Thu, May 16, 10:09 PM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 8:51 pm)

Subject: Distorted Wardrobe items

DocPhoton ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2024 at 5:09 PM · edited Thu, 16 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

I've been meaning to ask this for some time. What is the best method for dealing with this type of issue when using the default Load All for some wardrobe items?  Eyeglasses, goggles & the like often end up quite distorted, but other things too like shoes.

What I've been doing if its REALLY bad like this example (new item), is make & save a fresh scene with just that item, then perform a Merge Scene with the ward-robed character after deleting the original distorted item & re-parent accordingly. Might have to further re-parent after export, but not an issue.

That works well, but wondering what the correct or more efficient workflow might be?

lFcyIKTq7LRSGaTeK1bUM7J5qH9O0EPG6WG3gszP.jpg

ncGQL3o5JHL7X8e0vC284D3VfiSTUdANzjrG81V6.jpg

GGreen ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2024 at 6:17 PM

What is the name of this outfit? If I have it, I will test it.  I always merge into scene if that is an option. If there  is a hat I apply the hair before dressing the character. If there are no options in the parameter tab to assist with adjusting the clothing that is when I use Mesh Grabber from the Daz Store. If you are going to get it, I recommend you get the bundle or all the parts in the bundle. 

Here are the steps I use

1. Select the character

2. I then right click on the outfit in the content tab, and merge into scene

3. I fit the outfit to the character, and parent it as well

4. Make adjustments in the parameter tab if there are any available.

5. Use Mesh Grabber if needed. I prefer to use the wireframe viewpoint, it makes it easier to work with the item.

donnena ( ) posted Wed, 01 May 2024 at 8:30 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Zeroing the parts might help

;>

Andy!

DocPhoton ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

It's https://www.daz3d.com/steampunk-artificer-for-genesis-8-females

I'll make note of those steps.

The buttons get to wait until tomorrow.

GGreen ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 6:21 AM · edited Thu, 02 May 2024 at 6:21 AM

Ok I have loaded the outfit and played around with it. Below I used the SY hair and hat helper.

YRuSCQGqQyeYr29cinoaJ7UBo1DngkpsjvkNGJiW.png

LwMkHYg4nHpECyW8QlsieAWD87Gqiajd684Zhotr.png

using mesh grabber I fixed the exposed hair.

XmkENbEf0NHfvx6xpj7VQJNgCRdO5mWRYvMV96FH.png

I loaded my hair and parented it to the SY hair and hat helper. I changed the hair blue so that it would contrast with hat and I could see if the hair was poking through.

ODGtNV1qKvgLcNd3ItC0WM50J4EOz3scCnqsItgr.png

Now back to a normal hair color. oops looks like I moved the goggles.

GGreen ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 6:24 AM · edited Thu, 02 May 2024 at 6:24 AM

Next picture is how the load all appears in my scene.

mriztQVg2wQZgmhDlzGzn7DumRb0Q1A0otJPhZTC.png

These are not renders, just screen shots from my Daz workspace.

GGreen ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 7:20 AM

Some people would say just create a deformer and use the deformer to adjust the hair. I have not been able to get the hang of the deformers or how they work..

DocPhoton ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Looks like your goggles load with the same problem. There are additional bones for them & their weights are causing the problem when exporting somehow.

I was able to export them separately, keep the rigging and morph, and then re-parent to the characters rig w/o the distortion.

The hair I'm not so concerned with in DS as I make can my own "HatHair" morph later in Modeler.

Good to know you that can use MeshGrabber on the SY helper though.

FirstBastion ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

When loading a  hard surface item like goggles that will be sitting on the head,  I don't "fit to"  but simply parent to the head bone then use the various adjustments to manual fit it to the character. Tends to work for eyeglasses too. 

GGreen ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 5:15 PM

Thank you 1stBastion.  @DocPhoton I love meshgrabber, I find it to be really helpful. It works fine with a mouse, but I get more control using a pen/pen tablet. The thing I learned about these autoload items is it really depends on the character. Some characters have bigger heads, breasts,bodies, etc than other so they load differently. In my cases using the "fit to" makes minor adjustments to the clothing. Sometimes there is a little bit of skin showing until I select the "fit to" than the skin goes away.

DocPhoton ( ) posted Thu, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Finally got them to work. 

My HatHair morph is working pretty well & can tweek as needed easily.

The hair is https://www.daz3d.com/hs-gloria-sleek-and-wet-short-hair-for-genesis-9-8-and-81-female

I haven't surfaced it fully yet. It's deceptively simple looking but has four layers, each with separate maps. Too bad I've most of it under the hat.

P9woRRgzOLUT08OlSkqOeW6kwpJlmDbrm9oLY3vB.jpg

Thanks guys.

GGreen ( ) posted Fri, 03 May 2024 at 4:32 AM

Nice. Adding the hair to my wishlist.

DocPhoton ( ) posted Sat, 04 May 2024 at 1:29 AM · edited Sat, 04 May 2024 at 1:29 AM

I want/need to explore better hair surfacing in LW. It's adequate, but ... Another area where Daz excels, but that's mostly translating their surfacing system.

Something a clever coder could probably make a few scheckels writing. ;)

See, no matter what format one exports to out of Daz, whether it be FBX or OBJ, you only get the basic maps, the diffusion, maybe the bump or rough. Generally only two.So no Normals, etc.  It's the export format that's the limiter. Same issue with KitBash product, etc.

Don't know about the Daz to Blender Bridge with surfaces & how it handles it.

So, it's up to you to first find, then re-surface for other than those Standard basic textures, i.e. PBR. Took me awhile to get the workflow, but what the hey.

Meanwhile, I got to put some things into practice a little sooner that I thought.

I picked up https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-greek-princess-outfit-set-for-genesis-8-and-81-females recently.

I had the character Saffire for awhile, but just couldn't find the right wardrobe.

Anyway, the wardrobe is quite classic & period looking..., until you get to the feet.

What's with the Oh So Anachronistic High-Heel Shoes, eh?

But this isn't about fashion choices but rather applying a pose that also bakes the transformations. One of my knowledge gap areas; the Bake to Transforms. Question for another thread though.

I could reset the feet, but then shoes become quite goobered (technical term) for a number of reasons.

I didn't like the "shoes" anyway, but did like the lacings.  And it came too me afterwards of course, a simpler way of doing things, but so it goes.

Multiple ways of extracting the upper dermal of a feline, don't cha know?

I've had one of the Boho outfit items for some time that had the Sandals.

So, Zippity Zoppity, something a lot more in line with what it should be.

Pi4GqZBIZd1cNvJAnjrF8PixYxiJKGnqwVgJJxrC.jpg

zBcVbfgtoiKndrpOKccxStcUaLUQCk2pPzzTIjqh.jpg

GGreen ( ) posted Sun, 05 May 2024 at 8:40 PM

Pretty outfit. I am a bit puzzled by your comment regarding the shoes. I took a look at the original outfit and did notice the high heeled shoes.  I added this item to my wishlist.

1.  "then re-surface for other than those Standard basic textures, i.e. PBR" - Shaders are the quickest way to do anything.

2. It is fairly easy to create  a normal map if a person feels the outfit needs one.  I use ShaderMap to create anything other than a basic bump map or transparency map.

3. "I didn't like the "shoes" anyway, but did like the lacings"-  In a case like this I would create a transparency map to hide the actual foot part of the shoe and then apply  shoes I want my model to wear? Might even consider hiding the straps/lacings just to give the outfit a different flair.

I like the crown, the belt, and the shoes in the promo. They are made to work as a set and they are very pretty.

DocPhoton ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Puzzled in what way? High-heels go back to the ancient Egyptians yes, but couldn't find any in examples of traditional Hellenic costume is all.

I should have looked earlier to do it that way. There is a cutout Opacity slider for the shoes. Not the first time I've gone the long way around.

As far as shaders go, they look beautiful in DS, but only two maps for any surface will export at most.  The maps are all in their original folder(s), so I copy to new folder rather than link. Confuses things less. Then you resurface. I've 3rd party tools that makes it easy & quick process to PBR.

Some maps are split up into sub folders. At first I didn't care for that system as every item's map has a "01 Base color" texture. So when opened in Lightwave at least, it uses the first "01 Base color" map it sees for that surface and moves on. So a Jacket might get partially surfaced using the Shoe maps for example. Once I figured out the system, it actually makes it quick & easy to surface.

I use ShaderMap also, Version 4 R3, and only recently discovered I've been using it wrong for character work.  All the examples are for non organic items, so you don't really have examples with surfaces that need to be seamless such as the Face and Torso or Arms.

It's somehow to do with generating the Displacement map, and I think Edge Detection, as there's a blur going on, and that subsequently gets passed on to the Normal.

On my To-Do list is to write & ask him about that, or I could just futz around with it some more.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.