Thu, May 16, 9:43 PM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 5:41 pm)

Subject: Semi OT - CryEngine 3 demo

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 12 August 2009 at 4:23 PM · edited Mon, 29 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

Attached Link: http://kotaku.com/5335483/new-cryengine-3-demo

Now I know.... this subject has been brought here before.

I also know that the CryEngine is optimized in many ways for games and does not compare to a full rendering engine such as Vue's.

However, watching these demos makes me wonder when we will see some of that real time rendering technology spill over into tools like Vue for preview purposes.

I still dream for a hybrid tool, that would allow this level of realism for scene composing, lighting and texturing preview... and then allow a 'Render this with ray tracer' button.

Seriously... we are talking real time global illumination, radiosity to some degree and volumetric lighting !

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 12 August 2009 at 4:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.crytek.com/technology/cryengine-3/videos/

And another one from Crytek site.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 12 August 2009 at 9:32 PM

Yeah it's getting real good, and Nvidia was showing off it's real time ray tracing render card system: OpiX, I think it's name was ? :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 12:25 AM

now if only crytek would make some games with decent story lines :P

giant robot mountains indeed!

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 5:09 AM

And the memory and resources load for all that is.....?

Let's keep in mind that we already have some experience with graphics goodness that is purely for eyecandy purposes, and not really any  practical output application,

It's called 'Windows Vista'.

And according to the article, this was all -single bounce GI- only one permitted reflection in the process. True GI and radiosity would involve numerous raybounces.....and each additional set of bounce returns would up the processing load either logarythmically or geometrically....not linearly. So they are going to have to clamp it at some low bounce trace number to keep the data from exploding to impossible levels.

Then they are also getting into the realm of the granularity of the real world. As in 'how many possible control boxes can you pass in a poorly lighted area and not even catch a glimpse of them'? GI and Radiosity sounds good.....until you consider the fact that unless your switch or door or whatever is flashing in bright colors, or has a sign on it saying 'Next Level, Stupid!' then the closer you get to simulating real world lighting, the closer you get to real world visual issues; one of which being how easily things can blend together in poor lighting conditions.

Current game makers are unfortunately far more concerned with 'pretty face and perky tits', and not building actual =games=. Hopefully they do reach the Holy Grail of GI and Radiosity soon; then all they will have left to fall back on is that 'creativity' thing in designing the game......

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 5:36 AM

Maybe Renderosity needs a video game screen-capture gallery?

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 5:41 AM · edited Thu, 13 August 2009 at 5:41 AM
silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 8:24 AM

Dale b
lol how true AND for Hollywood, as I kepe gripping bitterly about.
However, HalfLife2, STALKER shadow of Chernobyl and some others are much better in every way than many Hollywood movies!
Sooner play Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, again, than watch the dross from Tinsel Town.
However, the great graphics helps the atmosphere of STALKER and HalfLife, the scariness of the underground bunkers in STALKER (inviisble blood sucking mindflayers, OMFG!! pants suddenly fill ! lol, and Ravenhome in HalflIfe2 thus making them far more eerie! :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.