Thu, May 16, 10:14 AM CDT

Welcome to the The MarketPlace Wishing Well Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

The MarketPlace Wishing Well F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 02 8:32 am)

Have an idea for a MarketPlace product? Would you like to let the MarketPlace Merchants know?
This is the place!

Make sure you check The Product Showcase Forum and The Product Showcase Art Gallery.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Dinosaurs and All Things Prehistoric

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2012 at 11:16 PM

Nabob, it's always a great joy to find you back around! Hope we get to see/hear more from you in the near future, including renders. And thanks for the props on our posted work!

Just to chime in on the recent theme in this thread, DAZ has a stated policy that they will not do dinosaurs or prehistorics. That's why Raul moved away and, to some extent, why DigitalI is no longer creating content. When we started this thread, it was for those reasons. DAZ has their reasons for their decision - economic. Let's face it, this is a niche within a niche market. But I think many of us that are passionate about prehistorics still feel a bit abandoned. I also think it's a shame that they didn't transfer some of the more active threads and the years and years of useful content they contained. Here's hoping that this thread can become as successful and long-lived as the previous one at DAZ, and thanks to those that are participating.

lmx3d ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2012 at 3:36 AM

Thanks Nabob! We are all migrated here. Rendo is more dino-friendly and Raul production is coming regularly. Like spinosaurus and stego, probably other DAZ old critters like T-rex will be restyled by DR sometimes. And it's good to have our galleries where is our thread!

nabob21 ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 9:07 PM
Online Now!

I see that Dinoraul has released a number of new tree sets suitable for prehistoric scenes. Has anyone tried them out yet?

MNArtist ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 9:10 PM

I've tried them all out. Most are very, very good. Slow to render in Poser, but they work well in Vue and populate into ecosystems well. What I find particularly nice, is that you can use the plants in Vue to create a background, then import that to poser and use the same plants in the foreground which really helps to tie the whole image together.

That's my "two cents" anyway.

artbyphil ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 3:55 AM

Yes I've been using quite a few of the sets in Daz studio they seem to work well and look really good.

I've been experimenting  with creating some flat picture Plaines with a mask  for backgrounds and just having a few actual trees in the foreground.   

Now I've got my eye on some of the latest ones that I haven't got yet.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 6:47 AM

Hope everyone got the notice that Dinoraul is today's Vendor Showcase and his entire store is 35% off!Sale lasts just for today, so hurry!

artbyphil ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 7:45 AM

Quote - Hope everyone got the notice that Dinoraul is today's Vendor Showcase and his entire store is 35% off!Sale lasts just for today, so hurry!

Yep just been contemplating what to throw in the cart, so many things on the wish list! decisions, decisions!

A few more trees I think and tempted by the Talarurus as I'm a bit lacking in ankylosaurs in fact I realsie I actually  haven't done an image with one yet.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 7:48 AM

Quote -  tempted by the Talarurus as I'm a bit lacking in ankylosaurs in fact I realsie I actually  haven't done an image with one yet.

His Talarurus is really good. I think his best Ankylosaur here.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2012 at 11:28 AM · edited Sat, 25 August 2012 at 11:31 AM

Huge Sale on DINORAUL right now!!!

Lots of awesome realistic and beautifully textured DINOSAURS!!!

~Ariana~

oopsie, I guess someone else posted this too.... :P Happy Coincidence!

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Rainework ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2012 at 1:15 AM

Just a quick note to the lovers of all things dino... thanks for sharing your enthusiasm! I have found in my explorations of various galleries that most images created featuring prehistoric times and/or dinosaurs have a few things in common: meticulous attention to detail, realistic creature posing and fabulous textures.

As a Poser user and self-professed dragon geek, I am always looking for ways to increase the realism of scaling and rough skin textures. Any suggestions?

MNArtist ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2012 at 7:28 AM

Quote - I am always looking for ways to increase the realism of scaling and rough skin textures. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! Are you looking at creating your own textures, or increasing realism through rendering? What softwares are you using?

Rainework ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 7:29 PM

Quote - > Quote - I am always looking for ways to increase the realism of scaling and rough skin textures. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! Are you looking at creating your own textures, or increasing realism through rendering? What softwares are you using?

The short answer to that is... both! I would love to know how to get the most out of existing textures through render settings (I am self-taught and have never used "bump" which I suspect may be important) and I would also love to create my own textures since I always have specific ideas of what I want scales and rough skin to look like (as I'm sure we all do). I am using Poser 9 and Photoshop cs5 extended. Though I did take advantage of the free software downloads offered at Daz3D of Hexagon, Bryce and Daz Studio I haven't delved into them as of yet.

Rainework ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 7:32 PM

Hey Dino fans, just wanted to give you a heads up that while surfing around the Published Artist sale over at Daz I noticed that artist RawArt has included some texture packs for prehistoric creatures that some of you might want to check out... They are 50% off at the moment.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2012 at 11:23 PM

I am working on some textures for Dragons. Maybe I could do some for Dino's too?!

Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

artbyphil ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2012 at 5:39 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I am always looking for ways to increase the realism of scaling and rough skin textures. Any suggestions?

The short answer to that is... both! I would love to know how to get the most out of existing textures through render settings (I am self-taught and have never used "bump" which I suspect may be important) and I would also love to create my own textures since I always have specific ideas of what I want scales and rough skin to look like (as I'm sure we all do). I am using Poser 9 and Photoshop cs5 extended. Though I did take advantage of the free software downloads offered at Daz3D of Hexagon, Bryce and Daz Studio I haven't delved into them as of yet.

When It comes to texturing bump is really useful.

Even better still is getting to grips with displacement.

Though I started with poser I mainly use  Daz studio now, haven’t used poser for a good while. I really like the way displacement works in Daz Studio now I’ve got to know it. I assume its similar in poser but the settings are probably different to get the same effect.

The main thing is to not have it too high or the mesh explodes all over the place. In daz studio I use between O.20 to 0.60 and -0.20 to -0.60.  The size of the dinosaur/model makes a difference as does  the size of the part. For instance a small part like the claws may need the lower end and the skin the higher end of those settings though as I say this may work differently in poser and you will have to try different settings.

Another thing I find important in bringing out the skin texture is lighting and the balance between light and shade. I tend to go for quite a dramatic look myself :)

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 7:23 AM

Time to clear out those wishlists! Dinoraul's store is 40% off as VOM!

lmx3d ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 7:34 AM

Shit!!! I have all!:glare:

artbyphil ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 1:07 PM

Ho no! it looks like my wallet is heading for life support! 😄

Rainework ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 9:11 PM

Just a quick note to say thanks to artbyphil and MNartist for your questions and responses about my attempts to improve my texturing - all help is greatly appreciated and I will start experimenting with displacement asap. Enjoy the Dinoraul sale!

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2012 at 11:36 PM

You're more than welcome, Nimeria! And you can always send a site mail if you have specific questions.

Happy rendering!

GXD60 ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 2:47 AM

Hi, everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

Recently I was disappointed when I realized that some of Dinoraul’s models are no longer available for purchasing here at RMP, two dinosaurs: Shunosaurus and Achelousaurus. Various other DR models disappeared from RMP as well. Fortunately, those other models appeared shortly after at CP, just not two dinosaurs I mentioned and it has been a while.

What do you think? Is there any chance or a way for these models to reappear again here or at CP? I really need them! Especially Shunosaurus (sauropods are my favorites).

Anyway, thanks for your help.

artbyphil ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 5:55 AM

Quote - Hi, everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

Recently I was disappointed when I realized that some of Dinoraul’s models are no longer available for purchasing here at RMP, two dinosaurs: Shunosaurus and Achelousaurus. Various other DR models disappeared from RMP as well. Fortunately, those other models appeared shortly after at CP, just not two dinosaurs I mentioned and it has been a while.

What do you think? Is there any chance or a way for these models to reappear again here or at CP? I really need them! Especially Shunosaurus (sauropods are my favorites).

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that they had gone as I got them ages ago. I've looked in all the usual places and cannot see them anywhere.

Maybe he's planing updated versions?  

MNArtist ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 8:29 AM · edited Sun, 25 November 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quote - Hi, everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me with something.

i wouldn't count on it. I think Raul is done releasing prehistoric animals, at least for the time being.

nabob21 ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 9:06 AM
Online Now!

Oh no! I was afraid of that happening. He was so prolific for so long that I was afraid that he might become burned out. Hopefully he will return to them some day especially after posting the Gargoyleosaurus in his gallery recently. There are still so many new dinos I am hoping he will model.

Well at least he has given us a huge variety of models (both plant and dino) to work with and hopefully in the new year I can actually get back to making some images and putting them to use.

nabob21

GXD60 ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 11:49 AM · edited Sun, 25 November 2012 at 11:58 AM

Maybe if I send a PM to Raul notifying him about it, maybe that would help? Maybe he is not aware that some of his models are not available any more. Only I don’t know if that’s OK, I don’t want to bother him.

lmx3d ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2012 at 2:33 PM

i wouldn't count on it. I think Raul is done releasing prehistoric animals, at least for the time being.

Agree with MN. But we hope that Raul will find again the pleasure to make what he make at his best!

nabob21 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 2:51 PM
Online Now!

New plant and fantasy creature models posted by Dinoraul. Good to have him back in the marketplace.

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 3:27 PM

Quote - New plant and fantasy creature models posted by Dinoraul. Good to have him back in the marketplace.

Agree there, Nabob. 

For those interested,  Raul is offering his Gargoyleosaurus at CGTrader

http://www.cgtrader.com/index.php?force_sid=a690311d2c7988c85c1715f88678671a&cl=author&name=Dinoraul

But note that he has increased the price. For what it's worth, this is a reflection of Raul's frustration that many of his models have been used for commercial projects and he has not received credit, let alone compensation, for the models used in those productions. It may seem like "sticker shock," but when you compare his work to any other prehistoric animals being offered anywhere, even the new price is a good deal (compare to $100 - $150 for standard Jurassic Park models that are not rigged for Poser or DS). It's just not what we're used to, and probably not what most hobbyists can afford.

lmx3d ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 3:39 PM

100% with Jim (MNArtist) theory.

nabob21 ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:32 PM
Online Now!

Well that certainly sucks all around. Leave it to the jackasses of the world to ruin it for people. I can certainly understand Raul's point of view. It was remarkable that he provided so many fantastic models for such great prices. I always looked forward to his new releases and was fortunate enough to be able to purchase almost all of them to date. The new prices will put a damper on that but I will still purchase his models as I can. I don't blame him for what he has been forced to do, he deserves both compensation and credit for his creations. I will just have to be more selective in my purchases from now on, and learn to savour the anticipation of a new purchase (kind of like that old ketchup commercial). I am just glad that he has not decided to stop producing his models altogether. I also hope he continues to post his images as well. He always does such great work.

And speaking of images, MNArtist and Imx3d, your work just gets better and better. Your new textures and feathered dinosaurs are absolutely outstanding and always inspiring!

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quote - Well that certainly sucks all around. Leave it to the jackasses of the world to ruin it for people. I can certainly understand Raul's point of view. It was remarkable that he provided so many fantastic models for such great prices. I always looked forward to his new releases and was fortunate enough to be able to purchase almost all of them to date. The new prices will put a damper on that but I will still purchase his models as I can. I don't blame him for what he has been forced to do, he deserves both compensation and credit for his creations. I will just have to be more selective in my purchases from now on, and learn to savour the anticipation of a new purchase (kind of like that old ketchup commercial). I am just glad that he has not decided to stop producing his models altogether. I also hope he continues to post his images as well. He always does such great work.

And speaking of images, MNArtist and Imx3d, your work just gets better and better. Your new textures and feathered dinosaurs are absolutely outstanding and always inspiring!

Thanks, Nabob! Appreciate the shout out, and cheers to everything you said re: Raul.

lmx3d ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 2:26 AM

Thanks for me too Nabob! Hope to see a new post from you very soon with a new Raul release! ;-)

Luca

artbyphil ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2013 at 4:13 AM

What I  find  hard to comprehend  is why people would do commercial projects with Rauls models and not even bother to credit him. Seems like such a simple and obvious thing to do. Even offering to get  him on board for the projects would be a good idea as far as I can see.

It’s a shame though that its people like us who come here,  who are dino enthusiasts and make images for that reason (I’ve only ever spent money on my dino images and never made a penny from one so far) will be priced out of the market and the very people who are making money from them  and may be able  to afford it will carry on.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sun, 17 March 2013 at 2:10 PM

I may get into trouble for posting this, but a bunch of DR's models are on sale at Content Paradise. 

nabob21 ( ) posted Sun, 17 March 2013 at 7:19 PM
Online Now!

Thanks MNArtist!

foxterrierosity ( ) posted Fri, 22 March 2013 at 4:38 PM

Just a heads up, Dinofans... Don't forget to take advantage of the 23% off Spring Savings Event for Prime Members and grab some of your missing Dinoraul Wishlist items.

MNArtist ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2013 at 8:04 AM · edited Thu, 11 April 2013 at 8:08 AM

file_493507.jpg

RIP OFF ALERT!

I found this item on CGTrader yesterday.

http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/animals/mammal/realistic-mammoth-elephant

For any of you that own Raul's Mammoth, you'll recognize it. 

I have notified Raul, and he has contacted CGTrader, but they are standing behind the artist and saying there's no proof that it was stolen from his mesh. 

It's in no small part because of these types of thefts that Raul is not making new models. I encourage everyone that loves Raul's work to send emails to CGTrader and to the artist in question, and let them know that we recognize this as theft, and will not support it or an organization that promotes it.

nabob21 ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2013 at 9:28 PM
Online Now!

That is unbelievable and incredibly blatant! It must be very disappointing for Raul to have the vendor refuse to take any action. I have contacted the vendor and the person claiming it as their own work the over this.

nabob21 ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2013 at 11:59 AM
Online Now!

Yeah! A new dinosaur release by Raul in the marketplace - an updated and feathered Tyrannosaurus rex.

MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2013 at 12:20 PM

Long time coming!

artbyphil ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2013 at 1:17 PM

Yea noticed that, nice to see him back on the dinos :)

lmx3d ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2013 at 5:20 PM · edited Sat, 22 June 2013 at 5:21 PM

We hope this will be a new start in the production!!!

nabob21 ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 1:50 PM
Online Now!

Does anyone know if Dinoraul is producing anymore dinosaur models? I have noticed that MNArtist and lmx3d are doing their own morphs of existing models but haven't seen anything new dinosaur wise from Dinoraul for quite some time (at least in all of the usual places).

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 2:00 PM

Nada. He seems to have retired from Dino's and is now just doing his little monster things.

:(

lmx3d ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 3:51 PM

We can try to start a petion to him but i doubt about any success. For sure we have lost a big resource.......we can do great morphs with his models but for others we will need to start from scratch and it's not the same!

MNArtist ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 4:52 PM

Or at least petition to change his name! Nomoredinoraul

cosmo71 ( ) posted Thu, 17 July 2014 at 5:53 PM

Quote - Initiating a post here as DAZ no longer wants to support us fans of the work of Dinoraul, Swidhelm and those that generously contribute to our fixation.

This is to provide a gathering spot, and to post suggestions for desired prehistoric models of all kinds. Hopefully RMP will be more welcoming then DAZ, and more understanding that these forums are a powerful marketing tool to keep people coming to the site in general and purchasing ALL products that are offered.

Also hope wel see the same level of participation here that we have in the past.

what do you mean with "DAZ no longer wants to support us fans of the work of Dinoraul,..." ?

tchadensis ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2014 at 4:55 PM

Just found this thread and while reading the discussion followed the link to DinoRaul's page.  Despite having searched for some early human models (and finding nothing) I was thrilled to see his Homo Habilis.  I'll be sending him an oh-so-nice email begging for a few others from our family tree like Sahelanthropus tchadensis or the ever popular  Austrolopithecus afarensis. 

Is anyone here an anthropologist by chance?

MNArtist ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 2:34 PM

lmx3d and I have just released our Carcharodontosaurus add-on pack for DR's Giganotosaurus.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=106467

This is our second set. The first provided add=ons to DR's Pentaceratops to create Chasmosaurus, Bravoceratops and Agujaceratops.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/species-for-pentaceratops/105789/

We have to be honest - sales have not been great on these. So if you have feedback on quality or price, we'd like to hear it, either here or through site mail. Obviously, this is a "niche" of a "niche" market, so we're not expecting to blow the doors off, but we were hoping for a little more interest than what we've seen.

Thanks!

artbyphil ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2014 at 2:54 PM

IJust picked it up earlier today. Only had chance for a bit of a play with it so far but looking good to me!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.