Fri, May 31, 10:36 PM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 27 10:13 pm)

Subject: Importing Poser Dynamic Hair into Vue

MNArtist ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2011 at 2:49 PM · edited Mon, 27 May 2024 at 4:07 AM

file_464073.jpg

Has anyone had success importing a figure with Poser dynamic hair into Vue? (Poser8 to V9I in my case). The hair objects import fine, but because of the difference in shaders, the textures are pretty screwed up. I've tried playing a bit with transparency, alpha, etc. to try and get something that looks descent, but no success yet. As you can see from the examples below, I'm doing this on Dinoraul's Utahraptor, but the same would apply to human figures with dynamic hair. I'm also wondering if SkinVue (which I've never used) can help address this. It's almost like there needs to be a fall-off filter for transparency to taper the ends?

The first image is the model in Poser8, the second (next post) is the same model imported to Vue9I

Any thoughts are appreciated.

MNArtist ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2011 at 2:50 PM

file_464074.jpg

Here's the Vue image

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2011 at 4:12 PM

You're using Poser's materials in Vue, or letting Vue guestimate?  My computer is too slow to render Poser dynamic hair in Vue, so I'm guessing it would also look like your hair if I let it finish.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

MNArtist ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2011 at 4:15 PM

Hey Shawn 

In the render, that's just the way the hair material imported to Vue with no adjustments except to tone down the specularity a bit.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 5:00 AM

Is it the same if you import using the POser shader tree? And did you try the several Poser SDK options?

Wolf-999 ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 7:15 AM

I think Vue is not able to handle dynamic hair very well...

MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 8:05 AM

Quote - Is it the same if you import using the POser shader tree? And did you try the several Poser SDK options?

Yep. Same results.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 9:20 AM

I have trick from Vue6, dunno if it still works, but if you add 86% transparency to the hair, and delete all hair functions Vue has created upon import, the hair should come out ok. But the render times will increase a lot.

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 10:27 AM

file_464106.jpg

I prefer Vue materials too. No Poser shader here!! You have a lot more control. Size do matter scale the object up. Here in my example the girl is 300 meter tall. The hair material is set single sided with transparency 30%, enable back-light 100%.

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 10:28 AM
MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 10:32 AM

Mazak -

That's looking great. Did you scale her at import, or resize once you brought her into Vue?

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 10:48 AM

file_464109.txt

I imported the girl with "Resize object Automatic". After that I scaled here to 300 meters. I add the material for download. Rename extension .txt to .zip!

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

MNArtist ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 11:05 AM

Thanks, Mazak.

Sorry to be stupid, but where do you set the "single sided" and "enable back light"? I've looked through the material editor and am not finding them.

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 11:09 AM · edited Sat, 15 January 2011 at 11:10 AM

file_464110.jpg

Here the hair with no transparent. Look good too. Render in 1/10 time.

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 11:12 AM

file_464111.jpg

> Quote - Thanks, Mazak. > > Sorry to be stupid, but where do you set the "single sided" and "enable back light"? I've looked through the material editor and am not finding them.

Here:

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 12:56 PM

file_464112.jpg

Here test on my Poser Grizzly 😄

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Mazak ( ) posted Sat, 15 January 2011 at 12:58 PM · edited Sat, 15 January 2011 at 12:58 PM

file_464113.jpg

And here the memory usage :scared:

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

bigbraader ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 5:03 AM

Interesting! I've never had much luck with the dynamic hair in Vue. Actually I made a test like the the grizzly bear (actually VERY much like it) but gave it up, as it looked awful in Vue.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 5:10 AM · edited Sun, 16 January 2011 at 5:11 AM

Mine come out like hair helmets in Vue.  I don't remember if any version of Vue was able to make Dynamic hair look like it came from Poser.

Mazak ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 5:15 AM

Ja to find the right setting is not easy with dynamic hair. Important beside the scale is to use radiosity mode. Without radiosity the hair will look like a wet poodle. :laugh:

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

AboranTouristCouncil ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 8:14 PM

I've been using Philippe Gerber techniques for importing Poser hair since Vue 6, and have had good success. (You can find his technique in the tutorials here at Renderoisty. He has more great tips too)

I'm really pleased see another method and I can't wait to try it in . 

Quote - > Quote - Thanks, Mazak.

Sorry to be stupid, but where do you set the "single sided" and "enable back light"? I've looked through the material editor and am not finding them.

Here:

Mazak

...Insert some witty or thought provoking comment here...

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 9:55 PM · edited Sun, 16 January 2011 at 9:56 PM

Quote - I've been using Philippe Gerber techniques for importing Poser hair since Vue 6, and have had good success. (You can find his technique in the tutorials here at Renderoisty. He has more great tips too)

Textured hair polygons from Poser work just fine in Vue.  It's the Dynamic Hair from Poser that is troublesome.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.