Thu, May 16, 10:26 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 1:08 pm)

Subject: Interesting observation about Poser6,Firefly, and obj Materials in re: Renderin

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 4:06 AM

Eternl_Knight I think you mentioned a python script earlier in this thread ? Any update on that ?

Eternal Hobbyist

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 4:12 AM

Arcadia, Try running it through and check group instead, and save Then reload and saving checking material.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 4:12 AM

Arcadia, Try running it through and check group instead, and save Then reload and saving checking material.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 5:49 AM · edited Mon, 18 July 2005 at 5:58 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_226406.jpg

Anton, I tried what you suggested. I'm not sure of the rational behind it though because running it through a second time just overwrites the first runthrough.

Anyway, here is what I did this time after I copied the original .obj files back to the geometry runtime and deleted the 4 .mtl files there.

Import Mesh .obj
Export Mesh .obj
Save and let it overwrite the original file by using the same name.
The following boxes had checkmarks next to them:

Export UV Co-ords
Export Faces
Export Group Names
Export materials
Export .mtl files
By Group
File Name Only

I did that for each of the 4 .obj files (top, panties, L shoe, R shoe).

Then I did it again, this time instead of having "By Group" checked, I had a check mark next to "By Material". Again I let it save by the original file name.

The result was 4 .obj files the same size as I listed earlier. Plus 4 .mtl files.

I went into Poser and loaded the figure and applied each of the clothing items from the clothing library. Once again the clothing shows below the pose room window, but the figure is nude.

I've attached a screenshot of my poser window after having applied the clothing. As you can see the top is listed in the drop down window, plus it's showing as "visible" in the properties window, but it's invisible on the figure. According to Poser the clothing is there, because I can even conform them to the figure. I did a draft test render to see and there is no clothing on the rendered image.

Also, see that little black spot below the toes of the the left foot (the right one when looking at the figure on your screen)? That appeared when I applied the shoe for the left foot. But that's all that appeared.

Message edited on: 07/18/2005 05:58

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 2:41 PM

I 'm not sure why you are expoorting mtls. I would uncheck that one. If you are using P4 or Procka delete the .rsrs in the geomtries folder for these ites. Close Poser and restart. Figures with ERC can cause a anomoly where if you add/delete several times, your scene becomes corrupted and things load invisible. Do all this in a fresh Poser scene. If all else fails, just reinstall the original product.

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2005 at 2:41 PM

I 'm not sure why you are expoorting mtls. I would uncheck that one. If you are using P4 or Procka delete the .rsrs in the geomtries folder for these ites. Close Poser and restart. Figures with ERC can cause a anomoly where if you add/delete several times, your scene becomes corrupted and things load invisible. Do all this in a fresh Poser scene. If all else fails, just reinstall the original product.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 4:28 AM

I didn't find the answer with STOMP, because the clothing became invisible after processing the .obj files through it. However, your advice on adding a hard carriage return to the end of the text in the .obj file reduced my render time by more than 1/3 of what it was.... or is that 2/3'rds? Anyway, I went from almost 3 hours rendering, to 50 minutes, using the same light, hair etc. I will keep STOMP around and try it out on other things, it just might be something with these particular .obj files for some strange reason. Thanks again for your time and patience for helping me off board like you did.

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 4:58 AM

"...it just might be something with these particular .obj files for some strange reason" If I had to guess (and not having the files to look at... I do), it's probably a problem in parsing the 'group' records in the file. If you have the original file up in a text editor, search on "g " (a 'g' followed by a space). Each of those starts/defines a named 'group' of facets. Some applications write out group records in a way that STOMP doesn't read correctly. For example... here's a made up, but likely situation: g figure1 head f x x x f x x x g figure1 neck f x x x f x x x g figure1 chest f x x x f x x x ...I think STOMP would combine all of these into the 'figure1' group, so you'd lose the head/neck/chest sub-groupings (it's been a while since I looked, so I'd have to check to make sure). This gets back to something we were discussing above (starting at about post #122).

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2005 at 6:24 AM

The only text editor I have is NotePad, and I don't think you can search in that one. I scanned the long list and the only letters I see in there are: v vt f I don't see anything with the letter g preceding it and though I may have missed it, I didn't see anything indicating specific body areas like head, chest, neck etc.

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2005 at 12:35 AM

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

byAnton ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 11:51 PM

Update: With Sr1 and sr2 this issue has been diminished, but it is still existent in P5 and I haven't tested much yet in sr2. Creators should still run their obj files through Stomp.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 1:50 AM

Stomp doesn't work for me. I've tried it a few times on other clothing items, and the clothing ends up "invisible" but listed in the menu.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 2:55 AM

file_226407.jpg

well that is a new one. This is what your save options should look like. SOunds like you uncheck faces.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 2:57 AM

file_226409.jpg

AS you can see is can vastly reduce fragmented mtl statements.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 5:42 AM

It might reduce mtl files if you can get it to work, but I followed your instructions in Post #144 above and despite having done that, each time I've tried it the clothing is invisible on the figure even though it's not "invisible" in the parameter dials, and shows up in the drop down menu. It's wierd.

byAnton ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 2:49 PM

Stomp doesn't have the ability to do what you described, unless you accidentlt checked the wrong thing If you follow the checkboxes above you shouldn't have any problems. You should try again. btw: what version of Poser are you using

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2005 at 12:56 AM

Another thing affecting size of .OBJ files, is the firmat used to print coordinate numbers: how many decimal places, and whether they are always printed as floating-point even where not necessary.

Spanki ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2005 at 1:04 AM · edited Thu, 17 November 2005 at 1:07 AM

Another thing affecting size of .OBJ files, is the firmat used to print coordinate numbers: how many decimal places...

Yeah, I'd planned to add some options for decimal places in the future.

Acadia,

The only text editor I have is NotePad, and I don't think you can search in that one...

Notepad, Edit menu, "Find..." option. Search for "g " (the letter 'g' + a space, or just the letter 'g', by otself). If you don't find any group records, Poser doesn't know what mesh to display for a particular named group in the .cr2 file, so the figure gets loaded, but without any mesh (invisible). If this is the case before STOMP, then STOMP is not doing it. If this is the case after STOMP, then either you don't have the "Export Group Names" option checked (see image in post #164, above) or, the problem is related to my post #159, above.

I suspect that this only happens with 'some' .obj files... ones that have the issue listed in post #159 above.

Message edited on: 11/17/2005 01:06

Message edited on: 11/17/2005 01:07

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

SkyeWolf ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2005 at 8:50 AM

Just wanted to say thank you once again, You're definately a life saver!

Admin: http://www.artistsagainstcensorship.com
Artist: http://www.skyewolfimages.com

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 3:48 AM

Okay, this sounds interesting and reasonable... I am one of those lucky people who rarely have the render slowdown on Adding Objects (Also running an AMD). My hand up is Shadows and Rendering strand Hair. I would like to ask a question.. what do you use other than Notepad to look at the CR2's? I noticed in Notepad that there is no line-ation (distinct lines with a beginning and end) I have noticed this in several Tutorials or other tips for Editing Poser Files, but mine ar never in that neat of an order when viewed with Notepad.

ratscloset
aka John

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 4:01 AM

Attached Link: http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

If you must use Notepad, then make sure word wrap is off (Format menu). Better, use a dedicated text editor. I use Crimson Editor which is free.

Spanki ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 5:15 AM

Attached Link: http://www.textpad.com

Or, for about $30, TextPad is a very nice editor(shareware, working eval version available).

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, I have Word Wrap off... it seems it just is the files. Not all of them are like this, but most are. I will look at them in Crimson Editor. What makes it this hard is when they tell you to Find something and then delete the whole line... I am never sure where the line ends sometimes, unless they tell what the next line begins with.

ratscloset
aka John

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 9:58 AM

It used to be a problem that Apple Macs, Unix-like operating systems, and Microsoft, used different markers of the end-of-line. As I recall, you could get your problem when you read a Mac-format text file in Windows Notepad.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 10:04 AM

Crimson Editor looks worth checking out. I see that it has syntax highlighting that can be set up for a particular language with a config file. Has anyone done this for the CR2 format? I know there are dedicated Poser editors, but this looks to be more general-purpose.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 1:38 PM

It seems that my problems with that outfit were isolated to that one outfit for some weird reason.  STOMP has become a program that I find absolutely essential to have.

Thanks Spanki  :)

Don ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 6:59 PM

Will this work on a Mac?

Spanki ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 9:06 AM

Quote - Will this work on a Mac?

It's written for PC only.  I don't know if it would run under some sort of PC emulator or not (it uses OpenGL for the model viewer).

BastBlack ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 1:22 PM · edited Thu, 29 March 2007 at 1:37 PM

Quote - Anton, Try it both ways (by group and by material) - see which works best. Mac, I initially wrote the program to generate 'smoothed' normals between disconnected body parts (to keep seams from showing up in other apps). That function is still there, but the features expanded to allow me to fix other problems with .obj files produced by other apps ;). The only caveat is... I wrote this thing back in 2002 and I hadn't looked much at the code since then, so it may be slow in some areas, or may just crash on some files (?). There is a spec for the .obj file format available, but it is apparently open to a lot of interpretation (based on some of the .obj file output I've seen), so my program may choke on some files, from some programs. My Riptide plugin for C4D re-uses a lot of that code, but I did clean it up and bullet-proof it more - which is why I mentioned that it was more robust. As far as whether anything else gets changed... no, nothing of concequence (the comments change, uv-mapper regions are lost (but retained in the plugin version) but the vertex orders are not changed or anything like that). You CAN change some other things using the program, like consolodating UV vertices, flipping (mirroring) the model, etc.

Wow. I just stumbled across this thread, and it's so true! I'm having the worst problems with junked up objs.  I would love to fix them. 

Thanks, Spanki! You Da Man!

bB

anxcon ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:11 PM

would love this but where do i get it?:P can't find a download link :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.