Fri, May 17, 2:46 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 11:59 pm)

Subject: Artistic "Lens"

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:46 PM

Quote - Mathman, why are you using blue tinting in Alt_Diffuse?  Is this for the skin?

Good question. Short answer is, I don't know. In any event, I have now fixed it, but the problem persists.

Quote - Does the eye cover involve a refract node? If so, do you have enough raytrace bounces (2+) to get through the lens and the eye cover?

BB, what do you mean by the eye cover ? ... I tried rendering with more raytrace bounces, but once again the problem persisted.

millighost ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 12:56 PM

Perhaps it is the units; 0.85 for the ray bias (in the refract node) is very high, if you use poser units.

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 1:28 PM

millighost, 0.85 was the value in BB's example.

You are right, though. I incrementally decreased the magnitude of the RayBias, until I started seeing a result at about 0.03.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 3:04 PM · edited Sun, 03 April 2011 at 3:05 PM

math, dbl-chk to make sure all the eye surface settings are o.k., e.g. none of them have refl_lite_mult, and change the lites to ray-traced. poser sometimes has a problem with transparency and IDL, but in yer img there's no IDL AFAICT.

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 4:43 PM

Nancy, you are right. There is no IDL.

I'm not sure what you mean by refl_lite_mult, though. The eye components each have a specular value of 0.5 and a highlight of 0.05, if that is what you mean.

onnetz ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 8:55 PM

file_467473.jpg

You want this unchecked.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 2:46 AM

Oh yes of course, thanks :)

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:16 AM

file_467477.JPG

None of the eye components have this checkbox ticked. M4 is still demon-possessed. Get out the crucifix and holy water....

Spanki ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 2:53 PM

Quote - Would you like a VSS sRGB skin shader? I could set publish one pretty easily.

Hey BB,

Did you ever publish the sRGB version of your VSS skin shader?  and/or your Hair Shader?

It doesn't look like you updated the files/links on the VS homepage. Would love to get those when you get a chance - thanks.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:15 PM

file_467492.JPG

Any takers on this, please ?

How can I fix the awful black pooling in M4's eyes ? (...see earlier entry for my shader setup for the "lens").

millighost ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:34 PM

What is your setting of the ray bias? If using poser units, where bagginsbill uses inches, you have to divide by approx. 100, ie. 0.85 -> 0.008.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:50 PM · edited Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:52 PM

The lens is not doing the eye problem. I posted what my guess was - refraction on the eye cover and not enough bounces.

If you want more than a guess, show me eye material settings, particularly the cornea. Because of the viewing angle and the size of the image, I can't really make out well if the eye white is messed up or just the iris, or just whatever is under the cornea, or is it involving the whole eye cover. (There are multiple eye parts that can be set up for refraction or transparency, and possibly incorrectly.) 

Then I may have other questions.

Also, how does it look without using the lens?

Also, how does it look with shadows disabled in render settings?

I may have other questions later about render settings, but first we need to figure out which ones matter. That means knowing what the shaders are doing.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hi millighost, I am using PNU. I am also using very low values for the ray bias. Still no luck.

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 5:04 PM

file_467495.jpg

BB ... here are the material settings for the cornea ....

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 5:05 PM

file_467496.jpg

... and here are my render settings,

thanks
Andrew

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 6:05 PM

Mathman,

Not to state the obvious but if you are frustrated with all the eye surfaces, why not make the eyecover invisible? Then add your speculars to sclera and cornea.

Or, set transparency to say 88% on eyecover. You can still get refract effects, etc.

It may not be the current way of doing it but you can progress and pick up on other tech as you go. I put a reduced size anistropic right on the cornea and increase reflect to 2.00 sometimes.

I'd turn IDL on first. Render it small so it's fast...

nor sure you need bump or imagemap on cornea.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 6:44 PM

he can't turn on IDL yet.  but I still dunno why he's using depth-map lites.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 11:02 PM

p.s. it almost looks like he got both the sclera and cornea transparent and/or refractive.  maybe that's why it's dark.  they're both covering an unilluminated space.

onnetz ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:18 AM

Probably wont help with the eyes but try these render settings.

bounces: 3

cache: 85

samples: 5

shading: .20

bucket: 16

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:40 AM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:44 AM

Nancy, the base v4 texture has that as well and doesn't give these problems under my normal settings but...

Mathman, try turning your raybias on the lens down to .085 and see what happens.  I seem to be getting the problem on my base viki with the raybias over .3 (really noticable at 3.5, not so much at 3.2).  I'm guessing that's what's happening to you too.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:52 AM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:54 AM

file_467516.jpg

After further testing, something's funky with the raybias setting on the lens.

Here's the basic version of the lens, basic viki has VSS shaders applied.  RB = .4

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:55 AM

file_467517.jpg

Same thing RB = .1

WARK!

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:59 AM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 1:04 AM

I tried it again with the stock viki and I seem to get the same problem.

BTW, check out the earlier part of this thread.  Realmling was having a similar problem.  Now I'm wondering if he had his raybais too high as well.

WARK!

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 4:05 AM

Quote - Mathman,

Not to state the obvious but if you are frustrated with all the eye surfaces, why not make the eyecover invisible? Then add your speculars to sclera and cornea.

Or, set transparency to say 88% on eyecover. You can still get refract effects, etc.

It may not be the current way of doing it but you can progress and pick up on other tech as you go. I put a reduced size anistropic right on the cornea and increase reflect to 2.00 sometimes.

I'd turn IDL on first. Render it small so it's fast...

nor sure you need bump or imagemap on cornea.

The eye surface is already invisible.

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 4:08 AM

Quote - Nancy, the base v4 texture has that as well and doesn't give these problems under my normal settings but...

Mathman, try turning your raybias on the lens down to .085 and see what happens.  I seem to be getting the problem on my base viki with the raybias over .3 (really noticable at 3.5, not so much at 3.2).  I'm guessing that's what's happening to you too.

I already have RB set at 0.03. Doesn't make a scrap of difference.

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 5:21 AM

Ifeyecover is truely invisible then make cornea invisible also for now until this is solved. It's not a proper node setup for cornea anyway. It has sclera and pupil on its colormap..

Save the map with two cornea spots to material library first (or copy/paste)so you can get it back..

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:50 AM

Quote - Ifeyecover is truely invisible then make cornea invisible also for now until this is solved. It's not a proper node setup for cornea anyway. It has sclera and pupil on its colormap..

Save the map with two cornea spots to material library first (or copy/paste)so you can get it back..

If by invisible, you mean set the transparency to 1, it already is that way for the cornea (and also for the eye surface).

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:59 AM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 7:12 AM

file_467520.jpg

No. I mean to make nodes invisible as in "does not exist". I think if eyecover is made "non existent", the black will go.

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 7:15 AM

file_467521.jpg

Here's something simple but effective for cornea using your cornea mask.

mathman ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 11:13 AM

I believe I have stumbled upon the solution. Originally, the RB attribute of the Refract node was 0.03. Very small, but I reduced it by a power of 10 (to 0.003). The problem went away.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:18 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:22 PM

math, maybe it means if yer using PNU (approx 8.2 - 8.6 ft, dep. on poser vers.), ya gotta lower raybias proportionately.  ISTR one of 'em mentioned that above.  the manual doesn't specifically say that raybias is function of user's units pref, but what if ya changed yer units to inches or feet or metric unit? if changed to inches, maybe raybias could be 100X larger.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 12:34 PM

I told you it needed to be reduced... I even posted an example.  It's not my fault your unit prefs were differrent than mine.  :p

WARK!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 1:26 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 1:26 PM

I was going to write the same - but got busy today. When somebody says "My ___ is set to .03" they are saying nothing.

.03 WHAT? Feet? Miles? Millimeters?

I'm still mystified why this matters - ray bias isn't supposed to apply to transparency, and certainly not to objects other than where it is set. In this case, you guys are showing me that the refract ray bias on the lens is altering how light works on the eyes. That is news to me.

In any case, so be it. Observe my signature. MY DISPLAY UNITS ARE INCHES.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 3:25 PM

I'm using feet, (so that'd be between 3.0-4.0 if you're using inches) and I think I just figured out another part of the problem.

I'm using 8 bounces with the lens.  I turn off transparency on the EyeSurface mat of viki and the problem goes away.  I tried turning my render setting up to 12 bounces (the max in 7 which I'm using ATM) and the problem is still there.

WARK!

deastham ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2011 at 6:15 AM

Not to take this thread in a completely different (but still relevant) direction, but I'm stumped. Is there a way to make the artistic lens also affect the background image or movie? I tried copying the background shading network and setting it as the background input on the refract node, but it still just renders over black.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 05 June 2011 at 7:34 AM

No there isn't. The "background" is "written" onto your image as a separate step, before rendering. Then the render is layered on top, as a 2D image manipulation, much like layers in Photoshop. The background is not part of the 3D scene and is in no way visible to the lens.

However, that doesn't mean you can't have an image or movie in your scene, behind your subject. Place a one-sided square, suitably positioned and scaled behind your subject(s). Then place whatever imagery you want on that object in the material room. For self-lit backgrounds, connect the image or movie to Alternate_Diffuse or to Ambient. If using Ambient, set Ambient_Value = 1. In either case set Diffuse_Value = 0 and Specular_Value = 0, so that no part of its appearance is influenced by lighting.

deastham ( ) posted Mon, 06 June 2011 at 1:12 AM

Thanks Bill! :D That worked.  Eventually I figured out that I could also just copy and use the artistic lens square's shader network, replacing the Refract node with the background image/movie, on the background shader.

Is there a way to get truly random, grain-sized noise? I'm attempting an in-Poser film grain effect (part of an artistic challenge I set for myself).

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 06 June 2011 at 9:59 AM

This is OT, but generally speaking, computers have a very difficult time of doing truely random anything.  In programming you usually cheat by setting the seed which generates the results to date/time.

WARK!

deastham ( ) posted Mon, 06 June 2011 at 10:29 AM

Yep.. but strangely you can't set the seed in most Poser shaders. I figured out that with an X and Y scale of 128, the noise generated by Poser is exactly 1 pixel each grain. Anything bigger than that and you get rectangular splotches (which looks cool, and would be useful for digital compression errors). Also, if you set the ZScale to .001 * frame_number, that makes the grain change for each frame, giving a passable film grain (Assuming your noise min and max are within reason).

Render100 ( ) posted Mon, 06 June 2011 at 3:35 PM

A very clever use of object properties. +1 internet

3doutlaw ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2012 at 8:38 AM

There are some cool uses of this lens on here!  Nice work BB, for the idea.  Would there be an option to use a lens like this for a less or more exaggerated "depth map" type of render?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2012 at 10:28 AM · edited Tue, 17 April 2012 at 10:29 AM

I am on the road and don't have Poser with me to verify, but I'm pretty sure the lens obstructs Posers notion of "depth". Depth does not transcend refraction - the depth registered would always be of the lens itself, rather than what you're seeing through the lens.

Now if there was a Refract_Depth node, a node that returns the depth of what is encountered by refraction rays, then it would be possible. In fact, other important effects would be possible in general. For example, many attenuated refraction effects, such as obsidian, could be done if we had a Refract_Depth node.

When light passes through an attenuating medium (such as colored glass), the amount of coloring varies with how much volume was traversed. The formula is simple, but the information needed to pass to the formula is just not available in the current material nodes.

3doutlaw ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quote - Depth does not transcend refraction - the depth registered would always be of the lens itself, rather than what you're seeing through the lens.

Ah, good point.  Thanks for the reply.

Maybe another way would be a camera with a lens capturing a greyscale image, combined with a large panel light that had a falloff, which based on the brightness of what it hit, could simulate the depth of the object in the image...?  Perhaps then varying the falloff and intensity you could modify/exaggerate the depth.  Of course it would have to be like a clay-like render, to ignore the maps.

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2012 at 6:06 PM

Is Tilt/Shift effect possible using this method?

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quote -
At this point you can render and your original scene should appear unchanged. You have a neutral lens. Save this in your library for future use as a starter.

It works, but it loses the background color.  Is there any way around that?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2013 at 9:02 PM · edited Mon, 24 June 2013 at 9:03 PM

Nope

You can stop using background - use a one-sided square instead.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.