Sat, May 18, 11:12 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 18 5:59 pm)

Subject: Artistic "Lens"

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:10 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:11 PM

Quote - > Quote -

i mean, most people like a figure against a sunset to be fully and brightly lit from the front.  totally breaks realism for me, but i've been told several times that it's better that way.  same way i've been told burned in highlights in hair are better. 

i

and then i am wondering why they dont make a good update of poser.
the best ratings in the gallery are from renders where they dont even use shadows. flat shader on skin without specular.

and then i ask them for area lights and so on. they must be laughing at me.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:10 PM

OK I built a new VSS shader using sRGB as the final correction.

I'll show you several renders. In each, there are three figures.

Figure #1 is linear, no GC in, no GC out
Figure #2 is GC 2.2 in and out
Figure #3 is GC 2.2 in, but sRGB out

I should probably do a fourth with sRGB in and out, but I'm hungry and want to eat. :)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:12 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:15 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_426013.jpg

Here is a single infinite at 50%.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:12 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:15 PM

file_426014.jpg

Single infinite at 15%

file_426015.jpg

Single infinite at 5%

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:13 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:15 PM

file_426016.jpg

Single infinite at 2%. Big difference now.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:17 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:19 PM

file_426017.jpg

oh!  and one last thing: the point isn't just that one might want that level of lighting overall.  it's that you might want that level of lighting _anywhere_ in your image.  remember the person saying their work looked "flat" after applying GC?  well, imho, the 3rd row looks much less flat.  this is one of the images you posted to prove your point about the realism of GC.  at the time, i thought how much less interesting and flatter the GC version looked.  you might show the difference with your new calculation.  maybe i'm wrong, and it won't be better, but i think it will be.

edited for cross post:  i see a significant difference by 15%.  and by significant i mean, if i were going for column 3, i'd spend days trying to get there from column 2.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:18 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:18 PM

file_426018.jpg

Last one. Infinite at 1%.

Now I leave work and make FOOD!

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:21 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:24 PM

i know i said one last thing, but another point.  you keep working with infinites.  but studio and indoor lighting, which i think is pretty reasonable to emulate, is all spots and areas.   which makes this issue much more relevant, because the shadowed areas are way too bright.  i know this sounds lewd, but look at the shadows on the one at 15%, especially under her right butt cheek.  huge difference, imho.  even at 50%, i'd much rather have the 3rd.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:24 PM

file_426019.jpg

Yes, CD, I agree. I'm using infinite so that we don't have variation do to parallax, that's all. Otherwise, you can't compare the figures or props.

Anyway, I prepared a graph showing all the issues. Click for full size and read the notes.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:28 PM

Attached Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB

Wikipedia article on the sRGB standard. For the math-heads.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:29 PM

Key paragraph: (emphasis added by me)

Quote - Unlike most other RGB color spaces, the sRGB gamma can not be expressed as a single numerical value. The overall gamma is approximately 2.2, consisting of a linear (gamma 1.0) section near black, and a non-linear section elsewhere involving a 2.4 exponent and a gamma (slope of log output versus log input) changing from 1.0 through about 2.3.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:36 PM · edited Thu, 12 March 2009 at 5:40 PM

edited because i didn't understand. sorry!  yeah, i can see why to test with infinites, i'm just saying you'd see a more significant change with images that duplicated, say, dramatic stage or studio lighting.

and just to say, to find your old test image, i went through the first few pages of VSS.  at least two people in the first few pages posted images that would be strongly affected by this issue.  and you posted about 2 or 3 others.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 6:09 PM

woot!  i'm really loving your low-light results.  they're just what i've always wanted.  is it me, or is there a big saturation difference, too?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 6:22 PM

I noticed the saturation too, even in the 50% lighting. Somehow the SSS is working better, richer color and more contrast. I'm not sure why.

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 6:49 PM

Bagginsbill, you're a maniac!
In a good way :thumbupboth:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 7:04 PM

Heheh. So Stephan, will sRGB conversion be added to Poser 8? Hehehe. 

Casette ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2009 at 2:58 AM

BB, you're my god. There is a matmatic script to ease all this mess?

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2009 at 10:05 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if there should happen to be a "make my scene sRGB" script at some time in the future, then my money would more or less leap out of my wallet of its own accord. ;)

And thanks for making me look up sRGB. In my line of work, I ought to know this stuff. Maybe it's time to retire. Then I can spend more time playing with Poser. I just have to break it to Mrs. Bob that we have to live in poverty for the rest of our lives, or until the kids can support us, whichever is first. :)

Lastly, my compliments to this thread's participants for their dedication to scientific reasoning above personal axe-grinding. That happens all too seldom in this (or any other) forum.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2009 at 4:27 PM · edited Tue, 17 March 2009 at 4:28 PM

Quote - BB, you're my god. There is a matmatic script to ease all this mess?

You could use these functions instead of the GC functions.

def IF(test, tv, fv):
    return Blend(fv, tv, test)

def SRGB(x):
    return IF(x <= .0031308, 12.92 * x, 1.055 * (x ** (1/2.4)) - .055) def ASRGB(x):
    return IF(x <= .04045, x / 12.92, ((x + .055) / 1.055) ** 2.4)

The SRGB function will convert a linear value to SRGB. It works with colors or grayscale.

The ASRGB is the anti-SRGB conversion - to convert an SRGB value to linear.

Example use:

colorMap = ImageMap("whatever.jpg").labelled("Color Map")
color = ASRGB(colorMap)
linearShader = Diffuse(color, .8) + Specular(WHITE, .1, .2)
srgbOutput = SRGB(linearShader)
s = Surface(colorMap, 0, 1, 0)
s.Alternate_Diffuse = srgbOutput

Casette ( ) posted Tue, 17 March 2009 at 4:45 PM

Uh... how I apply this? :blink:

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 1:42 AM

pardon, but i'm wondering how one might put an sRGB filter on the Artisitic Lens?  and is that OK to use, or is it better to add it to each material and therefore deal with anti-correcting the map?  does it make a difference?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 1:35 PM

file_428124.txt

FWIW, I made an sRGB filter material for the lens - attached. Save as sRGB.mt5 in your materials folder and apply it to your lens. I included in it an HSV node set to boost saturation by 1.5 times to compensate for incoming material that isn't linear.

The script I posted above is wrong. I forgot that the Blending value on a Blender node is single-channel. We need to have a blending factor that is done once per channel, not for the whole RGB triple. So I built the filter with more math nodes because I can't use one blender to choose between the two ranges for all 3 channels.

As to whether it is OK to use, that's questionable. The difference between GC(2.2) and sRGB is very small, and only applies to very dark things. If you don't anti-GC your incoming material, you're getting a much larger deviation from reality - more than is compensated for by choosing sRGB versus GC. If you're looking for that kind of precision in the color space, you really should be working with anti-gamma incoming material. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with the sRGB filter. If, for artistic reasons, you're finding your darks are too light with GC(2.2), try GC(1.6) or some other similarly lower value.

I wish Poser had implemented the GC as shader nodes - something we could configure as a whole. Then I could drop in the sRGB filter as a built-in pre-processing and post-processing step automatically for all materials. That's how I would have done it. Then it would be possible to configure the renderer to produce any color space, such as the Adobe color space, and we wouldn't have to muck about with shader nodes. Even better would be if it were possible to set up, using nodes, various pre and post processing filters and then select them for each material or image map. Or insert a node that calls upon these as subroutines. Then you could mess with them in one place.

Hmmm. I have so many interesting ideas for nifty plug-ins. if only the renderer had a more modular plug-in architecture for image pre-processing, materials, lights, and post-filters, as well as user-defined nodes. Sigh.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 1:36 PM

file_428125.jpg

Comparison for reference. This is rendered with a GC(2.2) lens, including 1.5x saturation.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 1:37 PM

file_428126.jpg

And here is rendered with the sRGB lens, including 1.5x saturation.

The only place you'll find a difference is on the dark gray prop, and a few places on the lower and left edges of his shorts.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 2:33 PM · edited Tue, 07 April 2009 at 2:35 PM

thing is, i noticed what i considered pretty big differences in all your previous renders.  including the one with the light at 50%.  for me, it's the difference between all the pretty (imho) unrealistic mid-tone renders people have been doing with VSS PR3 and reality.  is it  better to implement it in a material?  because, imho, it's killing my work in anything but really, really bright light.  the difference between my white or bright room renders and anything shadowed is... well... night and day in terms of realism.

it's not just dark materials, or a dark scene.  it's mid to low toned shadows.  it's why that person said implementing VSS made their work flat.  to my eyes, all your previous tests showed a very significant difference in just about anything with meaningful shadows (on a self-shading object, i think).

enough so that i'd rather work an sRGB shift into my materials than GC, if i can figure it out.  i'm pretty sure that it's what had me fighting even after 6 iterations of IBL creation and using only GC materials.   i'll take the time up front over several days chasing my tail, so to speak.

i've been focused on modeling for a while, and not rendering (so definitely not materials and light).  i was hoping to be able to deal with a new version of Poser, VSS PR3, Matmatic and a new workflow all at once.  it seems like that might not work out.  then again, i'm still learning so much in Blender.  i'm (sort of) applying Adorana's technique for making clothes, and adding some of my own findings.  Blender is awesome, but it isn't Clothilde.   

so probably the best thing is to test PR3, my adjustment of PR3, and then a scene with sRGB materials on my last render.  would i be able to ask you questions about using VSS, PR3, or the sRGB component?  i know the information is all out there, but i'm pretty sure i'll hit snags.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 2:47 PM

Would you like a VSS sRGB skin shader? I could set publish one pretty easily.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 5:07 PM

well, definitely yes!  but since i'd also need to shift the materials of everything else, i'd still need to learn how to incorporate it into other materials (i say admonishingly to myself).  i'm very sure the hair shader i've been messing with for ages would be better in sRGB, since the most important aspect of shiny hair is the contrast between its light and dark portions.  usually, when people say hair doesn't have bright enough shine, what actually needs to happen is the dark areas get dark enough.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 5:45 PM

file_428137.jpg

Did you say hair shader? Heheh.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 5:52 PM · edited Tue, 07 April 2009 at 5:52 PM

actually, that looks like has exactly the issue i was talking about, but maybe more so.  though it still looks phenomenal to me.  i can certainly say that when i post images with hair shinier than that, all i get is feedback that painted highlights would be more realistic (eww) because it's not shiny enough.  sometimes there's no accounting for taste.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Tue, 07 April 2009 at 10:56 PM

Quote - Would you like a VSS sRGB skin shader? I could set publish one pretty easily.

please!

oh and I'm quite sure someone said they needed the hair shader.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 08 April 2009 at 5:58 PM

I think we will be held in suspense for the hair shader.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Tue, 21 April 2009 at 3:41 AM

Quote - I think we will be held in suspense for the hair shader.

I think too !

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

carodan ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 7:03 PM

file_430854.jpg

Thanks for directing me here bb. It's been really useful.

For anyone interested, I've only recently been properly catching up on a lot of bb's excellent shader work. I was playing with the VSS PR3 skin shader in single light (non IBL) setups and noticing what seemed to me like quite harsh "transitions at the terminator" (terminology I'm just learning) - basically where the light transitions into dark on a model (see above image to get an idea what I mean).

The sRGB VSS skin shader would be very cool if it goes some way to solving this.

Now I have to read this thread from the beginning to see what this artistic lens is all about.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

mikachan ( ) posted Sun, 31 May 2009 at 4:48 PM

bagginsbill, could you post the setup that you used to get that first render? The newspaper comic-y one?

I can't seem to duplicate that one.

Thank you so much!

ima70 ( ) posted Sun, 31 May 2009 at 5:01 PM

Quote - bagginsbill, could you post the setup that you used to get that first render? The newspaper comic-y one?

I can't seem to duplicate that one.

Thank you so much!

BB posted the setup for me some time ago, look the post #8 in the page #5

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

mikachan ( ) posted Sun, 31 May 2009 at 5:06 PM

oh! thankyou!

Nosiferret ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 12:38 AM

Book Marked!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 02 December 2009 at 6:56 PM · edited Wed, 02 December 2009 at 6:57 PM

Quote - The script I posted above is wrong. I forgot that the Blending value on a Blender node is single-channel. We need to have a blending factor that is done once per channel, not for the whole RGB triple. So I built the filter with more math nodes because I can't use one blender to choose between the two ranges for all 3 channels.

You wouldn't happen to have the asRGB/sRGB script lying around handy anywhere, Bill? I mean, the revised one... the one you wrote for the artistic lens. I'd be really keen to see it.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, and have been using the above script (which you said was wrong) in my renders as an alternative to GC, just to see. Might just be me, but I kinda like the results better.

So, how would you separate out the colour channel? Component?

BTW, finally converting my skin shader to mix.mm1. There were some massive holes in my understanding of classes and that sort of thing which cobaltdream quite laboriously (well, I'm thick so it took a bit of doing!) helped me with, so I'll be bugging you soon with more questions about that... :laugh:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 12:24 AM

wow, i'm dim.  this is why i had that complicated IF function. you need to do it with Color_Math not Blender.  ok, looking for it in thre forums.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 1:13 AM · edited Thu, 03 December 2009 at 1:23 AM

just to say, i'm trying just the simple Python if condition: .... else: .....  is that OK?

edited to add:

oops, it's definitely not.  because when i do it that way, it automatically uses color math.  which seems to mean (glancing through the nodes of the resultant material), that certain over 1 nodes don't get made.  gotta figure this out before going further with my experiments.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 4:01 AM

ok, just a note to say i've forced numbers using Add nodes, but the if structure just didn't translate.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2009 at 4:46 AM · edited Thu, 03 December 2009 at 4:54 AM

well, i seem to have something that might work

def asRGB(x):
    ifMask = Color_Step(x, 12.92 * 0.0031308)
    xFalse = 1 - ifMask) * x
    xTrue = ifMask* x
    return xFalse / Add(12.92, 0) + ((xTrue + .055) / Add(1.055, 0)) ** Add(2.4, 0)

def sRGB(x):
    ifMask = Color_Step (x, 0.0031308)
    xFalse = (1 - ifMask) * x
    xTrue = ifMask* x     
    return Add(12.92, 0) * xFalse + (Add(1.055, 0) * (xTrue ** (1/2.4))) - .055

edited to reverse the mask because i'm really not swift at this and easily turned around

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 8:49 PM

file_467420.JPG

I have just discovered this fantastic thread. I started playing with BB's most basic shader, it made a difference but left M4 looking "demon possessed".

mathman ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 8:49 PM · edited Sat, 02 April 2011 at 8:50 PM

file_467422.jpg

...here are my shader settings.

onnetz ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 9:44 PM

Really cool idea. BB I'd like to see what you could come up with in FilterForge.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:10 PM

Mathman, why are you using blue tinting in Alt_Diffuse?  Is this for the skin?

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote - I have just discovered this fantastic thread. I started playing with BB's most basic shader, it made a difference but left M4 looking "demon possessed".

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem here ? .... rather can call in an exorcist, that is !

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:21 PM

Did you see my post above?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:38 PM

Does the eye cover involve a refract node? If so, do you have enough raytrace bounces (2+) to get through the lens and the eye cover?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.