Sun, May 5, 7:12 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 05 11:57 am)

Subject: Deleting and changing mat zones?

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 2:29 PM · edited Sat, 04 May 2024 at 8:13 PM

Subject line pretty well says it.  I have a prop I've made and I'd like to label the mat zones better AND delete some that are unnecessary.  How do I go about this?

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 3:06 PM

I go back into the modeler I made it in and do it there. I'd be interested to know if there's an easier or better way.

Sunfire's Creations

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 3:12 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

In Poser, you can't. You can use the group tool to change the mat zones for parts or all of a prop (or figure) and you can also add them there, but you can't remove or rename existing ones. You'll have to use other software for that. Most 3d modelers can do it. I don't know if UVmapper can.

To do this in a 3d modeler, export the obj (or use the original) and open it in the 3d app. Change the zones. export as an obj. Import into poser and save as a new prop.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 3:20 PM

As I suspected ... thank you for the information!  On to the next step! :) 

Boni

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 4:24 PM
RedPhantom posted at 3:12 PM Mon, 6 March 2023 - #4457819

In Poser, you can't. You can use the group tool to change the mat zones for parts or all of a prop (or figure) and you can also add them there, but you can't remove or rename existing ones. You'll have to use other software for that. Most 3d modelers can do it. I don't know if UVmapper can.

To do this in a 3d modeler, export the obj (or use the original) and open it in the 3d app. Change the zones. export as an obj. Import into poser and save as a new prop.

UVMapper Pro definitely can.  You can delete any or all material zones, create new ones and (although I can't remember the steps) rename existing ones.  It's saved me some faffing about in the past with a rigged and finished figure.  If it's a simple prop, though, I usually drop it into Wings and work there.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 4:36 PM · edited Mon, 06 March 2023 at 4:36 PM

IMO, using Poser File Editor, it may be possible:

9vLdaR9UB9udT1MukRxIyuTMx0H4qpjQhXVq4oLe.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2023 at 6:10 PM

Another option is manually editing the prop file (pp2), just be careful and always open/test/save from Poser as a copy for later use.

I use this trick a lot, using Notepad++ (text editor), there is a menu option language/J/JSON, it will let you collapse the nodes, similar to what Y-Phil shows above.

You can then search/replace/edit, from multiple files at once, results at the speed of light, very useful if you have too many files to edit!

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2023 at 8:34 AM

WHile you can use PFE to delete material groups, they will also need to be deleted from the geometry as well. 

First, delete the material zones using a modeler or UV mapper pro.  Then you can use PFE to delete any materials that don't exist in the OBJ file. Open the associated Poser file in PFE and choose Repair > Correct Used Materials.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 08 March 2023 at 5:59 PM

With guidance (and an awesome Beta tester) I was able to fix this! Thanks all!

Boni

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 2:04 PM · edited Thu, 09 March 2023 at 2:10 PM

I just use the grouping tool do this. Here's an example with a simple object, the morphing cylinder. It has two mats: Preview (for the body) and Caps (for the ends).

In the grouping tool, I create a new group, dabody. I add the Preview mat to this. Then I assign a new mat name to it: dabody. I then create a second group, daends. I add the Caps mat to this. Then I assign a new mat to it, daends.

In the mat room, you can see all four mats now: Preview, Caps, dabody, and daends.

Back in the grouping tool, I create another group, dawholething. I add the mats daends and dabody to it. Then I click Create Prop and name it dacyl.

In the mat room, you now see three mats for this object: daends, dabody, and Preview. You can't get rid of Preview, but Caps is gone.

Let's say I want another mat around the center of the body like a ring. I create that group as daRing and select the polys I want. I assign it with a new mat name daRing. Then I select the group dawholething. I do Create Prop again and name it dacyl2 to create a third object. This has four mats: daends, dabody, daRing, and Preview.

Of course, the object can be more complex than this, but it's the same idea. I just use the grouping tool.

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 3:09 PM
Online Now!

Yes, but you're creating a new prop every time you want to reassign material groups.  It helps to preserve the original just in case of a problem but it can become convoluted if there is a much more complicated arrangement.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 6:16 PM

hborre posted at 3:09 PM Thu, 9 March 2023 - #4458016

Yes, but you're creating a new prop every time you want to reassign material groups.  It helps to preserve the original just in case of a problem but it can become convoluted if there is a much more complicated arrangement.

You can save the original object in the library, if it's not already there. And previous object versions are easy to delete. That's the beauty of the digital world!

My point was it's not necessary to leave Poser to create new mat names and remove the old ones.

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 6:46 PM
Online Now!

Got it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.