Sat, Jun 15, 10:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 14 3:49 pm)

Subject: How many members here are Mac users?

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 8:02 PM · edited Fri, 24 May 2024 at 4:56 PM

What with the Windows-only availability of Tailor, and the still (I believe) yet to be released Mac version of UV Mapper Pro, I wondered what kind of Mac user demographic exists here.

Certainly there are software authors who are unwilling or unable or just uninterested in programming for the Mac OS, whether it's because of an unfamiliarity with the API or a belief that spending any time or money doing so would be prohibitive.

I understand that. So this is just a simple and informal survey of how large a Mac user community there is at Renderosity. Please take a few seconds to make your presence known. Yes, you lurkers too.

One other thing: this is most certainly NOT a PC-versus- Mac-whose-is-bigger/better question, so please, no flames.

Just a head count. Thanks...

gryffnn ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 8:23 PM

FYI: I'm able to run most Poser-related applications on my G3's VirtualPC98 (although I haven't tried Tailor) and Martin C's freeware apps let us use almost any Poser freebie or product (not .exe). I only turn on my PC for some non-Poser related applications, to test my products and for Mimic - which I'm hoping to trade in for the Mac version any day now...

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 8:41 PM

I own Virtual PC and am forever grateful to MartinC (bless his Mac-programnming heart) for his indispensible apps.

Not really a " how do I convert in a PC world" question. Only a poll:0)

RonGC ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 8:56 PM

Mac user here..I also use virtual pc for the odd little item that is PC only. I think you will find that there are a lot of Mac users here :-)

RonGC ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 9:00 PM

As an afterthought. Apple has sold 5 million of the new Imacs to date. This could mean a huge influx of Mac users and any developer worth his salt would start seriously thinking about coding for the Mac as well. That is a huge potential market that is only going to get bigger :-)

Don ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 9:30 PM

I am a Mac user. G4 OS9.2 (soon to go to OS X). See the Macintosh section under Topic Forums ---> on the right of this page. You can probably gather some names.

Gwiz ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 9:31 PM

G3 Pismo Powerbook here. I don't use Virtual PC. But I'm fine with the majority of great files from here that work on the Mac.

LeeMoon ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 9:44 PM

I'm using a G3 iBook 366 SE running OS X (10.1.2). I have RealPC/Win98 installed and can run a few lightweight Windows utilities with it. Lee

swaughvt ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 10:17 PM

Mac user here, G4 DP800 Mhz, OS X 10.1.3, no VPC but might be tempted to get it for the Tailor program. Poser runs fine in Classic, but can't wait to be all OS X. MartinC rocks! Sandy

JimX ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 11:38 PM

Just an informal observation from the commentary over the last couple of years: I would estimate the Mac population to be around 25% of the Renderosity community. That about fits the profile for a graphics community. - JimX

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2002 at 11:50 PM

A poll in this fashion is really not going to reveal any accurate information. Just too many variables in this uncontrolled sample. On the other hand, can't R'osity tell what kind of OS visitors here are using and get some stats from that? I think we'd all be interested in knowing, and especially the vendors as you suggested.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 12:35 AM

Mac user here. :) Nance: I use the PCs for the Internet (such as coming here) and keep the Macs offline to do art. Beasties connected to the 'net develop problems, and I treasure my Macs (and the work they produce) too much to allow them to suffer. Mark: you might ask DAZ what proportion of their shoppers download the Mac versions of their models. That would provide another piece to the puzzle. Carolly

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 1:11 AM

How many PC How many MAC. We've been wondering that for years. If you can find a way to drag people into the backroom and select one. I posted a simple poll there for you. It's not going to tell us everything. But I've always wondered how many MAC users are here using Poser. ScottA

Don ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 1:26 AM

So far, it's 100% Mac users @ R'osity in the back room!

Estruch ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 1:43 AM

I'm Spartacus!!!!!!!!! Mac user 9.2 and MacOs X 10.1...... G4 and Apple Cinema Display

pokeydots ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 2:31 AM

PC user here, did the poll, seems there are more Mac users, or all the PC people are sleeping! :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 3:28 AM

Thanks to y'all who've responded so far.

Even though, as Nance says, there are a whole lot of variables that can skew the results, you'd be surprised at how representative a "raise your hands" count like this can be.

ScottA: Thanks, also, for your post in the Backroom. Let's see how that goes...

brycetech ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 5:40 AM

hey I did this poll already based on the input I got, it ran ~23-28%. However, there was a difference in who did what on what OS. Tho the majority of users are windows users (that replied to the poll)..the majority of them were hobbiests. however, in the mac world..the users (tho not as high a percentage) were a majority of professionals. I doubt this has changed cause the more stable windows versions havent existed long enough to change the market, and not sure it will ever change. :) BT

BazC ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 6:20 AM

400mhz imac OS9.1 Only limit I've found is the limited range of cheap/free modelers for mac. I wish some magazine would give away Cinema4d5 for mac like PCFormat did for PC's Incidently I contacted MacFormat to see if they could put it on their coverdisk and they replied that their circulation was too small to cover the cost of the programme and they'd lose money if they gave it away! Baz

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 7:51 AM

MAC user Here
Running OS 9.2( begrudgingly)
and the Powerful OS 10.1.3
looking forward to the day when OS 9 is gone forever!!

ALL Mac OS's before OSX basically consisted of a small set of system resources
that are deployed in a " winner take all" fashion to competing MAC based applications that ,in and of themselves, have to have independeant self contained
mini-operating systems written in to them to run on the mac.
and then have these applications fight to the death( Crash) over those sytem resources. and if any one of the open applications has a bad day it destabilzes
or freezes the entire sytem requiring a complete reboot

That is why application development for the mac has always been a more labor intensive and expensive proposition for smaller developers who do not have the Assets of Adobe or Macromedia
But with the unix based nature of OSX we can now look forward to an influx
of unix Geeks developing for "Darwin" the unix variant that drives OSX.
even now konan the creator of 'Natural Pose" the poser animation importer for Bryce is busy working on an OS X version of his program.
and we mac OS X users can finally enjoy an abilty that Windows NT users have had for years: protected memory and true preemptive multi-tasking.
as i write this Lightwave 3D 7 for OSX is busy rendering a volumetric hypervoxels thundercloud animation it s own protected memory space.

the MACINTOSH has finally grown up and im very Happy!!.

My website

YouTube Channel

Barbarellany ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 10:03 AM

Mac here. On a G3 iMac running OS9.2. I have never understood why an artist would be on anything other than a Mac. I can't stand being bogged down with just the mechanics of running the computer. I just want to create. I have never had by printer send me jibberish in the 14 years I have been on Macs. My first was the portable (ancestor to the laptop). I had a copy of vitual pc but when I openned it and saw the dos command, I closed it and put it in the trash. Probably could use it and may pull the box out again one day, but for now it stays where it is.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 12:32 PM

Mac :)

scaramouche ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 2:42 PM

I have 14 academic licenses of Poser 4 running on iMac G3 550MHz 384MBRAM workstations at my school where I am teaching computer graphics and animation classes. I am currently working on lesson plans to give to CL for high school and college instructors to teach Poser 4 in the classroom. I can't give an exact completion date, but hopefully the plans will be done before July 1st (at the same time I am teaching myself the program I am writing the step-by-step plans that high school-aged students can follow). Adding my own licensed Mac version on my teaching workstation makes 15 copies.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 2:55 PM

Original Bondi blue rev A iMac here. Bless its Bondi blue soul.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 2:56 PM

Original Bondi blue rev A iMac here. Bless its Bondi blue soul.

FairyRaptor ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 3:03 PM

Another Mac user here. Where and what is the Backroom?

RonGC ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 3:33 PM

The Backroom is the Poser resources banner at the top of this page. Took me a little while to figure that out Myself LOL. Just click the image and your in :-)

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 4:38 PM

First thing a pc user will say about MACs is that they are meant for graphics, a feat requiring about 10 times the spec (?) needed for spreadsheets and database. The big mystery then is why any clearly visual application even bothers with pc let alone stays pc exclusive.

Bug ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2002 at 5:31 PM

Just got a DP G4 about a month ago after having worked and owning various PCs the past 6 years and I'm really loving it. Luckly I've got a PC to run Tailor but I would have preferred a Mac version. Really hope there will be dual processor support in the next version of Poser since right now it seems to be the slowest running program of my graphic apps right now.

duanemoody ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2002 at 3:50 AM

Without directly mentioning the distinguished competition, I'm running Poser on a Mac I bought in 1995, which was designed to accommodate the upgrades that have brought it to OSX compatibility, USB support, and all for less than the cost of starting over. This is in contrast to replacing your box every other Windows upgrade because the hardware can't handle it. To answer the question above, game developers stayed away from the Windows API until Microsoft created DirectX, a hardware backdoor kludge that goes behind Windows' back rather than trying to improve or optimize the Windows code. Apple chose not to let game developers directly address the hardware for stability's sake, for better or for worse.

Daio ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2002 at 8:18 AM

Mac user here G4 still running system 9.1 (I'll get around to moving to system 10 one of these days.) :-)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

gyusaku ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2002 at 11:45 AM

Mac user here too. G4 400 Sawtooth system running OS 9.1, and OSX 10.1.3 (which I am still trying to get used to).

Hiram ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2002 at 5:22 PM

Me too. Vintage first-run iMac if you can believe that. I'm scraping my pennies together...

xvcoffee ( ) posted Tue, 09 April 2002 at 1:43 AM

I also use a G4 400 Sawtooth, from March 2000 and only use X for MS Office (couldnt get 2001) but that cant last. Soon Ill need a DVD-RW and it may pay to see what upcoming config has it after the meeting on 16/7/02. Ps. Who will be first with a lipsinced Poser file? They now say end of APRIL, not March.

Dr Zik ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2002 at 4:11 PM

Hi Folks! Mac User here, since MacWrite and PageMaker v1.1. BTW Nance: I recall from statistics class in graduate school that a sampling of as low as 36 people can extrapolate a fairly accurate and reliable global model, if you prepare your survey instrument very carefully. I think these numbers demonstrate that developers should not ignore 3D Mac market. Peter (Dr Zik)

PilotHigh ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 12:16 PM

I did the poll but wasn't sure if I needed to post here as well, but here I am. G4 DP 533, OS 9.2.2 and 22" LCD Cinema Display. Aeriol

Nance ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 12:50 PM

yo Peter- But what IS the "sample size" here? Total replies to the thread? (100%MAC?) Total membership? (0.0004% MAC???) With none of the PC users replying, either method obviously yields wildly erroneous stats. Interesting question. Curious minds want to know! -- but there has to be an accurate method available. Again, shouldn't the admin be able to track such data?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.