Fri, Jun 14, 3:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 2:43 pm)

Subject: do you think it is too late to have a thread about what we would like in poser 9

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:05 AM

Quote - EXCELLENT!

While you are there, what would be quite useful too is if the recently used runtimes could be in their own menu ie say I am using about 10 different external runtimes in a scene and want to use a pose or something, instead of having to scroll through everything, if could just see recents it would speed up the work flow I think.

Love esther

Yes - I'm working on that and more. If you have 100 or more runtimes, they require content management in and of themselves - adding and removing and remembering favorite/recent runtimes.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 1:41 PM

There's still a couple of things in Pro2010 that need improving - like choosing the default tool and the thin sidebars in the library ...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 1:55 PM · edited Mon, 06 December 2010 at 1:55 PM

I hear you guys on the scrollbar thickness, but I'm not allowed to make them different. I suggest picket lines outside SM offices! LOL

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 2:51 PM

professional toon lines would be great, if they could distribute with poser 9 a shader that does the ambient lines (falloff shader) with influence of lites (directional falloff shader) as separate pass for compositing in APS.  if needed, they can ask olivier or d3d to provide updated version of their toon things.

the deal with new items like this in the past (e.g. hdri, IDL, ray-traced lites, gather, GC, tone-mapping, indirect specular et al.) is that most users will never understand them or use them, no matter how many times they're explained.  if olivier or d3d can put together something, just don't devote too much $$$ to it IMVHO, as poser has already got useable line-generating funcs. why worry if it looks like a poser toon render?  most non-artists will accept that.  they don't know the difference - they just know what they like looking at.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 3:05 PM

Proper automatic toon lining really needs to be a 2D post-processing module with 2D shaders that have knowledge of the projected (2D) shapes, and toon boundaries (based on toon ID). A 2D shader system would be nice. Probably not gonna happen.

I don't know SM's other products - but don't Anime Studio and Manga Studio (?) represent the correct solutions for tooning?

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 3:10 PM

somthing old that i hoped for for years.having an option to hide material groups.

material groups are connected with the OJ mesh right? si it would be great if we could hide material groups and disable them for rendering.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 4:53 PM

Re the tooning debate:-

No manga studio is a different thing, it's just a drawing program mostly with toon panels and other comic effects.  It is  better I think, to toon in rendering and not post processing. C4D does it in post processing and it looks bad.

DAZ studio just has a checkbox to choose cartoon rendering. It's not perfect but it sure is quick and easy, and when overlayed on a normal render in photoshop and then a toon action post added, it looks quite good.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 4:53 PM

As a mac user, I want a 64-bit pose room.  This 2GB per process limit is killing me.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 5:04 PM

You know, I had problems with slow scrolling through dials when there were lots of morph dials, and then I got a 12 core macpro which is 64 bit and I don't know why but the problem has gone.  

I can only image how blindingly good a full 64 bit would be, but even as it is, poser is now useable, whereas it wasn't really before.

Love esther

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 5:59 PM

Quote - Re the tooning debate:-

No manga studio is a different thing, it's just a drawing program mostly with toon panels and other comic effects.  It is  better I think, to toon in rendering and not post processing. C4D does it in post processing and it looks bad.

DAZ studio just has a checkbox to choose cartoon rendering. It's not perfect but it sure is quick and easy, and when overlayed on a normal render in photoshop and then a toon action post added, it looks quite good.

Love esther

You seem to have missed AnimieStudio. When I told you about AS and importing poser figures into it in another thread you posted how Manga studio did not do this and was not what you wanted.

I'm thinking you have not checked out AnimeStudio which is not the same as MangaStudio. Both sold at CP/SM.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:05 PM · edited Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:05 PM

I will check it out.  thanks!!!

For some reason I always thought animestudio needed special content, not poser content.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:08 PM · edited Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:09 PM

It can import .obj.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:10 PM

Does it import the .obj with all the textures?  and is the tooning a postwork filter like photoshop or is it different?

I don't suppose it can import a pz3?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:13 PM

OH and actually pose poser figures in AS. It has been redone to work with poser in many useful ways now.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:15 PM

Yes with Pz3. If I was not about to leave the house for the night I would do a quick render for you. I won't be back till real late.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:18 PM

ooh I would love to see some renders!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:40 PM

Esther - check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62RDRW5y5Po&NR=1

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 6:44 PM

Also check out:

http://anime.smithmicro.com/videos/asd7/content-library.html

to see how SM was able to use the Library manager I wrote for both apps.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 2010 at 8:05 PM

that looks quite good, but unless it can toon the textures from poser in  only a few clicks I won't be able to use.  I would anticipate setting up the scene then in poser and rendering in AS?

I will look into it.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 4:12 AM

another thing that would be useful is to have multiple posing window with different PZ3s open at once. C4D can do it, carrara can do it and comic life magiq can do it.  I bet poser can do it too but SM have chosen not to, perhaps hoping to sell more licences of poser maybe?

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 9:45 AM · edited Tue, 07 December 2010 at 9:47 AM

P7SR3 observation.

when a light is parented to a figure, it doesn't show up in the Parametertab lights dropdown list, unless the figure it's parented to is selected. (makes it harder find if you don't know it's there.)

i don't use the contents room. i wish i could turn it off to save memory.

a Group Tool Room would be cool.

i wish there was an option to see the Grouping Tool's object with texture and not the gray.  

• a masking tool to select polys via an imagebased texture. sub-poly texture?

a room to merge hair and cloth? styling tools for clothified hair?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

ssgbryan ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 1:28 PM · edited Tue, 07 December 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quote - You know, I had problems with slow scrolling through dials when there were lots of morph dials, and then I got a 12 core macpro which is 64 bit and I don't know why but the problem has gone.  

I can only image how blindingly good a full 64 bit would be, but even as it is, poser is now useable, whereas it wasn't really before.

Love esther

For me, it is only semi-usable.  I need more than 4 people in a lot of scenes & poser tends to blow up any scene w/more than fully clothed V4s.

How is that 12 core Mac?  I am so jealouse.  I am looking at getting one this summer

Yeah, I can post work it all, but that slows my work flow down almost exponentialy.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 2:00 PM

file_462637.jpg

This scene was done on my intel Mac mini with Poser. I used 3 V4s, fully clothed, three V3s, fully clothed and about 10 Posettes in the background, all fully clothed and all with hair. That's not counting the prop tables and chair AND the Room.

No problem with Poser handling all of it.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 6:58 PM

the 12 core mac is good.  But don't rush yet.  wouldn't surprise me if a  new one comes with increased processor power.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2010 at 7:10 PM

Quote -
For me, it is only semi-usable.  I need more than 4 people in a lot of scenes & poser tends to blow up any scene w/more than fully clothed V4s.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4296020555_122f2179a1_z.jpg?zz=1

500,000 polygons. IBL, transmapped textures.

PoserPro (not 2010) AMD 64 Dualcore with 4gb of ram... and I could take it higher if I want to... I just did'nt need to at the time...

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2010 at 12:22 PM

I would like to see the option to use External Binary morph targets in the save dialog.  There are certain projects I do incremental saves of.  Others only get one pz3 file save and don't really need the external file.

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 3:40 AM

i think in previous versions it was not possible ot have double sided materials.

can it be done now for poser 9?

i noticed that some software have an option to use two different materials(and textures) on the mesh side. so for exampe outside you use texture 1 and ont the inside texture 2.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 10:42 AM · edited Mon, 20 December 2010 at 10:44 AM

What I would like more then everything else?
An evolution of the existing displacement map that actually moves poly’s.

We have a bump map that does nothing, just gives an illusion of a “bump”.
And we have a displacement map. Yes, but…
In the current setup, the displacement comes last in the sequence. At render time.

I would like a displacement map that actually moves the polys relative to the mesh surface.
This way you could “morph” a figure or prop with a displacement map.

Secondary advantage: The cloth room and the hair room, see the displacement and run around it…

Currently, if a figure has a displacement map, run a cloth sim around the obj, render, and if there is a displacement map, it pokes through as the cloth room did not know-see that there was a displacement map.

Of course, this kind of displacement map can only move the existing points in the mesh.
While the current version can build points as many as there are pixels in the map. 4096x4096 if needed, and that for each material!!

So, a bump map for the illusion, OK
A Displacement mapping that actually moves existing points. (the proposal)

And the existing version of a displacement map that builds as many sub-points as there are pixels in the map.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 20 December 2010 at 11:05 AM

I have written in another thread that i would like to see a better version of the drop to floor command where the feet of the figure would be altered so they stand on the floor, saving lots of foot posing nightmares, but it seams more people in that thread think im just wanting the "make art" button, so im guessing that making things easier or better is more of a joke maybe?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

durf ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 10:38 AM · edited Tue, 21 December 2010 at 10:39 AM

Quote -  No one from SM has asked us this (that I've noticed) yet.
Love esther

i found it on youtube and is all what i like to see in poser 9 what about more animation tools? look to motionbuilder guys. why is poser so horrible to pose or animate figures? DAZSTUDIO Advanced 4 VS Poser Pro 9 5th gen figures, need weight mapping, deformers & good rigging...

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 2:24 PM

Quote - i think in previous versions it was not possible ot have double sided materials.

can it be done now for poser 9?

Ooh, I like this idea.  :thumbupboth:  Two-sided materials would be quite useful.  That idea makes me think of two-sided clothroom cloth, which would be great, too.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:22 PM

Quote -
i found it on youtube and is all what i like to see in poser 9
what about more animation tools? look to motionbuilder guys.
why is poser so horrible to pose or animate figures?

You mean you posted it on YouTube - given up on Studio and trying your luck with Poser now ?

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 5:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - i think in previous versions it was not possible ot have double sided materials. can it be done now for poser 9?

Ooh, I like this idea.  :thumbupboth:  Two-sided materials would be quite useful.  That idea makes me think of two-sided clothroom cloth, which would be great, too.

Two sided materials can be done by appropriate use of the N node. There's a thread at RDNA and/or here.

ElZagna ( ) posted Tue, 21 December 2010 at 9:36 PM

I'm coming into this discussion as a bit of a newbie. I've been working with DAZ and Poser off and on for over a year, sometimes abandoning one or both for months at a time because the experience was just too frustrating. I'm finally at a point where I can generate some renders that I'm somewhat happy with, but it took a ridiculously long time to get there. So for me the main thing I would most like to see in any new release is a focus on usability.

Poser is an amazing product, and I say this as an application developer of over 20 years. How the developers are able to get these 3d objects on a 2D medium and get them to bend and morph and move and spin around the screen is mind boggling, so I have nothing but respect for the folks that make the magic happen. Unfortunately Poser appears to be yet another application where the interface was designed by the same people who wrote the code, and I can tell you from experience, programmers make lousy interface designers. Poser has all the earmarks of this "UI by IT" approach. As a quick example of this consider something as basic as the name of the directory where content is stored. Is it called "Content" or "My Poser Stuff"? No, it's called "Runtime". What does "Runtime" mean to the ordinary user? Probably nothing unless the user comes from a programming background, and even then "runtime" usually refers to components of a system that only come into play during the actual execution. From a programmer's point of view, calling the area where the user's content is stored "Runtime" makes some kind of sense, because it is separate from all that other code they are working with that just makes the application work. Still, only a programmer would name the "content" area "Runtime".

Well, enough of that. Changing the name of the "Runtime" directory to "content" isn't even anything I would recommend at this point, but a complete overhaul of Poser's content management is something I would recommend. Let's face it, right now Poser's content management is one huge, festering, stinkin' mess. From a user's point of view it completely defies logic. To be fair to the Poser team, the basic layout that they came up with wasn't too bad, but once 3rd party vendors started adding functionality that was outside Poser's scope (see “Why are most MAT's in the "Pose" library?”) and started placing their own files willy-nilly within the Poser libraries, it became the big pile of poo that it is today. I realize that you can organize the libraries any way you like - at least within the limits of the library names Poser gives you to work with. Still, it's bad user design to ask each user to clean up the mess.

I've read through most of this thread and I noticed that for the first few pages I agreed with and understood most of the suggestions, but as the discussion progressed, the suggestions became more and more arcane and oriented to the expert user. That's fine, of course. Newbies, experts and those in between all may have good ideas, but it reminds me of a phenomenon I've seen in other high tech companies. Companies developing leading edge technologies pay a lot of attention to their power users, and they treat them well. Power users get inside info and advanced copies of the software. They get invited to conventions. They get watches, jackets and freebies. They get a special place in the company’s hierarchy. They also get heard. There's nothing wrong with that except that in focusing so much on the power user, companies can sometimes forget about the great unwashed masses of their user base. The companies will end up adding these cool new features to the product that will get great buzz among the trade journals while ignoring the needs of the poor SOBs that just want to get the damn thing to work.

Well, that's a pretty long screed for a forum post. I just wanted to emphasize to the folks at SmithMicro that you've got to make your application more usable. It's not just content management that's the problem. It's the whole user interface, the documentation, the instability of the app, and the slow response time. On your next release, add some of these leading edge features if you must - and from a marketing standpoint, you probably must - but please, oh, puhleeeeze do something about the usability problems. Thank you.

durf ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 3:26 AM

Quote - > Quote -

i found it on youtube and is all what i like to see in poser 9
what about more animation tools? look to motionbuilder guys.
why is poser so horrible to pose or animate figures?

You mean you posted it on YouTube - given up on Studio and trying your luck with Poser now ?

no it's posted by friend of me,

i don't know about, poser...

i found everything much better done in dazstudio, then it's done in poser.

pose a figure should be really easy not? daz +1  poser 0

puppeteer pose tool?  daz +1 poser 0

animate setup?  daz 0  poser +1

old rigging setup?  daz 0 poser 0

... both programs are not perfect

and need changes.

it was good in the old days, when people only would do still renders.

but more & more people would try to do animations.

all known inspiration by (dreamworks, disney,....) people see it & would like to do it...

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 1:55 PM

Quote - Two sided materials can be done by appropriate use of the N node. There's a thread at RDNA and/or here.

Correct.  Last time I saw the topic, the results could be effective under certain conditions and were fiddley to set up.  Using the N node, you have to get the normal from the surface to the camera, IIRC, and plug those numbers in for each frame as the camera moves relative to that surface.  Unless something has changed, it's something that fits into the category of things that Poser can kinda-sorta do, but not completely.  Actual real support for two-sidedness would be nice!  :D

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Zaarin ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 2010 at 9:01 PM · edited Wed, 22 December 2010 at 9:05 PM

I'm sure most of these have been said before, but...

*I want SSS.

*Fix refractions, and while you're at it bring in caustics.

*I'd like a Poser-equivalent of AniMate/AniBlocks.

*I'm still in Poser 7 Pro, so 8/2010 may have fixed this, but DoF is unusable in P7 because of the render times it creates, refractions nearly so. Faster rendering would be helpful.

*Dynamic cloth needs some minor updating. Dynamic hair needs some major updating.

durf ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 8:45 AM · edited Thu, 23 December 2010 at 8:46 AM

If poser 9, looks like earlier poser versions, i don't buy it.

what's difference between poser 3 & poser 8  ???? i see not much difference.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 9:59 AM

Quote - If poser 9, looks like earlier poser versions, i don't buy it.

what's difference between poser 3 & poser 8  ???? i see not much difference.

This is a joke, right?

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 1:02 PM

go look for posts by Fixme12, mostly at DAZ - it's not a joke unfortunately.  This person wants 3DS Max features at Poser prices and really doesn't appear to have a clue

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 2:51 PM

The truth is, poser rigging has never really changed  since poser 1 .It is time for a change. At least for a "Pro" version - that 's why you may call it "Pro" . No need to make it low cost .Leave the standard Poser to those who wants to stick with the old rigging system.  Animation Master for example is low price too and it has weight mapping by the way.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 2:51 PM

they won't add indirect specular to poser 9:

• it would be very slow
  • almost nobody uses caustics in faster renderers
  • it's quicker to fake caustics
  • nobody would understand nor use caustics in poser 9

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 3:10 PM

i agree with Miss Nancy

durf ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 10:41 PM · edited Mon, 17 January 2011 at 10:42 PM

well solve this in poser 9!

what need to be solved in poser 9

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2011 at 6:08 AM

For purposes of distributing freebies, it would be nice if, when importing an OBJ(s) and texturing it,  P9 gave you the option of saving the resulting prop with a remotely-referenced OBJ(s), with a prompt box to browse for/create the geometries folder you want, e.g., geometries/seachnasaigh/Tinks Cafe.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Synpainter ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2011 at 6:46 AM · edited Tue, 18 January 2011 at 6:47 AM

SAVE THE MEMORY DOT PALLET WITHIN THE .PZ FILE

Throwing in .02, not sure if it was mentioned as I did not read though all 10 pages...

I WISH that Poser would save the Memory Dots Pallet, in the specific scene file you create.

I can use all dots (Camers, Pose)  in a single scene set up. Start a new scene and have to wipe the dots out for this new setup. 

If I decided to return to an older scene, render from a memory preset dot.... well,  I am hosed :(

Seems as though the Pallet would be able to be carried along with the file save (???)

PilotHigh ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 12:09 PM

The thing that really bothers me to no end is the Heirarchy Editor. When there are 100s of items it takes forever to scroll down. Please make the option of closing all the triangles at once. Maybe using a right click for windows and an option/control click for macs.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.