Mon, May 6, 8:27 AM CDT

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 05 9:32 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the Marketplace Wishing Well Forum, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 9:44 AM

file_357053.JPG

Spider looks quite handy to have around. Wher ecan I get one?Jeavans your approach to the bag sounds odd. I woudl have just gone with a cube subD and tweaked. I do more organic stuff and that is hwo to approach organic models. At least when you are box modeling.

Well a bit mroe doen on the Catdude. Did textures on his face UV mapped the whole dude and added a few lottle details.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 9:49 AM

Cat dude's looking good, looks like he could be lined up for rigging and animation...

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 10:36 AM

Quote - Jeavans your approach to the bag sounds odd. I woudl have just gone with a cube subD and tweaked. I do more organic stuff and that is hwo to approach organic models. At least when you are box modeling.

Yeah, I really regret the way I did it. I started at the top and worked my way down, modeling all the little bits of hardware first. I have a lot more experience modeling things with precise edges than I do more organic stuff, and I guess I took the easy way out, then boxed myself into a corner, so to speak. 😄

Captain Jack

Mikewave ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 10:45 AM

file_357055.jpg

Here are some of the things i'm currently struggling with... Some cool wips in this thread!!! Nice to see what you guys are working on...

Coming soon

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 11:20 AM

file_357057.gif

My current modeling project is a pair of slippers. I started by making a circle (extracted the top off of a cylinder in Wings), then moving the points to match the outline of a shoe sole. I saved this for future reference (I've already got a second request for a different pair of slippers), then I extruded it a couple of times to give the sole some thickness. Then, I immediately begin to make the same mistake I made on my mailbag, extruding the front half of the sole out and trying to tweak it as I went. Attempting to learn from my mistake, I deleted those faces, mae a quarter sphere for the top part, mated it onto the sole, then began using tweak mode to sculpt it to fit the reference foot.

My wrist is now terribly sore (I gotta get a new chair, it puts my elbow below the mouse) but the result look much better, and I'm having a much easier time getting my polys to behave themselves. 😄

Captain Jack

Dann-O ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 6:36 AM

file_357135.JPG

Got the cat dude textured have to pose him for a render. I am working on some other elements for the render I will add one or two things to him too before the final render.

I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 8:34 AM

file_357289.jpg

I've finished the spray bottle...  Now for something else...  A sci-fi vehicle.

Top perspective view is drawn over with OpenCanvas. (Showing what my next plans are.) Otherwise, it's just Wings3D modeling at the moment.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 1:04 AM

file_357342.JPG

Markshum the robot looks good. The other things look like they coudl be good but the pics are small. great stuff. Paulis 75 kind of getting an Incredables look going there very cool. (love that film) anyways working on  one of his mates a amphibioid dude and have a finsihed render with the bird and the cat dude in my gallery. Have a few small models in the process too. A sailboat and a interior set. My first love is doing character stuff so that is what I am posting.

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 1:16 AM

Nothing to show this time, but as for what I am doing: The battlestar Enterprise continues to advance SLOWLY. I have a serious brain freeze on what type of neck I want. Conny or Sov. But I'll sort that out.

At Scifi-Meshes a thread has me thinking hard. A steampunk starship. I am thinking about a serious rivets and girder Enterprise. Steam powered plasma engines. Yee Har.

I have a goth modelling comp that is causing grief. I am doing a 'Queen of the Damned'. It isn't pretty. I did one before using renders and lot of post work. This one has to be ALL modelled.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 2:18 PM

Lot of impressive work all around!!!
Sorry I didn't do it justice with comments, I was burried in a project that drove me crazy and sapped all my mental energy last week... eh.

I was wondering of any of you keep an idea sketchbook?
I tend to see things I might want to model or that give me ideas just about everywhere (thanks to ADD i suppose). I keep a lot of them in a sketchbook where I quickly jot something down, or a sketch it out, or glue a magazine clipping of a picture or a photo reference or whatever helps me remember the idea. Sometimes I print out something I already rendered, and jot down the changes I'd like to make to it...

When I get in an ocassional creative block, I go and thumb through the sketchbooks. I probably have 5-6 full sketchbooks by now.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 2:28 PM

Quote - ... Sorry I didn't do it justice with comments, I was burried in a project that drove me crazy and sapped all my mental energy last week... eh.

Fortunately, in my case, that isn't a long drive, so my work never interferes too much with my on-line activities... 😄

Quote - I was wondering of any of you keep an idea sketchbook?

I'm terribly impulsive, and I'm rarely too far away from a computer. When I get an idea for soemthing, I usually whip out a quick model right away. I do carry a 2GB travel drive with me all the time, and I plug it into to any computer I'm working at, and I keep almost all of my models with me that way.

I used to keep a notebook for whole scenes I'd like to create in Poser, but that well kinda dried up when I started modeling, that being my (current) obsession. 😄

Captain Jack

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 2:58 PM

I do the sketchbook thingie too ConnieKat ( I have ADD as well) and I find that it helps me to hang on to good ideas. Sometimes I'll import a model into Bryce in its early formative stages and do a quick render, print, and sketch in additional details on the paper as an overlay. I do quite a bit of research on any real-world object that I'm going to model, even if it's not going to be an exact model of any particular prototype. Oddly enough, I've found Ebay to be a great source of pictures for lots of different objects.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 3:10 PM

Now... there's an interesting mini-statistic. I also have ADD (I take Adderall for it). I know that a lot of creative people in various disciplines have the disorder... I wonder how many modelers have it? I doubt it's any kind of a pre-requisite, but I bet it helps when your brain is telling you that adding another 10,000 polygons to the model isn't going to make it take any longer to tweak... 😄

BTW, The first thing I do before I make a model is hit Google images for reference pics.

GregerE ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 3:13 PM

file_357470.jpg

Very cool thread! I've just finnished a girlfriend for my avatar. He needed one badly, and he's looking happy with it. My ongoing project is for the Rhino bi-monthly challenge, so I can't post it at this time. Rhinoceros 2.0 and Flamingo 1.0

Greger

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 3:16 PM

Very nice! And they're... er... well, anatomically correct, even. 😄 Seriously, good job on those, and very nice render.

GregerE ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 4:04 PM

Thank you, jevans69. Well, there's a chance we will see a lot of theese bots in the future. 😄 The Flamingo renderer is very good, but it took me some years to get to know it properly.

Greger

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:00 PM

Oooh, those are cute! 
Greger and Gregina?  :D

As for ADD... I think you have to have a mind that can think in 25.67 different directions all at once to be doing this kind of a thing.
I would die without a sketchbook. Like... what would I do while I'm doing the two-minute plop renders in bryce to test something... I mean other then post here and cruise google, ebay, flickr, corbis, getty, and other stock photo, cgi and 3d sites???? In between fidgeting and pacing around the house and petting my kitties LOL!
I almost drove off the road the other day trying to take a snapshot of something I 'had to capture...' eh...

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 1:45 AM

I tend to do a LOT of drawing. Any time I get an idea I'll scribble something down. Later I'll produce something a bit better and then add it to my Mount Everest sized pile of sketches. Working in a paper factory helps. Plenty of surfaces to start scribbling on.  

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 6:36 AM

Most of what I do is sketched out beforehand. I get a better idea of how to run the edgloops after I sketch something. I have reams aof sketches mos tof them get thrown out.

GregerE ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 6:49 AM

I tend to sketch if a modeling problem arise. The sketching nearly allways produce a solution. Also because I think differently when I'm sketching.

Greger

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 7:45 AM

file_357524.jpg

I'm trying to make another slipper... I'm trying to decide if I really need to model the fuzzies or if I can get away with maybe a dome shaped object over the upper part with a transparency map on it. It's going to become a prop in Poser, so I'm torn between having too high of a poly-count and making something that doesn't look realistic. Fun, nevertheless. 😄

Captain Jack

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 8:52 AM

Well if you are doing it for yourself then think of the level of detail needed for it. You can then decide what you can get away with. You can always do the sheets and transmap approach which will work better than making a mesh for it.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 3:04 PM

file_357560.gif

Gosh, to make a really nice fluff like that it would take a ton of poly's. Perhaps a combination of some poly's and some trans maps? You said a poser prop... how about poser hair, can something like that be done?

Here's a progress snippet from my 'wharf'. The texture is not the final one, I just picked one that was sort of close and put it there as a place holder.

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 9:25 PM

file_357578.JPG

Need a nice rope texture to make the warf look good. GergerE nice robots sort of my weak area  modeling robots.

Well more done on the Amphibidude. He is colored need to get soem more textures bump spec diffuse maps to bring it out and going to give him some gear to make him look authentic.

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 8:51 AM

Nice character Dann-o makes me think of Stingray! :)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 8:04 AM

file_357705.jpg

Here's mine.  A sort of low poly dragon that I'm detailling in zbrush.  All I have to do is figure out how to get my nodes working in lw9 and....well, that's the hard part.  I'm clueless.  Read the manual and it made it worse.

Dann-O ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 8:51 AM

file_357709.JPG

Looking good there Poppi. I don't have Zbrush or a video card taht can ahndle it. (at least my current card can't handle Hexagon so I guess it is out of the question) Did this dude for a challenge in the wings forum.

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 9:23 AM

Thanks, Dann-O....I like your woodpecker.  My computer won't do Hexagon, either....not sure why...but has no problem with anything else.  You might want to try the zb demo, just to see. 

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 11:25 PM

Awwwww, the woodpecker is just too cute!!!!!!!!!!!   Awesome job!  he's got that cuteness and mass appeal!

Dann-O ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 11:54 PM

Thanks connicat and poppi It is not an original concept thoug. Woody was quite popular in the 50's and 60's. So I tried to bring him into 3d did OK but I am not really fond of how I did the eyes. On the drawings they are very verticle and really something that does nto translate well into 3D. That was part of the challnge to me was trying to bring a 2D character into 3D.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 12:40 AM

file_357761.jpg

I thought I'd start up on my submarine again.  It's from a game.  I'm trying to make a hi-poly version of it.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 2:52 PM · edited Fri, 27 October 2006 at 2:55 PM

Very cool sub. I really like what you did with the texturing/color.
How do you like hexagon?
I just purchased 2.0, but didn't install it yet, since I read it's rather buggy. I hear 1.2 is much more stable.
Did you ever compare hexagon and zbrush?

oh, and for you z-brush users... I took couple items from my wharf model (editable meshes) and exported them from max into obj, brought them into zbrush, and they are all garbled... Any hints?

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 2:58 PM · edited Fri, 27 October 2006 at 3:00 PM

Are your normals ok before exporting to OBJ?

ZBrush 2 is a very solid modeler with excellent free downloadable and included tutorials.  The movie industry uses it a lot.  But of course it costs more.

Hexagon 2.1 is unstable for now.  I've gone back to 1.21 for modeling.  It has a better GUI than 2.1 as well.  I'm hoping DAZ makes things right again for Hex.

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 8:06 PM

I am curious can those of us who have 2.1 go a downgrade to 1.2 for us hexagon users. I think it woudl be nice.  Really been having stability problems with 2.1 and my vid card just can't handle it.I don't think Daz can fix hex soon. All the original programmers were fired and live overseas. So they will have to recode it from the ground up. Well I have been gettign into AC3D which is solid and stable wish it had a few more tools but hey I got it for free.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 8:40 PM

I think my normals are okay. The thing was modelled in 3dmax, converted to mesh. I don't think the normals ever had a chance to get goofed up. I'll take a closer look though (when I'm at the other computer).

I got hexagon for 39 bucks after discounts and promotions, fogured can't go wrong for that much... I like some of the lower end programs for quick and simple tasks, so I thought hex may fill that purpose, and be a backup app to zbrush... But I thought I'd check out what others say about it before I rush off instal it and get all frustrated...
Sounds like my time is better spent improving my zbrush skills.

Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 9:37 PM

file_357833.JPG

Well One thing about those sort of programs like Zbruch is that they like quads so you might want to check yoru mesh and see that is is all quads. (or at least mostly quads.) Try out Silo is is pretty cheap (109$) and really delivers on what was promised in Hexagon. It has mesh painging and modeling tools. A lot of the top organic modelers are using it. I don't have the cash for it but tried the demo and liked it a lot.

Here is what I am working on in AC3D. (won it in a contest ) Some cool features in the program but not suited for character modeling but I can make some cool mechanical stuff. It runs only 70$.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sat, 28 October 2006 at 9:53 PM

Emperor's layer (3dsmax8)

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sun, 29 October 2006 at 10:33 AM

err lair, there doesnt seem to be an edit button up there

Dann-O ( ) posted Mon, 30 October 2006 at 10:26 PM

file_358130.JPG

Well havign soem fun with AC3D. I made the beast a quickie in Wings and then imported him into AC3D and made soem hair. Very cool plug in the hair plug in for AC3D. Here is my first test.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 30 October 2006 at 10:29 PM

Attached Link: wire model

Here is a raygun made from junk parts:

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 30 October 2006 at 10:30 PM
Dann-O ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 10:10 PM

file_358461.JPG

Nice raygun There the render is very nice. Pretty dense polygon wise but that is what everyone does now. Here is a render experement for my lightning girl. I plan on swapping out the head. The head was an experement in makign heads a new way. Well I might go back to it soemtime but now I plan on swapping in an old head I made and makign hair and all for it.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 1:39 AM

Looking good Dann-O. I've got to start learning how to make character models, so I can stop using these 1/2 million poly Poser models :rolleyes:

I'm working on a dungeon set. Treasury room for a Thief to loot.
Have the shell done, no props in place yet.
About 40,000 polys. Less than half are in the render, so I'm guessing about 15,000 to 18,000 shown.

http://members.aol.com/dvlenk6/work/treasury.jpg

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 4:49 AM

file_358476.JPG

Nice room there.  Well Ms. Lightining  in her form here is about 125K polygons including the hair. the hair is close to half of that though. Poser models are up to 500K. Yikes. I like to model my own because I like to make more charactures than realistic people.

Turdmoe ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 6:18 PM · edited Sat, 04 November 2006 at 6:19 PM

My blog has what I'm working on
btw, very nice work everyone.

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 1:43 AM

Hey there can't get to your site from here. ( Not unusual I live in the PRC)

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:49 PM

An ATAT Walker, is for ingame, and havent created normal maps yet, also gotta model the canons yet.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 2:46 PM

Started working on normal maps in photoshop this weekened for my walker

Dann-O ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 5:46 PM

Nice work on the nomal maps. Are you posing this at sci fi meshes. They love this kind of thing.

Digital_Assassin ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:29 PM

never heard of em, may have to check it out :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.