Fri, May 17, 10:30 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 17 9:24 pm)

Subject: Poser Sighting

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 3:20 PM · edited Thu, 09 May 2024 at 4:45 PM

Attached Link: Fact or Faked "Nightly News Alien"

This is a good one. If you haven't seen Fact or Faked, it's on the SyFy channel, and has a group of people who investigate viral videos, trying to figure out what's going on. (Team leader is ex-FBI, no less.)

In this one, the perp comes clean right away, and what do we see when they ask him how he did it? You guessed it.

At 2:38 of the video, something very familiar appears.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 3:40 PM

Yeah, I saw that too ;). Was Poser Pro 2010.

Laurie

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 3:43 PM

LOL, classic....

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 3:50 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes the 'odd' shows. ;) Amazing how many people couldn't see how fake this is. 

lkendall ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 3:59 PM

I have seen James recenly on a few commercials. I should have written down the products.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

grichter ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2011 at 6:21 PM

There is a medical app for the iPhone that has a preview-promo image that I think looks like a nakkid M4 sans his toast in the latest Mac Life magazine.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 12:01 AM

I'm not sure about that show, they're supposed to be experts at analyzing yet they couldn't tell that the alien was a cruddy animation? Even if they didn't notice the shadow being wrong when they first saw it, I knew right away that it was a terrible haox. :/

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 1:26 AM · edited Mon, 25 April 2011 at 1:27 AM

I agree with JohnDoe...

I can't believe they even had to ask if it was fake. Well...I take that back...I "Can" believe it because they'll put ANYTHING on TV these days.

It's sad if you think about it really. Just how bad and incomprehensibly mind numbingly stupid "most" television has become.

TV used to be free...Now ya gotta pay for TV that is 99% garbage.

"Reality" TV especially.

Just sayin...

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 1:40 AM

Quote - It's sad if you think about it really. Just how bad and incomprehensibly mind numbingly stupid "most" television has become.

"Reality" TV especially.

Just sayin...

Tom

I so completely and totally agree with all of that...lol. I mean, now we even have "reality" shows about a fake sport for crying out loud (or maybe that's just me crying).

Laurie

prixat ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 3:04 AM

My mum asked me how they did some stunts in a film that we watched together.

I've almost got her convinced that the action is real and that actors are expendable! :biggrin:

regards
prixat

FightingWolf ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 8:20 AM

I just saw the video.. That's awesome. ha ha ha.  This is the best Poser sighting I've seen in a very long time. ha ha ha.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 11:21 AM

Quote - I agree with JohnDoe...

I can't believe they even had to ask if it was fake. Well...I take that back...I "Can" believe it because they'll put ANYTHING on TV these days.

It's sad if you think about it really. Just how bad and incomprehensibly mind numbingly stupid "most" television has become.

"Reality" TV especially.

Just sayin...

Tom

So true it needs repeating!!!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 4:19 PM

thats awesome. I always like to see where poser is used. :)

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 5:31 PM

Quote - This is a good one. If you haven't seen Fact or Faked, it's on the SyFy channel, and has a group of people who investigate viral videos, trying to figure out what's going on. (Team leader is ex-FBI, no less.)

In this one, the perp comes clean right away, and what do we see when they ask him how he did it? You guessed it.

At 2:38 of the video, something very familiar appears.

Yeah I sent that to Sixus1 Media on Facebook. It was their alien.

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 9:28 PM

oookay... You've just released the critique Kraken!

First, why is it that people who are"professionals" use either stock purchased figures straight out of the box with no effort to make it look half-way decent, or get paid for the cruddiest animation ever seen? Car insurance, in particular. Some excellent work, and some that makes your eyes shatter. And they get paid for that!

TV programs. What the heck has happened to the History Channel and Discovery?! There are a couple that are lighly amusing. I like Meteorite Men and Mantracker, but I can't even look at all the poorly-behaved Real (fill in the blank) of (fill in city), damaged people and their appalling addictions/fixations, or intimate glimpses into lives I really don't need to see. Shooting gators from a row boat is not my idea of pleasant viewing.

Then we have the World's Dumbest... what is this? A manual on how not to survive puberty?  On the upside, one feels slightly less stupid in comparison.

On the other hand, Discovery Science is maintaining a connection to theoretical physicists, archeologists, and paleo-geologists that is refreshing. Who'd a thunk Zahi Hawas would be a rockstar?  Michio Kaku was born to be one.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 25 April 2011 at 10:09 PM

once P9 comes out, we could start posting video fakes of many non-existent things, providing somebody has done good poser models of bigfoot, chupacabra, giant trout, elvis, nessie, jackalopes, yeti et al.  two big probs with fake e.t. in desert:

• he didn't even use IDL nor try to match the background lighting
  • no multicellular entity can traverse interplanetary nor interstellar space without being destroyed by radiation

prixat ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 12:50 AM

I liked the bit where he explains that the area is known for huge lightning storms.

..and instead of saying the the sightings might be of different forms of weather effects, the woman (the translator?) says "So the ships might come here to re-charge!"

regards
prixat

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 10:27 AM

i think the explanation was fake and that video was the rel thing.

coverup

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

anupaum ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 10:40 AM

Note that what really clued them in to the falsity of the footage was lighting . . .  Gotta love Poser for its lousy lights!

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 11:03 AM

naw --its just the shitty compositing. bad lighting not from poser but from the creator..did not match the lighting direction.

the entire thing is shit....plain and simple. like what is that even doing on a show?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

anupaum ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 11:05 AM

I find it VERY hard to emulate background lighting in Poser.  I probably spend more time trying to get the lighting right than any other single aspect of using the program.

scanmead ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 7:32 PM

Lighting in any render engine is a science based on art. We can, however try to have only one sun casting shadows in any given earth-based image. ;)

Ahh... Miss Nancy, do not dis the chupacabra! There is, in fact, a hybrid roaming parts of Texas created by Mexican gray wolves migrating north and finding the local coyote girls irresistable. Not a crypto, and definitely not attractive, but real. They should begin appearing in designer dog kennels very soon.

As for why it appeared... anyone heard of Rebecca Black? (over 120 million views) Attention begets attention.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 26 April 2011 at 9:55 PM

Holds clenched fist to the sky

YELLS "Curse you Scanmead"

I could have gone my entire life without searching out and viewing Rebecca Black.

I would really like my 3 minutes and 48 seconds back.

Face Plant..Ya got me...I stand defeated.

8 )

Tom 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 10:07 PM

I thought she was ~o.k.

they said she was bad, but apparently they never heard "william hung" sing.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 10:09 PM

Must...resist...urge...to...search....william hung.

scanmead ( ) posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 11:41 PM · edited Wed, 27 April 2011 at 11:46 PM

Geez, Hawk... you hadn't seen that?! What has been heard can not be unheard. g

To tell the truth, there is much worse out there. William Hung is a super star! It's so bad, you have to love it.

You might want to run up to Sponjetta's studio...

After watching a NatGeo show on earth's geology, and cringing at the texturing atrocities, I'm wondering what would happen if someone here put their mind to it, how big the splash would be. Or is it just the badly-done pieces that have that 'realistic' feel?

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 12:37 AM

Nope...had not seen that...and yes..."What has been heard can not be unheard"...I am now stupider for having watched that.

I think the last really stupid thing I saw was some guy singing about "Chocolate Rain"...Goes to show just how out of the stupid loop I have been...8 )

Do I dare indulge in William Hung?...or run up to Sponjetta's Studio?...I'm not sure this damage old brain can take it.

But you know I will...lol

Re:NatGeo...yeah...some of those CG clips make me wonder..."Even I could do that"...and I'm prolly the worst artist on this site.

Tom

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 5:46 PM

Oh, no, you ain't Hawk! I could name quite a few who are the visual equivalent of William Hung, and have rather a large number of sycophants... erm... fans. You know, the ones who show up with every platform out there, and don't bother to turn on shadows in any of them... or adjust the gamma. ooOOoo... glowing wood chairs!

Ooookay. The Chocolate Rain guy is really weird. But he can carry a tune. A very weird tune. Chocolate rain... really?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.