Fri, Jun 14, 6:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 13 12:32 am)

Subject: Model (OBJ) Importing Problems

jfike ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 5:23 PM · edited Wed, 11 October 2023 at 9:20 PM

Hi -- new here to Vue 6 Infinite.  I've been trying to import several Truespace 6.6 models (in .obj or .cob format) into Vue and get the old "error ... program has to end" error.  The import bar gets to near 100% each time this happens.  Those same models load fine into Bryce 6, Lightwave 9, UVmapper Pro.

I'm downloading the latest Vue Infinite patch (I'm on dial-up, so it hasn't completed yet.)  Is there any chance that patch will help or is there something Vue doesn't like in  the .obj format?

[edit] Forgot to add winXP x64, AMD 4800+, ATI 1900 XTX, and 4GB system memory.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 5:47 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 5:49 PM

Vue is fine with OBJ - there is still a memory leak regarding texture maps(new update) - so this could be the root of your problem, also it might be too poly heavy for Vue ATM.  They are still working this out.

It shouldn't be too long before all is  fixed up :)

jfike ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:19 PM

I watched the task manager and never saw the memory usage go above 600mb.  And this happens with a blank scene -- fresh start of Vue.

Anyway, I will import it into Lightwave or Blender, make a small change, and then export it again as an obj and see what Vue does.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:21 PM

Good luck :)

impish ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:09 PM

There was a problem (now fixed for me) with some obj files that I worked through with e-on's tech.  The software was putting spurious extra, data into the obj file that caused vue to crash.  I'd suggest you should first try the patch (as it should have the fix in it).  If that doesn't allow you to import it you probably need to contact e-on's tech support and if you can let them have your objects hopefully they'll be able to find out what is causing the problem with Vue.

While e-on were looking into the proble I found I could work round it by loading the obj into Cinema 4d which had a more forgiving importer and saving it out as an obj which C4D removed the bad data from  that I then loaded into Vue without any problems.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

jfike ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 8:02 PM

Thanks Mark,

I'll give that a try when I get back to the desktop (this little laptop isn't much good for any type of 3D graphics.).  The patch download finished, so I'll try the patch first.

I've also had good luck using UVmapper Pro to rewrite the OBJ file.  I have several programs that I can do this with.  Just a little surprised these models I've used for a year or so in other applications failed.

Jerry

forester ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:31 PM · edited Wed, 21 March 2007 at 10:34 PM

jfike, I have been loading TS 6.6 models steadily into both the pre-release and into the final with no problem for the last few months. (Am only going into this because I don't think there are that many other TS'rs here. So, can we discuss this a little more?) My TS models have not had IK or any features like that: they are just straight up *.cobs, but all have *.jpg textures, and lots of them with lots of exotic and conventional UV mapping. Are you using *.tif or *.tga for textures, by any chance? (Am asking because if you have all channels going with those texture formats, they will be about 7 to 9 times larger than an equivalent *.jpg.) I did experience a problem when I used the LUUV plugin, but I was able to trace that to the plugin. If I use Deep Exploration to convert a *.cob to an *.obj, I've been able to get that form of *.obj into Vue. (I had some other problems with the LUUV plugin, starting a few months back, so I don't use it any longer.) Do you want to e-mail me one of your *.cobs and let me try getting it into Vue on my machine? If so, e-mail me at forester@mountainflight.us

jfike ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 11:35 AM

forester,

Thanks for the response.  I built the models for Brcye at the time with the intention of texturing them in Brcye, which I did.  I found I had to glue the parts together in TS to get the ungroup capability in Bryce (to do the texturing.)

Yes, I did use the luvv plugin to export to obj.

I found out this morning I can load the .cob models (I saved a cob version of each model while in TS) into TS and export as a 3ds and Vue would import the model just fine.

I've migrated to Lightwave 9 since I wanted to  use a 64 bit application on my x64 system and wasn't sure I wanted to invest more money into TS.

forester ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 12:23 PM

OK, I understand. I've added to my toolkit also - but Maya in my case. Lightwave is a pretty admirable product; you have good judgment. Would have gone with that one also, but Maya offered NURBS as well.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.