Sat, Jun 1, 8:37 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

dforce - Honey - Genesis 8

$12.95 USD 30% Off
$9.07 USD

Subject: Remembering Alice... improvements ?

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 7:10 AM ยท edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 5:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=72553&Start=61&Sectionid=0&WhatsNew=Yes

file_196436.jpg

I spent the past few days working on this scene. I am still not completely satisfied with the shadows on the floor (or the lack thereof). Any idea to improve this ? There are only 4 lights in this scene : - sunlight outside of the attic - one spotlight outside of the window for the volumetric beam - a spotlight on the floor pointing up, to simulate radiosity - a point light under alice's nose, to add some brightness to her face

bhitney ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 7:48 AM

fantastic scene! I love the composition and lighting. The only thing that you may want to try to adjust is the floor - it seems a tad bright in the ambient settings, perhaps. I know you don't want to darken it too much, but it's the only thing that seems a little bright to me... otherwise really amazing. -Brian

bloodsong ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 8:06 AM

heyas; i think i know what you mean: like where the floor is shadowed, but should be more shadowed where something rests on it? try shinging a negative light (or a few) down where you want darker shadows. maybe couple them with your 'radiosity' spotlights.

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 11:23 AM

What they said, and wow, cool image! :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 8:19 PM

This is so cool! I'm thinking that your problem might be the volumetric spotlight which is flooding the entire scene with light. Try completely enclosing this scene within a cube, where the spotlight is within it, but light from it can only enter the scene through the window. Delete the sun and replace it with a point light or two, and that might help your shadow problem. You also might up the shadow intensity for certain point lights. I won't ever use a Sun or a Directional Light for an interior scene and I always isolate the scene from the rest of the "World".

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 8:20 PM

Not a cube, but six walls. They won't be visible with all that you already have in this scene.

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 7:44 AM

Thanks Mike, I will try that.

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 31 July 2001 at 8:07 AM

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've spent more time experimenting with the volumetric spotlights so far than anything else in Vue 4. they are very tricky, and the slightest adjustment can make a huge difference. I still don't really know what the actual difference between the power setting and the intensity setting is, but they seem to work together.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.