Sun, May 19, 3:03 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 19 1:07 am)

Subject: Question for the Render Guru's here

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 10:37 AM

Sorry. I'll sit down and rest and wait for you to catch up!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

quietrob ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 9:13 PM

@rokket.  Don't do that!  I'm learning more from this thread than I have in a long time.  While we wait, I want to know who at Marvel did you get to meet or was it handled by someone that no one would recognize?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 10:17 PM

I never made it to an interview. I was turned down by mail.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 10:38 PM

Oh yeah, and they kept my submissions.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 10:39 PM

Getting this thread back on track, how does this look?

file_38b3eff8baf56627478ec76a704e9b52.pn 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 31 July 2015 at 11:58 PM

Last tweak. Let me know and I will try to upload this in awhile.

file_202cb962ac59075b964b07152d234b70.pn 

file_8f53295a73878494e9bc8dd6c3c7104f.pn 

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 12:57 AM

I like this color scheme.  I came up with one similar to it.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 2:56 AM

Nice. A couple more votes and I will start working on packaging it up.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 4:09 AM

I like this one most of all, so what I intend to do is apply it to the suit and delete the rest of those mc6's from my library. I have to edit the mc6 to point to Runtime instead of to my documents folder, then I will upload it.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 4:55 AM

Uploaded and awaiting approval...

Now I am going to do absolutely nothing in the 3D realm for a few days other than tinker with UV mapping and maybe I will start messing with blender.

Check out this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfmD9XMrdYc 

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 4:57 AM

I hope the 62 people who have downloaded the suit are following this thread so they know to go get the better mc6...

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 4:58 AM · edited Sat, 01 August 2015 at 4:58 AM

Once you install it, just go to the materials room and apply "MOS"; it is what I named the new materials.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 3:18 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=75529

Here it is!!! Get it while its hot! 

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 6:02 PM

TY!

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 01 August 2015 at 6:06 PM

You are so welcome, sir!

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2015 at 11:09 PM

See the sun shining behind him? How do I duplicate that in Poser 10? I have been trying all morning and failing miserably.

file_4c5bde74a8f110656874902f07378009.jp

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 3:57 AM

Look at these pictures. They are setup exactly alike. The render settings are the same, lighting is exactly the same. The difference? The first one was rendered in Poser 9 and the next one in Poser 10.

I am going to delete the HDRI IBL since it washes out the whole scene, but I want to recreate that pic of Henry Cavil above. any clue how to do it?

file_a4a042cf4fd6bfb47701cbc8a1653ada.pnfile_0777d5c17d4066b82ab86dff8a46af6f.pn

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:16 AM · edited Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:18 AM

Use Carrara, it has a built in skylight with adjustable sun and moon. Lol. Just kidding. Can't you just use a backdrop with a high res sun and sky image and use the enviro sphere for lighting purposes? What I would do. Also are you sure it's not GC that's messing with your contrast? I think the Poser 10 lighting is less murky, more evenly lit.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:25 AM · edited Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:26 AM

That figure  just does not look like Superman to me, Ryan is it? Don't have him installed. Always thought he looked like a gym obsessed frog faced coke fiend actually. Is insulting a virtual inanimate object a violation of TOS? Christ....

Not dising your outfit btw.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:38 AM

Come to think of it, not all that crazy over the new Superman. Still kinda like Christopher Reeve's rendition. Superman was never high on my list though, always was a Hulk and Captain America fan as a kid. Good luck with the sky thingie Rokket.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:42 AM

Yeah, it's probably me messing up again. The GC and lighting is new to me, so I will have to figure it out as I go.

That's Tyler, basically a Ryan morph. He can look much better, I just never went after the face. The suit was designed for him because of his morph capability and weight mapping. One of the next things I do is go after another decent male character.

I have quite a number of gym obsessed frog faced coke fiends in my runtime, but he bends the best...

Back to Poser 10 and trying to learn the lighting. I have BB's envirosphere in there with a very bright HDRI, which is probably my first mistake. I need to find a better panoramic image to put in there. I had that same HDRI plugged into the IBL, mistake 2. And I had the settings on all of this cranked waaaaaaaay up. Mistake 3.

I am going to render the scene with no lights and see what comes of it. Then I can work from there. First, I need to change out the HDRI to something a bit softer lit.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:05 AM

I think the only significant difference you're going to find in the lighting is the effect of GC, it really amps up the range of lights and darks. Shadows are more modulated. I use it in Carrara and it does take some getting used to. You don't need to use as much light. I'm not sure how your scenes are looking to you from your end but from here the Poser 10 image looks much better, and I'm looking through a phone.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:11 AM

One of the nerve wracking things about digital media imagery and the web, all the little dances you have to do to make your images look as uniform as possible for other people and then worry about image sizes and sites adding further sloppy compression.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:20 AM

Strange you know, everyone is so obsessed with bending. For my scenes I just pose, weld, export to zbrush, sculpt and fix, and render. For animation I can understand but most of what I see about are stills. Sculpting tools are pretty much available to anyone now, not to mention subD.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:22 AM

I am on a gamma corrected screen, 17 in viewable laptop. The Poser 10 image does look better, but I want two things out of it. One, I want the effect of that pic I posted, and two, I want the details and the textures to come through in this image. So far, I am not there.

I have already figured out I need a prop of some sort to act as the sun. It needs to be an emitter, so I am working that out. I will get there. But I will stumble until I do.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:35 AM

I don't know about using an emitter for the effect you're trying to achieve,that's generally a more softbox type of thing or a more subtle environmental object lighting. The sun? Shrugs.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:40 AM

I'd go with an image plane backdrop, IDL, single infinite and a rim spot.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:47 AM

Looking at it again I'd say rely more on the ambient bounced light and the rim than anything else. Just my off the cuff, nowhere near render guru, observation.

Time for bed.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 7:33 AM

I am trying a variant of what you just suggested there. I'll see if it works or not.

Then I am going to give up. I don't like struggling with something that doesn't want to cooperate.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 11:47 AM

rokket look at the image you want to imitate. The sun is directly behind the figure and the light onto the figure comes from the side. If you want to copy this image do the same. Put an image that includes a visible sun on the sphere. Rotate sphere till sun is in place behind figure. Place a single infinite light illuminating from the side. Drop the intensity and render using IDL.

In the original image with the sun behind the figure, everything facing the camera would be in hard dark shadow with a halo around the MOS. A reflector would be used for fill to give the face enough light to see it in camera. You could do this in Poser with an emitter but the infinite light will work with a couple of bounces to even the lighting out.

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 3:41 PM

"Strange you know, everyone is so obsessed with bending. For my scenes I just pose, weld, export to zbrush, sculpt and fix, and render. For animation I can understand but most of what I see about are stills. Sculpting tools are pretty much available to anyone now, not to mention subD."

EC, Is that a normal workflow for most people or just you?  I really want to know.  I'm learning a lot just from reading this thread and looking up terms.

Pinging to resubscribe

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 3:57 PM

rokket look at the image you want to imitate. The sun is directly behind the figure and the light onto the figure comes from the side. If you want to copy this image do the same. Put an image that includes a visible sun on the sphere. Rotate sphere till sun is in place behind figure. Place a single infinite light illuminating from the side. Drop the intensity and render using IDL.

In the original image with the sun behind the figure, everything facing the camera would be in hard dark shadow with a halo around the MOS. A reflector would be used for fill to give the face enough light to see it in camera. You could do this in Poser with an emitter but the infinite light will work with a couple of bounces to even the lighting out.

Thanks! I'll give that a try later on. We had a power outage here, and the power just came back on. It gets really warm in my house when that happens.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 4:01 PM

EC, Is that a normal workflow for most people or just you?  I really want to know.  I'm learning a lot just from reading this thread and looking up terms.

Pinging to resubscribe

Some people work that way. Others will open the morph brush, and still others will do it all in post. It depends I guess on the individual and their knowledge level. There are a lot of people who don't or can't model. There are those who are amazing with Photoshop.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:05 PM

Hi, quietrob. There are others who work that way. Once everything is set up in a scene I find that taking all the .cr2's and converting to .obj lightens the load also. It does require some extra steps that I guess some wouldn't have the patience for. the .objs retain material groups and UVs. I usually dump the groups, regroup scene elements, and a bunch of other things. Just something I find enjoyable. Sometimes I weld and import whole scenes into wings for finer tuning and easier manipulation then export back to Poser for render. I'm trying to develop a workflow and comfort level with Carrara so at some point the trip outside the render environment can be narrowed further, substituting tools therein for ones elsewhere. You really miss modeling tools once you've acclimated yourself to their use for scene manipulation.

Hope that explained something. :)

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:18 PM

I think Blender would be an ideal final working environment for this type of thing, people seem to always get tripped up with .cr2 compatibility. I don't find blender's ui to be its greatest stumbling point at all but rather its slavish reliance on keyboard shortcuts. Guess I'll have to eventually come to terms with that, but I haven't played around with recent versions. As it is now the apps I'm using are fine for any image creation I want to do. 

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:19 PM

I think I got it. To set this image up, I added the hirez square behind him. The image is plugged into the ambient node and set to 1. On the envirosphere I changed the HSV node to a dark gray to emulate the shadowing effect. Since he's only actually hovering about a foot off the ground, I made the ground plane invisible and rotated the camera to appear to be looking up at him from a good distance. There is a single spot light behind him with a tight beam to add the light from the back. How did I do?

file_2723d092b63885e0d7c260cc007e8b9d.pn

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 5:21 PM

If this is any good, I am going to render it larger and put it in my gallery...

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 6:39 PM

I think Blender would be an ideal final working environment for this type of thing, people seem to always get tripped up with .cr2 compatibility. I don't find blender's ui to be its greatest stumbling point at all but rather its slavish reliance on keyboard shortcuts. Guess I'll have to eventually come to terms with that, but I haven't played around with recent versions. As it is now the apps I'm using are fine for any image creation I want to do. 

I first downloaded Blender after watching Big Buck Bunny, the Blender Foundation movie. I watched Sintel soon after that. I was amazed with the claim it was all done in Blender. It was the learning curve that stopped me dead in my tracks and I went after Wings instead. I have the latest and greatest Blender on my laptop, but so far I can only use a few of the utilities. I will learn it all eventually.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 7:37 PM
Site Admin

For your superman image, I think it looks ok, you got the light shining behind him like you wanted, but he's awfully dark, more so than in the sample picture. I'll have to bookmark this page. I was wanting to do that type of image.

As for using Blender, I was where you were just a short time ago. (Like June) I had it. I kept it upgraded, but every time I had to do anything, I kept running back to wings. Wings is good software. But I can't always figure out in my mind how to subdivide a box into Godzilla. (or what ever) So I took the plunge and started watching tutorials for blender and looking at the manual. And I can to some things in it. I even made a pair of boots.

Not too long ago you were asking about uvmapping and started using roadkill and how easy it is. Uvmapping in Blender is like like road kill, but much easier and faster. I remapped a dress in blender that hadn't turned out in roadkill. It took me less than an hour, where as in roadkill it took me all afternoon.

You might think about opening blender again.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

3DFineries ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2015 at 7:47 PM

He is a bit too dark.   I would do one of two things to lighten the image.  Either increase your spotlight OR create 1 infinite light to use as a fill light with no shadow. If you add a fill light, put it near the camera, pointing in the same direction of the camera, and adjust the brightness until you get a little more light coming from the front.  I'm not so sure that increasing the intensity of the spotlight will make it pop, so I'm leaning toward a fill light. :)

Have a creative day!

My Lil' Store

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2015 at 12:24 AM

I am leaning toward adjusting the amount of gray I added to the envirosphere. That was how I got it to darken. So that's how I will lighten it.

Thanks all.

@RedPhantom: yeah, Blender is looking better and better everyday. I downloaded a couple tutorials from YouTube that showed how to create a building and then destroy it, like what they did in the first Avengers and in Man of Steel, so that got my juices flowing. The same guy also did one on creating lava and an erupting volcano, and Darth Vader's helmet. Blender is looking real good right now. Once I go back to work and I have stretches of time with no internet, I'll get back into it (I've said that before, so we'll see if my lazy butt actually does it).

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2015 at 1:38 AM

I took the gray out of the HSV node on the envirosphere. Is this still too dark?

file_9dcb88e0137649590b755372b040afad.pn

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2015 at 2:54 AM

Added Jessi G2 to the scene. Let me know if this is passable...

file_c45147dee729311ef5b5c3003946c48f.pn

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 9:14 AM

No it's fine.  I like the godlike aspect that supers is giving off!

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 9:37 AM

I put that one to bed and started another costume that doesn't seem to be generating any interest. The thread is called Roxie Auditions for the role of Natasha Romanoff. I made a suit similar to what she wore in Age of Ultron for Roxie, but I guess no one wants it.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 1:09 PM · edited Tue, 11 August 2015 at 1:11 PM

I wouldn't go that far.  There is some interest, not everyone will post a message.  Make it available and I will pick it up.

BTW, have you considered a DareDevil costume?  There are so many heroes and villians out there, it is tough to select any particular costume and make it into a popular variant.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 1:19 PM

I haven't considered DareDevil yet. But if I did, which version of his costume? There is the traditional cowl with the horns, the version Affleck wore in that horrible movie, the version in black with the Zorro type mask, and the latest one that he is wearing on Netflicks. Lots to consider there.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 1:21 PM

And I wish for my own sanity that if there was interest, someone would post in that thread and just come out and say it: "Dude, rig that thing and upload it. I want it!"

Trivial, I know, but my ego is fragile...

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 9:34 PM

Does that mean you've postponing your batman outfit?  Right now I'm into villains.  There are a ton heroes outfits but very few villains save for Harley Quinn.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2015 at 10:39 PM

Does that mean you've postponing your batman outfit?  Right now I'm into villains.  There are a ton heroes outfits but very few villains save for Harley Quinn.

No, I'm still harping about the Black Widow outfit I made for Roxie. I need suggestions for villains. Who do you need?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.