Thu, May 16, 11:44 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 11:43 am)

Subject: Upgrade to Poser 10 Worth It?

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 11:38 AM · edited Thu, 11 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Hi All -

I've spent 45 mins looking through the forums to try and get some info on this, and can't locate much, so decided to start a new thread. Sorry if it's redundant.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading from Poser 9 to Poser 10. In SM's "What's New" listing for the software, they only list two things: Pixar Subdivisions and Improved Rendering Speed. Those two things don't seem worth the upgrade price. I'm wondering if there are other improvements/benefits/advantages/disadvantages people have realized in Poser 10 that aren't listed there.

I know these types of questions are hard to answer and vary according to individual needs and use of the application, but appreciate anyone's thoughts.

BTW, am on Windows7.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 11:47 AM

If you are planning to use Windows 8.1 in the near future, Poser 9 is not compatible, but 10 is...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

basicwiz ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 12:27 PM

Drastic improvements to the morph brush and the fitting room, both of which are about as significant as the lighting changes in 9.

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quote - If you are planning to use Windows 8.1 in the near future, Poser 9 is not compatible, but 10 is...

Whoa.  Can you expand on this?  What compatibility issues exist?  Do other older versions of Poser work?  Once Windows updates start breaking Poser, I begin to worry.  :scared:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 1:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=4111305

Windows 8.1 crashes Poser 9. (see link)

You need Poser 10/PP-2014 and the latest SRs to use it.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 1:25 PM

One more argument for staying with Win7...lol.

Laurie

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 3:01 PM

Quote - One more argument for staying with Win7...lol. Laurie

Wise words from the kitty sitting in the window.  I have 3 or 4 Win7Pro 64bit licenses sitting on my parts shelf.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Netherworks ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 4:07 PM

My thoughts are okay, fair enough, stick with Win 7.  What happens in the near future when systems are upgraded and it's next to impossible to get a computer without 8.1 installed?  Sure, roll back, right?  Not a walk in the park for a lot of folks.  Those of us who are tech heads are not going to have as many issues but you have to think of it as a whole.

You can say well that's just too bad but when everyone runs off to "Program X" because it works, it will be "too bad" for all of us.

As far as my own experiences:  Poser 7 works fine (assuming the original Pro based on 7 does as well).  PP 2010 and PP 2012 work fine if you use AIR (noted in that thread you guys linked).  P8 and P9 is sunk.

I try to look at these things as it impacts our "microcosm" as a whole.  Once people cannot use Poser, it's all going to start to unravel.  Maybe not today but tomorrow is never that far away.

OP: On the surface, not a huge leap.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/#compare

Morph Brush improvements are decent.  Raytraced Preview and Cartoon Modes are cool.  You get SubD.  You cannot paint weights on figures but can use products that have them.  No Fitting Room support.

IMHO, wait for a deal on PP 2014 or just save towards getting that.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 4:25 PM

Quote - In SM's "What's New" listing for the software, they only list two things: Pixar Subdivisions and Improved Rendering Speed.

Hmmm - have a look at this page:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/comparison.html

Gamma Correction

Bullet Physics (Soft and Rigid Body Dynamics)

Live Simulation

Comic Book Preview

Interactive Raytrace Preview

Material Compound Nodes

etc. etc. etc.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

meatSim ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 12:51 AM

Some of the more significant goodies are reserved for poser pro 2014 vs poser 10.  Still there are some nice improvements as noted by BB.  You wont get the fitting room however and I'm not sure about the new morph tools.  You also wont be able to edit weightmaps, but if you are a P9 user now then you possibly dont need to.

vilters ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 4:10 AM

The new morph tools are also in Poser 10. (Both Poser10 and PP2014 have them)
The fitting room is PP2014 only.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 7:42 AM

From my standpoint the addition of Gamma correction alone would be well worth the current $60.12 upgrade price, were I using Poser 9 ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2013 at 6:58 PM

only a couple hours to decide :) I'm on the fence too

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

fonpaolo ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2013 at 12:27 PM

I have upgraded only for the price, almost nothing of the new additions are attracting me and I was hoping that finally at least the 64 bit render engine would be added to P10 too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.