Mon, May 6, 12:14 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 06 7:08 am)

Subject: any news from Nerd, what direction PP15?

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 6:29 AM

I know for a fact that DAZ3D have approached Smith Micro a number of times to help integrate the genesis figures into Poser natively, only to be flatly refused. Why is this not something being seriously looked at by Smith Micro? The fastest way to change from industry leader to yesterday's hero is to lose touch with your market. Why would Smith Micro refuse to help integrate content from the largest content provider in the market? Seems self defeating.

Oh, that one is simple.....because DAZ updates DS constantly.  And when they do, they break their OWN addons, much less 3rd party addons. Just keeping up with DAZ breaking addons would mean Poser would never be updated again as their programmers would be doing nothing but keeping up with broken addons.

Just plain incorrect. The SDK/API hasn't changed or broken anything since 4.5.0.9 which was an intentional break, and 3rd party plug-in writers were informed of the change in advance.  Further tr hat has nothing to do with Poser building a DSON importer.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 6:46 AM

I know for a fact that DAZ3D have approached Smith Micro a number of times to help integrate the genesis figures into Poser natively, only to be flatly refused. Why is this not something being seriously looked at by Smith Micro? The fastest way to change from industry leader to yesterday's hero is to lose touch with your market. Why would Smith Micro refuse to help integrate content from the largest content provider in the market? Seems self defeating.

Oh, that one is simple.....because DAZ updates DS constantly.  And when they do, they break their OWN addons, much less 3rd party addons. Just keeping up with DAZ breaking addons would mean Poser would never be updated again as their programmers would be doing nothing but keeping up with broken addons.

I'm talking about content support not addons. They are very different beasts.

You seemed to have missed the most important part of that post too btw.

What are the strengths of Poser, what does it do better then it's competition? Clearly it's not broad content support for whatever reason that is.

What would you say it's strengths are?

Oh, please........the DSON importer is an addon. As for your other questions, I have no intention of discussing "the competition" on a Poser wishlist thread.

Now that I think about it, how about explaining why DAZ can't make their figures POSER compatible? 

Hivewire makes Poser and DS with every one of their products, so it's clearly easily done.

Two versions is not the same figure. Otherwise making supporting content would not require two versions. DAZ 3D did make their figures Poser compatible by making the DSON importer for Poser plug-in for Poser. Same figure, same content.

Is the plug-in ideal? No.

Could it be better? Sure, if Smith Micro wrote it instead of someone else having to go through the Python interface.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 6:57 AM

So, IRAY defaults to CPU on large scenes. I have a 64Gb system than often runs at over 25% RAM usage while rendering, so I'm guessing that most of my scenes would be over the 3.5Gb usable memory in a GTX970 (although that doesn't take into account memory savings from instancing)... so is IRAY any faster than Luxrender running on CPU?

BTW, getting back to a previous comment... aren't .duf files proprietary DAZ file structures? Isn't .jpeg a common platform standard? How can you compare accessing the two as the same thing? I know DSON is an interface to allow some access to .duf files for Poser users, just questioning the analogy.

I also just downloaded DS4.8 to check it out on my AMD card... less than 5 minutes before I closed it; a new record!

Memory needed by the render engine is different from that needed for the scene. DSON is a content notation format, like a cr2 or an obj file or even a jpeg file, though a jpeg file is binary and the other three are text files. No, DSON is not proprietary. 

The DSON Importer for Poser is a plug-in for Poser that allows for the import of the DSON format. It uses Poser's Python interface. 

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:15 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:16 AM

What amazes me is that so many poser/Daz users were party to discussions between two companies that compete with each other at some level.   Not only that but they have an inside track on what will be successful and what a particular piece of software will fail and at what point.  Of course they will be right at some point just like the hypochondriac's headstone that reads "see I told you I was ill."

More worryingly all these people are spending their time arguing about who said what about 3D software when clearly their skills would be better spent on more important things like preventing people dying from hunger or drowning at sea while trying to flee war.  Their skill for telling the future could save charities millions if nothing else.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:36 AM

DSON => Does that grow on trees? - Is there some medecin for it? - Does it need water? Feeding?

The OP asked an honest question about where SM wants to go with Poser, in a Poser tread on a Poser forum.

Trains do not fly, and boats do not need rails.

Windows does not need Aplle, and neither does Apple need Windows.

Ford puts Ford enginies in it cars, and Chevvy uses Chevvy engines.

What happened between SM and DAZ happened 3-4 years ago, it's time to move on.

No need to pollute each and very tread with your wonder child.
If we wanna know?
We"ll visit your forums.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:46 AM

Honestly, I feel sorry for the OP who tried to ask an honest question.

With the DS intruders pulluling every tread here, "With the eyes of the admins closing for their posts" ,  I fear the only person that could have given a true answer backed out some time ago.

@ the DS  Boys; "Polluting and Pushing ALWAYS backfires".
No wonder your "wonder child" sales are dropping.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:50 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 7:53 AM

DSON => Does that grow on trees? - Is there some medecin for it? - Does it need water? Feeding?

The OP asked an honest question about where SM wants to go with Poser, in a Poser tread on a Poser forum.

Trains do not fly, and boats do not need rails.

Windows does not need Aplle, and neither does Apple need Windows.

Ford puts Ford enginies in it cars, and Chevvy uses Chevvy engines.

What happened between SM and DAZ happened 3-4 years ago, it's time to move on.

No need to pollute each and very tread with your wonder child.
If we wanna know?
We"ll visit your forums.

Sorry, actually this comment started this round of fighting: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2890889&page_number=3#msg4207388

Yet again, a DS user didn't start it, though some want to make it seem like they did.

Edit: Vilters/Louis Cross, which account are you going to use here? Please pick one.

piersyf ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:11 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:12 AM

bhoins, I didn't say that DSON was proprietary, I asked whether .duf files were. I don't mind being corrected, but please read what I post first...?

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:15 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:19 AM

You guys are so predictable.
I shall use Terrance. :-)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:17 AM

Remove library dependance on Adobe Flash, please.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:26 AM

bhoins, I didn't say that DSON was proprietary, I asked whether .duf files were. I don't mind being corrected, but please read what I post first...?

DUF and DSF are part of the DSON format. DUF are the user facing files, DSF are the back end files. Human readable text files, with a published spec. 

false1 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:40 AM

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that Genesis is a proprietary format. If SM had changed it's software to work with natively with Genesis it would have changed Poser's business model from a software that reads Poser compatible figures to a software that reads Daz compatible figures. Poser requires Daz rather than Daz requiring Poser. Didn't Microsoft essentially pull that switch on IBM with Windows? I remember when software was IBM compatible, now it's Windows compatible. I believe there was a sound business rationale for SM's decision.

That said, I can't see where SM has made any significant moves to counter the changing reality regarding content. I believe I've even seen Daz props requiring DSON. I won't speak gloom and doom for Poser because what the heck do I know. I WILL say that the natural evolution in quality and creativity provided by Daz and other third party product vendors is increasing aimed at Daz and Genesis. I feel compelled to give Studio a good hard look to see what it has to offer. I think others, especially new users, will feel the same.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:41 AM

With the DS intruders pulluling every tread here, "With the eyes of the admins closing for their posts" ,  I fear the only person that could have given a true answer backed out some time ago.

Just to make sure I am clear on what you are saying. 

As an official Poser Ambassador, it is your position that only people that use Poser in a way you approve of, and use no other software, except possibly Blender, regardless of how many copies of Poser they have bought, regardless of how many paid upgrades they have purchased, regardless of how long they have used Poser, and regardless of their purchase history on this website, should be allowed to post in this forum to ask questions, make suggestions, answer questions, correct misunderstandings, or correct misinformation.  

Did I misunderstand you? 

Since you are an Official Poser Ambassador, is that also Smith Micro's position? 

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:46 AM

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that Genesis is a proprietary format. If SM had changed it's software to work with natively with Genesis it would have changed Poser's business model from a software that reads Poser compatible figures to a software that reads Daz compatible figures. Poser requires Daz rather than Daz requiring Poser. Didn't Microsoft essentially pull that switch on IBM with Windows? I remember when software was IBM compatible, now it's Windows compatible. I believe there was a sound business rationale for SM's decision.

That said, I can't see where SM has made any significant moves to counter the changing reality regarding content. I believe I've even seen Daz props requiring DSON. I won't speak gloom and doom for Poser because what the heck do I know. I WILL say that the natural evolution in quality and creativity provided by Daz and other third party product vendors is increasing aimed at Daz and Genesis. I feel compelled to give Studio a good hard look to see what it has to offer. I think others, especially new users, will feel the same.

Genesis is in the DSON format. DSON is not a proprietary format.  If Poser natively read DSON format or if you use the DSON Importer for Poser, DAZ Studio is not required. 

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 8:54 AM

Speaking of misinformation. They are not dropping. 

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:11 AM

Just to make sure I am clear on what you are saying. 

As an official Poser Ambassador, it is your position that only people that use Poser in a way you approve of, and use no other software, except possibly Blender, regardless of how many copies of Poser they have bought, regardless of how many paid upgrades they have purchased, regardless of how long they have used Poser, and regardless of their purchase history on this website, should be allowed to post in this forum to ask questions, make suggestions, answer questions, correct misunderstandings, or correct misinformation.  

Did I misunderstand you? 

Since you are an Official Poser Ambassador, is that also Smith Micro's position? 

I'd like to see the answer to this myself. Seeing the behavior of these "ambassadors", SM would do well to get new ones for the next release of Poser. The idea is for them to show both old and new users how to get acquainted with the software and make them welcome in the community... not shut them up and tell them what to do.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:14 AM

What amazes me is that so many poser/Daz users were party to discussions between two companies that compete with each other at some level.   Not only that but they have an inside track on what will be successful and what a particular piece of software will fail and at what point.  Of course they will be right at some point just like the hypochondriac's headstone that reads "see I told you I was ill."

More worryingly all these people are spending their time arguing about who said what about 3D software when clearly their skills would be better spent on more important things like preventing people dying from hunger or drowning at sea while trying to flee war.  Their skill for telling the future could save charities millions if nothing else.

What amazes me, hornet, is that's is clear DAZ made a choice not to support or provide Poser versions of their products. And, it's the "fault" of Poser users who refused to switch to their application of choice.

Poser users made their choice as well - to give up DAZ. 

In retaliation, we are called names and belittled.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:22 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:24 AM

From all the fighting from without and within, Nerd truly has his work cut out for him.

Anyone want to get the thread back to topic? 

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:25 AM

You have it correct, false1.
And, I think with Nerd3D at the helm of the Poser products, we'll see some really exciting stuff.  In fact, at a recent post at Hivewire, he said as much.

Quoting him:  " I'm now more motivated and empowered to make the best Poser evah."

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 9:56 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:04 AM

lol glitterati you play the victim so well. DAZ didn't make any decision but to continue to innovate and add functionality to its platform. vendors make the decision whether to support Poser or not. Noone forces any sweeping decision. There is no anti poser conspiracy just free will of individuals to support the program of their own choosing. And you have done more than your fair share of belittling others for just expressing opinion.

Ask yourself why is it that the voices of a few Daz users in a Poser forum, here in poser heartland seem so loud? Two people arguing in a crowd can barely be heard. But in an empty hallway?

Also Hornet it's not prediction to look at current trends, genesis was released almost 5 years ago. Why is it that 5 years on SM have not been able to add some coding to Poser to give better support to DSON? 

At false1 poser supports plenty of formats other than posers own. Obj, jpg, png just to name a few. Why is it the content developers that need to bare the burden of making square pegs fit posers round hole. When smith micro could implement changes to increase poser compatibility base and make the crossover much easier. Though as glitterati agreed its worth giving DS a long hard look if smith micro feel the way forward is locking out its users to a large portion of the content on the market.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:17 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

No victim here.  I made a conscious choice and am very happy with it.

All the name calling, disdain, ugliness comes from one side.

One does have to wonder with your superior intellect, abilities to know the future and superior products, you'd have no reason to be so damned pissed off at everybody and everything Poser.

Your world at DS is all pretty bubbles and fun stuff.......so why the heck are you so worried about what POSER users are doing in POSER in a POSER forum, in a POSER thread?

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:38 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:41 AM

Well, i have purchased multiple versions of poser going back to poser4 , have made products for poser, have perserved for a longtime adding Poser support for products i have created using ds. I have an interest in poser's development and future. Is that enough for you?

what is it that makes you feel you have a right to pour hatred out on anyone that dares breath the sacriligeous words DDDAAAZZZ SSSTTTUUUDIO?

And why is asking for increased compatibility support in Poser considered as being "pissed off with everybody and everything poser" may i ask?

why is it that you see poser and ds as enemies and not just different tools is the real question? Flying into threads and blowing up over percieved insults i just don't understand, why it is so difficult to have rational conversation about some 3d tools....

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:43 AM

Well, i have purchased multiple versions of poser going back to poser4 , have made products for poser, have perserved for a longtime adding Poser support for products i have created using ds. I have an interest in poser's development and future. Is that enough for you?

what is it that makes you feel you have a right to pour hatred out on anyone that dares breath the sacriligeous words DDDAAAZZZ SSSTTTUUUDIO?

And why is asking for increased compatibility support in Poser considered as being "pissed off with everybody and everything poser" may i ask?

why is it that you see poser and ds as enemies and not just different tools is the real question? Flying into threads and blowing up over percieved insults i just don't understand, why it is so difficult to have rational conversation about some 3d tools....

ROFL, now THAT'S funny.  Blowing up?  Not me.  I just quoted Nerd3D.
For some reason, that really got you going............

structure ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:49 AM
Forum Coordinator

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/start

The DAZ Scene Object Notation (DSON) file format is meant to be a lightweight format that captures the creation of a scene as a collection of assets with defined relationships. This format is not intended to be fully backward compatible with Poser content, although extensive efforts have been made to accommodate features of the Poser file format for features that are common to Poser and DAZ Studio.

Ok - from the Keyboard of DAZ to your eyes. Enough about DSON already. It's old.

focus on things that are meant to be fully compatible with poser? You want to use genesis, there is a platform fully capable of using genesis, it was designed for it. There is no need for it to be rehashed in every topic about the future of poser.

Locked Out

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:52 AM

One does have to wonder with your superior intellect, abilities to know the future and superior products, you'd have no reason to be so damned pissed off at everybody and everything Poser.

Your world at DS is all pretty bubbles and fun stuff.......so why the heck are you so worried about what POSER users are doing in POSER in a POSER forum, in a POSER thread?

How would you describe this then? As constructive input maybe :) did you quote nerd3D? wasn't it something about its all going to pretty bubbles and fun stuff now for poser? ;)

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:54 AM

How would you describe this then? As constructive input maybe :) did you quote nerd3D? wasn't it something about its all going to pretty bubbles and fun stuff now for poser? ;)

Just the facts........I'm sorry they upset you so.

LouisCross ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:55 AM

Pfffft, there's just no getting back on topic here.

I'm off, gonna play with Zbrush.

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:58 AM

focus on things that are meant to be fully compatible with poser? You want to use genesis, there is a platform fully capable of using genesis, it was designed for it. There is no need for it to be rehashed in every topic about the future of poser.

Its not just about genesis its about a lot of content including large scale sets that are just dropping poser support. Why because you need to almost recreate a lot of the content from scratchto bring it into poser. Why because poser is niching itself to what it supports and what it won't support.

jura11 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:59 AM

Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users, which would be the majority of windows users.

I don't want to denigrate this conversation any further than it has been already. But it's not possible for all companies to be monopolistic. It's a little like saying "We are all the best." Also it's not surprising that iRay doesn't play well with AMD cards, as it's developed by Nvidia to showcase and make use of Nvidia developed tech.... I wouldn't expect to see any partnership between SM and Chaos Group in the near future either, so I wouldn't hold your breath about seeing any in house GPU support in PP2015. The DS bashing comment was not directed at yourself but at earlier contributors to this thread. 

"As we are said,what we are want to add,I want better GPU scaling,instancing etc.,do we are tried say anything about the DS where is bad.we are said,IRAY is not good for us who owning AMD card,bloody hell,please read!" <-- This is "Bloody" pure gold!

Hi there Do you know on what exact therms will be W10 free ? I don't know and due this I would rather wait and see,I'm staying with W7 for time being 

Agree IRAY is and has been only for showcase NVIDIA and CUDA tech,I'm too not expecting see V-RAY for Poser and on long therm I would love to see this happens,but as I said,we will see.

GPU support,this we will see,but I hope Poser will have PBR in near future what I know at least

Thanks,Jura

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:01 AM

The facts, lol. At least you have a sense of humour.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:08 AM

This format is not intended to be fully backward compatible with Poser content, although extensive efforts have been made to accommodate features of the Poser file format for features that are common to Poser and DAZ Studio.

Ok - from the Keyboard of DAZ to your eyes. Enough about DSON already. It's old.

Which is stating that Poser Content, such as Victoria 4, is not fully compatible with the format. It is not stating that Poser could not import the format, or that Content in that format could not be used in Poser, given the DSON importer for Poser or Poser adding a native importer. 

structure ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:24 AM
Forum Coordinator

This format is not intended to be fully backward compatible with Poser content, although extensive efforts have been made to accommodate features of the Poser file format for features that are common to Poser and DAZ Studio.

Which is stating that Poser Content, such as Victoria 4, is not fully compatible with the format. It is not stating that Poser could not import the format, or that Content in that format could not be used in Poser, given the DSON importer for Poser or Poser adding a native importer. 

That may be the case, but the fact remains, it was not meant to work completely in poser. And DSON offers a lightweight (read diminished) ability to use it in poser. Thanks, but IF, I should ever want to use it, I want to use it with no restrictions, So I would use DS. I personally don't care what the DSON argument is about, SM do not support it (and before you fanboys argue, go ask them a question about it.), fair enough, move to the software that does. In the end, no amount of extolling it's virtues, from however high you can climb, is likely to get them to change their minds. And TBH, with the amount of times poser threads have been hijacked by the DAZDSON fanboys, It would not surprise me in the least if the next version of poser dropped any kind of import support for DSON (we can only dream), and partnered up with Hivewire to make content. That way at least, DAZ will be able to charge for their studio software (touted to be worth $500); the arguments will end, and peace could return to the 3D world, and poser could actually move on to new things away from the (almost) constant argument that is DAZ in a poser forum.

Locked Out

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:41 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:47 AM

Homestly Structure, i reread that post three time and it still doesnt make a great deal of sense. Your sayimg poser would be better with less compatibility and less support from vendors? That that somehow would create a peaceful scenario? In my experience in the business world when you have "peace" you have little competition and very little progression. Sm won't need to drop dson support at this rate as a lot of vendors are just dropping poser support period. If there is no interest in dson why are there about 6 products on the front page of rendo store that use it, and 100s of others too in the store.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:41 AM

"I looked at IRAY with DAZ4.8... not free. The renderer is, but you buy all the texture stuff separately... ever added up all the 'add ons' that DAZ have available? Comes to 100's of dollars. Not free."

Why not make your own shaders? I've been doing it since 4.8 was released and rocket science it ain't ;). Granted, I actually LIKE making shaders (in Poser too) but if all you have to do is move sliders, all you need to spend is your time.

"Oh, BTW, I use an AMD video card. IRAY is no advantage to me over Luxrender. Which IS free."

I'll give you the first half of this statement. If you have an ATI card you're sort of SOL...to be expected with a render engine created by a rival graphics card manufacturer. However, Luxrender and Iray in DS are BOTH free since you don't have to pay for either one. Let's face facts ;).

"I'd be very happy if Poser had instancing so I could do proper outdoor scenes like I can do in Carrara. I'd also be happy if DAZ did some work on Carrara. Poser and Carrara are perfectly fine for me, and I would like to see it continue in development."

I don't use Carrara, but I would love to see instancing in Poser. Would be very handy :).

Laurie

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:50 AM

That may be the case, but the fact remains, it was not meant to work completely in poser. And DSON offers a lightweight (read diminished) ability to use it in poser. Thanks, but IF, I should ever want to use it, I want to use it with no restrictions, So I would use DS. I personally don't care what the DSON argument is about, SM do not support it (and before you fanboys argue, go ask them a question about it.), fair enough, move to the software that does. In the end, no amount of extolling it's virtues, from however high you can climb, is likely to get them to change their minds. And TBH, with the amount of times poser threads have been hijacked by the DAZDSON fanboys, It would not surprise me in the least if the next version of poser dropped any kind of import support for DSON (we can only dream), and partnered up with Hivewire to make content. That way at least, DAZ will be able to charge for their studio software (touted to be worth $500); the arguments will end, and peace could return to the 3D world, and poser could actually move on to new things away from the (almost) constant argument that is DAZ in a poser forum.

Not a fact, your opinion. A light weight format does not mean less capable.

Poser does not natively support it, at this time, which does not equal to Poser does not support it, by providing an API that allows a plug-in to support it (mostly). That does not preclude Poser from supporting it in the future, nor does it mean that many Poser Users do not want Poser to support it natively. 

structure ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:56 AM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 11:59 AM
Forum Coordinator

Homestly Structure, i reread that post three time and it still doesnt make a great deal of sense. Your sayimg poser would be better with less compatibility and less support from vendors? That that somehow would create a peaceful scenario? In my experience in the business world when you have "peace" you have little competition and very little progression. Sm won't need to drop dson support at this rate as a lot of vendors are just dropping poser support period. If there is no interest in dson why are there about 6 products on the front page of rendo store that use it, and 100s of others to in the store.

Nobody said there was no interest in DSON - show me where I said that? What there is no interest in (and this is where the peace would come from) is the constant bitching of a few people about how poser needs DSON, and the fights that then ensue. I personally have no interest in DSON, And the future of poser is not tied up in DSON, And even if SM don't drop support, we could still do without the constant hijacking of poser threads claiming the answer to everything is DSON / genesis. The reason I use poser has no need for any particular kind of figure / prop, Nor will it ever.
but this is what I see every time a POSER thread catches my interest. The daz fanboys come in, and muscle out all the people who dare to think differently to them, and turn the thread into an OMG how wonderful is DSON thread. Now normally I wouldn't mind, but come on .... EVERY damned thread? is this a new plan by DAZ? do they pay you guys to do this? Is it some kind of DAZ masterplan to conquer the 3D universe? Give it a break already.

Locked Out

structure ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:04 PM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:06 PM
Forum Coordinator

Poser does not natively support it, at this time, which does not equal to Poser does not support it, by providing an API that allows a plug-in to support it (mostly). That does not preclude Poser from supporting it in the future, nor does it mean that many Poser Users do not want Poser to support it natively. 

ok, so what you are saying here is that poser supports DSON right? that it is just my opinion that it does not? ok.(I never said poser did not, i said SM do not)
A light weight format does not mean less capable. - by providing an API that allows a plug-in to support it (mostly) so it supports it MOSTLY but is not less capable? Since when is that not a contradiction?

I hope you were not claiming to be any kind of expert on the topic, because right there, you lost it.

Locked Out

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:20 PM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:26 PM

So whats the answer, no opinion shall ever be expressed about dson in a poser forum unless its negative? Never mention genesis unless it's to say i dont use it...

just because you dont like/use dson doesnt mean others discussing posers compatibility for file formats in future versions of poser is hijacking a thread.

The agressive trolling in this forum is where 90% of the arguments come from, that and the feeling that some users have the impression that they have a right to jump on other members for expressimg am opinion different then their own. More personally attacking then offering any real input into the discussion. Frequently Labelling people as DS users, daz fanboys as if that means they have no right to an opinion or dont belong here. Like there is some kind of war between ds and poser users and ranks are forming to win the battle over and over. Same tired arguments over and over.... with failure to rationally discuss anything constructively. its just sad really.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:30 PM

So whats the answer, no opinion shall ever be expressed about dson in a poser forum unless its negative? Never mention genesis unless it's to say i dont use it...

just because you dont like/use dson doesnt mean others discussing posers compatibility for file formats in future versions of poser is hijacking a thread.

The agressive trolling in this forum is where 90% of the arguments come from, that and the feeling that some users have the impression that they have a right to jump on other members for expressimg am opinion different then their own. More personally attacking others then offering any real input into the discussion. Frequently Labelling people as DS users, daz fanboys as if that means they have no right to an opinion or dont belong here. Like there is some kind of war between ds and poser users and ranks are forming to win the battle over and over. Same tired arguments over and over.... with failure to rationally discuss anything constructively. its just sad really.

What's sad is that you think doing this will get DS support:
Poser users on this very forum have been called:

1. just plain too stupid to see the writing on the wall
  2. cheap bastards with old computers
  3. too dumb to know the difference between a good model and a bad model
  4. being run over by the stampede to DS/Genesis

Until  you and your cohorts realize you are winning no customers with behavior like this, we will just continue on the same path.

For me, my fondest wish is that the next version of Poser can be renamed the "F**KDAZ" version of Poser.  Loud and clear so that there is nothing left to interpretation.

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:35 PM

Lol, as i said agressive trolling....

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:38 PM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:39 PM

LouisCross Wrote:
"Pfffft, there's just no getting back on topic here.
I'm off, gonna play with Zbrush."

Honestly Vilters, how could you do such a thing, to buy ZBrush when I just sold mine and decided to completely surround myself in Blender goodness?
We could have been best Blender buddies and stuff ... but ... ah ... you just spoiled it all now!

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:39 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity, violence

on BOTH sides Razor. 

but anyway, Dead Horses for sale! Flogging Sticks for sale! get 'em here for the latest dead horse flogging flame fest!

will all please grow up and act your ages or atleast your IQ's. that goes for Poser fans and Daz fans. I am sick to fucking death of this war. get a life the lot of you. it's SOFTWARE AND DATA SETS. thats all. not religon. not football teams. 

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:41 PM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:45 PM

Good gawd, I am so very sick of all this...

Is it ok if I like em both? Does that mean I can ask for something that  DS has for Poser? Does it mean I can ask for something Poser has that DS doesn't? Alright then...

Let's be fair: I want a PBR for Poser. Have for a long time now, it's nothing new. I fight with Poser's material room to be able to make the kind of shaders I wanna make (ie: caustics for glass and gems). I want a native dynamic cloth solution for DS - NOT Optitex. No reason why DS can't impliment their own solution where you can model your own clothing and drape them inside the program without having to give your life savings, your firstborn and your left nut to Optitex for the pleasure.

Edit: actually, I'd like to make two suggestions for Poser - if you're not going to give native support for Daz figures (and I'm not in anyway saying that SM has to - it's THEIR company), please for the love of gawd provide some figures that look better than the stuff we have now (like the figures have been chewed up and spit out beforehand).

Everyone happy? ;)

Laurie

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:43 PM

WTF, Khai, how many times do I have to tell people to stop crossposting with me?
Stop it already!

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:46 PM

ok, so what you are saying here is that poser supports DSON right? that it is just my opinion that it does not? ok.(I never said poser did not, i said SM do not)
A light weight format does not mean less capable. - by providing an API that allows a plug-in to support it (mostly) so it supports it MOSTLY but is not less capable? Since when is that not a contradiction?

I hope you were not claiming to be any kind of expert on the topic, because right there, you lost it.

You stated that it was a Fact that SM does not support DSON. That is not in any way a fact. You then went on to back up your "fact" with a series of obvious opinions. 

SM has only one software product line, out of many, which would have anything to do with DSON. Did you want to talk about StuffIt instead? If so, you are correct Stuffit does not support Content from Renderosity or DAZ 3D, whether it is a CR2 or DSON. 

"A light weight format does not mean less capable. - by providing an API that allows a plug-in to support it (mostly) so it supports it MOSTLY but is not less capable?"

Two different statements, not related. I should have been more clear. Poser does not natively support the DSON format at this time....  Is that clearer? 

You appear to be reading things and misunderstanding. Let me try again. I am saying that Poser's API supports the ability to build an importer to import the format (which is support of the format). There are some issues with it, mostly due to the nature of that API. Native Import should work significantly better because it doesn't have to go through the Python API.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:49 PM

Can we still keep Firefly?, I like Firefly.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:51 PM

Can we still keep Firefly?, I like Firefly.

Dunno why not. LOL

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:54 PM

Can't believe I put a comma after a question mark. Gdurf.

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:54 PM · edited Fri, 12 June 2015 at 1:02 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

file_eb160de1de89d9058fcb0b968dbbbd68.jp

Yeah, listen, If Nerd adds Genesis Vickie support to Poser, I'll see to it that it is removed!!!

And stop talking about your crappy DS and Vickies in here!!!
Poser doesn't even officially support DS or Genesis Vickies!!!

Later,
Roxie - Girl With Blade

Razor42 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2015 at 12:56 PM

Khai im pretty much done here, everytime i enter a conversation and express a viewpoint there is something that i tend to forget. That there  are a few people here that just hate ds or anything associated with ds rather blindly. And are not afraid to serve nothing but hostility to anyone who feels differently. I'm pretty much tired of wasting my time trying to be a part of the poser culture here. its been made abundantly clear multiple times that i will always be seen as an outsider. To be honest I'm feeling as if i need to constantly defend myself from attacks whenever i say anything. While the same weak argument go again and again like ground hog day. It really just isnt worth it. No wonder rendo dropped the word community from there bannerhead..,,

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.