Sat, May 18, 9:58 PM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 17 8:36 am)

Subject: DAZ Studio & Genesis 8 Question:

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2020 at 8:48 AM ยท edited Sun, 31 March 2024 at 12:27 PM

Is Genesis 8 part of the default DAZ Studio download these days?

I was just trying to get a price for the base figure, and searched for "Genesis 8 Base" on the DAZ Store, but it doesn't show in the search results. I'm wondering if maybe it's included by default. I haven't downloaded or used DAZ Studio in quite a few years, so my apologies for not knowing this.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2020 at 9:43 AM
Site Admin

Yes, Genesis 1,2,3 and 8 are all part of the Daz Studio package.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo espaรฑol

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle franรงais

Mi parolas Esperanton. ฤˆu vi?

Can I read notes?ย  Hell, there ain't no notes to a banjo. You just play it.

(Anonymous banjo player c. 1850 when asked if he could read music)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2020 at 11:15 AM

Ditto

prixat ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2020 at 1:22 AM

They're labeled as various 'Starter Essentials' packs. I vaguely remember them being added to my downloads automatically when I first "purchased" DS and a new one is added whenever a new Genesis is launched.

regards
prixat

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2020 at 5:44 AM ยท edited Tue, 25 February 2020 at 5:49 AM

Thanks all, will get it downloaded today or tomorrow with a bit of luck!

I've been trying to catch up on DS through reading stuff here and there. Have to say I was unsuccessful in finding out why Genesis jumped from G3 to G8, and it seems pretty outrageous that DS still doesn't have a Morph Brush like Poser! On the plus side, it looks as if DS finally has a quality dynamics system in the form of dForce, so I'm really looking forward to playing with that.

To be honest, I really only intend to install DS so that I can use that new DAZtoBlender8 plugin by Mitchy3D, to export a Blender-ready Genesis figure, so that I can do everything else in Blender. It's a shame really, the decisions DAZ tend to make regards DS. It would be so much better and fairer if they had AMD's ProRender as the renderer (which uses both AMD and nVidia GPU cores).

If it had that (and a Morph Brush which I consider vital), I would have been tempted to learn DS properly, and actually use it!

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2020 at 8:08 AM

Retrowave posted at 8:06AM Tue, 25 February 2020 - #4381763

Thanks all, will get it downloaded today or tomorrow with a bit of luck!

I've been trying to catch up on DS through reading stuff here and there. Have to say I was unsuccessful in finding out why Genesis jumped from G3 to G8, and it seems pretty outrageous that DS still doesn't have a Morph Brush like Poser! On the plus side, it looks as if DS finally has a quality dynamics system in the form of dForce, so I'm really looking forward to playing with that.

To be honest, I really only intend to install DS so that I can use that new DAZtoBlender8 plugin by Mitchy3D, to export a Blender-ready Genesis figure, so that I can do everything else in Blender. It's a shame really, the decisions DAZ tend to make regards DS. It would be so much better and fairer if they had AMD's ProRender as the renderer (which uses both AMD and nVidia GPU cores).

If it had that (and a Morph Brush which I consider vital), I would have been tempted to learn DS properly, and actually use it! IIRC it is only about a 300MB download.

If you are going to be exporting your Daz figures to Blender (on windows) you have a world class set of sculpting tools that makes the little poser morph brush seem like a childs toy ?

And you also have access to the Radeon ProRender but you will have to manually convert your Daz figure materials as Prorender uses a completely different Uber shader from Daz studio.?

So it does not matter that DS has not these things to someone like myself who will never render a final animation from DS or Iclone's rubbish render engine for that matter.?

Also you have the option of using G3 ,or the older genesis figures, as they will be free in your Daz product library

However unless you become a Daz content creator and model your own clothing and morphs ( as I do..see pic) you are at the mercy of the Daz PA's and what they feel will sell ( female skimp wear etc) and they have largely abandoned G3, G1,G2

All Moot of course as that Blender plugin for Daz G8 is forcing you to use G8 ,and windows, anyway. ?

scaling.jpgSILOREMODELED.jpg

My website

YouTube Channel

Retrowave ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2020 at 12:33 PM ยท edited Tue, 25 February 2020 at 12:36 PM

I'm sure you love teasing me, Wolf, you know very well I'm aware of being able to sculpt in Blender ๐Ÿ˜

Check this out, my strange pipeline-loving friend:

• I have a newly built machine with Windows 10 Professional on it.
  • Windows 10 Professional was only installed to test the machine after I built it.
  • My OS of choice is Linux, so Linux is my main OS and will be in permanent use on my machine.

So here's the plan ...

• Install DAZ Studio while Windows 10 Professional is still installed.
  • Buy the official DAZ Body and Face morph packages for both Genesis 8 Male and Genesis 8 Female.
  • Buy the DAZtoBlender8 plugin.
  • Export Genesis 8 in its default state along with all morphs I purchased, using the DAZtoBlender8 plugin.
  • This will give me a Genesis 8 figure in Blender format that I will save to a folder called Genesis 8.
  • Copy that Genesis 8 figure folder to my Linux installation.
  • Erase Windows 10 Professional and DAZ Studio.

At that point I would no longer need DAZ Studio or Windows 10 Professional, and will be able to erase both. This is because I would have a Blender-format Genesis 8 figure saved to a folder and copied to my Linux installation where it can be loaded directly into Blender, complete with morph sliders, whenever I need it. All of the morph sliders will be available directly in Blender, and any clothing and lip-synch I need would be done in Blender directly on the figure. Any rendering and animation would of course also be done in Blender. And should I need to adjust any details not covered by all those morphs, I would just sculpt one directly in Blender, add it to the list of morph dials, and save out an updated version of the figure directly from Blender.

So you see, no need for pipelines of any kind, and no need for Windows of any kind either ๐Ÿ˜œ

It's different for you as you seem joined at the hip to lip-synch and stuff from iClone. That stuff doesn't bother me since all of that stuff can be done directly in Blender much more professionally. Therefore, no pipeline required in my case, as I prefer to do everything in Blender. The only reason I'm attracted to Genesis 8 is the convenience. It's a quality figure, and for the price of that plugin and a few morph packs, it means I get to play with a fully articulated Genesis 8 figure directly inside of Blender, fully rigged and with all morph dials present. As well as the official DAZ morphs, I'll probably pick-up Zev0's breast and buttock morphs along with maybe some musculature morph packs as well. The point is, at the end of the day, every morph I buy will be exported as a morph dial along with the figure, and once it's exported as a Blender-compatible figure, I no longer need anything other than my Linux OS and Blender.

Total cost, about a hundred quid, no pipeline needed and no Microsoft to deal with ๐Ÿ˜

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 25 February 2020 at 3:20 PM

Sounds a potentially viable plan ( in theory )?

As You are going to have to learn to model & rig clothing it wont matter when Daz comes out with "Jenny poo-poo 9", or whatever, because you will be supporting your figure with new content yourself as I have been doing with Genesis 2-3 since I escaped the $$Daz content hamster wheel$$ years ago.?

To be honest My modeling skills have advanced to the point where I am seriously considering Dumping Daz figures Entirely and creating my own blender native Characters and rigging them with a Maya human IK Hierarchy that Iclone 3DXchange will auto recognize for motion retargeting.

Set up that motion track face rig and use my samsung Galaxy S8+ for facial motion capture...decision, decisions.?

Anyway now that your machine is up and running you should try the new realtime mesh paint in blender 2.82.

Beautiful in its simplicity..

https://youtu.be/4N40-LFzb7Y

My website

YouTube Channel

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2020 at 12:38 AM ยท edited Wed, 26 February 2020 at 12:41 AM

I already made a start on my own figure in Blender, but it's not something I'm giving any sort of priority to. When it comes to clothes, modelling them is easy, and I intend to use only dynamic clothes anyway. Not a fan of rigged or conforming clothing to be honest. Same with hair, I'll just make my own using Blender's dynamic hair, and maybe even make some dynamic trans-mapped hair if more suited to the task.

I like the video, that technique would be great for rain scenes!

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2020 at 12:02 PM

On the Genesis 3 to 8 question the problem was the version of the character wasn't matching the version of Genesis. Genesis (1) was V5 and M5, Genesis 2 was V6 and M6. DAZ thought there might be too much confusion between Genesis 4 and V4, and it seemed a good time to have the Genesis number match the Model Generation number, so Genesis 8 now matches V8 and M8. It's really the only reason for the gap.

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2020 at 2:44 PM

Ah right, that makes sense, thanks for the heads-up!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.