Fri, May 17, 3:08 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 17 2:35 am)

Subject: New Tutorial: Using Google 3D Warehouse

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 09 April 2009 at 11:33 PM · edited Mon, 29 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Hi all,

I've created a new video tutorial which walks through the process of importing 3D objects from Google 3D Warehouse using the free version of SketchUp 7 and a free OBJ export plugin, into Vue 7 xStream, Infinite and Complete.

For more info, check out:
http://blog.chipp.com/2009/04/converting-from-sketchup-7-to-vue.html

sirenia ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 8:59 AM

Does not seem to work on Mac OS X.
I downloaded Sketchup, installed it and added the plug-in but Sketchup won't recognize it.

Also in Vue7inf when i try to import as collada, Vue totally crashes on me :-(

Society failed to tolerate me...

... and i have failed to tolerate society

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 11:57 AM

Did you try installing both plugins or just the one?

sirenia ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 3:58 AM

Just the one you referred about.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 4:00 AM

Check out the video. Try the other plugin. It might work for you.

sirenia ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 4:21 AM

Nope does nothing :-(
It does not show on the toolbar at all. You have 'Plugins' located between 'Window' and 'Help' but my version does not show that at all.

Too bad because i've seen some very good models on google warehouse.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 11 April 2009 at 7:20 PM

I just installed a fresh copy of SketchUp 7 on my MacBook and the plugin loads and runs just fine. Are you sure you know how to install a SketchUp plugin on Macs? Are you sure you're using the correct plugin?

sirenia ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 5:14 AM

Yes, i downloaded the ones you mentioned.
I'm on a Power Mac G5 with OS X 10.4.9 and i clicked on the Sketchup App, selected 'show package content' and placed the plugins in the plugin folder.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 1:02 PM

Oh, so you're not using one of the newer intel Macs? Sorry, can't help you there as I don't even know if the Ruby plugins run on it. I sorta think not.

sirenia ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 1:13 PM

Oh well, thanks anyway :-)
Yes still an 'older' Mac but still happy with that and not planning on an upgrade yet.

Maybe someday :-)

chippwalters ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 1:21 PM

I know you're probably a died in the wool Mac guy (I was too a long time ago). You'd be surprised how much a Vista computer you can have for under a grand. I suspect it would run Vue close to a magnitude (10x) faster than what you have now. And, one of the best things about e-on (and least noticed) is the fact if you own a license to Vue, you can run it on any platform they support. Try doing that with SketchUp (you can't).

Anyway, I'm sure times are tough, but it's a thought as you make your plans on someday moving forward.

best,
Chipp

sirenia ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 4:35 AM

Yeah so true about a total Mac guy :-)
I must say in the past i did consider buying a regular PC, also for Geo Control and World Machine... but... i'm also a person who can't let go of all the stuff i have ever bought (for example i still have a G4 with Pro-Tools 5.2.1 running for my music productions)

And as i am getting older i grew this habit of using everything until it dies LOL !

The same goes for computers and software, as far as Poser goes, i have bought so much stuff that i do not remember what it is that i have and what not.

Bottom line for me these days is: when it does not work with the stuff i currently have, than that 's too bad and i will force myself to await the future :-)

Wim

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 18 April 2009 at 9:14 PM

"jects from Google 3D Warehouse"

ARe these models free for commercial use without needing to credit anyone?
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.