionally make meshes asymmetrical? Is it a DRM thing?

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2021 at 12:51 PM

randym77 posted at 10:37 AM Sat, 25 December 2021 - #4432405

Why would they intentionally make meshes asymmetrical? Is it a DRM thing?

I have no clue why they would have taken the extra time to do so. The asymmetry is obviously blatantly intentional in some areas, and just sloppiness in others. There are huge differences ranging from the obvious differences and duplicates on Sydney's chest, to areas that are just lines of loose vertex's. I have come to the conclusion that they made the included figures crappy so there would be no need to ever support them, which is exactly what occurred with the vast majority of them. Others have come to the conclusion that they got what they paid for and hired people to make the figures that either did not have a clue how to mirror model a figure, or were so pressed for time that errors were never corrected.

Time will tell what happens now Poser wise. Bondware is off to a great start and have the people to make it very successful. I have used Poser for years and want to see it continue to advance and succeed. I have been active in the beta program since P8, so it is safe to say I am going to be using it for a long time to come.

Anyway, back to the topic of V4/M4 products.... Carry on... Cheers...

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 6:43 PM · edited Sun, 26 December 2021 at 6:44 PM

DAZ changed their EULA several years ago; basically one can distribute derived works so long as it requires the original purchased work to function.   Otherwise, it is the exception when their documentation is useful. 

This is a render I did many years ago of a  beta of shvrdavid's weightmapped Sydney, asymmetry and all.  It was a nice figure with a few quirks, but because of the asymmetrical geometry (not asymmetric in shape, which could be dealt with,  but the number of polys varied from one side to the other!!), fixing those quirks would drive one to drink, because one could not mirror the weightmaps, but had to do each side separately.  To this day I still don't understand why SM wouldn't allow distribution of the modified figures and Syd 3...

BNTCMkX8lexnr4qNc6Pe0CAO0L2mxnifebfEP9qg.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2021 at 10:20 PM

I don't think Melody requires A3 to function any more, even though it's just A3's body with a new head.

It used to require RTEncoder. It no longer does, but they didn't change the readme.

Picture me firing up RTEncoder, trying to remember how it works, and scouring my runtime for the .rte file.

There wasn't one. Though the documentation says you need RTEncoder, and includes instructions on how to use it, you just install it like you would any other figure. It's not encoded at all.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2021 at 5:26 AM
WandW posted at 6:43 PM Sun, 26 December 2021 - #4432450

DAZ changed their EULA several years ago; basically one can distribute derived works so long as it requires the original purchased work to function.   Otherwise, it is the exception when their documentation is useful. 

This is a render I did many years ago of a  beta of shvrdavid's weightmapped Sydney, asymmetry and all.  It was a nice figure with a few quirks, but because of the asymmetrical geometry (not asymmetric in shape, which could be dealt with,  but the number of polys varied from one side to the other!!), fixing those quirks would drive one to drink, because one could not mirror the weightmaps, but had to do each side separately.  To this day I still don't understand why SM wouldn't allow distribution of the modified figures and Syd 3...

BNTCMkX8lexnr4qNc6Pe0CAO0L2mxnifebfEP9qg.jpg

Woah... she's really cute 😍

PhYl.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2022 at 7:43 AM

adp001 posted at 4:48 PM Thu, 29 July 2021 - #4424183

From sasha-16 manual:

12.3. Where can I get an update?

 A valid question, but difficult to answer.

Due to my personal financial situation and the exchange rate of the UAH vs. US$ I can't afford to rent web space for hosting.

Until then we must rely on the current publishing scheme (whatever it will be in the end).

If that's not an option for you then send me a mail to "karina.kiev@ymail.com" and we can discuss alternatives.

I am sorry for these inconveniences, but I didn't find alternative ways to publish SASHA yet. I hope that will change as soon as SASHA becomes more popular (if ever).

Well, the good news is that due to recent events, PayPal has changed their policy, and now allows payments to Ukraine.

The bad news is the recent events. I hope Karina is okay.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2022 at 8:33 AM
randym77 posted at 7:43 AM Sat, 19 March 2022 - #4436127

adp001 posted at 4:48 PM Thu, 29 July 2021 - #4424183

From sasha-16 manual:

12.3. Where can I get an update?

 A valid question, but difficult to answer.

Due to my personal financial situation and the exchange rate of the UAH vs. US$ I can't afford to rent web space for hosting.

Until then we must rely on the current publishing scheme (whatever it will be in the end).

If that's not an option for you then send me a mail to "karina.kiev@ymail.com" and we can discuss alternatives.

I am sorry for these inconveniences, but I didn't find alternative ways to publish SASHA yet. I hope that will change as soon as SASHA becomes more popular (if ever).

Well, the good news is that due to recent events, PayPal has changed their policy, and now allows payments to Ukraine.

Was thinking the same thing lately, not much speculation required to see the dire situation. Site is still up...

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2022 at 9:55 AM
randym77 posted at 7:43 AM Sat, 19 March 2022 - #4436127

Indeed.  I haven't corresponded with "Karina" in about 5 years, but he was in the Army reserves....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2022 at 10:18 AM

I am, too, worrying for Karina. It's been such a long time without any news. I'm even ready to help him to setup a new website.

PhYl.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2022 at 2:05 AM · edited Sun, 20 March 2022 at 2:05 AM

"ATM, converting Aiko 3 to weight mapping remains a pipe dream, it may never get done."

if someone would be willing to help me packing her up for redistribution, I wouldn't mind sharing her.

JWl3bxRY4Iiph4US8QsAbUgKWPHRtnoPMJalBzLo.jpg

Thighs, shoulders and knees: Left WM, right original sphere rigging

ARmphbDWjcrwzVawq6SyKUMizVFlXRGFC4EgkQxk.jpg

Buttock comparison: Left original, right WM. Thighs only posing.

VT7lL9A5jU6cLXMk9jOw9duamUL1U6YLHHvwVMe1.jpg

Splitting BEND across thighs and buttocks helps the original rig, but the WM is still better. (Thigh pose only)

k5R2MZCsrBlfRue1wBJyDK6I9ergHtdCR9aQLE6u.jpg

Pink WM, blue original rig. Ellbows, thighs, knees, feet.

qKu7Naed9p06Wn59l29gLhfVfBjFViu0mWPeqN9x.jpg

Knee and foot comparison

bT875ZiwuoPQ6rdaapOVRNzyfOuF5nqxO7dxNgB4.jpg

Buttock comparison

8OattBB66nNjqdxd55O1oJSZY0uQ9hWIG0NhV23r.jpg

Chest and abdomen comparison.

This is only a partial weightmap, btw. Several bodyparts like hands and fingers are perfectly fine "as is", so no need to waste resorces by adding weightmaps.

"Twist" also doesn't really benefit from weightmapping, so I left it alone.

All original JCM's have been deleted.

Adding a few for "squishy" flesh deformation wouldn't hurt though, but it would make cloth conversion/modification harder.

Maybe later I add a few.

Besides, as are all my other weightmaps, these are "Open Source". As long as you respect DAZ original copyright, feel free to improve and modify my work and redistribute them.

But as I said, I'd really appreciate some help in the original packaging, hosting and redistribution.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2022 at 2:04 PM

Put it on a google drive and link it.

I'm interested in looking at it, I have a lot of thoughts about what I'm seeing, none of which I will say on the forum. Personally I dislike A3's mesh, not because of the topology so much, or the tris (a non issue), mostly because I think it's too high poly in nonsensical ways... but that doesn't mean I dislike the A3 figure. The contrary. I'd like to look at what you've done and maybe add my own spin on things... Eventually. At the moment I'm neck deep in unfinshed or about to be finished Poser stuff, some of which has been excruciatingly boring to finish thus procrastinating over the past month or so and nibbling away at it... In particular the packaging and complex documentation. Plus life and Other Software interests. I get you on the packaging tip. Poser starts to feel less of a hobby and a bit like a second job when you are deep into the custom stuff.

PM me if you want to share the cr2. Otherwise I'll take a look when you find a home for it...

Well done on undertaking the challenge Roy

Take care.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2022 at 3:17 PM

Sent you a PM.

Yeah, the 3rd Gen Meshes are high res, but they were created in a time when there was no subdivision in neither Poser nor Studio.

So especially the head is pretty polygon heavy. (So my "personal" go-to mesh is a high-res body / lo-res head V3 hybrid)

But I am still convinced that at least in Poser a fairly high res mesh with "built-in" geometry detail is less resource heavy than a low-res mesh that needs subdivision/displacement maps to achieve the same level of detail.

In that regard, Michael 2 / Steph 1 still reign supreme:

Look at all that detail you get from just 34.700 polygons:

wEoFYuekdE4dU7e9CRIEcF7GeoeZrwnSbUqFD14C.jpg

Compared to that, M3 and all the other 3rd Gen meshes are a bit "bloated", but they have much better support overall. And as I said, my hybrid mesh nicely compensates for the polygon bloat.

Still, weightmapping M2 would probably not be a complete waste of time.

:-)

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2022 at 3:37 PM

👌

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2022 at 4:19 AM

BTW: An easy way to put Aiko on a "Polygon-Diet" would be to use 3D Universes Toon Aiko instead:

The lower res toon head brings her down to 44966 polys as opposed to Aiko's original 75230!

(I probably could save another 10K or so by swapping the body with the V3 LoRes mesh, but then I'd have to convert the body textures.)

Anyway, original Aiko is rigged a lot better than V3 or even Steph Petite, so weightmapping will give no drastic improvement in everyday poses.

But when it comes to "action" poses, the weightmapping really starts to shine:

P5QyW90AUtnHZsvS2xHKXloqc2SOs2wsFZAvH7g7.jpg

:-)

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2022 at 6:13 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

You Talkin' To Me?

😂 Tough crowd 

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2022 at 3:59 PM

I'm pretty late to this thread but wanted to chime in on a few things. I mostly post to the gallery, but occasionally I like to see what's up in the forums, so yes, a few folks do both :-)

Like Y-Phil, my favorite version of V4 is the Sasha-16 by Karina, and I use the update released in 2019, which I beta-tested for Karina. Her weight mapping produces bends that aren't quite as nice as those from Nerd3D's weight map (no longer available?), but given all the OTHER nifty features that Karina packed into the S-16 CR2, I'm fine with that, esp. since I don't do nudes. When I want to do a one-time render with a female character, I often use the "regular" V4 (sometimes with the Perfect Arms add-ons). But when I was setting up a bunch of female characters for a graphic novel, the S-16 version was a no-brainer, given how much more functionality she has, like the eye-beams and all the easy-posing dials. (I even borrowed the eye-beams idea and made them for all the other figures I use!) Making clothes work with the modified rig is pretty easy in most cases. And Karina's HTML manual for her has stuff in it that every Poser user could benefit from reading, esp. about posing, all very clearly written.

As for the original question: because I use V4, M4, and K4 when I want "realistic" humans, I do still buy content for them, but only on sale. Mostly I buy clothes or hair (which I, like others, treat as universal, since it's fairly easy to fit hair to any figure, esp. 3Dream's hair!), but I might buy a character if it's by one of the vendors whose work I love AND if it's got some interesting options for creating fantasy characters. (I have no interest in photorealism.) I'm not sure I'd take the chance on a character from a new vendor. I also don't really care about the shaping morphs from a character package as much as I do the textures. I already have a thousand ways to shape V4 however I want!

The figures I would LOVE to have more content for are the ones by Nursoda. I have nearly all of them and they are always a joy to work with. They don't always bend that well, and they don't have a thousand shaping dials, but they're so charming and full of personality that it doesn't seem to matter! I did take a stab at weight-mapping some of Vila's joints, but I'm not sure it was worth the bother, other than as a learning experience :-) I've made new skin textures for many of Nursoda's figures, and that makes them a lot more versatile. But I'm no good at sculpting, so having some more shaping and expression morphs for them would be handy. What I would most like, though, is more clothing. I've made a few very simple things for them in Cheetah3D, but my modeling skills are better suited to props than clothing. I've managed to convert a few items for V4 and other figures for use on Nursoda's figures, but often the style isn't quite right. I guess what I really want is for Nursoda to make more clothing for his own figures, since I love his style, or for someone else to take up that same style. PixPax has done a nice job of that with outfits for Fehn. But I can't imagine that's a big market.

Those weight-mapped versions of A3 are pretty impressive! Definitely makes her better suited for action scenes! As for the high poly count, I did a bunch of experiments a while back to figure out what caused Poser to slow down on my Mac, and I discovered that poly count has nothing to do with it (not in preview or in render). The number one culprit was: the number of conforming items in the scene. The more conformers, the slower everything gets. I've already tweaked all the settings I could to speed up preview performance, but that's one I can't do anything about, alas. I can load prop sets with millions of polygons and have no trouble, but load three V4's wearing outfits that come in lots of conforming parts, and everything crawls! Oh well, some of those outfits are worth it :-)

So that's my 42 cents! Thank you to the three people who read this far :-)

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2022 at 4:10 PM

All those words, and I forgot to say the one thing that originally prompted me to contribute to this thread! 

Yes, I a good part of the reason I use V4 is b/c I have so much content for her. But an even bigger reason that I don't often see mentioned is that I KNOW her so well.  I've used the figure long enough to be very familiar with her material zones, her body shaping options, and her expressions, and even so I still discover new ways to make things happen. I know which FBMs will work with certain types of clothes and which will not, and how to fix various issues. That familiarity saves time, given that my goal is to make art, not to futz about with figuring out how a new figure works.

I LOVE the way Karina has organized all V4's dials to make sense, esp. separating face shapes from expressions. I think Dawn is a pretty nifty figure, and I have a fair amount of content for her,  but her dial organization makes no sense, so I reorganized them myself and saved that CR2 as a "starter."  I actually did that for M4 and for all of Nursoda's figures too, so that I can focus on making expressions and not on hunting down dials!

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

bwldrd ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2022 at 10:48 PM

Weight mapped A3 count me in please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2022 at 4:35 AM

Me too!  My all time favourite of the Daz figures.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2022 at 9:52 AM

DITTO!

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 4:11 AM

Unfortunately Hiro and Aiko 3 have slightly different proportions, so to properly weightmap Hiro, I'd normally have to start from scratch.

But thankfully Poser 11 has that neat "Match Centers to Morphs" functionality.

So I exported a zeroed Hiro as an object file.

Then loaded that "Hiro-Shape" object as a full body morph to my weightmapped Aiko 3. (They are the same mesh)

And hit "Match Centers to Morph".

If you DE-SELECT "create dependencies" while doing so, the new rigging becomes the default to create a stand-alone figure.

(If you don't, you create a "mini-Genesis" figure that can swap between both bodyshapes, while the rigging automatically goes along with that)

In any case the result is a weightmapped Hiro 3:

LurRbIZmrMrtp0dWHOdmxvi9WH5Fi9V5XpVLxT1f.jpg

sKog3HuO9aZblOXbz2zVSNYAM5y4pE964UxNUbTz.jpg

I might edit the weightmaps a little here or there to fit the Hiro shape even better. (Weightmaps are lot more "moody" than the old sphere zones)

I haven't checked if this automated process creates different joint centers than the original Hiro rig has.

This would of course mess with Hiro 3's legacy clothing.

But again, Poser has a solution.

One can "copy joint zones" from weightmapped Hiro to the non-weightmapped clothing.

A bit of weightmap smoothing might be necessary, though.

There are some examples shown in my old Weightmapped David 3 thread:

https://www.renderosity.com/forums/threads/2864254

Or maybe I remember how to create a "joint pose" .cr2 to copy the original joint centers back in, while keeping the weightmaps.

Provided I can find my ancient cr2 editor thingy somewhere in my archives. Lol.

Hmm, I already weightmapped Matt & Maddie from scratch.

I think only Luke, Laura and the Freak are left now, and then I'm through with all the 3rd Gen figures.

Then maybe I see how well this works with custom morphs.

;-)

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 8:07 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.posersoftware.com/amp/article/551/weight-map-injection

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 9:11 AM · edited Sun, 27 March 2022 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for the help, but I've never used PMDs 'cause I don't trust those external binary morph stuff.

(Tried it out once, promptly lost some work, never switched it on again)

But I already solved the problem the old school way, by making a joint center injection pose with my trusted cr2 editor:

(For those interrested: Just delete the first block of the figure's cr2 file and save as a pose file. The second block will overwrite the joint centers data, but will leave the weightmaps in place)

Hi8OSoBScorW8Lq66CSLDf0MJSuq401vPjBCBY55.jpg

Left the weightmapped H3 with the original H3 joint centers injected back, right the weightmapped H3 as derived from my weightmapped Aiko 3.

Clothes are standard non-weightmapped Hiro 3 clothing straight out of the box.

The weightmapping causes a bit of cloth pokethrough in extreme poses, but that is to be expected and could be easily fixed.

I'll refine the weightmap a bit and transfer it then over to the original Hiro 3 geometry file. (I suspect H3 and A3 have slightly different mapping)

Then I'll see how well this works with one of my custom sculpts.  :-)

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 10:15 AM · edited Sun, 27 March 2022 at 10:16 AM

JoePublic posted at 9:11 AM Sun, 27 March 2022 - #4436444

Thanks for the help, but I've never used PMDs 'cause I don't trust those external binary morph stuff.

(Tried it out once, promptly lost some work, never switched it on again)

But I already solved the problem the old school way, by making a joint center injection pose with my trusted cr2 editor:

(For those interrested: Just delete the first block of the figure's cr2 file and save as a pose file. The second block will overwrite the joint centers data, but will leave the weightmaps in place)

Hi8OSoBScorW8Lq66CSLDf0MJSuq401vPjBCBY55.jpg

Left the weightmapped H3 with the original H3 joint centers injected back, right the weightmapped H3 as derived from my weightmapped Aiko 3.

Clothes are standard non-weightmapped Hiro 3 clothing straight out of the box.

The weightmapping causes a bit of cloth pokethrough in extreme poses, but that is to be expected and could be easily fixed.

I'll refine the weightmap a bit and transfer it then over to the original Hiro 3 geometry file. (I suspect H3 and A3 have slightly different mapping)

Then I'll see how well this works with one of my custom sculpts.  :-)

I've used pmd literally thousands of times and haven't encountered any problems. Things have changed since Poser 6 and 7. It would also make redistribution of your weight mapped cr2s alot easier if you can reinject the base morphs embedded in the standard cr2 with a few clicks and menu choices into the weight mapped version rather than hanging in limbo while someone "figures out the packaging for you" or redistributing proprietary morphs... By accident ;)

Just sayin'

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 10:24 AM

BTW

Pmd injection files can be created without having external binary on in preferences, in case you weren't aware. File Export Morph Injection, regardless of that being on or not. External Binary on pertains mostly to scene pmd file generation, not pose file generation.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 10:44 AM

Sorry @primorge: the last time I tried a PMD file, I lost the full scene, and it was last year, which means Poser12. It's totally random, and impossible to systematically cause the error 

PhYl.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 11:53 AM

Y-Phil posted at 10:44 AM Sun, 27 March 2022 - #4436449

Sorry @primorge: the last time I tried a PMD file, I lost the full scene, and it was last year, which means Poser12. It's totally random, and impossible to systematically cause the error 

Apology not required....

Well if thats the case you better throw out ALL of the morph packages that you bought for La Femme or L'Homme. Including the figures themselves, ALL pmd.

Nowhere did I mention using external binary on in scene file prefs as a recommendation. The discussion, and all of my posts following the info about WM injection are about pmd INJ, a different thing... The difference between a scene file and an injection pose.

read this again...

BTW

Pmd injection files can be created without having external binary on in preferences, in case you weren't aware. File Export Morph Injection, regardless of that being on or not. External Binary on pertains mostly to scene pmd file generation, not pose file generation.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 12:19 PM

primorge posted at 11:53 AM Sun, 27 March 2022 - #4436453

Thank you for your patient explanation, I had indeed not seen the difference.

PhYl.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 1:33 PM

Just as a particular topic aside, I personally don't use external binary for scene file saving. Not because I'm worried about scene corruption, but rather I like the morphs embedded and not having that extra pmd file to go with the Pz3. External binary is supposed to make loading faster and cut down on scene overhead, generally I'm not concerned about that. I will say that if you're saving a scene with a fully loaded v4 with all her Daz format readscript morphs and a bunch of clothing and hair and props that's a shit ton of weird format data etc to write to a pmd. I'm not surprised if a thing or 2 might go wrong with writing all that to pmd occasionally. As far as pmd morph INJ I haven't encountered any problems beyond user error internal naming mistakes or the known bugs or shortcomings that have been documented about manually adjusted animated joint centers etc.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 1:47 PM
primorge posted at 1:33 PM Sun, 27 March 2022 - #4436455

Just as a particular topic aside, I personally don't use external binary for scene file saving. Not because I'm worried about scene corruption, but rather I like the morphs embedded and not having that extra pmd file to go with the Pz3. External binary is supposed to make loading faster and cut down on scene overhead, generally I'm not concerned about that. I will say that if you're saving a scene with a fully loaded v4 with all her Daz format readscript morphs and a bunch of clothing and hair and props that's a shit ton of weird format data etc to write to a pmd. I'm not surprised if a thing or 2 might go wrong with writing all that to pmd occasionally. As far as pmd morph INJ I haven't encountered any problems beyond user error internal naming mistakes or the known bugs or shortcomings that have been documented about manually adjusted animated joint centers etc.

Once again: thanks for the clarification, it's clearer now

PhYl.

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2022 at 3:21 PM

Well, I am worried about corruption. It's happened to me more than once, even with the latest version of Poser 11. (I don't user Poser 12 that much yet.) Seems to be more common with larger scenes. The last time, it was a scene with 10 figures, all dressed, posed, with hair, etc.

But I've never had trouble using PMD files, even though I have Use external binary unchecked. You don't even notice.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.