Wed, May 15, 1:46 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 14 8:23 pm)

Subject: Car Headlights

arrow1 ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2023 at 5:11 PM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

How Do I make car headlights shine in Poser? I want to parent lights to the car and have them moving and shining with car moving along. Cheers

Custom built computer 128 gigs RAM,2 Terrabyte hard drive, NVIDIA RTX 3060 12 Gig, Intel i9, Dual Dell Screens, 0/S Windows 11, networked to a Special 12th Generation intel I9, RTX 3060 12 Gig, Windows 11,64 gigs RAM, Dual Phillips Screens, 2 Terrabyte SSD Hard Drive plus 1 Terrabyte Hard Drive,3rd Computer intel i7,64 gigs ram, Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GeForce 1660 Ti 6 Gig,1 Terrabyte Hard Drive, OS Windows 10 64 Bit Dual Samsung Syncmaster 226bw Screens.Plus Lenovo Laptop 64 Bit,12 gigs Ram.Intel i7 chip.Windows 10 Pro and Ultimate. 4 x 2 Terrabyte Hard Drives and 2 x 2 Terrabyte external USB Hard drives. All Posers from 4 to Poser 2010 and 2012, 2014. Poser 11 and 12, 13, Hexagon 2.5 64 Bit, Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Creative Production Suite. Adobe Photoshop CC 2024, Vue 10 and 10.5 Infinite Vue 11 14.5 Infinite plus Vue 15 and 16 Infinite, Vue 2023 and 2024, Plant Catologue, DAZ Studio 4.22, iClone 7 with 3DXchange and Character Creator 3, Nikon D3 Camera with several lenses.  Nikon Z 6 ii and Z5. 180-600mm lens, 24-70 mm lens with adapter.Just added 2x 2 Terrabyte portable hard drives.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 11 June 2023 at 8:27 AM

Some cars have lights with a reflector, in the case, a point light correctly place, with a perfectly reflective material on the reflector could make it.
In other cases, you may also add two spotlights.

In any case, I suggest that you scale down the lights.

If it's the turn signal or taillights, points lights will suffice.
For the front light, and if you are using Superfly, you may use a blackbody node to control the  kind of light: the more kelvin, the more blueish the result.

SIAcIzDgKTfRZschPnhqTVdZDZILR44dZE5DvIs5.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 11 June 2023 at 3:39 PM

Do the lights have their own material ? If so, can set to glow via super-ambient, dialled beyond 1.000. But, as I understand it, this route is deprecated in favour of setting 'emission' via Cycles. Also, 'super-ambient' seems to have a surface brightness limit. Cycles can be set bright enough to dazzle...

If 'lights' are a small or tiny portion of a mapped texture, you may need to set up a mask...

https://www.deviantart.com/nik-2213/art/Poser-glow-by-Super-Ambient-or-Cycles-Emission-909755263

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 11 June 2023 at 8:27 PM

NikKelly posted at 3:39 PM Sun, 11 June 2023 - #4467637

Do the lights have their own material ? If so, can set to glow via super-ambient, dialled beyond 1.000. But, as I understand it, this route is deprecated in favour of setting 'emission' via Cycles. Also, 'super-ambient' seems to have a surface brightness limit. Cycles can be set bright enough to dazzle...

If 'lights' are a small or tiny portion of a mapped texture, you may need to set up a mask...

https://www.deviantart.com/nik-2213/art/Poser-glow-by-Super-Ambient-or-Cycles-Emission-909755263

Are you referring to Super-ambient on the PoserSurface?  I see no such limitation, I can get the same dazzle as with the CyclesSurface node.  But it appears to me that the Emission node has built-in Inverse square that allows for light falloff with distance.  To overcome that you need to add a LightFalloff node especially if you want linear or constant light emission.

In terms of headlights, you need a light source with lightfalloff whether physically emitted or provided by an actual light.  But the OP has not elaborated if it's for firefly or superfly, and it would seem that the intent is to render an animation rather than a still image.

Anim8dtoon ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2023 at 3:30 PM
Forum Moderator

How about posting some renders of cars with the headlights on? I'd love to see what some of you Poser peeps come up with. Let's bring 'em on! 

DarthJ ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2023 at 1:58 AM

Do not adjust your screen, this is a dark render.   I made the render large so you will discern something. Simply added emission to the glass part of the headlights. Just a test.

jZ3HFBlcaoYmVFU0ZrQ4kAnBrKlNMpFAbXmLdCAh.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2023 at 9:32 AM · edited Mon, 10 July 2023 at 9:32 AM

Personally, if you want to recreate a scene as close to PBR as possible, you may need to address how your headlight shaders are designed.  If the vehicle has reflective components, glass, and mesh lighting to the headlight assembly, those will need to be changed.  The render below had a major overhaul of shaders using Vince Bagna Supershaders to convey a more realistic render.  I added a lightfalloff node to the mesh headlight bulbs for inverse square attenuation and headlight glass material to the glass portion.  Admittedly, I did use some denoising and bloom effect in PostFX.  thlzEdrExcDTjE8rFv7bDuGIXHua7HHICvNCsmIE.png

arrow1 ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2023 at 5:05 PM

Many thanks everyone. Is it possible to post the settings for the headlights? Cheers

Custom built computer 128 gigs RAM,2 Terrabyte hard drive, NVIDIA RTX 3060 12 Gig, Intel i9, Dual Dell Screens, 0/S Windows 11, networked to a Special 12th Generation intel I9, RTX 3060 12 Gig, Windows 11,64 gigs RAM, Dual Phillips Screens, 2 Terrabyte SSD Hard Drive plus 1 Terrabyte Hard Drive,3rd Computer intel i7,64 gigs ram, Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GeForce 1660 Ti 6 Gig,1 Terrabyte Hard Drive, OS Windows 10 64 Bit Dual Samsung Syncmaster 226bw Screens.Plus Lenovo Laptop 64 Bit,12 gigs Ram.Intel i7 chip.Windows 10 Pro and Ultimate. 4 x 2 Terrabyte Hard Drives and 2 x 2 Terrabyte external USB Hard drives. All Posers from 4 to Poser 2010 and 2012, 2014. Poser 11 and 12, 13, Hexagon 2.5 64 Bit, Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Creative Production Suite. Adobe Photoshop CC 2024, Vue 10 and 10.5 Infinite Vue 11 14.5 Infinite plus Vue 15 and 16 Infinite, Vue 2023 and 2024, Plant Catologue, DAZ Studio 4.22, iClone 7 with 3DXchange and Character Creator 3, Nikon D3 Camera with several lenses.  Nikon Z 6 ii and Z5. 180-600mm lens, 24-70 mm lens with adapter.Just added 2x 2 Terrabyte portable hard drives.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2023 at 10:07 AM · edited Wed, 12 July 2023 at 10:07 AM

I just reread your OP and you are primarily interested in adding parented point lights to the headlamps.  It's not impossible to do but it depends on the car model and rigging.  If the model is created with its own headlamp assembly, i.e., mesh bulb, reflector, and glass/plastic covering, then you would want to apply an emission to the mesh bulb and a very shiny, metallic look to the reflectors.  The covering would require either a plastic or glass shader just for effect.  On the other hand, if the model is fashioned generically without many materials' shader zones, then you will need to add those zones with Poser's Grouping Tool.  This will involve additional work because individual body parts will need to be isolated and selected for conversion to a new Material Zone and,then, new shaders added.  In the render below, the 1936 convertible was very generically modelled, it had very few Materials Zones and no mesh headlamps.  Using the Grouping Tool, I created the headlamp covering (glass) and inserted resized point lights in each headlight, making certain that there were no light leaks and that they fit just right.  The image below is a Superfly render with a little post-work to clean it up.

i0PGWVXPHqc0uH0q2JSzp9CUxPWd6y5DaqUS1omJ.png

As I mentioned before, everything depends on how the car was originally modeled and whether you need to make slight modifications to complete your scene.  Check your model and get back to us.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.