Mon, Jun 10, 6:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 09 3:34 pm)

Subject: VWD V2.x pre-release beta discussion

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Sun, 11 August 2019 at 1:14 PM

Hi Dan!

I was using a G3F figure, but found the problem with several outfits; one of them was the leotard from the Let's Get Physical outfit for G2F.

I run the VWD script, loaded the G3F as Collision with default settings, then loaded the leotard as cloth with the assistant; I chose an static simulation, cotton preset, no nail to collision vertices and no self-collission either. Run the simulation, all is fine but the cloth is too loose for a bodysuit; so I selected all vertices and tried different values (I think the first I tried was 80, since it worked good on previous version of VWD) under scale and softness; pressed apply without checking H or V and the mesh went flying.

I hope it is clear enough and helps you find a solution; if there is any problem in the first place.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2019 at 9:12 PM

Hello Dan,

Do you know what the error means? The number is showing up in the nom_objects file, but I don't have this many frames. I have 100. Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2019 at 10:16 PM

I should note this error causes VWD to hang indefinitely.

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2019 at 10:40 PM

Hmmmm.... This seems to have something to do with the number of frames I've set in DAZ studio.

I don't know why it's reading a decimal. I can only get it to reset if I change the # of frames to 100, and the FPS to 30.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2019 at 1:27 AM · edited Tue, 13 August 2019 at 1:28 AM

Hi,

looking into these issues, will respond in detail ASAP. thanks for detail - it helps a lot.

VWD_dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

Leonides02 ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2019 at 7:58 PM

No problem.

As a workaround I can set the # of frames to 100 and the FPS to 30, then change the scene back to what it's supposed to have.

Unfortunately, I don't think the 30 FPS can't be changed because that is what the simulation is expecting.

(I generally render animations at 16 FPS)

Leonides02 ( ) posted Sun, 18 August 2019 at 4:24 PM

Hi Dan - Were you able to replicate this at all?

VWD_dan ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2019 at 3:36 PM

Leonides02 posted at 3:31PM Mon, 19 August 2019 - #4359756

Well... Not exactly, but I found enough weirdness in the changing of frame-rates (fps) in DS to warrant a new trouble ticket. I'm sure it's all related, so if we get that issue, we can see if it addresses your issue as well.

The relationship between the DS framerate and the simulation step-rate is clearly not sync-d properly.

Thanks for the report and we may have you try an updated version in the near future to see if we fixed it.

VWD_dan

VWD website: https://www.virtualworlddynamics.net  -  VWD support: support@virtualworlddynamics.net

Current VWD Versions:   Release: V1.1.522.3630 – 2017/05/18 11:52,    Beta: V2.2.908.6404 beta – 2019/11/24 9:34 (exp 2019/12/28)

Qualifier: Yes, I'm helping Gérald with VWD, No, I'm not yet an expert on its use!

VWD_dan ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2019 at 3:50 PM

Ragice posted at 3:37PM Mon, 19 August 2019 - #4359149

Hi Dan!

I was using a G3F figure, but found the problem with several outfits; one of them was the leotard from the Let's Get Physical outfit for G2F.

I run the VWD script, loaded the G3F as Collision with default settings, then loaded the leotard as cloth with the assistant; I chose an static simulation, cotton preset, no nail to collision vertices and no self-collission either. Run the simulation, all is fine but the cloth is too loose for a bodysuit; so I selected all vertices and tried different values (I think the first I tried was 80, since it worked good on previous version of VWD) under scale and softness; pressed apply without checking H or V and the mesh went flying.

I hope it is clear enough and helps you find a solution; if there is any problem in the first place.

Hi Ragice,

Your steps and scene seem simple enough and don't seem like a place where blow-ups like this are likely (vs major collisions/fast animations).

I'm trying to reproduce this, but don't have that specific product (yet). Perhaps you can sub-divide the leotard in DS (convert to sub-d and increase a bit?) and see if that makes a difference. Even though this is a static sim, maybe setting the 'fast animation' higher, and/or nb_iterations up might help in case the collisions/mesh density conflicts are an issue.

Perhaps Gérald has some ideas.

I've had issues with the scaling in V2 as well, but no blow-ups, just not much effect, so I thought it was the 'operator' (me). I'll make sure Gérald looks into this. We'll get the product if we can't duplicate this with similar clothing products.

Thanks for the details and info.

VWD_dan

Leonides02 ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2019 at 4:02 PM

VWD_dan posted at 4:02PM Mon, 19 August 2019 - #4359841

Leonides02 posted at 3:31PM Mon, 19 August 2019 - #4359756

Well... Not exactly, but I found enough weirdness in the changing of frame-rates (fps) in DS to warrant a new trouble ticket. I'm sure it's all related, so if we get that issue, we can see if it addresses your issue as well.

The relationship between the DS framerate and the simulation step-rate is clearly not sync-d properly.

Thanks for the report and we may have you try an updated version in the near future to see if we fixed it.

VWD_dan

Thanks so much, Dan! I'm really looking forward to supporting you guys on Patreon!

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2019 at 11:14 AM

VWD_dan posted at 11:05AM Tue, 20 August 2019 - #4359843

Hi Dan!

Hi Ragice,

Your steps and scene seem simple enough and don't seem like a place where blow-ups like this are likely (vs major collisions/fast animations).

I'm trying to reproduce this, but don't have that specific product (yet). Perhaps you can sub-divide the leotard in DS (convert to sub-d and increase a bit?) and see if that makes a difference. Even though this is a static sim, maybe setting the 'fast animation' higher, and/or nb_iterations up might help in case the collisions/mesh density conflicts are an issue.

Perhaps Gérald has some ideas.

I've had issues with the scaling in V2 as well, but no blow-ups, just not much effect, so I thought it was the 'operator' (me). I'll make sure Gérald looks into this. We'll get the product if we can't duplicate this with similar clothing products.

Thanks for the details and info.

VWD_dan

I have done some more testing and I think I found the problem. I tried the previously mentioned steps with several outfits with the same results.

Everytime I try to scale the mesh it does so in a exaggerated manner; no matter the value I input the mesh gets reduced a lot.

What I have discovered new is that this only happens when using GPU when scaling. I can do the initial sim using GPU without problems, but I have to do the scaling using CPU only to get it right.

Mesh also dissappears when starting the sim using CPU, stopping it and enabling GPU before restarting again.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2019 at 7:54 PM

Ragice posted at 7:46PM Tue, 20 August 2019 - #4359910

VWD_dan posted at 11:05AM Tue, 20 August 2019 - #4359843

I have done some more testing and I think I found the problem. I tried the previously mentioned steps with several outfits with the same results.

Everytime I try to scale the mesh it does so in a exaggerated manner; no matter the value I input the mesh gets reduced a lot.

What I have discovered new is that this only happens when using GPU when scaling. I can do the initial sim using GPU without problems, but I have to do the scaling using CPU only to get it right.

Mesh also dissappears when starting the sim using CPU, stopping it and enabling GPU before restarting again.

Wow - OK, this is big. I usually use CPU, and yes, I have noticed differences between some of my CPU/GPU sims, but nothing this radical. I know Gérald watches this forum, but I'll give this an extra nudge right now and add this news to the tracker-ticket.

Thanks for the update, and I can help test around this scenario now that you've described it so well.

More to come, I'm sure,

VWD_dan

Hiemille ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2019 at 12:13 PM

Thanks so much for the update! I tested your beta V2 with the new DS 4.11 and found the new beta works faster and more stable than V1. The old version gave crashes often with garments consisting of multiple unwelded pieces, the new one accepted them nicely. But I noticed the New Animation bug too (described above) and sometimes after 5-6 runs of "Start VWD" script, this script failed to run the application, and worked only after I reloaded the scene with Genesis and clothing. And obviously we need some tutorials how to use assistant and to simulate complex many-layered garments (like jeans, jackets, coats etc). As far as I learned, such simulations require partial rigidification of different fabric pieces - as an example, when I tested several jeans, conforming or dynamic, they stretched downwards, and to prevent it, I increased rigidness of the pants fabric a bit (this setting is named like Rigidify by extension 2,3,4 etc) and lessened the softness of the springs much less than default. That helped to keep the shape and length of pants, long gowns etc., and for details like sewn-on pockets and hems too. But I do it "by luck" mostly and I feel the need for a sample detailed tutorial about simulating such multi-layered garments and proper rigidifying. Over-rigid garments slow down the sims. And I found the Layer setting in V2 - is it purposed for simulating the whole garments like a jacket over a dress or it can be usable to simulate layers like pockets and panels, sewn over the main fabric (to prevent pokethroughs)?

VWD_dan ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2019 at 2:12 PM

Hiemille posted at 1:50PM Thu, 22 August 2019 - #4360123

Thanks so much for the update! I tested your beta V2 with the new DS 4.11 and found the new beta works faster and more stable than V1. The old version gave crashes often with garments consisting of multiple unwelded pieces, the new one accepted them nicely.

Hi Hiemille, thanks for your good feedback. We're happy that some of these updates improvements are working for you too.

But I noticed the New Animation bug too (described above) and sometimes after 5-6 runs of "Start VWD" script, this script failed to run the application, and worked only after I reloaded the scene with Genesis and clothing.

What I have figured out about this bug so far, is if I ever send an incomplete animated simulation back to DS, it appears to have worked, but the scripting stack inside DS is corrupted (the DS log shows repeated stack errors), and no DS scripts will run after this. A DS restart is the only way I can get past this too, so I save my scene, and restart DS, then reload the scene. (For this reason, I save my DS scene before going into VWD now).

And obviously we need some tutorials how to use assistant and to simulate complex many-layered garments (like jeans, jackets, coats etc).

As you know, this early release was only presented because of the DS 4.11 update that broke philemot's great bridge product. We thought the familiar features would be enough to keep those DS 4.11 users moving forward, but we wish the product was more complete. I'm working on the documentation now, so it is happening...

As far as I learned, such simulations require partial rigidification of different fabric pieces - as an example, when I tested several jeans, conforming or dynamic, they stretched downwards, and to prevent it, I increased rigidness of the pants fabric a bit (this setting is named like Rigidify by extension 2,3,4 etc) and lessened the softness of the springs much less than default. That helped to keep the shape and length of pants, long gowns etc., and for details like sewn-on pockets and hems too.

This is a good description of the proper workflow, and describes the power that VWD has to fine-tune arbitrary clothing items and meshes...

But I do it "by luck" mostly and I feel the need for a sample detailed tutorial about simulating such multi-layered garments and proper rigidifying. Over-rigid garments slow down the sims.

I feel this "by luck" sense in many places, and Gerald and I discuss our options for future releases, but for now, we think it is better to finish some basic powerful simulation features, and refine the interface in future releases. Tutorials are being produced, but will have to follow the documentation updates for this release, so we appreciate this request and your patience as we get to each of these tasks. They are all important to us.

And I found the Layer setting in V2 - is it purposed for simulating the whole garments like a jacket over a dress or it can be usable to simulate layers like pockets and panels, sewn over the main fabric (to prevent pokethroughs)?

I have to let Gerald answer this question.

Thanks again for your good notes. As this is a beta, these are the issues that we need to know about, and everyone uses this program in ways we sometimes don't expect, and needs information on features that seem familiar to us, so we miss the need.

cheers,

VWD_dan

Hiemille ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2019 at 6:43 AM

Thank you, VWD_dan. I forgot one important thing about Assistant (at least the cloth assistant) - I feel it needs the option of choice between CPU (so-called multi-thread and pure GPU simulating) before the "Simulate" button. From my experience, the cloth assistant tries to use GPU when simulating, so for me it fails too often ad sometimes freezes. I mean than this moment my 4-cored CPU hardware with built-in gpu is much better than the external GPU alone and so when I pick up Multithread simulating, all goes nicely even with complex cloth objects, but with GPU device simulation goes very slow or stops. The main VWD application has this choice, but the cloth assistant seemingly has not. Because I saw the same GPU-failing picture with cloth assitant, I think it would be very helping to include Multithread checkbox in this part of the application.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 23 August 2019 at 1:36 PM

Hiemille posted at 1:32PM Fri, 23 August 2019 - #4360216

Thank you, VWD_dan. I forgot one important thing about Assistant (at least the cloth assistant) - I feel it needs the option of choice between CPU (so-called multi-thread and pure GPU simulating) before the "Simulate" button. From my experience, the cloth assistant tries to use GPU when simulating, so for me it fails too often ad sometimes freezes. I mean than this moment my 4-cored CPU hardware with built-in gpu is much better than the external GPU alone and so when I pick up Multithread simulating, all goes nicely even with complex cloth objects, but with GPU device simulation goes very slow or stops. The main VWD application has this choice, but the cloth assistant seemingly has not. Because I saw the same GPU-failing picture with cloth assitant, I think it would be very helping to include Multithread checkbox in this part of the application.

Good news on this one - I asked for the exact same feature and I believe the fix has been added to the latest internal version for testing. I haven't seen it yet, but I believe it will show up as an alternative to the 'simulate' button, where we can go back to the main window tabs and make adjustments after the assistant settings are complete. Thanks for the suggestion.

For now, I've had to change my V1 habit and set those simulation settings before doing my imports, but I often forget to do so...

cheers,

VWD_dan

ebergerly ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2019 at 10:10 AM · edited Sun, 25 August 2019 at 10:12 AM

After being successful in running the latest VWD beta and 4.11, I recently re-installed everything on my hard drive to add an SSD. So I went thru and followed the instructions for VWD beta again, and when trying to run VWD I got the following error. Anyone have any ideas? I re-did the installation steps a few times just to be sure I did it okay. I also have VWD folder installed on D:VWD. Thanks

_2019-08-25 11:05:02.852 WARNING: ..........srcsdksourceclouddzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0

2019-08-25 11:05:05.327 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/VWD/Cloth and Hair (beta V2.1.858.6150)/Start VWD.dsa

2019-08-25 11:05:05.329 WARNING: Script Error: Line 2

2019-08-25 11:05:05.329 WARNING: SyntaxError: Parse error

2019-08-25 11:05:05.329 WARNING: Stack Trace: ()@C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/VWD/Cloth and Hair (beta V2.1.858.6150)/Start VWD.dsa:2

2019-08-25 11:05:05.339 Error in script execution: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/VWD/Cloth and Hair (beta V2.1.858.6150)/Start VWD.dsa__

ebergerly ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2019 at 10:35 AM · edited Sun, 25 August 2019 at 10:35 AM

After messing around a bit I'm now back to the same error I had initially, "Can't find variable: VWDPluginExchangeLib". I did all the previous recommendations that worked last time, but this time it still doesn't work.

Though last time I never really figured out why it started working.

BTW, the results are the same with either 4.11 or 4.12 beta

ebergerly ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2019 at 10:59 AM

Okay it looks iike "About Installed Plugins" shows the "VWD Bridge Support Plugin" in my 4.11 version, but not the 4.12 Studio beta. And now VWD seems to be working intermittently in 4.11, but not 4.12. Maybe there's different installation procedure for 4.12?

ebergerly ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2019 at 11:18 AM · edited Sun, 25 August 2019 at 11:21 AM

Arrgghhh.... I needed to copy the .dll into the C:ProgramFilesDAZ3DDAZStudio4 Public Build in order for it to be seen by 4.12...

Seems like it works now...

I sure hope all these installation steps get included in an installation script for the next version

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 30 August 2019 at 9:53 PM

ebergerly posted at 9:43PM Fri, 30 August 2019 - #4360435

Arrgghhh.... I needed to copy the .dll into the C:ProgramFilesDAZ3DDAZStudio4 Public Build in order for it to be seen by 4.12...

Seems like it works now...

I sure hope all these installation steps get included in an installation script for the next version

Hmmm....

Probably not on the list. All DAZ plugins suffer this same source of confusion. I have a DIM-maker tool from DAZ, but don't know if it does plugins or just content. I'll have to check that...

Been busy updating docs. There's a lot in this update. Kind of crazy, actually. And I'm only able to describe the mechanics of it so far. The use of all of the new features is infinite - mixed blessing...

Hey @ebergerly ,

That stack trace error... I see that when I try to send an incomplete dynamic/animation simulation back to DS, and once that happens, not only is the animation probably funky, but the DAZ scripting stack is also probably hosed - not just for VWD, but for any script you may wish to run! I have a ticket in for this, and some ideas for an easy fix (I hope), but it's broken until then.

Bottom line, If you run a dynamic/animation simulation (vs a static sim), please don't interrupt it and send it to DAZ Studio (send animation to host). It just breaks things in DS. Let it finish, even if you don't want the entire output series.

As mentioned, working hard on humanizing these complex concepts, and I think it'll help. Also getting bugs fixed and little interface tweaks in place as we push into crunch-time.

I'm glad you're seeing DS 4.12 successes now too. I've been poking at it to be sure it'll work when that release is out. Just got another beta yesterday...

Thanks for your continued support everyone!

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 30 August 2019 at 11:53 PM · edited Sat, 31 August 2019 at 12:03 AM

VWD_dan posted at 11:51PM Fri, 30 August 2019 - #4360877

ebergerly posted at 9:43PM Fri, 30 August 2019 - #4360435

Hey @ebergerly ,

That stack trace error... I see that when I try to send an incomplete dynamic/animation simulation back to DS, and once that happens, not only is the animation probably funky, but the DAZ scripting stack is also probably hosed - not just for VWD, but for any script you may wish to run! I have a ticket in for this, and some ideas for an easy fix (I hope), but it's broken until then.

Bottom line, If you run a dynamic/animation simulation (vs a static sim), please don't interrupt it and send it to DAZ Studio (send animation to host). It just breaks things in DS. Let it finish, even if you don't want the entire output series.

and FYI, restarting DAZ Studio fixes the scripting stack problem - it's only broken after VWD confuses it, and the problem goes away when you shut down/restart DAZ Studio.

If that's not the problem (you may never get that far if the error was on start-up), future users may find value in looking at the Start VWD.dsa script, and seeing if the first line looks like a reasonable path to the VWD main directory. If not, it can be edited with a text editor (notepad) and corrected. For a 'suggested' installation, the foirst line should look something like:

VWD_Base = “C:/VWD/” ;

Noting that the slashes in the pathname are backwards from the usual Windows/DOS convention. Perhaps a simple edit may save someone another re-install.

cheers,

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2019 at 10:30 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2019 at 10:39 PM

A quick request:

Could anyone running the V2.x beta please help me test the 'single vertex' selection mode of VWD? On my machine(s), this will often generate a pop-up exception error.

The test is pretty simple, (Poser or DS) and can be tried anytime during any vertex selection:

• new Poser/DS scene w Andy/G8F (or any figure?)

• start VWD V2.x beta

• import Andy/G8F as a collision item

• Open the 'Vertices selection' tab

• zoom into the 'blue-dotted' figure for selection (in 'Scene viewer' window, full size)

• float the mouse over the blue vertices, pressing Shift (no mouse button, just Shift)

= the vertices under the mouse should turn yellow and when the Shift key is release, the last yellow vertex should remain selected and turn red.

again, no mouse buttons are pressed during this selection mode...

If I repeat this and intermix this selection mode with typical drag selecting and Shift selecting, I can almost always get the exception.

(the only way to stop the exception from constantly repeating is to move the mouse over the main VWD tabs and press escape, then press Shift. Otherwise putting the mouse back in the Scene viewer window generates the exception again. I can never get the Shift select mode to work again after the exception.)

I don't use this selection mode much, but this drives me bonkers when I do...

We're trying to figure out if this is machine-specific...

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

VWD_dan

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2019 at 7:19 AM

I just tested it and got the same error when trying to do a shift+ selection. It was a new scene, using G8F and nothing else, Daz Studio 4.11. Do you need any more info?

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 03 September 2019 at 6:45 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2019 at 6:46 PM

Ragice posted at 6:40PM Tue, 03 September 2019 - #4361071

I just tested it and got the same error when trying to do a shift+ selection. It was a new scene, using G8F and nothing else, Daz Studio 4.11. Do you need any more info?

Hi @Ragice!

Thanks for looking into it! I really don't like when errors are specific to one person's hardware or environment. Those are painful to debug!

I got word from Gérald that he could reproduce it too and will look into it. I believe this happens for me on dynamic actors too, but certainly on collision items. I really noticed this when I was working with the Dynamic morphs controls during my documentation (picking that one vertex for the wire).

Thanks again for looking into that - you rock!

VWD_dan

ebergerly ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2019 at 7:12 AM

All, Has anyone noticed that if you select your GPU for simulation its FAR more likely the cloth will explode than if you use your CPU? I have a GTX1080ti, and if I select it there's like a 70% chance it will explode, but if I do the exact same sim with my Ryzen (8 cores) it's fine. Not really a big deal, BTW, since VWD is so amazing at doing its sims. I still can't get over how smoothly and realistically the cloth sims work in VWD. Every where I go I'm telling folks how wonderful this is.

Surody ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2019 at 11:01 AM

Hey, I got pretty quite the past months. How's the development of the program going? Is everything on schedule?

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2019 at 2:42 PM

hey guys--none of the clothing I am using is sticking to the models even when I nail to the collision, it just falls straight tot he floor.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2019 at 10:54 PM

Hmmm - so much for notifications,

ebergerly posted at 10:41PM Fri, 13 September 2019 - #4361365

All, Has anyone noticed that if you select your GPU for simulation its FAR more likely the cloth will explode than if you use your CPU? I have a GTX1080ti, and if I select it there's like a 70% chance it will explode, but if I do the exact same sim with my Ryzen (8 cores) it's fine. Not really a big deal, BTW, since VWD is so amazing at doing its sims. I still can't get over how smoothly and realistically the cloth sims work in VWD. Every where I go I'm telling folks how wonderful this is.

The GPU is different... I've seen the same. And, my defaults don't seem to stick to CPU, which I prefer for consistency. Because of the way the GPU breaks down the simulation, it makes some sense that the results might differ, but I can't tell you which one I'd use for which sorts of sims, and I can't test it yet with all the other tests I'm running. Anyone else have any advice or insight as to when they prefer CPU vs CPU?

Surody posted at 10:41PM Fri, 13 September 2019 - #4361371

Hey, I got pretty quite the past months. How's the development of the program going? Is everything on schedule?

We're getting close. I'm hammering on the docs and learning more about VWD than a person ought to be allowed to know :) There's a lot packed into this little beast. Gérald is trying to sneak one more hair feature under the wire, and finish various fixes/tweaks before the last beta - which we plan to toss out there to anyone who's interested. We'll let you know here, or when we add it to your VWD file-repos. Anyone else, let us know if you're interested.

Sepiasiren posted at 10:42PM Fri, 13 September 2019 - #4361613

hey guys--none of the clothing I am using is sticking to the models even when I nail to the collision, it just falls straight tot he floor.

CPU/GPU? - My simple tests seem to be working pretty well, but I'm not pushing the envelope in any direction right now. Assuming you load a scene, import a figure/collison, import a cloth/dynamic (using assistant?) and then ... static or dynamic sim?

thanks,

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2019 at 11:09 PM

Sepiasiren posted at 11:05PM Fri, 13 September 2019 - #4361613

More thoughts:

Is this a new effect on clothes you've been using without issue before, or a new effect on clothes you haven't been using 'til now?

Would it be worth cleaning out your Exchange folder in case some relic/artifact files are causing this grief?

VWD_dan

Sepiasiren ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 3:39 PM

VWD_dan posted at 3:02PM Tue, 17 September 2019 - #4361865

Sepiasiren posted at 11:05PM Fri, 13 September 2019 - #4361613

More thoughts:

Is this a new effect on clothes you've been using without issue before or a new effect on clothes you haven't been using 'til now?

Would it be worth cleaning out your Exchange folder in case some relic/artifact files are causing this grief?

VWD_dan

Hey yeah, I found when I cleaned the exchange folder and also changed the nail collisions like Gerald suggested that worked. now I have a new issue in saving multiple drapes. When I pull the animation back into VWD to save again it works fine but if I do another drape ( say dress AND hair) and do the same thing, the hair saves but the cloth is no longer draped...

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 4:35 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2019 at 4:36 PM

Sepiasiren posted at 4:19PM Tue, 17 September 2019 - #4362318

Hey yeah, I found when I cleaned the exchange folder and also changed the nail collisions like Gerald suggested that worked. now I have a new issue in saving multiple drapes. When I pull the animation back into VWD to save again it works fine but if I do another drape ( say dress AND hair) and do the same thing, the hair saves but the cloth is no longer draped...

Good news on getting the first issue under control.

The second one is probably related to either needing to do a one-time 'reload' of all of your scene's xxxx_VWD files into a fresh VWD session to 'remap' all of the various animations, so try this after doing all of your drapes:

• open a new VWD
  • import all of the draped results (xxxx_VWD files) as collisions w any defaults into VWD
  • play the animation in VWD's Scene viewer viewport. All of the drapes should be flowing as expected...
  • go to the Simulate tab (but don't simulate!)
  • Float over the 'Start dynamic simulation' button with Ctrl pressed until it changes to 'Send animation to host'
  • Press that button and it should feed all of your animation/drapes back to DS
  • play the animation in the DS timeline...

Remember that cleaning out the Exchange folder also cleans out all of your animations/drapes in addition to the various trouble-making relic files that sometimes pop up!, so try not to be too quick to clear your VWD workspace before each draping session, or you will likely toss out your previous efforts without meaning too.

To be geeky, you can look in your ...VWDExchangeScene folder and see the *.dyn files, and copy them to a safe place before cleaning out the rest of your stuff with that 'Utilities->Delete "Exchange" files' button. Copy them back and follow the above steps to 'reload' your animations after a clean-up or after you reload your scene in a new DS session. I hope this makes some sense... I've added a section on this in the new docs. Maybe you can review it for clarity... (Let me know)

VWD_dan

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 7:14 PM

Hi everybody! Regarding the CPUvsGPU discussion, I always prefer to use GPU; it works way faster and without problem if not for two details.

When starting a simulation; static or dynamic, doesn't matter; with GPU disabled (as sometimes happens when using the assistant) stopping the sim and enabling the GPU, makes the sim to fail. I have to restart it with the simulation history and check GPU before starting the sim.

You can't use GPU when scaling the dynamic actor (cloth, at least). The simulation always fails. Apart of these two errors; GPU works great for me.

It would be nice too if the Forces and Springs tab would be accesible when using the assistant; or just adding the rigidify using vertices neighbourhood. It is too useful in preventing the cloth to fall apart when it is not a single mesh.

Thats all for the moment I think, see you!

VWD_dan ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2019 at 2:41 AM

Hi Ragice,

We're still working on the new version and should have some definitive news on where things stand shortly.

Thanks so much for sharing your progress and news. Some of the ideas you mention are addressed in the current working release, so it's nice to have a fix before the request for a change!

Stay tuned and thanks again for your progress update. Your GPU comments are particularly interesting to me!

Cheers!

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 12:43 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2019 at 12:49 AM

I hope a dual-post is OK for those following our progress here:

Hello all,

The updated V2.x (v2.1.88.6290) beta version is available to everyone who has purchased VWD 1.x (From Renderosity or directly from Gérald). This version has full functionality, including updates since the previous Beta, and expires on December 28, 2019.

If you were already registered with us for the previous beta, you should have received an email notification at the same address. If you did not receive that notification, please let us know, and please check the same account you used to download the previous beta version. The package should be available in your account. (Note that because it is a beta, we cannot distribute it here at Renderosity. The real release will be sold here and distributed via your normal Renderosity account.

Remember to download the latest version, as your other products may also be available there as well. (V2.1.88.6290 - aprx 30Megs)

If you own VWD 1.x and you wish to try this time-limited, but fully functional beta version, PM us here or send your request to us (with an order number or Rendo username so we can confirm your ownership) to support@virtualworlddynamics.net and we'll get you a copy.

More information on the actual update (features, etc.) to come.

Thanks all!

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 3:32 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2019 at 3:33 AM

A quick warning to all current beta users (users of the previous V2.x version) that are using the DAZ Studio bridge/plugins:

Be sure to replace the current VWDExchange.dll in your program's plugin directory (32bit and/or 64bit) with the proper updated VWDExchange_x32.dll and/or VWDExchange_x64.dll versions. The old beta DLLs and the new beta DLLs will conflict.

We highlight and mention this in the installation notes, but an extra mention probably won't hurt here.

Bottom line: If you have both VWDExchange.dll and VWDExchange_x64.dll (or VWDExchange_x32.dll) in the same plugins directory, there will probably be a loading/conflict and VWD probably won't work very well. This goes for the 32bit version as well. Just remove the VWDExchange.dll files in both plugins directories and you should be good to go.

I hope this saves a few folks some time/energy!

cheers,

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Sun, 06 October 2019 at 5:53 PM

Update: contrary to my documentation updates, the V2.x versions (any/all of them) do NOT work in DS 4.9 or lower. I thought I had a successful load/run in DS 4.9 recently and was so excited to know it worked back that far... but my current test just failed miserably.

I don't think we have too many beta users on DS 4.9, but I apologize to anyone else who also got excited! Of course VWD 1.x and the bridge work as usual.

I'll update the docs for the real release.

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 12:26 AM

Hello all,

A newly updated V2.x (v2.1.892.6304a) beta version is available to everyone who has purchased VWD 1.x (From Renderosity or directly from Gérald). This time-limited version has full functionality, including updates since the previous Beta, and expires on December 28, 2019.

There are two versions available for download:

• a minimal package with just the updated application - no docs/presets, etc. (~3M), just replace the current EXE in your VWD program folder with this new version.
  • a full package with the updated application (~23M)

v2.1.892.6304a fixes include:

• fix: wind now works properly without a collision item in the scene.
  • fix: CPU/GPU dynamic element preparation changes. May fix many GPU issues.

An email notification went out to registered beta users for this update, but from now on, we will only notify interested beta users who explicitly ask for update notifications for these mini-updates. Even without notification, the latest versions will always be available in your respective file repositories.

If you wish to receive update notifications. please let us know here or via email at our support@virtualworlddynamics.net address and we will add you to the notification list.

The VWD website will always list the most current release and beta versions that are available.

Thanks and let us know if you find issues with any of these updates.

cheers,

VWD_dan

zanth77 ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 10:40 AM

Just gave V2 a spin and it works great! No more crashing on close. Also seems faster. It only lets me use 1 of my 2 gpus, but still getting faster sims than with CPU.

What happens after expiration tho? Will it be available for purchase or will there be an upgrade path for those who bought V1? Thanks!

VWD_dan ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2019 at 4:10 PM

zanth77 posted at 4:00PM Thu, 17 October 2019 - #4367462

Just gave V2 a spin and it works great! No more crashing on close. Also seems faster. It only lets me use 1 of my 2 gpus, but still getting faster sims than with CPU.

Great feedback, thanks. The Crash-on-close problem was occurring in the DS-Bridge product add-on, which quit working when DAZ updated DS to 4.11. That DS bridging is native to VWD now.

I expect that for the foreseeable future, only one GPU will be usable at a time. Use your more powerful one and enjoy that speed bump. Perhaps Gérald has more thoughts on multi-GPUs.

What happens after expiration tho? Will it be available for purchase or will there be an upgrade path for those who bought V1? Thanks!

While the release is being deferred until we tighten up a few more details, the current version should work until the end of the year (Dec 28). We should have the release available for sale by then, and yes, there will be an upgrade option for V1 users.

Thanks for the feedback and let us know if you find issues or feature-requests that we can consider now or in future versions!

cheers,

VWD_dan

yvesab ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 10:57 AM

I'm still following the developpement of VWD with a lot of interest. The Daz cloth simulation is still quite unstable and exploding meshes are regular when poses are complex.

There are 2 things I would really love : first off a manual (since I'm french, french is ok!!) ; second a way to kill WVD when needed, which is impossible via the windows task manager since the program works in full screen mode

Zokreb ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 1:13 PM · edited Tue, 05 November 2019 at 1:15 PM

I totally second what Yves said : being able to kill the process if something wrong happens would be a significant improvement !

Here's a bit more feedback as well :

I reckon that despite the HUGE improvements brought to the GPU simulations, I still have issues from time to time when scaling down the mesh, the mesh completely explodes. With same parameters, CPU sim is OK but GPU isn't. It's unfortunate as VWD can also be very helpfull for fitting clothes that were made for other figures and playing with scale can do wonders to acheive that.

Finally, I would appreciate an option to "remember" the settings between 2 simulations. For instance, when unchecking the box "Start" or unchecking the box "dynamic animation", i'd like the software to remember this as my default setting.

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 3:32 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the continued interest and feedback. Quiet as it is here in the forums, we are both investing as much time as we can afford in finishing the newest update - we're serious about getting a good V2 completed and available.

Zokreb posted at 2:25PM Tue, 05 November 2019 - #4369271

I totally second what Yves said : being able to kill the process if something wrong happens would be a significant improvement !

OK, good feedback from both of you. I've also gotten stuck like you folks are describing, but I thought the VWD program could be killed independently in the task manager by finding the VWDClothAndHair.exe file in the task list and killing it (vs Poser.exe or DAZ Studio). I'll have to take a look again. I'm mostly WIndows10 now, but I have a W7 I can check too, in case they differ. Be sure to kill all instances as well, since there may be more than one. Also, when this happens, it might be a good idea to also run the 'Stop VWD' script from your host-applicaton (Poser/DS, etc.), to be sure any internal VWD script loops close out. From there a new session should be pretty clean.

Here's a bit more feedback as well :

I reckon that despite the HUGE improvements brought to the GPU simulations, I still have issues from time to time when scaling down the mesh, the mesh completely explodes. With same parameters, CPU sim is OK but GPU isn't. It's unfortunate as VWD can also be very helpfull for fitting clothes that were made for other figures and playing with scale can do wonders to acheive that.

Please be sure you have the latest version (as listed in my sig (below) and our website), as some of the GPU/CPU issues have been addressed (perhaps the issues you mention). I believe that VWD's potential as a realistic simulation 'autofit' tool is one of it's most powerful capabilities. I admit that I pretty-much stopped using the GPU because my GPU is a GForce760, and not much faster than my CPU, which was far more reliable for me. The latest update may address some of the GPU explosions. As a beta release, any of your experiences are very much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure Zokreb and Yves are both using it, but anyone else who wants to help check out the V2 beta can simply send us a note, and we can get you the current time-limited version.

Finally, I would appreciate an option to "remember" the settings between 2 simulations. For instance, when unchecking the box "Start" or unchecking the box "dynamic animation", i'd like the software to remember this as my default setting.

I do not have this in my own bugs/features list, but yes, if it would be easy enough and not introduce new issues,, I would also love to see this change. I will be sure Gérald knows about all of your feedback here.

Thanks again to all for your interest and feedback. We will consider all suggestions and hope you will mention any issues/workarounds you find - especially the most common or irritating ones!

cheers,

VWD_dan

VWD_dan ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 3:44 PM

Hi Yves,

Some of my last comments (above) are relevant to you too.

yvesab posted at 3:34PM Tue, 05 November 2019 - #4369249

I'm still following the developpement of VWD with a lot of interest. The Daz cloth simulation is still quite unstable and exploding meshes are regular when poses are complex.

There are 2 things I would really love : first off a manual (since I'm french, french is ok!!) ; second a way to kill WVD when needed, which is impossible via the windows task manager since the program works in full screen mode

OK - While I thought you were using the latest version with some GPU fixes, perhaps not... Please be sure to try the current beta release. The latest beta versions should always be available in your VWD library.

Re: the manual, the latest English version is completely overhauled and included in the beta distribution. It is not in French (sorry), but I have put a lot of work in trying to re-describe all of the functions - old and new. It is not a 'Usage' guide, but rather a Program guide, since knowing what a button can do is critical to figuring out creative ways to use it!

As a veteran user, the few basic usage notes at the end are too simple for you needs, and the tutorials in the queue will probably be too simple until we get to the advanced topics.

Thanks again for the feedback and please stay tuned! (and get that latest update if you haven't already!)

cheers,

VWD_dan

Zokreb ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 12:08 PM · edited Wed, 06 November 2019 at 12:08 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply and dealing with our "complaints" :D

Just to let you know that I indeed use the latest version of the software. As I said, I admit that there has been enormous progress on the GPU simulation in comparision to 1.1 and even to 2.0. However, I still encounter some issues with exploding meshes from time to time, especially when I stretch the mesh with scales lower than 90%. With the CPU version, simulation always runs fine, except much slowly. Maybe I should try to increase the number of iterations.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 4:53 PM

Hello Zokreb, Hello Yves, Hello everyone,

The GPU is very sensitive to streching or to pinching. This issue comes from the computation of the springs. I don't know if you use a version with a checkbox named "Springs CPU". This option allows to use the CPU only for the springs computation. The simulation is slower than a full GPU computation but it is faster than a full CPU computation. It allows to resolve many cases where the mesh explodes but keeping a good calculation speed. When you generate a deformation on the mesh, it can be interesting to remove the "Inertia". When the inertia is removed, each node does not keep its speed and each iteration starts with all the nodes speed at zero. This solution also allows to resolve many issues when one wants to apply a big deformation to a mesh. The inertia can be reapplied thereafter, when the simulation is stabilized.

About the remembering of some options when the program restarts, many options are already saved in a INI file. There are certainly new options which are not saved when the program closes. It will interesting to define all these options.

About the issue when something wrong happens in the program when it is in full screen mode, I think you use Ctrl-Alt-Del keys to stop the process. Personally, I always use Ctrl-Shift-Esc. These keys have two advantages:

• they allows to show the program manager in all situations,
  • they are easy and fast to press with only the left hand. Using the thumb for Ctrl and Shift keys and middle finger for Esc key. This method will allow you to stop VWD. It is important to remember that VWD has not be stopped normally so the permanent loop goes on in DS. To resolve this issue, it is necessary to press on the "Stop VWD" button in the DS interface before to try something else.

Currently I do many improvements in the program and I add some new functions. These new functions come when I have a difficulty during a simulation. It would be very interesting to have some feedbacks on the issues you have had because they will help to improve the program. This happens when you think : it would be interesting to be able to do this or that.

Now, with Dan, we think we are almost ready to start the final V2. When all will be ready, it would be very interesting to use all the functionalities implemented by Dan to create community around the program on VirtualWorldDynamics.net.

I hope this will be a way to exchange simulation methods and results. Not only for the issues, but also when something works fine using a specific method. Myself, I have to do many tutorials because there are a lot of new functions in VWD.

Have a great day.

Gérald

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

Zokreb ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 2:02 PM · edited Thu, 07 November 2019 at 2:03 PM

Salut Gérald, Merci pour ta réponse détaillée et ta disponibilité... < French people inside ;)

I don't know if you use a version with a checkbox named "Springs CPU".

I have a "Sticks CPU" checkbox, it is checked by default, is it the option you are refering to ?

I think you use Ctrl-Alt-Del keys to stop the process.

No, never :)

Personally, I always use Ctrl-Shift-Esc. These keys have two advantages:

Yes, I prefer to use this key combination too ;)

they allows to show the program manager in all situations, The issue is that if you have the Scene Viewer on, it is opened in a "always on top" fashion, you cannot bring the task manager in front of it. You need to drag the window to a side of the screen to see the windows below. But that is not possible when you are "stuck" in a simulation that takes forever (too many springs or any other reason)

Thanks, can't wait to see the final V2. Good job on this software !

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 4:26 PM

Bonjour Zokreb, La connexion Française existe toujours.... pour la bonne cause ;-)

When the Scene Viewer is in full screen and of course in "Always on top" mode, the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys show the program manager under VWD but the Ctrl-Shift-Esc keys show the program manager in front of VWD. This works like this on my PC, perhaps your system reacts with another way. I am on Windows 7 Pro.

Can you tell me if the two keys sequences work in the same way on your system?

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

VWD_dan ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 1:23 AM

Zokreb posted at 1:17AM Fri, 08 November 2019 - #4369372

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply and dealing with our "complaints" :D

actually, I wish there were more reports of success and/or issues so we can keep a good bead on what y'all are up to and wishing for, so please don't be shy or feel like it's an imposition! I'm actually wondering where ragice, leonides2, and a few other die-hards are, and what kind of progress they're making. I hope they are simply too busy making good renders to pop in here!

Just to let you know that I indeed use the latest version of the software. As I said, I admit that there has been enormous progress on the GPU simulation in comparision to 1.1 and even to 2.0. However, I still encounter some issues with exploding meshes from time to time, especially when I stretch the mesh with scales lower than 90%. With the CPU version, simulation always runs fine, except much slowly. Maybe I should try to increase the number of iterations.

I believe we might be pushing out another beta update in the next week, so that might be good news if the recent changes happen to address your issues.

We'll let you know as things happen!

cheers,

VWD_dan

GiraffeStudios ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 4:54 AM

VirtualWorldDynamics posted at 4:53AM Fri, 08 November 2019 - #4369509

Bonjour Zokreb, La connexion Française existe toujours.... pour la bonne cause ;-)

When the Scene Viewer is in full screen and of course in "Always on top" mode, the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys show the program manager under VWD but the Ctrl-Shift-Esc keys show the program manager in front of VWD. This works like this on my PC, perhaps your system reacts with another way. I am on Windows 7 Pro.

Can you tell me if the two keys sequences work in the same way on your system?

Doesn't work like that to me; VWD is always on top no matter the key combination I use. I am using Windows 8.1, by the way.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.