Mon, May 20, 9:33 PM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 20 5:34 pm)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Crystan ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 4:35 PM

file_491067.jpg

Good tip for removing the backgrounds. I have to admit, I hadn't considered using that method, and it's fairly straightforward and quick to do. I have Photoshop CS5, so the tecnhique is well known to me, I just never thought to apply it in such a way.

As for the why of ambient strength, I offer you the example above. This was rendered in Lux using point lights (yes, its an ugly method) at the locations of the fire and the ice. I had originally set them to be light emitters, but the results made the texture 'blown out' as I wanted them to be fairly bright. The glare was added in post using Photoshop, not via Lux. Those are Jepes' Elementz. Essentially flat planes with alpha maps and textures to mimic fantasy effects. Arguably, such things can be added in post, but occasionally I have them partially obscured by scenery and the like, so it's sometimes useful to keep them in the scene.

Moving on from my own bad habits though, there is one issue I hope that has an easy solution. I have a lot of Genesis outfits, and many of them use mesh smoothing. In Daz, the smoothing seems to behave as expected, but when it's converted to Lux I see visible poke-through. A quick web-search revealed a post on the Pret-A-3D site which indicated the problem has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find a solution for it.

Have you had the opportunity to speak with Daz and discover what's causing the oddity? If so, was a solution ever proposed? It'd be extremely useful to be able to use smoothing without worrying too much about how it translates.

Amethst25 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 6:14 PM

Quote - > Quote - So ... how do you use these, where are they installed? 

They are not "installed". You save them to disk anywhere you want. In the Reality light editor you add one of those files to any light that you want to turn into the light descibed by the IES file.

Cheers.

When you say light editor do you mean a file you have to open up?  Is there something in RUG about this?  

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

bobvan ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - So ... how do you use these, where are they installed? 

They are not "installed". You save them to disk anywhere you want. In the Reality light editor you add one of those files to any light that you want to turn into the light descibed by the IES file.

Cheers.

When you say light editor do you mean a file you have to open up?  Is there something in RUG about this?  

Yes its in the RUG

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 6:18 PM

Quote - As for the why of ambient strength, I offer you the example above. This was rendered in Lux using point lights (yes, its an ugly method) at the locations of the fire and the ice. I had originally set them to be light emitters, but the results made the texture 'blown out' as I wanted them to be fairly bright.

The blown out is simply a matter of having overexposed the scene. You need to to adjust the exposure for those lights and they will retain the amount of detail that you want. If the lower exposure makes the rest of the scene to dark that simply means that the contrast ratio that you have for your lighting is too high. In that case you need to add more ambient light so that everything is lit correctly for the exposure selected. 

Regarding the poke-through, that is something that has to do with how Studio passes the geometry to the plugins, there is nothing that I can do about it. It's in the hands of DAZ.

Cheers.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 6:20 PM

Quote - When you say light editor do you mean a file you have to open up?  Is there something in RUG about this?  

The Reality light editor is the Lights tab. You select the IES file for the light you want to modify.

Hope this helps.

Paolo

Amethst25 ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 7:40 PM

Quote - > Quote - When you say light editor do you mean a file you have to open up?  Is there something in RUG about this?  

The Reality light editor is the Lights tab. You select the IES file for the light you want to modify.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Paolo I found it :) 

My Rendo Gallery

My DA Gallery

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 9:53 PM

Quote - Good tip for removing the backgrounds. I have to admit, I hadn't considered using that method, and it's fairly straightforward and quick to do. I have Photoshop CS5, so the tecnhique is well known to me, I just never thought to apply it in such a way.

As for the why of ambient strength, I offer you the example above. This was rendered in Lux using point lights (yes, its an ugly method) at the locations of the fire and the ice. I had originally set them to be light emitters, but the results made the texture 'blown out' as I wanted them to be fairly bright. The glare was added in post using Photoshop, not via Lux. Those are Jepes' Elementz. Essentially flat planes with alpha maps and textures to mimic fantasy effects. Arguably, such things can be added in post, but occasionally I have them partially obscured by scenery and the like, so it's sometimes useful to keep them in the scene.

Moving on from my own bad habits though, there is one issue I hope that has an easy solution. I have a lot of Genesis outfits, and many of them use mesh smoothing. In Daz, the smoothing seems to behave as expected, but when it's converted to Lux I see visible poke-through. A quick web-search revealed a post on the Pret-A-3D site which indicated the problem has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find a solution for it.

Have you had the opportunity to speak with Daz and discover what's causing the oddity? If so, was a solution ever proposed? It'd be extremely useful to be able to use smoothing without worrying too much about how it translates.

I did a simliar image awhile back. Used a small ball meshlight which gave me all the lighting I needed in the scene and then postworked the actual effect. Would be cool if it could all be done in Lux though.

as for the pokethru, only had it happen a couple of times and increasing the collision iterations fixed it

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

john3d ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:46 AM

file_491083.jpg

This is still a WIP, last week **lasserine** asked for a mermaid tail and this is what I have come up with so far. I have not tried rigging anything yet, so the poses are done with morphs. Next I have to figure out how to package it up, not looking forward to that :(

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:53 AM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:53 AM

@ FMSCDesign

Very kewl! You gave me an idea! :)

@ John

Lookin' good! Yeah, your name was the only one I could think of when Lasserine asked "who can make me a mermaid tail" ..but she already got your name from others before I gave it to her..

You must love us all.. grins

john3d ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 4:18 AM

@ John

Lookin' good! Yeah, your name was the only one I could think of when Lasserine asked "who can make me a mermaid tail" ..but she already got your name from others before I gave it to her..

You must love us all.. grins

Thank you Callad, how should I put it - Doc is a friendly little devil :) If I can help, I will always make time.

When you came up with the lighting technique you gave me an idea for a render scene (basically a upright cylinder with a rounded top), I used it for the above render and it gave me an eff reading of 5000+. No idea what it means but 5000 % eff sounds good :)

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 4:56 AM

The lighting is very good in your image! Care to share a screen shot with the setup?

...pretty please? :closedeyes:

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 5:06 AM

Attached Link: SecondSkin mini-tut

Earlier this week I said I would make a mini-tut to show how to adjust the glossiness of second skin materials.

Well Bob, here it is..

This is an easy way so results may vary.. In my example I lost the pure 'red'. I am pretty sure that can be refined but I just went for the 'quick fix' :P

SecondSkin Mini-tut

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 5:08 AM

..and here is the Reality render..

Example

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:03 AM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:07 AM

Can someone help me please?

Somehow the Reality_scene data does not get loaded when I merge a scene into an existing scene.

Here is what happens:

I save  scene-1 in DUF format.

I load this scene as 'new scene' and everthing is fine, reality data present as it should be.

Now I create another scene and merge scene-1 into it.

Now the Reality_data of scene-1 isn't loaded at all, only the reality_data of my first scene is present.

What am I doing wrong here?

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:18 AM

If I remember correctly, the only time when it doesn't load the Reality settings from the saved scene file, is when the scene you are merging it into, contains the same objects, props, etc. Saving a scene as a subset doesn't preserve the Reality settings either.

My DA Gallery

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:23 AM

Quote - If I remember correctly, the only time when it doesn't load the Reality settings from the saved scene file, is when the scene you are merging it into, contains the same objects, props, etc. Saving a scene as a subset doesn't preserve the Reality settings either.

Oki, but my 'scene-1' only contained a meshlight and a camera, in the previous loaded scene there wasn't a meshlight at all. So now what? :)

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:42 AM

As I don't know how you created your scenes, this is how I do it (create the scenes that is).

1. New Scene. Add props, and set the Reality settings, etc. Save it in Reality.

2. Close and create New Scene. Add something, and merge the saved Scene.

As I can't attach scene files, download this test scene. Create a new scene and merge this test scene. The cube should be red in Reality :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57aw3b62unukw65/n9uq3KDG4l

My DA Gallery

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:51 AM

Quote - As I don't know how you created your scenes, this is how I do it (create the scenes that is).

1. New Scene. Add props, and set the Reality settings, etc. Save it in Reality.

2. Close and create New Scene. Add something, and merge the saved Scene.

As I can't attach scene files, download this test scene. Create a new scene and merge this test scene. The cube should be red in Reality :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/57aw3b62unukw65/n9uq3KDG4l

Thanks Anton :)

Nope.. white when merged, red when opened as New scene.. sigh must be something in my configuration then..  

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:57 AM

You are using the latest version?

My DA Gallery

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:59 AM

Quote - You are using the latest version?

I wonder..

DS 4.5.1.6 Pro Edition (64bit)

Reality 2.50.1.107

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:13 AM

Reality version is the latest. DS is now up to 4.5.1.56

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14562/

I'm pretty sure it should work with your version tho' :)

My DA Gallery

Reggie68 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:25 AM

Changed the material of the blade to glass with a diamond preset and a normal map. Also added vascularity maps to Penny's texture.

Used Callad's floor and back wall, 2 meshlights.

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:47 AM

Quote - > Quote - You are using the latest version?

I wonder..

DS 4.5.1.6 Pro Edition (64bit)

Reality 2.50.1.107

Windows 7 or 8? If it is 8, then it might be that :)

My DA Gallery

Crystan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:58 AM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:58 AM

Quote - I did a simliar image awhile back. Used a small ball meshlight which gave me all the lighting I needed in the scene and then postworked the actual effect. Would be cool if it could all be done in Lux though. as for the pokethru, only had it happen a couple of times and increasing the collision iterations fixed it

I tried that, but no matter how crazy I went with the collision iterations it would still render the same way in Lux. It got to the point where it was taking literally 5 minutes to calculate before I gave up trying. The problem is that it shows just fine in Daz Studio, so I have no visual reference to go by to say that it will work in Lux. I have to keep exporting after playing with settings to try and fix it. Since the majority of stuff I do is with Genesis at the moment which uses smoothing liberally, it's quite the conundrum.

Still if there's nothing that can be done, however frustrating it might be, then there's no point in crying over it. I appreciate the update though. Guess I'll just have to be extra careful which outfits I use with Reality for the time being. At least until Daz fix the issue.

john3d ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 7:58 AM

file_491091.jpg

> Quote - The lighting is very good in your image! Care to share a screen shot with the setup? > > ...pretty please? :closedeyes:

I've never been asked how I set a render, does that mean I'm getting better :)

A very simple light set-up, but the room I've made bounces the light back at the character etc (at least that is what I intended with it).

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 8:29 AM

Quote - Reality version is the latest. DS is now up to 4.5.1.56

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14562/

I'm pretty sure it should work with your version tho' :)

I've updated but the problem persists as you thought :)

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 8:31 AM

That sword looks amazing Reggie! And your girl looks her pretty self awf cuz!

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 8:33 AM

Quote - > Quote - I did a simliar image awhile back. Used a small ball meshlight which gave me all the lighting I needed in the scene and then postworked the actual effect. Would be cool if it could all be done in Lux though. as for the pokethru, only had it happen a couple of times and increasing the collision iterations fixed it

I tried that, but no matter how crazy I went with the collision iterations it would still render the same way in Lux. It got to the point where it was taking literally 5 minutes to calculate before I gave up trying. The problem is that it shows just fine in Daz Studio, so I have no visual reference to go by to say that it will work in Lux. I have to keep exporting after playing with settings to try and fix it. Since the majority of stuff I do is with Genesis at the moment which uses smoothing liberally, it's quite the conundrum.

Still if there's nothing that can be done, however frustrating it might be, then there's no point in crying over it. I appreciate the update though. Guess I'll just have to be extra careful which outfits I use with Reality for the time being. At least until Daz fix the issue.

Did you have displacement set to any of the items that got poked-through? If so: disable all displacement settings on those items (and also on the model that is doing the 'poking')

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 8:35 AM

Quote - > Quote - The lighting is very good in your image! Care to share a screen shot with the setup?

...pretty please? :closedeyes:

I've never been asked how I set a render, does that mean I'm getting better :)

A very simple light set-up, but the room I've made bounces the light back at the character etc (at least that is what I intended with it).

Ah! So the cylinder isn't a light, just a room. Thanks for the screenshot John!

Crystan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 9:12 AM

Quote - Did you have displacement set to any of the items that got poked-through? If so: disable all displacement settings on those items (and also on the model that is doing the 'poking')

No, it's all smoothing and no displacement at all. A bump map is the only depth given to the outfit. It's not an issue I have with all outfits, mercifully, but as a good number of my favorites are heavily meshsmoothed it's something I've learned to be wary about.

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quote - Or use an IES profile from a real world spotlight

Hmm, there is no IES option for a DAZ Spotlight.

My DA Gallery

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote - > Quote - Or use an IES profile from a real world spotlight

you mean in studio? You have to use the Reality light editor to enter the IES file.

Keep in mind that the IES data will take over the shape of the light, no matter what type of light you use. Apply it to a point light and it will still project a spotlight cone. I suggest to apply it to a mesh light. It will make it easier to point it to the right direction.

Paolo

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Or use an IES profile from a real world spotlight

you mean in studio? You have to use the Reality light editor to enter the IES file.

Keep in mind that the IES data will take over the shape of the light, no matter what type of light you use. Apply it to a point light and it will still project a spotlight cone. I suggest to apply it to a mesh light. It will make it easier to point it to the right direction.

In Reality light editor itself. There is for meshlights, but not Spotlight.

My DA Gallery

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 10:32 AM
Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 11:16 AM

Quote - Because spotlights in Lux don't support IES files. 

My apologies :) I read the posts wrong.

My DA Gallery

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:12 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote - Earlier this week I said I would make a mini-tut to show how to adjust the glossiness of second skin materials.

Well Bob, here it is..

This is an easy way so results may vary.. In my example I lost the pure 'red'. I am pretty sure that can be refined but I just went for the 'quick fix' :P

SecondSkin Mini-tut

Prolem is the image does not expand that small its really hard to read anything

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:14 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: 3 spots on Justine

A quick test with 3 meshlights using an IES file on each one. (DSP7-P100C-SP.IES) Now the problem is to point the 'hotspots' right.

Therefore I have parented a camera to each meshlight. Now I could look through the 'mesh-cam' but I had to reposition the meshlight using the translate sliders.

It would have been easier to parent the meshlight to the camera, but then the meshlight isn't recognized by Reality anymore. (Must find a way to seduce Paolo into making this possible..)

An alternative way is to parent the meshlight to the camera, position the camera, then unparent the meshlight before calling Reality.

Slightly see-through nudity so I had to check 'Nudity'.

3 spots on Justine with .IES file applied

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote - Prolem is the image does not expand that small its really hard to read anything

Bob, go back to my original post, then use the link provided above the text I wrote.

Then the image will open in a new window, there you can click it to maximize.

:)

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:44 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - Prolem is the image does not expand that small its really hard to read anything

Bob, go back to my original post, then use the link provided above the text I wrote.

Then the image will open in a new window, there you can click it to maximize.

:)

Nice rendner BTW

Doh! Got it any thanks :)))

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:45 PM

Attached Link: http://bobvan.deviantart.com/#/d5sxa4o

file_491093.jpg

Love love love what Lux did with this set

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quote - It would have been easier to parent the meshlight to the camera, but then the meshlight isn't recognized by Reality anymore. (Must find a way to seduce Paolo into making this possible..)

I finished yesterday to add supoort for IES files with spots in Reality 3. You use the spot in Poser as usual and then select an IES file in Reality. Even though Lux doesn't support IES files for spots Reality operates its own magic bahind the scenes :). No need to oarent anything, just use spots as usual. Of course the same will be available for the Studio version.

Cheers.

Paolo

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:47 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:48 PM

Attached Link: http://bobvan.deviantart.com/#/d5sxa5g

file_491094.jpg

Just sum more of my madness

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:49 PM
bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:50 PM

Attached Link: http://bobvan.deviantart.com/#/d5sx9z7

file_491096.jpg

The bolder film responses work well with sunlight

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:52 PM

Attached Link: http://bobvan.deviantart.com/#/d5sx9wn

file_491097.jpg

last for now......

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:54 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 12:55 PM

Quote - > Quote - It would have been easier to parent the meshlight to the camera, but then the meshlight isn't recognized by Reality anymore. (Must find a way to seduce Paolo into making this possible..)

I finished yesterday to add supoort for IES files with spots in Reality 3. You use the spot in Poser as usual and then select an IES file in Reality. Even though Lux doesn't support IES files for spots Reality operates its own magic bahind the scenes :). No need to oarent anything, just use spots as usual. Of course the same will be available for the Studio version.

Cheers.

Ah! That IS good news!

Since I don't use Poser (I have bought it years ago, but it drove me nuts.. I consider every Poser user to be a total genius) I will have to wait until R3 is available for DS.

Patience is a virtue (they say..)

callad ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 1:00 PM

Nice series Bob! Love the warm colors used.

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 1:13 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2013 at 1:17 PM

Quote - Nice series Bob! Love the warm colors used.

Thanks like I said above LOVE what lux did with this set

Edit and I am with Paolo regarding rendering times. I have cranked out what I consider to be 13 quality renders since Friday and well over a thousand renders coming up on a year.

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 1:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - It would have been easier to parent the meshlight to the camera, but then the meshlight isn't recognized by Reality anymore. (Must find a way to seduce Paolo into making this possible..)

Cheers.

Ah! That IS good news!

Since I don't use Poser (I have bought it years ago, but it drove me nuts.. I consider every Poser user to be a total genius) I will have to wait until R3 is available for DS.

Patience is a virtue (they say..)

Since I now understand Reality I am looking forward to 3 as well...

bobvan ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:48 PM

Forgot to metion the Film Response is Kodack Gold 100

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.