Tue, May 28, 9:08 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 28 9:01 pm)

Subject: Importing obj files into Poser

cmcarle ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2017 at 2:11 PM · edited Wed, 22 May 2024 at 4:14 AM

Hey, I'm new at Poser and I have a question. When I try to import an obj, Collada or any other 3d file from outside of poser the textures do not import correctly. Sometimes the textures are not there and sometimes they are just a different color. I have been exporting my obj files with an mtl file and have been using C4D to export them. Any idea how to fix this?

cmcarle ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2017 at 3:11 PM

I believe I found the answer in the Poser FAQ section. It must be UV mapped. Any easier method than this?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2017 at 3:57 PM

.dout its the uvs.textures might be upside down .

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

tonyvilters ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2017 at 4:23 AM

The obj file contains the geometry and the UV_Map. (The UV map is required to tell the app how and where the texture goes. The mtl file (that comes with the obj file) tells the app what texture to put on what polygons. The textures.

That are the 3 files you need. Once in Poser and the texture applied and saved by Poser you only need the obj file and the cr2 or pp2. => You can delete the mtl file as it is not required any more.

Almost all 3D apps can create UV-Maps on obj files like UV_Mapper, Wings, Blender, Roadkill, to name a few of the free 2D apps.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2017 at 12:13 PM

I've never used Collada so I don't know how well it works between C4D n Poser.

I'm sure .obj will work thou. between C4D n Poser.

any app can use flat uvmaps.

Pixars Ptex n zBrush Ptex looked maps depends on the app.so not sure if all apps can use them.

any app can use .jpgs but not all app's can use certain .extensions.

can't export n import shaders.

so you need to check n see if all apps support what ya using.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2017 at 10:32 PM

What version of Collada? Poser does not support all versions of it.

cmcarle ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2017 at 8:22 PM

I believe I know what's going on. Even though I have applied the textures on the model in C4D and saved it, I am surmising that those textures do not automatically become UV mapped to the object but that the UV map is something I need to create manually. Thank you all for your replies.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2017 at 11:54 PM

cmcarle posted at 12:53AM Wed, 15 February 2017 - #4297521

I believe I know what's going on. Even though I have applied the textures on the model in C4D and saved it, I am surmising that those textures do not automatically become UV mapped to the object but that the UV map is something I need to create manually. Thank you all for your replies.

probably need to learn all the different ways to put stuff on ya mesh youtube ,google C4D forums n all can teach you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=Blender+textures+and+shaders

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.