Fri, May 17, 8:32 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 17 2:35 am)

Subject: OT: Skyrim

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 12:12 PM · edited Fri, 17 May 2024 at 4:30 AM

You just have to get this game, it's just amazing...

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 1:39 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2011 at 1:46 PM

I am rebuilding a PC just for this game.... I already have lost countless hours between Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout3. 

The opening scenes of the game are very impressive. Very fluid even on older hardware.

Once again, it makes me wish for a hybrid 3D software with game quality previz for setting up scenes followed by a deeper raytracer engine for the final shot.

Maybe one day...

In the meatime, here ar some real-time landscape rendering :)  

http://www.youtube.com/user/BethesdaSoftworks#p/c/7139983F41BCED20/1/fn0N294NFy0 

CobraEye ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 3:15 PM

I just started and so far A+++.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 3:32 PM

Graphics are just amazing, have you seen the water effects, stunning...And the Aurora at night, also stunning..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

andrewbell ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:14 PM

Been playing it hard .... here are some great glitches I have literally just rendered ;-) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXNRn9beI8

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:17 PM

My Sons bought the X-box 360 version, graphics are nowhere near as good as pc..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

andrewbell ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:20 PM

Thats on medium too! Cannot record screen at a good framerate when they are on Ultra. I do like using a controller for these types of game and have xbox contoller that I play it with. Battlefield 3 looks incredible on my machine ;-) 

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:27 PM

I have Skyrim set on High, wasn't sure it wouls work with my graphics card but it looks and runs awesome..

I'm using a 9800gt..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

andrewbell ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:31 PM

That is good going I had an 8800 once upon a time ;-) I am using 470 GTX, not a problem for it on maximum everything... a thing of beauty.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:48 PM

I looked at getting a GTX 550 today, £115 but thought I'd try it first, glad I did, saved myself all that cash...LOL.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

andrewbell ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 4:58 PM

Damn straight if it does the job! I only really got this one for GPU rendering in Adobe premier, it is also useful for gaming lol

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 2:00 AM

Tried it on Ultra this morning quickly before work..LOL, seems to be working on that setting too, amazing...

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

lindans ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 12:28 PM

It's on my daughters Christmas wish list LOL!! seem to be very good reviews

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 1:02 PM

She won't be disappointed, its' a visually stunning game and as per the previous versions; Oblivion and Morrowind, the storyline is just as stunning..

Off to play it some more now...LOL.

No artwork being done for a while I think...hahahahahaha..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

CobraEye ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 1:11 PM

It is amazing how this game eats our time.  There is not a game out there that can hold our attention like Skyrim.  The arch and the mood of this game are fantastic.  So many quests, its overwhelming. Thank the gods it is just a game.  However, the item gui stinks.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 1:31 PM

Agree about the GUI, difficult to do things fast..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2011 at 3:25 PM

I still find myself in Fallout 3.  I want to live in the DC Wasteland at times.  So much to do with different characters created.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

CobraEye ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2011 at 10:38 PM

Shawn, then this game is for you.  The charcters are awesome both the ones created and met. 

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2011 at 1:06 AM

I have started Morrowind recently.  And then plan to go through Oblivion after.  Then I will be ready for Skyrim.  I plan to buy it when it is the Game of the Year edition and comes with all the DLCs.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2011 at 12:05 AM

Nice plan.  I thought to do the same but after reading the Bethesda forum I ran out and bought it.  I couldn't resist.

perilous7 ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2011 at 3:22 AM

i know it looks great,but i know for a fact as soon as i start playing it,i will end up broke and divorced lol coz work and wife will get forgotten :-)

A cleaved head no longer plots.

http://www.perilous7.moonfruit.com

tsquare ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2011 at 6:10 AM

I am really loving Skyrim too!  The graphics are wonderful!  My only wish for these games is that they would do co-op versions so my best buddy could play with me!  That would be ultimate for my roleplay!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2011 at 11:11 AM

Passed a waterfall today [in game] and there were salmon jumping up the falls...Cool..LOL..

One thing I haven't come across yet though, a bar with strippers in like there was in Morrowind...LOL..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

lindans ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2011 at 1:34 PM

Well I gave it to my daughter this morning and she's been playing it ever since (it's now 6.30pm lol)

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sun, 20 November 2011 at 10:56 PM

While I don't have the game yet, I reinstalled Oblivion and luckily my old saves were backed up so I didn't have to start all over again. D:

Osper ( ) posted Mon, 21 November 2011 at 12:03 PM

I'm envious!  No store in town has them in yet.   But..........They will!

Rids ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2011 at 6:37 AM

I can't see me doing any CG for a while, I'm blown away by this game. I played Fallout New Vegas for over 1000 hours and am already 125 hours into Skyrim, I just can't put it down :biggrin:

kylumi ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 1:36 AM

Its on my Christmas list along with "Diablo 3" [January realease]...I am getting the PC versions.  I am playing "CoD:MW3" at the mo.

CobraEye ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 10:59 AM

This game is so good that for the last few nights I have dreamt that I was exploring beautiful Skyrim with all its mystery and adventure.  Even though they have changed the format in many ways with missing spells, attributes, and skills...  The game is one of their best ever. 

Osper ( ) posted Wed, 30 November 2011 at 11:21 AM

Hey "TF", just look what you started.  Hours and hours of lost time!!!!  LOL!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2011 at 4:26 PM

I love it. Some 50 hours total- It is a good thing I dont watch TV. But it has eaten into my 3D and reading hobbies!

On Xbox360.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2011 at 7:48 AM

drags self out of skyrim

LOL ;)

Ok, I upgraded form a 240 to 560 Nvidia and yes, it does make a difference, 240 cannot relaly do Ultra settings ;)

but £160 was too much really for a video card but hey, it was Xmas prezzie to myself :P Normally wait to they are udner £100

had to strip my damn PC 's HD cages down and reconfigure my hard drvies positions, because as always, recent video cards are grossly oversize, this one takes up THREE expansion bay slots, jeesh, so needed ot move the hard drives to fit it in

If you wait a few years, like my 240 nvidia, they get tiny, and more powerful/less power used

Highly recommened following mods:

Makes ore veins glow, as they're hard to spot, normally
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193

Post Process injector for high saturation, looks gorgeous
http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

To get rid of clouds, let you zoom in and rotate (even upwards!) on the 3D map
add this to end of your skyrim.ini file (in my documents/games/skyrim, usually and of course BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL .INI FILE!)

[MapMenu]
sMapCloudNIF=0
fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=8000.0000
bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1
fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0
fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.3700
fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000
fMapWorldYawRange=400.0000

I recommend turning off all antialiasing and turn on FXAA in the options when you start Skyrim as it's much less resources using than AntiAliasing

latest Nvidia beta drivers have Ambinet Occlusion!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-29-new-nvidia-geforce-drivers-for-skyrim-mw3

Advanced Shaders, can only use ONE of them, I went with HDR one as other is much same as FXAA post process injector, dynamiclaly affects light/shadows so they work properly, ie, dungeons/nights are darker

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=822

Advanced Nigh Sky, I chose blue
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=85

HD textures:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=607

ok, the post process Injector itself isn't too big a hit on FPS, but, the HDR one IS  and so is Ambient Occlusion, and combined they're a MASSIVE hit on FPS so don't try unless have 560 card or SLI etc
Combined it's all just freaking awesome!
Alas, since it's post process, it doesn't show on screenshots so I can't show you :(
(I don't have paintshoppro or photoshop etc for screen grabs on this rig, keep art/game rigs seperate)

and now...back to Syrim ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2011 at 8:30 AM · edited Mon, 05 December 2011 at 8:33 AM

ok see if I can uplaod some screenshots I did with FRAPs ;)

OK, this shows how the ambient occlusion and HDR helps
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/skyrim/skyrim_mods1.jpg

and this shows how luscious it is outside ;)

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/skyrim/skyrim_mods2.jpg

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

CobraEye ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2011 at 12:41 PM

Wow! Looks great.  I have just finished my character build and completed the main quest & guild quests.  I still have over 25 quests left!  I've never seen a game in all my life with this many quests.  All in all this is the best game I've played in a long time.  My only gripe is the game would even better if bethesda didn't take out so many traditional hallmarks that made the Elder Scrolls Series so much different than all the other games out there.  No spell crafting is a BIG let down, but the game is still a success.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2011 at 5:24 PM

oops, damn, 2nd link was wrong, here's right one

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/skyrim/skyrim_mods2.jpg

CobraEye

Well, in that case you never played Elite space games  ;)
well techically yes yer right, as Skyrim quests are waaaay more involced as best Elite had was pretty simple, but was 1st to have random generated quests, now they're much better of course plus the main ones are very well done

however for a better STORY, but it's the entire game, is Deus Ex, Human Revolution. So it's kind of like more tightly better woven, but much more limited versus huge sprawling "explorathon with quests" that is Skyrim. "Blade Runner" versus "lord of the RIngs" as it were. Each is outstanding but different

Elder Scrolls games, like Fallout games and the "X Beyond the Frontier" and "elite" games are "sandbox" games, vast, and most of the fun's about exporing, i try and do as much wlaking between quest areas in Skyrim as I can, as you get tons of random encounter,s beautiful visuals etc :)
looking forward to the next "X" game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Rebirth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0

As said in previosu thread, IMHO, games are vaslty superior now to Hollywood, in so many ways. Fed up with the mostly "processed bland cheese" of Hollywood now, "pretty boys and girls with no character, plots with more holes than a collander" etc, hehe
"Avatar" was gorgeous but was an absolute disgrace for a plot for example

Deus Ex Human Revoultion is incredibly subversive and wouldn't be comprehended or allowed by most of Hollywood now
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something!" was it's tagline and part of it's theme, absolute brilliance
Once, film led with asking questions, now, it's mostly formulaic/too smooth dross.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.