Sat, May 18, 4:48 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 17 11:16 pm)

Subject: I can't get my picture right

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 12 April 2010 at 8:55 PM

that would be okay for one nice scene but i am trying to make a comic with 1000s of panels.
love esther 

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:04 AM

Quote -  Okay, started reading that thread BB, and here is a rare and probably very scary insight into the mind of esther.  ARe you ready?
I look at that stuff and think, but surely I'm not going to be fiddling with material nodes.  There are hundreds of materials in my scene (well maybe not hundreds but a hell of a lot).  I can't go changing them all.  They should be okay when I buy my stuff from rendero and daz.  even if I wanted to change them there are too many of them.
Love esther

Hmmmm interesting. I sort-of thought the main reason to need matmatic and VSS (not the PR3 shader, the tool) would be to GC stuff, but you have Poser Pro 2010 so no... but you may have come up with a reason to perhaps look into this, Esther.

Believe me, Python is FUN!

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:09 AM

I stay away because there is a remote possibility I could get hooked and stop making any pictures including those with fuzzy lighting and long render settings.
Love esther

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:21 AM

Quote - @BB, would the discrepancy in render Gc and monitor Gc make a difference?

(I'm not BB, but...)
It would make no difference to the render output. The only difference it would make is to display things slightly brighter on Esther's own screen (if she's using 1.8) than on ours (using 2.2).

Esther, as a matter of interest, are you on Snow Leopard? If so, your default display gamma setting is already 2.2.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:28 AM

yes - i'm on snow leopard.  are u saying i should leave it as 1?  it doesn't look as good that way.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:47 AM

No, don't change the render GC setting at all, 2.2 is 'correct'.

I meant the OS X default gamma setting. It's in your Mac System Preferences, Display.

With Snow Leopard it is already set to 2.2, so you don't need to change anything at all. If you were on Leopard or before I would have suggested changing it to 2.2, as I did when I was on Tiger.

Conclusion - you can completely ignore this subject!

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:52 AM

I'm good at that.  thanks.  panic over.
Love esther

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 13 April 2010 at 5:56 AM

At least, that is one variable out of the equation.  Thanks Isao.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 10:12 PM

thankyou everyone. I really appreciate all the help.  It's kind of clicked together for me to a certain extent and my poser happiness has really increased.  There is one small thing.  To put the lights where I want them to be is sometimes tricky because i have some trouble seeing them in my scene in preview mode at times.  You know the actual lights themselves (not the lighting).
(also I wish I could see them all at once better too)
Do you guys make your lights bigger eg 500% to help find them in your scenes, or how do you go about seeing them to place them?
BB is right. If graphic artists knew what they could do with this program they would be amazed.
Love esther

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 10:52 PM

If you are referring to point lights, there are 2 methods that work for me.  Increasing it's size works quite well.  The other method I use is alternating top, sides and main cameras to spot and move the lights.  That has helped me tremedously when place point lights for torches.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 18 April 2010 at 10:58 PM

ah yes, I have started doing that.  
One thing I find really useful in vue, is whenever an object is selected and then I click on create light, that is where the light appears.  so I often have it on camera, then click create light then just move the light a little back behind the camera.
I find manipulating lights  a lot easier in vue.
Love esther

Jeff_Kraschinski ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2010 at 3:28 PM

BB, You just made my year with this light meter tool!

Combine it with EXR output and the ability to further tweak the gamma and such as a 32bit channel image in Photoshop, and it is indeed good times!

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2010 at 6:35 PM

Sometimes, when I use Gamma Correction, the displacement maps get distorted. On a face, for example, it looks like the character is emaciated and the skin in shrinking in. Is there any way around that? I stopped using GC for this reason.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2010 at 7:32 PM

Displacement, bump, transparency maps must be Gc'ed at a value of 1.  In both versions of PoserPro, you need to change this value in the material room's texture manager.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 29 June 2010 at 8:08 PM

semidieu may have a python script that will turn all your transparency maps, bumps and displacement to 1 for a whole scene all in one hit.
Love esther

Dizzi ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 2:23 AM

Poser Pro comes with a script to set GC values for images connected to certain input types (Displacement, Bump, Transparency)... It's in the scripts menu.
If you want a version with less clicking for Poser Pro 2010, check out my freestuff.

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 30 June 2010 at 2:32 AM

Just spotted your scales checkbox.  exactly what I need - thanks!  You make some great scripts!!
You should sell them.
Love esther

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2011 at 3:59 PM

BB, earlier in this thread you showed a room.  I loved it, I'm looking for a collection of rooms I customize, is there such a thing?  Rooms like what you have.  I haven't been too pleased with most of the rooms I've found in free stuff.  I also mean the room from the "lay a floor" thread as well.

Thanks

Boni

Hope your clients wine and dine you to the hilt! 

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2011 at 5:11 PM

Boni,

As with the other 100 interesting things I started, I never finished!

I developed some Python scripts to generate room geometry directly in Poser, from a textual description. For example, to make a wall with two windows and a door, I type:

2---w---w---d---

Each hyphen is a section of wall of some distance that is configurable. The "2" means 2 feet.

A letter indicates some feature found in the wall at that point. "w" is window, "d' is door. I also made "f" for French doors (glass panes, two doors), and 'a' for an doorway (no door) with a circular arch at the top.

Corners are made by turning left or right ( < or > )and then continuing with another wall section. There are a few other commands to deal with producing floors and ceilings. Everything is automatically UV mapped. Wall junctures automatically continue UV values so that wallpaper goes from wall to wall without a seam.

I was at the point where I was building door knobs and hinges as individual objects, but had not yet incorporated those into the room builder. And I found a few glitches in IDL that I need to deal with by inserting additional polygons here and there to block some of the light leaks.

If you are OK with some of the rooms as is (sans hardware) I could post some. They're easy to make, although this monster was not so easy:

This is a reasonable approximation of my actual house, first floor. What is set up here as a dining area is actually my kitchen.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 24 May 2011 at 5:32 PM · edited Tue, 24 May 2011 at 5:32 PM

file_469130.jpg

I would be interested! I would like to see your materials for wall paints, door and floor mouldings, stucco. I have been using a variation of Ajax's Santa Fe paint for interior walls and it's not always satisfactory to me. I know I have seen various door handles and fixtures around on the Net. A friend of mine is learning some Hexagon, maybe she'd try door handles, I don't know, but I don't think fixtures would be a problem.

Attached is one of my interior images (unposted as of yet). Its not a complete room, there's actually only two walls, but it uses the variant of the Ajax Santa Fe on it.

P.S. My friend Talisman018 did the champagne glass for me as one of her learning excersizes.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.