Mon, May 6, 9:55 AM CDT

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 05 9:32 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the Marketplace Wishing Well Forum, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:17 PM

Silo can export normal maps now! Yay! This means I can continue my alien projects now that I can export the maps in a format Poser will read. :)

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 8:49 PM

file_363401.jpg

Okay, so here's what I'm working on. Alien project previously mentioned....

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 7:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1351335

file_363501.JPG

Well comming to grips with PMG Messiah a very cool animation and rendering program. Glad I have it. Anyways here is a pic rendered in messiah of my snow speeder. Also a link to Ichy the ichyasaur he is rigged and ready for action.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:06 PM

file_363837.jpg

New female

Cheers,
Patorak

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:22 PM

file_363840.jpg

Dann-O, awesome speeder! Good color too (I like blue).

Patorak, coming along well, though her posterior seems heavily dimpled at the moment. Not saying that's not possible, I've seen a few women with more hip bone than anything else but it does seem a little severe at the moment. Maybe soften it just a tad?

Here's a few updates from me.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:22 PM

file_363841.jpg

And a close up...

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:41 PM

Hello Teyon,

Great looking Demon.  Soften the hips,  I'll keep it in mind when I start edgelooping.

Thanks,
Patorak

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:45 PM · edited Wed, 27 December 2006 at 10:50 PM

Mer-man actually, so no hips. Those are obliques and I guess I really will need to soften them since folks keep mistaking them for hips, lol. Thanks! His tail will come later this week.

Edit:
Sorry, ignore the above. I've been told three times today to soften his hips, so it didn't occur to me you were talking about your own model, and my comment for it!  lol. 

Knee jerk reaction.  I think I'll soften my guy's obliques anyway.  So yeah, thanks bunches and you don't need to soften her butt too much...just a little.

patorak ( ) posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 11:19 PM

Hello Teyon,

Great looking Mer-man.  I think his obliques look fine.  Wait until you attach the tail,  if you are going to do any adjusting.

As for my female,  I tend to exagerate when it comes to the human figure.  Too much Hogarth I think. 

Cheers,
Patorak

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 1:06 AM

I exaggerate my females too so that I can tell what needs refinement later.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

patorak ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 9:34 AM

Hello Shonner,

When you refine your females do you adjust the base or add morphs to refine them.

Cheers,
Patorak

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 2:09 PM

Quote - ...Poser models are up to 500K. Yikes.

He was exagerating :).  Most of the Daz Victoria characters are in the 60-80k poly range.  Only a few popular Poser models top the 100k mark and even then only up to around 125k or so.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 10:38 PM

Quote - When you refine your females do you adjust the base or add morphs to refine them.

Cheers,
Patorak

Only the base.  I haven't worked with morphing yet.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 5:13 PM

Wow Teyon.. sweeeet model. 

Patorak, good job so far.  Nice volume, mass, or whatever.  Maybe the belly under the navel is angled inward too quickly and sharply.

I'm in the process of rigging this one.  Since the render, I tweaked here and there.. mainly the arms and wrists. (the wrists were way too thick)  She's a cartoony type of character.  The cartoony characters done by Andy (bunny girl and Suzie), and Lomax (mary-anne), that's posted on cgtalk  inspired me to try to make one... at the same time trying to come up with my own thing instead of it looking like a complete rip-off.

I'm sketching ideas for clothing.. so the pants and shirt here are just temporary.  And the hair isn't finished.

divinerain

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 5:36 PM

file_364188.jpg

Awesome stuff here folks! Thanks for the kindness!

Here's a new year's model for ya.  Silo 2...

Warlock279 ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 7:34 PM

Looks good Teyon. Reminds me a bit of Panthro from Thundercats back in the day.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

patorak ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 11:15 PM

Hello everyone,

DevineRAin,  looks great!  What program are you doing the rigging in?  Yesterday I did a bend test on my figure and now I'm in the process of redirecting the polyflow on the stomach and legs.

Teyon,  wow!  It's awesome.  I really like the flow of the jaw and neck muscles.  You know,  I bought Silo 1.42 last september and haven't  even installed it,  I think that will be the first order of business tomorrow.

Hello Warlock279,  how's it going?

Cheers,
Patorak

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 2:00 PM

file_364355.jpg

I'm working on a garden fountain, with an attached memorial plaque. I modeled in the pipes that it uses, too. I'm going to convert it into a prop for Poser, and make a stab at creating MAT pose files for it, which will be a new thing for me.

I've got five or six modeling projects that I need to get finished, but I ran into snags with most of them, so I'm allowing my skills to mature a bit before I get back to them and get them finished. I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions, but I sure do intend to get some of these projects off my plate before starting very many more new ones. 😄

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 3:09 PM

Hello CaptainJack1,

Looks good!  Are you going to add a water prop too?

Cheers,
Patorak

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 3:18 PM

Quote - Hello CaptainJack1,

Looks good!  Are you going to add a water prop too?

Cheers,
Patorak

I'm toying around with that idea, 'cause it'd be kind of silly to make a fountain without water. It depends on whether I can get it to look okay or not. If I do, I might play around with making a morph target for the water running over one or more edges, too; that would also be a new thing for me, and something I want to learn to do in the immediate future. 😄

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 4:58 PM

Maybe you could try the hair room too,  for the waterspray.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 6:24 PM

file_364728.JPG

Well I just wanted to show off wha tI have been doing latley preparign for a bigger render. Learning my new software etc. Modeled this guy in Wings renderd in Messiah 1 light Global illumination. I will have to fix that patch in postwork later. I have no idea where that patch is. So post work. Jus ttoo much owkr to get the UV map working as good as it is. to go back and trash all that. Did I ever tell you how much I dislike UV mapping. (a very long process too with unwrapped organic models)

I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Charles_V ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:58 AM

I'm working on a vase. 

It doesn't look like a vase.

And all I've managed is a round circle and one line to form the profile.  But I can't seem to clone it to other vertices.  

Its hex 2.

All hail the newbies!  

or some good exiting line.

Yaaaa.

Charlie

Dann-O ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:03 PM

Can't you do a lathe in Hex. (I haven't used it in a while even though I have it) For a quick vase in AC3D I would just make an oulie of half the vase and align it to the y axis then lathe and whammo you are done. Wings a bit more work cylinder extrude and size a few times till you have the rough ouside shape and then select the top and intrude smooth done. I gave up hex and went back to Wings 3D you can pick Wings up for free at wings3d.com. I think wings is more intuitive than hex and more stable too.  Metasquoia is also a pretty cool freeware program.

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 6:29 PM

file_365244.jpg

I am working on a htpc setup. And to do it perfect I have to learn texturing.

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 9:23 AM

this is where I am with this thing.. some goofy renders since I was testing out the face rig.  I still have a lot of paint weighting to do, but lately I haven't had any extra time at home to do it.  Have to wait for tomorrow,.. won't be so busy on saturday n sunday.

divinerain

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 5:40 PM

Cool a face rig. I have nto doen one yet. That is soemthign I have been gettign into is rigging latly. Faces still are not in my bag of tricks.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2007 at 8:49 PM

been working on some hummer models ...

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2007 at 8:54 PM · edited Sat, 20 January 2007 at 8:55 PM

Attached Link: Eyes

Working on my eyes again.  See http://www.shonner.com/drafts/images/hexagon_eyeball_8.jpg

Modeled in Hexagon 1.21 and rendered in Carrara Pro 5.1 using Veloute 2 and Anything Goos procedural texture plugins.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 28 January 2007 at 4:32 PM · edited Sun, 28 January 2007 at 4:35 PM

file_367186.jpg

Game sprites of some spaceships. This is one of them with some of the game sized renders.

EDIT - Modelled w/ Wings rendered w/ MentalRay.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:24 PM

file_370306.jpg

A crabship modelled in amapi...

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

file_370307.jpg

carrara rendering a batch of them...

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

file_370308.jpg

Details of a spaceship...

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:26 PM

file_370309.jpg

the whole ship...

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:26 PM

file_370310.jpg

the ship in a final render...

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:27 PM

file_370311.jpg

a cyberbot...way too many polys for general use.

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:29 PM

file_370312.jpg

and this one is just for moebius... its a still from dystopia unleashed in a animation that would make about any computer cry :) BT

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:29 PM

file_370313.jpg

the distant render of dystopia...

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:51 PM

Teh cyberbot did you make the face? It looks like you coudl go in and reduce the polycount pretty easy to a resonable level. Tha tis sort of a side effect of working with nurbs. If you have a good poly modeler you can bring her in a dissolve soem of the redundant edge loops. I do that and sometimes can cut my polygon counts in half.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 9:23 PM

Amapi Pro 7.5 can do both NURBS and polygon modeling.  It's a great program.  That second ship reminds me of Dune.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 10:01 PM

Attached Link: Statue of JUSTICE

JUSTICE in the Great Hall of the Unican Senate, from an AD&D campaign. 102,000 (and a couple hundred?) polys. the statue base is a Project MakeHuman body (with some adjustments), props and architecture made w/ Wings3D & 3dsmax. Rendered w/ MentalRay.

The picture is 1200x900, so I just linked to it.

Needs a few people for scale reference.
The top of the statue's head is 13 feet 2 1/2 inches.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 2:45 AM

file_370623.JPG

I am starting on a bighorn sheep cenatur dude based on a Tony di Terlizzi drawing. Tony is probably my favorite artist now his stuff has a lot fo character. So I am starting with the head. Really early in the project.

dvlenk6 nice hallway ther eI think the lighting coudl use a bit of work it looks a bit flat but the hall looks excellent.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 8:09 PM

file_370667.JPG

Body hands a lots edge moving dissolving and the like.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 12 March 2007 at 8:36 PM

file_371503.jpg

Another model I started. He needs eyes, teeth tounge and nails.  Then I can rig him. :)

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 11:31 AM

file_371588.jpg

brycetech.. those models are sweet, kewl final render of the ship.  There's a more prominant wrinkle under the eyes now after I made a blendshape to bring up the lower eyelids..  it can go with the smile and for squinting.  That's something I couldn't really get from the face rig.

divinerain

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 7:46 PM

wow
that looks EXACTLY like a girl I work with!

BT

zonkerman ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 5:46 PM

Divinerain, Dann-o, and Teyon, what software did you use to create your 3D models?

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 5:59 PM · edited Fri, 16 March 2007 at 6:00 PM

I use Silo these days. Before that, Wings. Before that, Rhino 3d. Before that Max 2.5 (very briefly).  I am supposed to be learning XSI (I'm the XSI forum mod also) but I haven't the time and that forum's pretty dead anyway, so no huge rush.

Important point to all that hoopla: It's not the tool, it's what you do with it.  :)

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 7:33 PM

I use wings 3d now. Before that well I was no good at all. I think Divine Rain now uses Maya but did use wings before too. Wings is free and relativly easy to learn. It allows you to select edgeloops and cut and dissolve faces edges and the like. Important if you want to make good models.  Mostly it takes time patience and practice.

Also get somethign that fits in with yoru workmeathod.  I likebox modling and I am really bad at Nurbs so I stick with wings; rhino which is an excellent modeler is compleatly lost on me. So two good free modeler with compleatly different approaches Wings 3D is a boxmodeler and Moment of inspiration is a nurbs modeler try them both and decide which one you can get your head around first . Blender is a godo free choice but I fidn the interface daunting but it allows you to do another meathod which is useful edge extrusion.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:14 PM

file_372035.jpg

I haven't visited this thread in couple of months or so... Wow, what a show of work!!!! Just amanzing :) Here's something I have in the works....

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.