Fri, May 3, 3:37 AM CDT

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 28 9:40 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Welcome and General Blender Info for Newbies

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2019 at 4:27 PM
Forum Moderator

Just to keep this on top where Sticky belong

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderatorย 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2019 at 7:36 PM
Forum Moderator

Just some house keeping to keep this thread active

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 17 May 2020 at 5:15 PM
Forum Moderator

Just posting to refresh thread

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Torquinox ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 10:13 AM

This looks like a pretty solid and deep Blender 2.8 for-beginners tutorial from CG Fast Track. It's 3 parts: Up and Running, Sword, and Stone.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 4:43 PM ยท edited Thu, 18 June 2020 at 4:45 PM
Forum Moderator

Oh that looks like a good one great add Torquinox Here is one that just came out

7 hidden Blender hacks that will improve your workflow

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Torquinox ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 6:56 PM

Thanks Lobo! Those hidden hacks look good, too!

Torquinox ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2020 at 3:08 PM ยท edited Sun, 12 July 2020 at 3:12 PM

There are a lot of Blender folks on Youtube making good, approachable beginner and feature demonstration videos. Here is a tip of the hat to SirPinkBeard. He has a mellow, approachable presentation style that I find agreeable. He has sets of videos arranged into courses, as well. I don't know about his get rich videos and some of that other stuff, but for Blender, his page is well worth a look.

Miss B ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2020 at 11:42 PM

Thanks for the link Torq, as his Blender tutorials look interesting.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2020 at 12:16 PM

Hi Miss B! Any time ๐Ÿ˜ I watched some and thought it was good. I'll be watching more. BTW: DId you take your sculpting course? How did it go?

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2020 at 1:30 PM

No, haven't gotten into sculpting yet, but I'm looking forward to it, so when I do, I'll let you know how it goes. ๐Ÿ˜„

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2020 at 2:28 PM

I'll be happy to hear all about it (and hopefully get to see what you made, too). ๐Ÿ˜€

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2020 at 5:37 PM

Oh for sure I'll show it off, assuming it's worth showing off. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 9:19 AM

Let's wake this one up, too. If you're new to Blender or new to the 3D scene on Youtube, you may not know about the pair of former character animators turned educators known as Flipped Normals. These two guys are opinionated, but they're also very good at explaining things. To that end, in August 2019, they put out a 5-part beginner series on modeling a lightsaber in current versions (2.8+) of Blender. I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I shall mention it now. Hopefully, this does not overload the forum software.

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for these Torq. I've finally installed 2.93, and have been playing around in it, though mostly setting up the UI to look similar to my 2.79 UI.

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 12:50 PM

My pleasure, Miss B! Glad to help. I'm glad you're finally dipping your toe in. I think you'll find the water's quite nice in 2.93. ๐Ÿ˜„

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 1:15 PM

I'm sure once I get used to it, it will be easier to work with. Right now I'm still making notes where to find things I had no problem finding in the 2.7x versions.

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2021 at 1:51 PM

I feel your pain, but I think it'll be worth the effort for you.

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 2:30 PM ยท edited Mon, 12 July 2021 at 2:39 PM

OK, I'm slowly going out of my mind! Can someone please help me?

I've been slowly watching the first video Torq posted by FlippedNormals so I can make notes about how some things are accessed in the new UI, and I've just realized I'm missing a very important aspect, one I edit all the time.

How on earth can I edit the positions of the Camera and/or the Lights??? I can only see them in Layout mode, which is fine, but there are no Gizmos to grab and move the Camera and/or the Lights, and there's nothing in the Properties panel where I can edit the Type of light I want, and how dense I want the lighting (soft or full force), or any thing else related to the individual Lights!!!

WHERE DID THEY HIDE THIS??? I knew I wasn't going to be happy with the new UI, and now I've hit a major block I can't seem to get past.

Edited to Add: OK, I finally found how to get the Gizmo for moving the Lights and Camera. I didn't have the Move button on the left Toolbar selected. OK, but I'm still not seeing anything in the Properties panel relating to the Lights, so I still would like some help with that issue.

Thanks in advance.

Butterfly Dezignz

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 4:09 PM
Site Admin

To change light

changing light.PNG

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 5:55 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The problem I was having, was I selected the light, but when I checked the icons down the side of the Parameters panel, that light icon wasn't there. NOW I'm seeing it!!

Not sure why I didn't see it before, because even though it looks different than the 2.79 UI, it's basically the same access, except it's vertical down the side of the Parameters Panel, rather than horizontal across the top of the Parameters panel.

Thanks again! Now I can continue taking notes and such. I'm about 1/2 way through that first tutorial, which basically deals with the UI, though version 2.8x, but it's not really any different than 2.9x, so definitely helpful.

Butterfly Dezignz

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 6:47 PM
Site Admin

I think those icons randomly disappear and come back There are times I don't see them either.

Good luck with the tutorial

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 7:27 PM

Hi Miss B, Glad to see you are enjoying (is that the right word?) the tutorial. I hope you're enjoying it by the end.

Hi Red Phantom, you're better than a help desk! Cheers to you. ๐Ÿ˜„

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 8:20 PM

RedPhantom posted at 8:15PM Mon, 12 July 2021 - #4423053

I think those icons randomly disappear and come back There are times I don't see them either.

Actually I'm not sure it "disappeared", but rather I didn't recognize it as a light bulb, and when I was hovering over each icon to see what they were, all that one said, or the one that was the next to last one in the vertical row said, that it was "Object data" or something similar. It didn't say what object it was referring to, so I didn't click on it.

Now I feel liking I'm getting somewhere, though some items are referred to by different names, such as the "power" of the light refers to Watts, but 2.79 didn't state it that way, or at least I don't recall it doing so.

Getting used to where everything is, and how they work, is going to take a while, but I'll get there eventually.

Butterfly Dezignz

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 8:24 PM ยท edited Mon, 12 July 2021 at 8:25 PM

Torquinox posted at 8:21PM Mon, 12 July 2021 - #4423056

Hi Miss B, Glad to see you are enjoying (is that the right word?) the tutorial. I hope you're enjoying it by the end.

Lets put it this way, they're discussing just about everything, so it's definitely educational, which is what I need at this point. I have found a few things not yet mentioned, simply by looking and clicking on things, so as long as I make notes (which I've done with every piece of 3D software I've ever owned) I won't go crazy finding it again if it's something I don't get to use that often. It'll be in my notes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butterfly Dezignz

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 12 July 2021 at 10:00 PM

That sounds great, Miss B! ๐Ÿ˜

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 13 July 2021 at 10:41 AM ยท edited Tue, 13 July 2021 at 10:42 AM

Miss B posted at 10:36AM Tue, 13 July 2021 - #4423057

RedPhantom posted at 8:15PM Mon, 12 July 2021 - #4423053

Actually I'm not sure it "disappeared", but rather I didn't recognize it as a light bulb, and when I was hovering over each icon to see what they were, all that one said, or the one that was the next to last one in the vertical row said, that it was "Object data" or something similar. It didn't say what object it was referring to, so I didn't click on it.

OK, RedPhantom, I think I now know why I didn't see that light bulb icon at first. Those icons don't "disappear", what happens is, they "change" depending on what you have selected. I discovered that last night when I had the mesh/object selected, instead of one of the lights. Instead of the light bulb, I saw an upside down triangle type icon, which is the icon I see when I select the model/cube I was playing with. So that's why I didn't see what I was looking for. I hadn't correctly selected the light I wanted, so it was still selecting the cube, and that's what data was showing in the Parameters panel. ~makes another note~

Butterfly Dezignz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.