Fri, Jun 14, 11:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 12:05 pm)

Subject: Thanks for all the not art..

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 12:21 AM · edited Wed, 05 June 2024 at 7:11 AM

Howdy from Texas,

I read and re-read the thread on the apparent diminishment of distinguished artworks here at Rendo. While I don't subscribe to the notion the pages of thumbnailed renders here are actually akin to art galleries, I do notice less and less interesting-- to me-- rendered submissions.

Which, IMO, is good.

Perhaps I can better explain my thoughts with an example. When the Macintosh computer was first released, it included 9 different fonts. To graphics designers and typography purists, this was a disaster, as certainly people would begin to put fonts together on the same page in hideous ways, thus insulting the sensibilities of the elite and further diminishing the great 'unwashed.'

And, in fact it did happen. There were really BAD examples created. But then, guess what? Some of those people learned a bit, and became more interested in type and all of a sudden, mere mortals were actually creating readable graphic design. Who would of thought?

A hundred years ago, while studying for my Masters degree in design, the same thing was going on. We believed one couldn't be a designer unless you could draw really good. And, of course I was the fortunate Sneech with a star on my belly. But, many years of design experience has taught me otherwise-- we all have stars-- just different ones for different folks.

Certainly a great equalizer is Poser, and Vue. The ability to quickly create a picture of a 3D island with reflective water all around, is a start for some--and the end for others.

Even if it is the end, I enjoy celebrating the challenge. How many times has my aged father told me he could not ever be creative like his son and wife, yet watching him create his own render of an island, surely warrants my comments, "Great job!! Couldn't have done it better...way to go!!"

And after all, isn't that really what the gallery comments are about? Are we all so serious as to think we can honestly critique strangers without the benefit of a look in the eye, and carefully toned sentence? I doubt it, as too many hurt feelings have already belayed.

So, for what it's worth, I enjoy watching people learn and create, and grow in their skills, and don't mind those who only dabble for fun.

I don't mean to restart a dead thread, but rather to put a positive note on a subject which has always been of great interest to me.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 1:15 AM

Good on ya man...great attitude...hope it's infectious.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

madmaxh ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 2:03 AM

Right  on. If you one likes to make arts or crafts of any kind, amateur dabbling is just as valid as serious professionalism. It's only a matter of degree.

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 4:01 AM

In my opinion, the Vue gallery contains some of the best art posted at Renderosity, regardless of whether the artists personally modeled every element.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 4:38 AM

Why should they? Ok, if you know the modeling tools and know exactly what you want, modeling it yourself probably is the only option. But if there is a readymade prop that fits in, why not use it?
Not everyone has every talent needed.

If you look at the pro studios they have modelers, riggers, animators, shader programmers - everyone does what he can do best. So why should an amateur master everything, from modeling over lighting, from a natural pose to perfect shading and texturing?

Thinking further, even people who do so still rely on work done by others. Every renderer, every modeler, every shader was created by unmentioned people - but without these, 3d-art is simply not possible.

It's great that we have the tools now, it's great that a lot of people can use them. Art is not skill - and that you need much less skill now to produce art is a good thing. Skill still makes a difference, but if I see an idea, an emotion ín a picture, it's art for me. And I see that often.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 5:04 AM

nod
Currently involved with local art council, hopefully help local artists of all types :)

Digital art allows folk  to undo mistakes easily, and that really helps beginners, plus with 3d renderers, you can make a simple, very pleasing image almost instantly.

This pic, in hindsight, makes me wince, but back then, I loved it, it was kewl! ;)
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/artofadreamer/3d/wizardstowernight.jpg

Anyone who had Bryce and didn't make a chrome sphere of water, missed out much of the fun, hehe

Traditional art is hard for folk to get into because it doesn't give quick gratification, usually takes while to become competant with both the tools, and understanding of art: knowing what you actually  wish to create, hwo to achieve that, how colour/shadow works etc.

Encouraging folk into art is a good thing. Very bad attiude in my area to anything that isn't "booze, violence, football, sectarian hatred". Which I've seen stop friends from doing art or going onto higher education. Pathetic and ugly :(

Art = different strokes for different folks. It's entirely subjective. There is no "Best way" only what "works for you".

Gallery comments should be helpful, if you know a technique to improve an image , or spot a problem, it's good to explain that in a jovial way.
:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

lindans ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 5:37 AM

To me it's a hobby that I find fascinating. I used to paint in watercolors when I was younger but was never that good, and gradually I just dropped it. Finding Vue, Poser and Paintshop has allowed me to rekindle my artisitic side and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I may still not be very good but who cares. If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be plonked in front of the TV. Long live amateurs!!!!!!!

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

Monsoon ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 7:58 AM

Here Here!    All hail the Shiny Sphere!!!

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 9:49 AM

Well said Chipp and for me, I used to look at all these images all over the web thinking "how can peeps do images like that", I thought they were terrific and talented peeps [and still do] because I can't draw for shit!
But I had images in my head that I wanted to get out and now thanx to Poser and Vue I can!!
I've made some cash from it doing book covers and stuff but for me it's mainly fun!!
Thanx!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

keenart ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 11:43 AM · edited Thu, 07 February 2008 at 11:47 AM

In all of my years as an artist I have been called many things, good and bad, but this I like.  Now when asked what kind of art I do, I can proudly hold my head up and say, "I'm a Not Artist!"

Love it Chipp!

jankeen.com

madmaxh ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 5:10 PM

If one is uncomfortable with the term, "Artist," one could always call oneself a "CG Visualiser" or some such. My mother was the first national anchorwoman on Canadian television, but never once called herself a "Journalist." She preferred the term, "Broadcaster," which she felt was more accurate and less pretentious. Whatever floats one's boat, I say. I would hope that the primary motivation for anyone here is to make pictures to please themselves first. Anyone who wants a job where the customer is always wrong should become a cop. ;D

Peace, all.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2008 at 7:59 PM

@madmaxh...your mom is/was Barbara Frum...wow...great pedigree, that was the voice the informed my youth.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 2:04 AM

Quote - Isn't that really what the gallery comments are about? Are we all so serious as to think we can honestly critique strangers without the benefit of a look in the eye, and carefully toned sentence? I doubt it, as too many hurt feelings have already belayed.

Just get rid of the rating system since 5 stars doesn't really mean anything.  It's always a disappointment thinking the gallery will be great when it is not each time one visits it.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

madmaxh ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 5:32 PM

Bobbystahr, my mom was (is) Helen Hutchinson of W5 fame, but you have a good memory. Barbara was a friend of the family, but her offspring, David Frum, unfortunately went on to become am American Fascist. lol.

Peace

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2008 at 6:45 PM

Ah..gotcha...was mainly a CBC watcher in those halcyon days as the owner of the only T V in our communal house would watch nought else...happy to see you fared better than David as I had read of his morphing into the enemy, and from such good roots too...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

madmaxh ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 12:58 AM

Indeed. Barbara was a truly fantastic individual. Good to connect here with fellow Canuckleheads. I love your byline! ;D

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 5:55 PM

*Canuckleheads...*LOL...that's a new one...for me in any case.. ...:lol:

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

rds ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2008 at 9:22 PM

Well put Chip!

eldritch48 ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 1:27 AM

Me personally, I've been posting less lately, and that's because Vue has increased my self-confidence and desire to do art to the point that I'm now attempting matte painting, and I want to go into Visual FX when I finish teaching English in Japan.  If you had told me 3 years ago that I'd quit my job in database marketing, fall in love with art and go to film school, I'd have told you that you were completely insane....and I feel like I owe much of it to Vue and to this community.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 5:47 AM

Eldritch48,
WOOO! great, man! :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 9:50 AM

@Eldritch48......these are decisions you'll treasure for the remainder of your time on the planet...Welcome to the Light man.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

madmaxh ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 10:46 AM

Eldritch48, conratulations! Good on ya for switching lobes. ;D 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.