Sun, May 19, 6:37 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 19 2:41 am)

Subject: Vue 8 test renders

chippwalters ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 7:58 PM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 8:09 PM

Recently I've been playing around with the Vue 8 beta, and I have to say I'm impressed! Lot's of neat new features including the new Strata filters, displacement map overhangs and super God Rays. There seems to be a certain crispness I haven't seen before for the landscape fractals-- sorta reminds me of Terragen renders. Here are a few of the test images. If you're on the fence about upgrading, maybe these will help you with the decision. ;-)

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 8:43 PM · edited Tue, 20 October 2009 at 8:45 PM

Wow, simply amazing.  Nice work!  Reminds me of Terragen but better.

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 1:11 AM

Stunning work Chipp.  These belong in the GodRays hall of fame.  That second one is really awesome

slonishko ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 2:29 AM

I am most curious about these "strata filters"

are they in the function editor ?

could we ( ME :D ) ask for a step by step ?

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 2:43 AM

Okay. Now I want Vue 8...
Does it take lightyears to render, those now attractions?

joncarlile ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 3:44 AM

Hi,

images look great. Any chance you can give render times and your processor specs?

Great work.

Jon

bruno021 ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 3:45 AM

No, they don't take more time to render than before, displacement is even faster, and cleaner. The strata filter is indeed in the function editor, it's a filter like any filter you basically place between the fractal input and the altitude output. But there are other ways to use it of course.
Chipp, those godrays are wonderful, and you didn't say that you don't even need clouds anymore to get them, like your 3rd example shows, you can get crisp godrays through tree branches.

Daniel1705 ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 4:05 AM · edited Wed, 21 October 2009 at 4:05 AM

Very very nice renders. The new godrays look spectacular. I am currently busy rendering a scene with lots of godrays shining through multiple cloud layers. I have arrived at a quality boost of +8 and there is still a lot of noise in the render, not to mention that the sky tages ages to finish now. Maybe I'll postpone the rendering of this scene until Vue 8 finally arrives.

Chipp, you also said that displaced overhangs are now possible. Could you supply an example? Rather than painting the caves and the overhangs I'd like to create them in a procedural way, similar to Terragen 2.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Astounding work!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:48 AM

I'm dribbling....but my mind was already made up anyway   :thumbupboth:

On the strata filter thing - can it do diagonal stratas?  That's more what I'm used to seeing in open rockfaces

Gill

Daniel1705 ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:56 AM

Gill, although I don't own Vue 8 yet I think that should probably work with a "Rotation and Twist" node or a turbulence node.

Just a guess :-)

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 8:57 AM

those are absolutely stunning! not sure whether its chipp or vue 8 but whatever! its great!

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 9:21 AM

Quote - Wow, simply amazing.  Nice work!  Reminds me of Terragen but better.

And somewhere, a snowflake in Hell, didn't melt!! ;)
Honeslty glad to see you happy, not mocking ya :)

I really do need ot learn terrain work, sigh.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 10:04 AM · edited Wed, 21 October 2009 at 10:05 AM

Quote - images look great. Any chance you can give render times and your processor specs?

I don't remember exactly, but I created all scenes and renders in a single evening. I'm using a fairly standard off the shelf at Best Buy Intel Quad-Core: 6Gb memory desktop.

Vue 8 seems to render a tad bit faster for me than 7. As Bruno mentioned, none of the atmospheres had clouds in them-- so the renders were pretty quick. 

To get rid of noise in Godrays, I used an old trick of Dave Burdick's: up the anti-aliasing to something like 95% quality and it really helps. I believe some of the scenes above will come with Vue 8, so you will be able to study them directly if you purchase an upgrade.

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 1:37 PM

I really hope they release Vue 8 soon.  Otherwise, can someone distract Chipp while I "Borrow" his ? :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 2:21 PM

The renders look great Chipp! 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 4:03 PM

Excellent work, Chipp....!

With the new update I'm trying out the cows...... Threw animated godrays over an infinite procedural terrain. -Definitely- not optimized (plus it's only one cow; the one on the CG box. I do finally have the rack finished, but I still need to run the cat 5 from my office to the downstairs closet it will be occupying. But the old rig is almost out of my office, halleujah!), as I started the 15 sec render and started typing this, and its not even finished with frame 0 (of course I just set it for default finish, which is death incarnate for speed anyway.....but at least it is rendering faster than 7 on the same machine with the same settings does). 

Hmm. Okay, according to hypervue, average frame time is 9:02 minutes, which actually isn't that bad, considering the light calculations being made. Now we wait and see how the sequence comes out......

Osper ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:18 PM

wOW!!!!!  Those are stunning!!!!!!

Cherryman ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:35 PM

Quote - ....

I don't remember exactly, but I created all scenes and renders in a single evening. .

,,.. Wow !

theSea ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 12:03 PM

Quote - I am most curious about these "strata filters"

are they in the function editor ?

could we ( ME :D ) ask for a step by step ?

It's in the function editor under Filters... Recursive...  There's a "Strata" node and a "Confined Strata" node, the latter adds upper and lower limits on the effect.

On the two images linked, I added it between the terrain fractal and the altitude output.  'Layers' features a very high "Rock Layer Hardness" while 'Peaks' usues a very low "Rock Layer Hardness" value.  Otherwise, mostly playing with the dials in those...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1962255&user_id=427128&np&np

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1964843

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 1:09 PM

Wonderful images and a very nice explanation of what the Strata functions are.

MyCat ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 10:13 PM

Quote - those are absolutely stunning! not sure whether its chipp or vue 8 but whatever! its great!

I think it's a combination. Super tool and super artisan.

I have the pre-release of Vue 8 too and so far it seems more stable than the production 7.5. I have high hopes for this one.

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 23 October 2009 at 12:02 AM

Absolutely breath taking images.

eonite ( ) posted Fri, 23 October 2009 at 6:17 AM
musi ( ) posted Sun, 25 October 2009 at 6:12 PM · edited Sun, 25 October 2009 at 6:13 PM

Beautiful! Is there the PDF or anything that lists what the system requirements will be (Mac, PC)? Does it seem to need more horsepower than 7? Thanks.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 25 October 2009 at 6:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the requirements are the same as for 7.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.