Thu, May 16, 1:28 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 1:08 pm)

Subject: PMD and PZ3 file extensions

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:01 PM · edited Thu, 09 May 2024 at 9:28 AM

Can anyone explain to me why sometimes Poser (9 in this case) does not create a .pmd file when I save a scene? I've been trying to figure out why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. "Save" vs. "Save As" doesn't seem to make a difference, and I can't identify a consistent difference in content that causes it. Does anyone know? Appreciate any advice.

If it matters, I'm using Windows version and Windows7

wimvdb ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:07 PM

If you have external binaries set to ON (in general preferences) it will create PMD files. If it has been set to Off, it will not create them

At least that it is how it is supposed to work and how it works for me

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:14 PM · edited Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:14 PM

thanks for the response wimvdb. 

That's what I was thinking, but I've got them turned on (always have), and it's still not creating the pmd. I tried turning them off, then recreated the scene and saved with a new file name, and still no pmd

Does it matter if I'm using content for which I've created an external morph (in zBrush)?

wimvdb ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:21 PM

I think it also depends in the content - if there is nothing modified (like morphs being added) and there are only obj references, it might not create a PMD file because there is not to put in there. Example is saving Andy in an empty scene.

But to be honest I have never sen that because I usually have something like V4 with morphs in the scene and then it will create the PMD file

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 4:26 PM

Very strange. These all have morphs applied. 

icprncss2 ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 7:07 PM

Are all the morphs obj's created in ZBrush?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 7:21 PM

Even with morphs created in a different program (Blacksmith3D in my case) Poser has always saved out a PMD. I use that for sharing the morphs as a PMD injection. So no PMDs are very strange.

Try, just for the fun of it, to turn off Use External Morphs. Close Poser. Turn it back on. Close and open and see if that helps. Perhaps Poser forgot it had PMDs on? It tends to forget all sorts of weird stuff from time to time L  

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 9:30 PM

Thanks TrekkieGirl. I have tried that, and still all over the board. I'm trying to do this for the same reason - sharing some morphs - and its driving me nuts.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with where I'm saving the morphs. Generally, I have them in a file outside my runtime. Where do you save them? In the geometry folder, or are they outside as well?

I'm also wondering if it has to do with saving the figure to my runtime with the morphs stored outside of it. Hmmmm....

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 9:42 PM

have you done a search of your drive to see if the pmd file is being created somewhere you didnt expect ?

icprncss2 ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 10:04 PM

If I save a morphed figure to the library, the pmd is saved by default to the same folder as the cr2.  By default, obj files are saved to the same folder. 

What happens if you check use external binary morph targets, load the scene and then save one of the morphed figures to the library?

When you load the scene with morphed figures are there any problems?  Does the scene load properly with all the morphs present?

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 10:33 PM

markschum, good call!

So here's the deal. When I loaded the morphs, if I saved the new figure to the figure library before I save the poser scene file, poser creates the pmd in the character folder of the library. If I save the scene before I save the figure, then it creates the pmd where the scene file is saved.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Can anyone recreate this?

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 11:03 PM

thats about what I would expect. The pz3 should have the path to the pmd file in it. You can open a pz3 in a text editor like wordpad and search for .pmd to find where they are.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yes that is general behaviour. Same with any .dyn files. They're stored whereever the pz3 is (I'd forgotten about that, and let me tell you, the .dyn files from Tiny's longhaired cats completely took over my desktop LOL to a point where I couldn't even see all the files there without opening the Desktop as a folder XD

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.