Sun, May 12, 6:37 PM CDT

Welcome to the La Femme 2 Forum

Forum Moderators: Kalypso, CreatorJacqueline

(Last Updated: 2024 May 12 3:41 am)

Subject: Dynamic Clothes WIPs for La Femme 2

odf ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 1:40 AM · edited Sun, 12 May 2024 at 6:13 PM

Since I enjoy sharing things I'm working on, I thought why not make a thread for it (now that we can).

I made a simple crop top to go with the pinafore I've already showed in the other thread and thought I might call the two together the "bookworm" outfit. Maybe I'll add some more items to it if inspiration strikes...

grr8TgDqVj2WpmF84EWBq44Q7ZetaqMEWdtmdVS8.jpg

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

SIGASIGA ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 11:37 AM

hi,

you are very creative and productive.

Would you agree to share your knowledge and experience of making clothes.

For my part, I have projects in progress with Clo3d/Marvelous Designer on the LFpro and LF2 avatar but the import into Poser in OBJ is not always satisfactory with conformal clothing.

Good idea for the thread.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 1:40 PM
Online Now!

Ah, I downloaded the zip for the dynamic adventurer clothes and they aren't showing up as props...are there files missing from the zip, like OBJ?

SIGASIGA ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:19 PM

hello,

.pp2 files are .obj files !

Make a copy in a different directory and manually change pp2 to obj !

Unfortunately for the adventurer files they do not have a UV map to create your own textures !

odf, could you put the UV maps with the .obj ?

THANKS

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:21 PM
Online Now!

They show up perfectly fine on my system.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:23 PM
Online Now!

I have no Geometries folder AT ALL in the download.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:26 PM
Online Now!
SIGASIGA posted at 2:19 PM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478499

hello,

.pp2 files are .obj files !

Make a copy in a different directory and manually change pp2 to obj !

Unfortunately for the adventurer files they do not have a UV map to create your own textures !

odf, could you put the UV maps with the .obj ?

THANKS

He created all the textures procedurally.  Rather smart to cut down on the texture mapping overhead and file size.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:46 PM
Online Now!

That was weird. I had to unlink and re-link my LF2 runtime for it to even show up. I never had that before. Bizarre.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 3:29 PM
Online Now!

Refreshing the Library should have taken care of that.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 4:31 PM
Online Now!

Ikr?

odf ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 5:03 PM
SIGASIGA posted at 11:37 AM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478494

hi,

you are very creative and productive.

Thanks! I often take items I made earlier and modify them, so that helps with the productivity. For example, the pinafore is based on a pleated shirt I made for Antonia. The crop top started as a shortened version of the adventurer shirt that I cut the arms off.

Would you agree to share your knowledge and experience of making clothes.

Happy to, but I'm not really an expert. I just make stuff up as I go, and sometimes it seems to work. One important tip that YouTube taught me is to always hem your clothing items. Hems give stability and make the cloth fall much nicer, and in addition give it a bit of a 3d edge. There's a little trick to constructing hems that work well in Poser dynamic clothes, which I may make a separate post about later.

For my part, I have projects in progress with Clo3d/Marvelous Designer on the LFpro and LF2 avatar but the import into Poser in OBJ is not always satisfactory with conformal clothing.

Conformal is of course an entirely different story that I know nothing about.

odf ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 5:17 PM

@rhia474 I see that you've got the outfit working now. That's a relief.

Just a quick summary to address points that came up in the discussion:

- I save my clothing items as props. In P12 and P13, the default seems to be that the geometry then gets embedded into the .pp2 files, so there are no separate .obj's and nothing in the geometry folder.

- I do indeed use procedural textures for all my clothes. In part that's because I'm too lazy to search for fitting textures or draw my own, but it also makes it easy to modify colors, rescale etc. after the fact.

- That said, I take care to have good UVs. These are automatically generated by Marvelous Designer, but it's a bit temperamental about it, so I have to apply some tricks to make all the pattern pieces have the same scaling, get the UVs to match along certain seams and such things.

- The prop's geometry is indeed stored within the .pp2 in .obj format, but that does not make a .pp2 the same as an .obj. If some software accepts it as such, I would not trust that software much. :-) Probably best to export from Poser if an .obj is what you want.

- I do not provide UV templates with my items. Is that what you were looking for, @SIGASIGA? If I find an easy way to produce them with either MD or Blender, I'm happy to provide templates with my future clothing items.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 12:05 AM

By popular demand, I've started on a long-sleeved version of the "adventurer" shirt.

16u5l0avIIjSGrMaQIdU30l99cOuBvNRUUGDmLef.jpg

jroulin ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 6:31 AM
odf posted at 5:17 PM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478515

- I do not provide UV templates with my items. Is that what you were looking for, @SIGASIGA? If I find an easy way to produce them with either MD or Blender, I'm happy to provide templates with my future clothing items.

You can download the free UVMapper. This will alow you to load the obj files and save an UV template in bmp format.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 3:22 PM · edited Sun, 03 December 2023 at 3:22 PM
jroulin posted at 6:31 AM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478524
You can download the free UVMapper. This will alow you to load the obj files and save an UV template in bmp format.
That's good to know. I think a script that exports UV templates directly from Poser would be neat, but I don't want to be the one who writes it. :-)

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 4:23 PM
Online Now!

It depends on how the UV maps are laid out when the app opens the OBJ.  If the layout is messy, it may need to be rearranged to accept texture maps.

jancory ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:30 PM

the uv layouts aren't messy at all; in fact they're very nicely laid out like sewing patterns.  the problem is some of the uv's are out-of-range for UVMapper.  for example here's a screenshot of the Adventurer shirt in Hex,  uv map lands in the quadrant above.  there's a way to fix that in the material room but i don't remember how.

q7BNIvOucHzS1po9aGLJC8PUDsohbK0JS3Gaf7Mo.png

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

odf ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:39 PM · edited Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:41 PM

Yes, for the adventurer outfit I put the UVs for each item into a separate tile so I could see the layout better. Poser has been able to handle that since I can remember, as is pretty much any modern 3d software. If I remember correctly, there's a setting in the texture map node, which should be set to tiled. Will check after work.

Normally, I develop each clothing item separately, so everything's in the default tile.

ETA: if the multiple tiles are a problem to some, I can try to remember not to do that in future items.

jancory ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:51 PM

like you said, it's not a problem for poser.  just for uvmapper & related uv readers that can't see beyond the default tile. 

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

odf ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 6:09 PM
jancory posted at 5:51 PM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478558

like you said, it's not a problem for poser.  just for uvmapper & related uv readers that can't see beyond the default tile. 

Yup! Well, if folks still use the ancient free UVMmapper and related UV readers, I'll keep that in mind for the future. As I said, using multiple tiles during development is just a small convenience for me, nothing essential.

jroulin ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 3:32 AM
jancory posted at 5:30 PM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478556

the uv layouts aren't messy at all; in fact they're very nicely laid out like sewing patterns.  the problem is some of the uv's are out-of-range for UVMapper.  for example here's a screenshot of the Adventurer shirt in Hex,  uv map lands in the quadrant above.  there's a way to fix that in the material room but i don't remember how.

q7BNIvOucHzS1po9aGLJC8PUDsohbK0JS3Gaf7Mo.png

Hex is also a part of my workflow. I really love that software.

jancory ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 5:54 AM

haha, not only use hex & ancient uvmapper but even used kaweki's equally ancient (2011) PropViewer to strip out the objs.....old tech is great sometimes.

jroulin---i have your sim toolkit & am having trouble getting my sims to save correctly for LF2. the collision thinks she's LF, not LF2 and fails. i've been editing the geom pp2s by hand to make them work. is there a trick i'm missing to making your tool see LF2 instead of LF?

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

jroulin ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 7:03 AM

Yes there is something to do but only on my side. I still need to submit a ticket here so that they add the update I did on the code. I was more concentrating on my Dynamic Clothing Toolbox making clothing for LaFemme2 those last time.

jancory ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 7:36 AM

thank you so much, love your tool! -jan-

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

jroulin ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2023 at 3:20 AM
jancory posted at 7:36 AM Mon, 4 December 2023 - #4478574

thank you so much, love your tool! -jan-

Happy to know you like it. :-)

Tipol ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2023 at 12:44 PM · edited Tue, 05 December 2023 at 12:45 PM

I also use hexagon for modeling but for UVs I use RoadKill and UVMapper to be able to keep the material domains. I love this outfit you made.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2023 at 4:36 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Testing some socks that I plan to include with the bookworm outfit (bikini not included).

cdywmG6LdPKKeBZDdWp76AvYVmJmjYyWCsUc9e7e.jpg

odf ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2023 at 9:43 PM

I think I'm zeroing in on the style I want for the "bookworm" outfit, but now I'm considering adding a shrug, as well. Always one thing more... 😁 (Also debating whether I should make the top a tad longer.)

HYJ8WumSZifSotVew8ievILxY3W7SMYt77EqZJv6.jpg

Rhia474 ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2023 at 10:04 PM
Online Now!

Awww, adorable! A shrug for when it's cold in the library, yisss!

odf ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 2:25 AM · edited Sat, 09 December 2023 at 2:25 AM

The feeling when the librarian comes back from the archives with just the volume you were looking for...

I really need to find myself a library scene to go with this outfit. 😁

Xa9Pe46dl6MD94ZVXD5q5zkWabMEfCenIPKRipIv.jpg

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 9:24 AM
Online Now!

That is SO sweet! And I think there are several library scenes on the market here, yes.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 3:33 PM

I waaants it!!! <3

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

odf ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 3:58 PM

Aww, thanks you two! Soon now, I think.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 6:37 PM

While I'm working out the last kinks, here's a handy tip for simulating skirts. Probably common knowledge, but bares, pardon, bears repeating for the benefit of slow-learning newcomers like me:

TgaNFS5ZrsIeVQiQsMuV93AMSNA26Pu6hdXSVnol.jpg

To avoid unintended panty-shots in certain poses, as shown on the left, it can be useful to spread the knees wider apart mid-simulation and bring them back in later. This collects and entraps a larger amount of fabric between the legs that can subsequently be pulled down by gravity to cover up the unfashionable underwear.

(LF2 is looking very serious here because indecent exposure is a serious matter.)

odf ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 8:05 PM

Given that I’ve unintentionally set myself onto an alphabetical trajectory with the outfit names, and considering the time of the year, I’m wondering if my next outfit should be a caroller. Modern of course, none of that old-timey costume nonsense. I’m thinking tights, knee-high skirt, big warm sweater, scarf, something along those lines. Maybe even some mittens and a cozy hat if I can pull those off. What do y’all think?

Of course that’s the version for the northern hemisphere. For the southern hemisphere, refer to my bikini set already in FreeStuff. 😁

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 9:00 PM
Online Now!

If you are thinking about a caroler you had better start working on something now.  Christmas Eve is only 2 weeks away.

odf ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 9:04 PM
hborre posted at 9:00 PM Sun, 10 December 2023 - #4478919

If you are thinking about a caroler you had better start working on something now.  Christmas Eve is only 2 weeks away.

I trust that, if necessary, I can come up with another C-word that goes with cozy clothes. 😉

odf ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 7:58 PM

I made some tights for the prospective cozy/cold-weather/caroler-not-stopping-until-at-least-epiphany outfit.

But they don't have footsies yet.

1dLQZO1oROUtopLEtZlBxsJYA2KpPIXeMUmPBlJo.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 8:47 PM
Online Now!

Nice so far.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 11:33 PM · edited Mon, 11 December 2023 at 11:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Et voila, tights with footsies...

rVzWoj8xN4EwrOWwgoic8plXwanQF6WEBqJz67ZW.jpg

Now that I've got that bug out of my brain, back to packaging up the "bookworm" outfit.

odf ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2023 at 10:50 PM

I made a promo render. "Dynamic bookworm outfit for LaFemme 2 - coming to a bookshelf near you, possibly in time for the solstice."

iGL8m6hwGMycTjrAWk2V3Awl7hjPQkEOXF2XQjzY.jpg

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 16 December 2023 at 11:10 PM
Online Now!

That is so cool!!

odf ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2023 at 4:34 PM

It's a good thing I used this pose for the render, with the arms all down and backward like that. The shrug slid right off her shoulders the first time because I had forgotten to pin it in place.

I'm thinking the default will be for the straps and the shrug to be held in place with the option to turn that off for special effects. I'm using single-triangle groups as pins, just add to or remove from the constrained group in the cloth room.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2023 at 2:36 AM

The bookworm outfit has been submitted for FreeStuff, so I think I'm now legally permitted to work on the next one. 😁

The tights and skirt look like a good start to me. Top added for modesty, choker because that's how she rolls.

lCyTcCapZT9Q5Y5SBJRgoSDGo0tilEaiOPooY3T2.jpg

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2023 at 6:32 AM

You're on fire, odf!

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

jroulin ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2023 at 3:42 AM
odf posted at 2:36 AM Mon, 18 December 2023 - #4479226

The bookworm outfit has been submitted for FreeStuff, so I think I'm now legally permitted to work on the next one. 😁

Think I will do a simulation script as soon as I can get The bookworm. 

jroulin ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 3:13 PM

The Sim is uploaded and waiting for aproval

odf ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 5:03 PM

Thanks, jroulin!

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 9:31 PM
Afrodite-Ohki posted at 6:32 AM Mon, 18 December 2023 - #4479233

You're on fire, odf!

He sure is, and I just added it to my collection of his freebies for LF2.  😁

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

jroulin ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2023 at 2:27 PM

And the sim script for the Bookworm is approved now.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2023 at 9:09 PM · edited Thu, 21 December 2023 at 9:09 PM

Please bear with me while I try to make something resembling a procedural knit pattern.

92HMGg3WEhIkaX5RdbqjCNSdaJa1JMZ99j9UQ8YI.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.