Thu, Jun 13, 8:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 12:32 am)

Subject: June's Vue Challenge

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 7:25 AM · edited Mon, 08 January 2024 at 4:14 PM

file_176074.jpg

Hi, Last month Verdie of Dreamspinner had a very nice idea: She made this pretty little flower with RG's Shapemaker, and wanted to give it away, but not just as a Free Stuff item, but rather as a reward of sorts for the next Vie Challenge. Well, I said that's a very nice idea, so I asked if she would like to state this months' VC.... So..... this months' VC is: *An Alien Summer, On Another Planet*... and whatever that means to you. So, this month's VC as you can see, is more of a theme, rather than a technical thing, but now we can use everything we learned in the "Planetary" VC of May. Oh, and *everyone* who enters gets this free plant .VOB which Verdie made, but I have to mention that since it's a .VOB saved in Vue 3.1, it won't work in Vue 2... maybe y'all can het her to give you a .obj version of it. :) Have fun! -Mike

dolly ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 7:27 AM

cool idea mike i just got the shapemaker its exellent and im going to do one for this month right away dolly

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 7:33 AM

Wow, I can't belive I spelled "Vue" wrong....can you imagine, of all things.... LOL.... But I ought to elaborate just slightly more: This Vue Challenge must appear to be Summertime (maybe "June"?) on a decidedly alien place.... anything else goes, but be sure that it's obviously not happening on Earth. Or on the set of Third Rock... either.....

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 8:55 AM

LOL..well Vie can be the name of the alien planet if you like Mike ;) After all....it is ALIEN :P LOL hugs

dolly ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 9:03 AM

yer they can speak a differemt language to us as well when we say something with the letters ue as in vue there translation would be as mike said vie3 or we would say er oh never mind im just getting carried away again heehee

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 10:58 AM

Sorry Folks, you can ONLY get this as a VOB because of the way ShapeMaker works, each flower petal section, each leaf and stem are all seperate until they are put together in a 3D Program like Vue or Bryce or even maybe Poser and saved as a whole. This does come with all of my own materials on it for all of you Vue Folks and for you Vie Folks too! LOL S Verdie

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 12:01 PM

file_176075.jpg

By Verdie Ingram of Dreamspinner, Decided to Post this a tad early, for June. Made this Flower with RG's ShapeMaker, all my mats and sky.

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 12:06 PM

file_176076.jpg

Alien Desert Flower By Verdie Ingram of Dreamspinner, Decided to Post this a tad early, for June. Made these Flowers with RG's ShapeMaker, all my mats and sky. This is a better look at the Flowers, but I do not think my pic looks quite Alien enough. LOL

Varian ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 3:30 PM

Verdie, those flowers are so lovely. Maybe I'll spend June on another planet somewhere. ;) So now we all vie for the Vue Challenge, eh? Uh-oh....I just got a scathingly brilliant idea for a BULL image! Teeheeteeheeteehee! };>

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 3:45 PM

Well Varian, you enter the challenge, and you get yourself one of those flowers for your very own...what's better, is I believe I might have succeeded in getting Verdie to send the .obj files which make it up, so I can put it together and also have it as a .obj for the Vue 2-ers. Ummm... more bulls, eh? Wonder if I can do an alien sci-fi Summer fence-attack scene? ;)

Varian ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 5:02 PM

LOL!! Hey, how are you going to assemble it to convert back to OBJ? I'd like to be doing that, too, with my Shapemaker items, but haven't found a way yet. (Haven't tried MarbleClay yet...been a frantic day here.)

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 5:19 PM

Well, I would most likely use Rhino for that, since exact placement of objects is quite easy, but also it could be done in Poser, and then the whole mess could be exported as .OBJ. For that matter, with some intelligent parenting of the different objects, and some work in the joint editor, you could even make it pseudo-poseable in Poser. And taking that one step further, one could even turn it into a "character" .cr2 with PHI Builder and Poser....bloodsong could probably do it in about an hour, but I would need at least a week, LOL...

Varian ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 5:32 PM

Hey Mike, I've got some more questions, but I'll take them to the 3D Commune Shapemaker forum. :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2001 at 5:58 PM

Allright, see you there!

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 1:25 PM

file_176077.jpg

By Verdie Ingram of Dreamspinner, I DID just find out that I can put together the ShapeMaker obj's in Bryce and just exported out my Fountain and the water terrain out of Bryce and saved them as obj's. Then imported them into Vue and did a quick render to show it off. So Mike I'm going to try to put together that Alien Flower in Bryce and then export it out to be used by the folks that have Vue 2, ect.

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2001 at 2:46 PM

OK, Verdie, just let me know... I still haven't messed with te .OBJ files you sent me and I found something wrong with the main flower-- a strand of polygons or maybe a sinle stretched polygon, possibly the result of being exported from Poser with no UV's, but I'm not sure. I can get rid of it in Rhino, but I haven't had time to mess with any of it yet. -Mike

dolly ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 5:16 AM

file_176079.jpg

Well this is my entry for the vue challange, its called ALIEN SUMMER ON VIE The mountains were made in shapemaker and the crystal all renderd in vue no post it looks pretty alin to me what do you think oh and mike do i leave it haere or post someware else dolly

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 8:50 AM

Wow!! Alien and Pretty, Dolly!! Why not also post it in the Gallery? I love the crispness and the brilliant color that you managed in the foreground, the POV and the 2 moons. S Verdie

dolly ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 8:55 AM

i did thanks verdie and i like your flower very much i was trynig to do one but it ended up looking like the crystal dolly

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 10:12 AM

Wow Dolly, that is really cool! I really like the mountains/structures and the crystals, too. Why not post this to the Shapemaker forum at 3D Commune? I think Rich would love it! :)

dolly ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 10:21 AM

ok matey i will and il dedicate it to him for making the programme

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 10:36 AM

I find it very difficult putting obj's together in Vue and it was a LOT of work to assemble that Flower! I'm REALLY hoping that Vue4 is a lot more user friendly for me, if I ever save enough money to get the upgrade.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 3:18 PM

Looks teriffic dolly-- I imagine Rich will like it too....

RG ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2001 at 6:03 PM

I do!!! Best use of the twist function I've seen. I've been wondering if that parameter was of much value. I see it is. I always like seeing what the Vue users here come up with using Shapemaker. Rich

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 12:43 PM

file_176082.jpg

Alien WithIn By Verdie Ingram of Dreamspinner, Rootus Stumpus, made with RG's ShapeMaker, is now a vob, with my textures on everything and the sky is mine too. Wanted to see how this obj looked in Vue and decided to make it for the Alien Summer Challenge for fun.

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 12:47 PM

file_176083.jpg

Alien WithIn Plus One By Verdie Ingram of Dreamspinner, Rootus Stumpus and Rootus Treeus, made with RG's ShapeMaker, are now a vob, with my textures on everything and the sky is mine too. Wanted to see how this obj looked in Vue and decided to make it for the Alien Summer Challenge for fun.

dolly ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 1:41 PM

i like your rootus stumpus i think they are wicked and a lot of work well done verdie

bernieloehn ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 4:12 PM

file_176085.jpg

Hi everybody, How do you like it: Summer fun at Sirius V. Well, really - I have not been drunken when I made the picture. Actually I've caught a bad cold - so possibly it is a kind of feaver dream! Yours, Bernie

Keep cool and fight for the right of others
to have a different opinion than you have!

;- ) Bernie

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 4:35 PM

Wild colors, Bernie! :)

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 9:26 PM

This is Totally Delightful, Bernie!! Love your use of the ShapeMaker goodies in this one too, also good since of humor! S Verdie

bernieloehn ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 4:36 AM

Hi Verdie, Thanks for your nice critics but I fear I did not use shapemaker anyhow - had one to do? My picture was totally Vue 3.1 generated but I love to experiment with textures and at moment I am on kind of functions trip (color and bump) - I am using other pictures like maps or just jpgs I have taken with my tiny electronic camera as function, e.g. very different colored stones from a river bed make a nice distribution of materials and cracks. Okay - so far. Yours, Bernie

;- ) Bernie

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 8:27 AM

Hi Bernie, I think your picture above is very good, too. You have a very unique style, and your work with unusual textures is very good. It's interesting to read that you are taking small digital camera pictures and integrating them in with your procedurals. I imagine the possibilities for materials must be endless! And no, this months' challenge does not require Shapemaker... Cheers, Mike

bernieloehn ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 9:20 AM

Hi mjustmike (but also all other "vueies" <- something like treckies), why don't you have look at my private homepage, there I've published all my pictures (but also some sh.. - I fear). I will add here a link: http://mitglied.tripod.de/Bernhard_Loehn/english_index.html Okay, I hope you will vistit me and you will like the pictures in the gallery. Yours, Bernie

;- ) Bernie

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 9:46 AM

Bernie, Yes, I have been to your site before and I think your pictures are all well-done-- I'm going to have to go and explore some more when I have more time though. I would love to know how you did those animated panoramas.... One thing I hadn't noticed before, is you are a doctor? Also, I have doenloaded your new tree and plant and trunk materials, and have been using them for a while in my pics, but I often forget to give credit-- all GREAT stuff, and I thank you much! Cheers, Mike

bernieloehn ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 3:55 PM

file_176087.jpg

Hi vueies and ... Mike - thanks - but too much honor and forget about this credits thing, by the way, the panorama thing is very easy: Download the panorama applet from my download area, create a panorama by clicking at the 360 degrees checkbox in the render possilities area of Vue, adjust camera to an interesting scene/viewpoint, render, than you only have to name/connect your panorama to the java applet. Or just download the applet and feel free to copy the source code from/of (<- English ?) my panorame site. Anyway here comes another VC result for June: Summer dance of some Sirius IV squids CU, Bernie P.S. Mike - I think your VC ideas are really great. They always open for me new horizons of creativity!

;- ) Bernie

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 4:10 PM

Wow, what a great imagination, Bernie! Hey, why not post these to the Vue gallery? More folks would be able to see them there. :)

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2001 at 4:30 PM

Yep, another great job of this Alien Summer On Another Planet Challenge. I went to your site and enjoyed it very much and had just wtitten a letter to you and clicked send and Netscape shut down on me! Anyways really enjoyed it. S Verdie of Dreamspinner

bernieloehn ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 2:23 PM

file_176089.jpg

Well, another picture for the june c: Anybody out there who is not on vacation? I always hated it during the interim time of semester at university when everybody went on vacation and you had nobody to have fun with! Cheers, I will now go downtown and will have a couple of beer - too many as I fear! CU and your pictures, Bernie

;- ) Bernie

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 3:48 PM

Mike, don't you think this thread has gotten kinda long? Can you start a new one? I know it's partly my fault for posting so many pics in it. Bernie love what you've done with your sky in this and lots of other fun stuff in it too!!! Varian, where is your Alien Summer pic?? Dying to see what you come up with!! Verdie of Dreamspinner

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 5:00 PM

Bernie, wow, cool, another couple of great new pictures! I WISH I was on vacation, but sadly I'm just gone at work all day. :( Anyhow, thanks all for the great pics! And Verdie, no need for me to start a new thread, since anyone here can do that. It is not "necessary" that the VC pictures all be placed in the same thread, but I don't have any problem with that either. When I have a picture to show, I'll put it in a new thread... Und Bernie, trinken Sie bier kalt, aber warm? Hmmm.. hope I wrote that correctly... it's been a long time....

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 7:07 PM

Okay, Mike because it takes me 10 minutes to get into this thread now!! LOL Guess me will start a new one. S Verdie of Dreamspinner

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2001 at 7:13 PM

Well, Verdie, you have 260KB of images on this particular thread.... ;)

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 11:23 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=61776&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

file_176090.jpg

"The Elders Teeth on Beta Draconis is a hot destination this summer. Many Glavooz families have already enjoyed the shimmering beaches of this unique place in the quadrant. The cristalline waters make it a perfect playground for families with offsprings. You too could rest under the relaxing light of the moons of Beta Draconis. All you have to do is return this message with your payment to the following address..." - Excerpt from a vacation pamphlet from the Beta Draconis Office of Tourism This picture represents a group of Glavooz kids playing around the antique stones under the attentive watch of their parents. Made entierely with Vue for this month's challenge about an "Alien Summer".

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 2:52 AM

Wow! Very, very cool, agiel. I'm impressed! Funny, too. Thank you for this. :) -Mike

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 11:36 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=63007&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

file_176091.jpg

I finally received a copy of Vue 4 ! Here is the revised alien summer with a better atmosphere and hlowing textures. I hope you like it :)

dolly ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 11:48 AM

exellent what a great improvment

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:47 PM

Wow, that's gorgeous! Vue 4 definitely makes for a major improvement. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.