Tue, May 28, 6:52 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 28 2:13 pm)

Subject: OT: Have your ran your screen name through a search engine lately?

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 12:38 AM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 9:43 PM

OMG! I used to be a reporter and newspaper editor, so my REAL name used to be all over the US Internet on articles. After five years,  my real name has almost disappeared - but  "drifterlee" is famous.

Some results (I used www.copernic.com free engine):

"Best place for DRIFTERLEE today"

(ebay) for sale - al your DRIFTERLEE" needs"

"Find out all about DRIFTERLEE today"...

And on and on. I'm not kidding. They just plug in your name. One site wanted me to install some  spyware to read what they had on me, LOL!

I did find some stolen art of mine, but since the guy has horses and liked my old "Cowboy's Christmas" pic and left my name on it, I just let him know he should have asked permission and not to do it again. He's in the US, so I can complain, LOL!

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 12:44 AM

LOL, actually I was doing that yesterday! Checked mine and several others from here out of curiousity...ok... I was being really nosey!  LOL

Since my name comes from a snippet of Canadian History searching for "Acadia" gives hundreds of links about the history of the Acadians. In order to find me you have to enter "Acadia+Poser"

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 12:50 AM

I think of that history whenever I see your screen name, Acadia. Didn't the Acadian's disappear like Roanoake or something? BTW. Wish the guy who stole my pic was cute - he has a horse farm, LOL!

Paloth ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:34 AM

I learned that 'Paloth' is a last name in India. Also, it looks like someone seized the domain name "Paloth.com" but dropped it.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:02 AM

If you run my screen name through Google, you get a LOT of links to Shared Virtual Disk Library, and to some obscure programming language.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ashley9803 ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 2:41 AM

LOL, I got a page and a bit on Google, all Rendo and PoserClub obviously, as I use the same name.
With my real name I get nothing - we'll all only exist in cyberspace in the future.

Jestertjuuh ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 3:06 AM

When I google my ava name, all that turns up is me =)
My nickname started a few years back when I was in the UK, My first name is very hard to speak out in English so they started to call me Jester.
After that, a girlfriend of mine started to call me Jestertjuuh witch came out handy since Jester is used a lot as nickname on forums.

Did a litle search on my real last name a few weeks ago and found out where it originates from, that was a interesting discovery.
My last name is rare, and the family tree I found with it is my actual family throu out history.

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing :)

To go to my home page, click the banner below.

Check my freebies on a regular base, click the banner below.

vince3 ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 4:06 AM

well i am a model from Tucson AZ,
and also an italian man looking for woooman, and i have a rapid ladido,
and i am russian man look for wifey,
i am a uni-cyclist (wobbly stick)
i have connections with spiderman,
and am a smurf killer!!
you can also get exclusive rights to my new hip hop album for just $25,

man i gotta give up the booze, 'cause i don't remember any of this!!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:25 AM

wow...I'm actually in Google. Last entry on the 1st page is my 2,000 or so entry database of web sites for Poser, Bryce, etc..;) Thank you, Trekkie Grrrl..;)

I don't even show up until Page 2...;) I know there's a Japanese Pakled,  because I had to become Pakled05 to get into a couple of sites.

But there's lots about us Pakleds, and how smart we're not...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:50 AM

Not much on me except that my user name comes under two graphic websites. Most entries relate to my posts here and at Daz.

My Facebook Page

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 9:34 AM

There's no point in even googling for 'ockham', since it's an alternative 
spelling for Occam.  But the name I use on my blog and elsewhere 
(Polistra) is nearly unique.  Googling it now will yield several of my blog 
entries, but at the time when I chose it, there was only one entry for it.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 11:08 AM

4 pages???

Fascinating, when I Googled myself I found out that one of my freebies was posted on a site that I don't belong to.[ Ain't it a pity that I changed my storage site so thelink on ripped off one is no longer valid? ] 

http://www.whatever3d.com/search.ez?q=poser&page=30

I guess this means I'm officially "somebody" in the Poser community :scared:

And I show up as part of the groups I belong too, plus there are a few entries related to images people did using,my freebies :)

I already know that I have a doppelganger, there's a real estate agent in Arizona that has the same name I do. And she's about my age.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:23 PM

Quote - I found out that one of my freebies was posted on a site that I don't belong to
http://www.whatever3d.com/search.ez?q=poser&page=30

Whatever3D is a search database for Poser. You can find both free and commercial items on it.

Unfortunately their database most often links directly to the freebie, giving the illusion that the site is hosting it, but it isn't. It's just a place to enter key words when searching for items.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:27 PM · edited Mon, 14 January 2008 at 1:28 PM

In the first couple years that I used the web, I kept running into 
references to my great-grandfather (my namesake) while searching 
for all sorts of completely unrelated things.  He wasn't famous at all; 
but for some reason many of the words or topics I looked up would 
lead to genealogy pages including his name.   This stopped
after a while ... probably because genealogy was among the
first heavy uses of the web, and other things quickly drowned
out the family trees.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

artnik ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 3:39 PM

I just tried looking up "Artnik" and found several listings, none of which had anything to do with me.  How can I differentiate myself from the other "so-called" Artniks? I think I was there first, but who knows? It's a bit spooky.

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 6:00 PM

A lot of the commercial sites like eBay pay the big search engines to plug in anyword to lead to their sites. It's a pain in the arse. I try looking up something like a graphics card or how to fix something and all roads lead to Ebay or some other shopping site - even if they have nothing available at all.

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:11 PM

Dphoadley - The One and Only! ;=D
Kinda rhymes!
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2008 at 7:25 PM

Run my name - the real one and any variant of my online name - through almost any search engine and you'll get hundreds of hits.

They even named a road after me.  How cool is that?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 12:16 AM

They even have a  special medical profession named after you "Physical Therapy" - or perhaps that's a cousin, LOL!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 2:45 AM

Mine brings up a lot of religious references for some reason ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

yungturk39 ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 9:05 AM

wow...I guess I'll think two or three times before posting to a political blog again.  Creepy.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 11:39 AM

Quote - wow...I guess I'll think two or three times before posting to a political blog again.  Creepy.

haha! The other day I was being snoopy and decided to run some of the more unique user names in google. I found that some people post on some very, well,  let's just say ... "interesting"  ... forums  :blink:  😉

I like my privacy ... sort of... so while I do post on other non graphic related forums, I learned to choose different user names to protect that privacy. So I pick a different user name for each forum. The reason I do that is so that if some crazed sicko (and believe me I have run into some real mentally unstable people on the internet)  from one community decides to google my name, they won't be able to follow me around the internet and cause me grief  :) 

Acadia is my poser related user name and I use it around the Poser community. But it's the only place that I do use it.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 11:41 AM

Using Google - searching on mrsparky brings up an assortment of things.

One oddity - some of the links are to those iffy "OEM" sites offering to sell my products here at rendo for exactly the same price as here or sometimes even higher !!  

Again using google searching on sparkyworld brings up loads of things - though often the first links and often a thumbnail to P2P sites offering my stuff. 

The legit links are pretty well placed on google top 3 pages showing all the sites I have stuff on. Yet I've never optimised the meta tags - which I think shows spending to have your site optimised is a waste of cash.  Yahoo doesn't tend to show the iffy sites.

Real name - nothing except for one link to a university intranet site.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

amy_aimei ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 12:37 PM

Oh! I did a Google search on my screen name.  It got about 380 hits.  All link to me, some even with my e-mail address.  BTW, no one want to search for my real name to look for me on the web.  There are many Amy out there.  LOL.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 1:21 PM

My real name brings up a comedian who regularly performs in Oxford.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 4:51 PM

My daughter was at Oxford for the summer three years ago. Met an English boy and they almost got married. Gorgeous place, England. 

Acadia - I once found my boss using his REAL name and company e-mail address at some site called "Wanda's Love Shack" it's gone now and so is he, LOL!

champgoof ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 5:59 PM

Quote - .... Didn't the Acadian's disappear like Roanoake or something? .....

I google myself but I do have a store with my screen name other than that only finds post almost since I discovered the internet LOL ok not quite but since I created the user name.

ps we didnt dispear ( as acadians) but back over 300 years ago we did get off our land shipped in boats :) But we survived well most anyways lol just had to throw that in there :)

Jestertjuuh ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2008 at 6:14 PM

Quote - I once found my boss using his REAL name and company e-mail address at some site called "Wanda's Love Shack" it's gone now and so is he, LOL!

How the heck did he became a boss?
I thought that you needed brains for that  :laugh:

Hmmmm, on the other hand, now your mention it.
I know a few people who became a boss, and no one knows how or why :glare:

I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing :)

To go to my home page, click the banner below.

Check my freebies on a regular base, click the banner below.

Gini ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 8:45 AM

"The "Gini" coefficient is a measure of statistical dispersion most prominently used as a measure of inequality of income distribution or inequality of wealth distribution." So there ; ) and I never knew that before !!

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2008 at 11:59 AM

My name is obvious when googled. Alot will bring up the tornado, storm hunters etc, but my name actually comes from my time watching the Manchester Storm ice hockey team. Sadly,no more. :sad:

vincebagna ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 2:13 AM

Nothing fancy when i type my screen name. I find my web site, my entries here and there and in french computer forums. I also found pics some made with my products, and sites that linked my site.
When i type my real name, i find a lot of things in Italy as my name comes from there, but i don't speak a word in italian LOL Of course a lot of genealogy sites are very inclined to help me to know more about my family. As we are only 4 with that name in all France, and all in the same family, i think i know enough about it LOL

My Store

FarawayPictures ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 2:56 AM

Faraway Pictures: Is currently 3rd, 5th and 8th on Google!

FarawayPictures: Currently number 1 on Google!!!

My real name Chris Morse was the last entry on the first page of Google.

PORTAL

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 5:37 AM

Now we know your real name we can steal your identity & set up loans for millions that you'll have to pay back ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 7:34 AM

My real name pulls up some accomplished poets/writers/artists in Europe, plus a couple of women in high positions in a couple of companies.

Cinnamon369 ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2008 at 4:51 PM

Good idea Drifterlee, I found someone using one of my images. It's a french/canadian(?) site and babelfish didn't do a very good job translating for some reason. They had linked to my homepage here at rendo..giving me some sort of credit atleast........however..........they removed my copyright and altered my work. (GRRRR!) 
Sent them an email requesting it's removal. I'll give them a week to comply then if not go to their webhost.  
Sigh........ :o(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.