Tue, May 7, 5:24 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, donnena Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 30 1:25 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser photorealism and superfly skin setup needed please

ghostship2 ( ) posted Tue, 26 January 2021 at 9:39 PM

you are wrong, bump maps come from the color maps. I should know, I made them in Photoshop. Have a look. bump.jpg

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

adp001 ( ) posted Tue, 26 January 2021 at 11:51 PM

Yes, was obviously wrong.

Here is a render I made in the meantime (Cycles):

r_001.png

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 7:16 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2021 at 7:19 AM

I used the same method as ghostship2 for my previous characters (and one for LH that I'm still finishing up and will release in some time). It just -- doesn't feel very right to me, because to extract that information from simple color a lot of things go wrong, like the lighting used in the photographs, the resolution of the camera blurring things, the spots where different photos used were connected to wrap around the model, etc. But of course, we don't have the privilege of using super advanced scans of skin like the stuff from texturing.xyz, that's way too pricey.

I feel like this method of mixing procedural in Substance, with some painting, with some alphas extracted from photos of specific details of the skin.... I also saw a method for the diffuse maps, the person takes a diffuse made from photos and blurs that to remove the information of the pores (which is supposed to be made only in bump) and adds procedural details + painting - I'm trying to see how that goes over blurred textures of Mayu mixed with blurred textures of a merchant resource for La Femme. We'll see how it goes - the experimenting continues xD I think I'll look into purchasing some skin detail alphas.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 8:38 AM

Yes, I too used that method years ago. It's ok for shots from a distance.

Whoever owns Poser: They are setting the wrong prioritis. Textures are the key for figures, figures are the key for 3D-Software like Poser.

DAZ knows that. And delivers with the free software all required keys for creators/sellers. To make their marketplace a big business.

My last picture above is based on Genesis 3, by the way. Imported into Blender.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 12:02 PM

Same model, same textures, but a bit farther away and depth of field activ. As you can see, the bumpmap becomes less important with this distance already.

r_003b.png

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 12:34 PM

what are you doing in a Poser 12 forum? Daz and Blender ain't Poser.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 1:03 PM

adp001 posted at 1:01PM Wed, 27 January 2021 - #4411186

Same model, same textures, but a bit farther away and depth of field activ. As you can see, the bumpmap becomes less important with this distance already.

r_003b.png

IMHO, the bump map is too strong. You shouldn't see such prominent pores at that distance. (Under her eye, the side of her nose, the edge of her forehead.)

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 2:09 PM

Also has the same "too perfect" problem of the Poser characters, so... yeah. Comparing to that one, I don't see the point (though I did see the stuff about Genesis 8.1 and I find the expression controls very nice)

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

caisson ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2021 at 6:52 PM

There are some more affordable skin displacement maps at surfacemimic dot com, patches as well as more specific scans. Also some cross-polarised colour photos.

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2021 at 7:29 AM

caisson posted at 7:28AM Thu, 28 January 2021 - #4411220

There are some more affordable skin displacement maps at surfacemimic dot com, patches as well as more specific scans. Also some cross-polarised colour photos.

Eh I checked that - too limited, I think I'd be better off with alpha packs that we see everywhere.

Which I'm, right now, trying to see if I can make from all those nude photo reference resources I've gathered over the years, at least for the details (lips, finger wrinkles, etc)

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:25 AM

Okay, I think I've reached a point where I need to make a more realistic morph to be able to see if there's anything else I can do for her textures.

image.png

- - - - - - 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:30 AM

I am still amazed how Poser makes us blind.

Look at the skin around these eyes (which is black and white and helps not be distracted by the diffuse color)

image.png

Now look at your render.

This and more great pictures of eyes can be found here

2,588 Female Pair Eyes Photos

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:34 AM

There's almost always a fold on the upper eyelid, and the lower eyelid almost always has some creases.

image.png

There's none of this on LF

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:35 AM

If you mean the highlights, I haven't worked on those yet xD

If you mean the shape, that's what I meant about needing to work on a more realistic morph.

- - - - - - 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:36 AM

Deecey's post shows the fold but not the creases

image.png

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:36 AM · edited Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:36 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:36AM Sat, 30 January 2021 - #4411430

If you mean the shape, that's what I meant about needing to work on a more realistic morph.

Yes - and you'll need creases in the bump map.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:36 AM

bagginsbill posted at 7:36AM Sat, 30 January 2021 - #4411429

There's almost always a fold on the upper eyelid, and the lower eyelid almost always has some creases.

image.png

There's none of this on LF

Ah, okay, you do mean shape.

LF is... clean. Smooth. She's a base, she's supposed to be morphed.

That's the part I'm gonna work on next for this project of mine.

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:38 AM

We're crossposting into oblivion xD

bagginsbill posted at 7:37AM Sat, 30 January 2021 - #4411432

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:36AM Sat, 30 January 2021 - #4411430

Yes - and you'll need creases in the bump map.

I handpainted creases in Substance - I think the program made them into normal maps instead of bump map, and I'm not using those. For some reason I get bad seams at every UV seam when using normal maps in Poser, never figured that out. I guess I'll have to figure out how to force Substance to turn all my height painting info into bump maps instead of normals.

- - - - - - 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 7:40 AM

image.png

Really need these in the bump map or it just looks not real.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2021 at 3:16 PM

Ok so turns out Substance puts most of the height info in the normal map, not the bump map. I found a tool to convert normals into bumps and well - much better.

image.png

No morph yet. But bb might notice I did mind the eye creases ;)

- - - - - - 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2021 at 11:10 AM

That's much better. Keep going.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 01 February 2021 at 4:13 PM · edited Mon, 01 February 2021 at 4:13 PM

And morphed. Alright - not done yet, but I'm pretty proud of this.

image.png

I'm gonna try and give this morph some HD details - gotta test that jerry rigged method for using Blender for HD morphs that I saw somewhere, never tried it before. Also, she's borrowing Mayu's brows and lashes transmap. I'm gonna bake some trans+diffuse maps for those using Blender particle hair and see how that goes.

I'm calling this girl Debora. :D

- - - - - - 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2021 at 4:54 PM

That's a huge improvement!

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2021 at 9:11 PM

I'll say! She's gorgeous Ohki! 🙂

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Varnayrah ( ) posted Wed, 03 February 2021 at 4:30 AM

Please don't let us wait toooo long for her ;)

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 03 February 2021 at 4:45 AM

Thank you, everyone ❤️

- - - - - - 

Varnayrah ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 10:18 AM

Poser, Superfly, La Femme. Skin by 3Dream, not too smooth I think. But I'm not sure if that smooth look without any iregularities isn't the look that most people want - considering the huge variety of youthfull, smooth chars in the Marketplace. Winter Moth.jpg

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 10:33 AM

Varnayrah posted at 10:31AM Mon, 08 February 2021 - #4412287

Poser, Superfly, La Femme. Skin by 3Dream, not too smooth I think. But I'm not sure if that smooth look without any iregularities isn't the look that most people want - considering the huge variety of youthfull, smooth chars in the Marketplace. Winter Moth.jpg

Amazing render. I have this skin pack too and really like it a lot. There are way to many smooth character out. We need more skins with "character" .

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 2:52 PM

I love that skin pack and I hope there will be more like it.

Also, may I ask about the fur on the hat? Is that dynamic? And one more question: what is your lighting setup? I collect those...way too many harsh ones around and this is really nice on the highlights.

Thank you for sharing

RAMWorks ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2021 at 11:53 PM

One of the big things about most of the human types I see for Poser are the lack of veins. Even women have veins here and there. Subcutaneous blues and vein pops are necessary for a more realistic look. I like allot of what I see here but I'm still an old newbie when it comes to allot of this stuff. I still haven't ventured into making my own skin resource and probably won't for the foreseeable future although it does interest me!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 2:37 AM

RAMWolff posted at 2:37AM Wed, 10 February 2021 - #4412438

One of the big things about most of the human types I see for Poser are the lack of veins. Even women have veins here and there. Subcutaneous blues and vein pops are necessary for a more realistic look. I like allot of what I see here but I'm still an old newbie when it comes to allot of this stuff. I still haven't ventured into making my own skin resource and probably won't for the foreseeable future although it does interest me!

A vascularity pack exists for M4/V4, but I haven't tested it

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Varnayrah ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 3:35 AM

Rhia474 posted at 3:33AM Wed, 10 February 2021 - #4412319

I love that skin pack and I hope there will be more like it.

Also, may I ask about the fur on the hat? Is that dynamic? And one more question: what is your lighting setup? I collect those...way too many harsh ones around and this is really nice on the highlights.

Thank you for sharing

I'm sorry - I didn't get notified about posts in this thread so I read that only now.

The fur on the cap is dynamic, yes. It's already built into the fur cap by GrayCloudDesign, but I tinkered with the settings to make it denser. The material is by boundless but modified: I used a texture tile in the hair.

The lightning is one of the ones in blackhearted Superfly Studio set.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 9:41 AM

@Varnayrah One suggestion: use hair maps that don't have burned in highlights and shadows. Biscuits and Out of Touch have such maps with most of their hair products and can be used with most hair models.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 12:30 PM

Y-Phil posted at 12:26PM Wed, 10 February 2021 - #4412440

One of the big things about most of the human types I see for Poser is the lack of veins. Even women have veins here and there. Subcutaneous blues and vein pops are necessary for a more realistic look. I like a lot of what I see here but I'm still an old newbie when it comes to a lot of this stuff. I still haven't ventured into making my own skin resource and probably won't for the foreseeable future although it does interest me!

I have used the vascularity pack for both M4 and V4, it works well on its own but you need to manually insert it if you are using EZSkin 3 and it will not in P12 because it relies on Python Script 2 for setting the intensity of the displacement.

Varnayrah ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 2:38 PM

ghostship2 posted at 2:37PM Wed, 10 February 2021 - #4412453

@Varnayrah One suggestion: use hair maps that don't have burned in highlights and shadows. Biscuits and Out of Touch have such maps with most of their hair products and can be used with most hair models.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. It seems hair maps without baked in highlights are rare bt I do have several of bisquits hair products so I can try those maps.

Varnayrah ( ) posted Thu, 11 February 2021 at 12:13 PM

Hm, neither outoftouch nor biscuits maps are working with that hair model. outoftouch maps look just flat and biscuits too coarse. Reason maybe that the model is older and has rather broad strands. I'll just leave it as it is and move on.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 11 February 2021 at 8:23 PM

Varnayrah posted at 8:21PM Thu, 11 February 2021 - #4412564

Hm, neither outoftouch nor biscuits maps are working with that hair model. outoftouch maps look just flat and biscuits too coarse.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the textures Biscuits includes with her hair products look coarse. I have quite a few of her hair products for different characters, and I'm always looking for add-on textures for her hairs by other vendors.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 10:38 AM

Varnayrah posted at 10:38AM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412564

Hm, neither outoftouch nor biscuits maps are working with that hair model. outoftouch maps look just flat and biscuits too coarse. Reason maybe that the model is older and has rather broad strands. I'll just leave it as it is and move on.

what hair model is it? I may have it and can take a look.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 11:36 AM

hborre posted at 11:35AM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412461

One of the big things about most of the human types I see for Poser is the lack of veins. Even women have veins here and there. Subcutaneous blues and vein pops are necessary for a more realistic look. I like a lot of what I see here but I'm still an old newbie when it comes to a lot of this stuff. I still haven't ventured into making my own skin resource and probably won't for the foreseeable future although it does interest me!

I have used the vascularity pack for both M4 and V4, it works well on its own but you need to manually insert it if you are using EZSkin 3 and it will not in P12 because it relies on Python Script 2 for setting the intensity of the displacement.

I got inspired by ghostship's explanation for the tattoos, and I got this. I still have a prob. with her teeth and lacrimals. Here the vascularity bitmap have been used at max value for the sake of demonstration.

Sasha-Brook 1-Face-settings.jpg

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 12:14 PM

that is a bit extreme.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 1:02 PM

ghostship2 posted at 1:02PM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412633

that is a bit extreme.

It was on purpose

PhYl.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 2:57 PM

Seems pretty interesting, the maps would still be useful without the python scripts. But the vascularity pack is not available anymore (at least not on RO).

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 3:54 PM

ChromeStar posted at 3:51PM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412639

Seems pretty interesting, the maps would still be useful without the python scripts. But the vascularity pack is not available anymore (at least not on RO).

Oh... sorry about that It's true that I had since... 2013... and I used it once or twice, then I forgot it

PhYl.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2021 at 7:41 PM

I really don't see the point of using the blue vein texture map for the face unless you are using extreme morphs or aging and very close-up portraitures. But that's the way the set was developed; unfortunately, it is no longer available although it is still sitting in my purchase logs.

Varnayrah ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 10:56 AM

ghostship2 posted at 10:56AM Sat, 13 February 2021 - #4412625

Varnayrah posted at 10:38AM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412564

what hair model is it? I may have it and can take a look.

Serenade hair by valea: https://www.daz3d.com/serenade-hair

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 1:20 PM

Vascularity can be seen in younger people too depending on their skin - mine (in real life) isn't even very light and still I have a lot of veins very visible everywhere and I'm 35. Thin skin, I guess.

You can see a bunch of veins on the character I'm making too - look closely above.

But yeah, they tend to become more visible as you grow older.

- - - - - - 

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 2:11 PM

@Varnayrah You can use a hair map that is straight up and down for all the maps except the skull cap. I made a custom map for the skull cap to bring the hair line down. This setup will give you real reflections/highlights from your HDRI or lights. serenade hair thing.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 5:03 PM

Y-Phil posted at 4:59PM Sat, 13 February 2021 - #4412630

hborre posted at 11:35AM Fri, 12 February 2021 - #4412461

I got inspired by ghostship's explanation for the tattoos, and I got this. I still have a prob. with her teeth and lacrimals. Here the vascularity bitmap have been used at max value for the sake of demonstration.

Sasha-Brook 1-Face-settings.jpg

Let me recommend using the Physical Surface node for your SuperFly, you have the option to use both Bump and Displacement maps, an option that you do not have readily available with PrincipledBSDF node.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 5:41 PM

With PrincipledBSDF, you would just connect your displacement to the root Cycles node instead (and your bump to the PrincipledBSDF node as shown). Still possible to use both if appropriate to do so.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2021 at 7:51 PM

The problem is the root node has no value control for displacement. Unlike Blender, Poser lacks a true displacement node, just a bump node.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.