Sun, May 26, 8:36 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, donnena Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 25 9:15 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Specular question

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 09 December 2020 at 3:45 PM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 2:20 AM

I seem to recall that in Superfly a specular map is not necessary according to bagginsbill. Good sir, did you say this or is this a garbled memory on my part?

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

NobbyC ( ) posted Thu, 10 December 2020 at 2:47 AM

Hi Boni, you still need a specular map. Usually, a surface is never evenly shiny, and with a "specular map" you indicate, which parts of the surface are more or less shiny. But instead of a "specular map" you can also use a "roughness map" for the glossy shader. I always use a "specular map" for all shaders, with skin shaders also a "highlights map" on a second gloss layer.

LG NobbC

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 10 December 2020 at 5:21 AM

Thanks Nobby! I will add this info to my tool set!

Boni

noobalien ( ) posted Thu, 10 December 2020 at 2:49 PM

In real life, all surfaces reflect light and the difference is how sharply or diffusely they do. Therefore, replacing "specular maps" with "roughness maps" will produce more accurate results in PBR render engines.

The PBR shader BB produced for Superfly discarded specular maps altogether, but Smith Micro nuked their Poser forum so the thread explaining the theory behind it is now lost.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 5:53 AM

noobalien! That is what I was thinking about! thank you. I'm not quite as crazy as I thought. That's a relief!

Boni

noobalien ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 11:33 AM

Often, the old specular map is a good starting point to make the roughness map. An easy way to do it is by inverting the image it in your preferred graphic editor, and then reducing the contrast until the higher and lower values match your desired threshold. Old specular maps usually have extreme 100% whites and blacks which are unrealistic for PBR

In my experience, it's advisable to save the new map as grayscale in sGray profile, and set its gamma correction to 1 inside Poser, so the value you see in the map is the value you get in the render

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 1:39 PM

👍

Boni

RAMWorks ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2020 at 9:32 AM
Online Now!

Yes, Spec maps are in my work flow. As Nooby mentioned without one you get too evenly flow of light over skin and such where there should be micro amounts of the surface broken up to give a more realistic effect!

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.