Sun, Jun 16, 11:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 15 9:36 pm)

Subject: Why is trying to install these things so hard?

kreidas123 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 1:26 PM · edited Sun, 26 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Hello again. Thank you from a lot of people in regards to my earlier post of introduction.

I took people's advice and went to DAZ studios to download the A4 and V4 character files. However, for some reason, I can't even download them into the system! I got the files, and started the download process, but for some reason after choosing "Poser" as the destination it has some kind of error...

"When used with Poser TM, ___ must be installed ot the same Directory as the application executable; due to restrictions on support file locations. Please select the directory that contains your Poser executable..."

What in the world is that popup about? What is a Poser Executable?

I'm starting to regret buying Poser...I didin't know that downloading content...would be so..frustating...:(

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 1:32 PM

all it means is that you have to install it to the folder that contains your Poser.exe. If you have PoserPro, you need to just make a dummy text file and name it "Poser.exe". Daz likes the Daz people to install to the Poser program folder and nowhere else. However, you can do the trick above to fool the installer into thinking it's the Poser program folder by putting the dummy Poser.exe file in the folder with the runtime you're trying to install to.

Laurie

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 1:33 PM

you dont need to instal it in the poser folder. i think there is a second doption where you can save to to your folder.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 1:35 PM

DAZ Installers were made by morons.

kreidas123 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 1:56 PM

Gonna sound like an idiotic question coming from me then...where IS the Poser.exe file? Currently using Poser 8...

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:01 PM · edited Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:03 PM

It's in the folder where Poser 8 is installed ;o). Depending on what OS you are running that might differ..lol. I have mine installed to my D drive, so mine is D:Poser8.

Since you are using Poser 8 all you need to do it find where the program is installed and point to that folder. IIRC, Victoria 4 must also be installed there and the installer must find her geometry for the Aiko morph to install. I think...lol.

Just search your computer for Poser.exe and note the path :o).

Laurie

kreidas123 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:02 PM

Yeah...the problem being is that after checking my lovely HP computer's folders...it semms to have everything but the Poser 8 folder for some funky reason...

Gonna try again:)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:04 PM

do a search for Poser.exe :o).

Laurie

kreidas123 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:04 PM

Argh.found it. It was hidden under the "Smith Micro" folder tag...
You would think that a program like this would...make things...easier to find? LOL.

kreidas123 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 2:51 PM

Alrighty..next question...

Finally downloaded everything into Poser 8! Both the Victoria and Aiko avatars! Problem is...when I open Poser to find them, it dosen't show where they are!

I read the Readme for it for both Victoria and Aiko and it said:

You can find new icons for loading this product in the following Poser Libraries:

• Figures:- "DAZ People"

But I don't see the "DAZ People tag at all...did I do something wrong? I did put in the download correctly, I think? Am I missing anything somehow?

N.B - I downloaded the Victoria 4.2 and Aiko 4.2 Base.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:01 PM

You will probably have to refresh the folder view. Do so by clicking the little round arrow at the top right in the folder. Then they'll appear :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:04 PM

i know you're having problems , but you're making a mountain out of a molehill, as do the majority of new Poser and DAZ Studio users, and also a lot of people that think they know what they're doing but actually don't have a clue.

Pay attention to where you install things.
When you installed Poser8 it told you exactly where it was going to install itself. YOU had a choice in changing the directory path. If you allow it to default, it goes to your C drive. The words on the install directory path are stated .. C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser8 ... each and every time....unless YOU change it.

Installing product files is a piece of cake. Where new folks go wrong is when they're trying to get creative and install to different than where the stuff wants to be installed. Do default until you know what you are doing.

The DAZ installers are quite easy to use, contrary to the statements made. You can change their install directory to wherever you waNT .. however ...THE daz FIGURES , FOR THE MOST PART, NEED TO GO INTO THE pOSER root  RUNTIME DIRECTORY, which is where Poser is installed and the poser.exe file resides. In case you do not know what an EXE file is:
EXE is the common filename extension denoting an executable file (a program) in the DOS, OpenVMS, Microsoft Windows, Symbian, and OS/2 operating systems. So Poser.exe is the file that runs to load Poser so you can use it. The DAZ installer needs to see that program so it knows that it can install the product to the CORRECT place.

ITS QUITE SIMPLE. point the install routine there and you're done. The DAZ installer will also search for Poser and allow you to approve of where it will install to. Place all of them in there until you learn the file structure of the program. In your case, it seems you need to learn the file structure of using a computer and how to manipulate your OS so you can find stuff as well.

The Poser program itself, is doing exactly what it is meant to do upon installation. It can't get any easier or simpler than it is.

If it sounds like I'm being harsh, don't take it too personally. Do things simply. Read the help files. Read the boxes that pop up when you try to install things. I'm just trying to help you and the rest that seem to ewant to take the same path ... kind of like the cart before the horse. Learn the basics first. If you don;t know, read...then ask when you're totally stumped. don't blame the program or the installers as they work for most people all of the time. I never have problems with them in Poser.

I download all of my purchases to a directory outside of Poser. I have D:Downloads then I have sub durectoruies for each store that I shop or by creator. I then unzip zipped products directly into those directories then copy the resulting runtime directly over the Poser runtime. This allows correct placement of all directoried and files into Poser.
The DAZ installers, once they find your Poser install, will always install there automatically. It remembers the path to use. Its a no-brainer.

NOW ... to screw with your mind, as that is what you seem to like to do, as well as others, is the fact you can have runtimes outside of the actual Poser directory. Again, this is a no-brainer. The DAZ installers need to see the Poser.exe file as discussed previously. You can make a dummy on by opening Windows NOTEPAD and typing a letter, ehatever, then saving the file calling it poser.exe. You then place that file or save it upon creation, into the external runtime you are creating. Then when you run the DAZ installer , you can point it to that external runtime and it will install the stuff to the correct directory/file structure needed for Poser.  AGAIN: REMEMBER THAT CETTAIN DAZ PRODY}UCTS REQUIRE THEY BE LOADED INTO THE KMAIN POSER RUNTIME TO WORK> the readme usually tells you that, although if there is one weakness to the DAZ installer, you can't see it until its installed, so what to do? be safe and install it direct to the main poser runtime or try and find out if it can be installed outside of it. Another trick is to install to a dummy runtime so you can read the readme...then you know where it needs to go and you can install again to the correct place.

by now your eyes are glazed over so I will stop. Use the KISS principal Keep It Simple Stupid, and you will do just fine

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:14 PM

Has the V4 figure been initialized upon installation? Daz installers also like you to do that. Otherwise you might not see the install or the figure won't work.

Try what Trekkie advises first...refresh your folder view. If that doesn't work, then close Poser and reopen.

Laurie

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:33 PM · edited Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:36 PM

Dave-So, the problem is the OP is most likely a Newbie "PC" owner as well as new to Poser. What's simple to those of us familiar with DOS and Windows and how their inner mysteries work seems simple, but let me assure you, without the base knowlege we have of how our OS works. It's really not as simple as all that. This is why we get newbies coming in here asking the same questions over and over again. They're usually new to more than just Poser.

For people unfamiliar with how their OS works, DAZ installers are supposed to be a no brainer but they're just not. All it takes is one piece being out of place to bjork up a DAZ installer like having Poser installed somewhere it's not expected to be.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:50 PM

Since you have Poser 8, you have that amazing search window that simplifies finding stuff. Just do a search for "Victoria" and "Aiko". When the results come up, a small button on the side of the search results will show up as "Locate" Simply click that and the search switches to the correct Library tab with the found content. :)

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 3:58 PM

What I'd like to know is why do DAZ installers only go up to Poser 7? Why do they not acknowledge Poser Pro or Poser 8???? I don't use my Poser 7 anymore. I do setup in Poser Pro and then render in Poser 8, but I have to install things from DAZ into Poser 7 and then manually move them into Poser Pro.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:06 PM

that's why I wrote that bit about learning how the file structure works on the OS, etc...or whatever I wrote :)
Learn the basics afore trying the advanced stuff. you know ... but I did explain more full ythe basics within that post ... to guide this and all new folks . i couldn't get my mother to understand that you had to move the mouse in order to move the cursor and that you had to doubleclick the left mouse button to activate the icon. it was pretty hard for her to understand what the mouse click was ... or what the icon stood for, or any of the common terms...so yes, I understand about the new folks. I find that I'm starting to get aggravated, however, when someone that does not understand the basics blames it on everything else other than their lack of knowledge, and is obviously attempting procedures that are beyond expertise level.

It would be good for me to see someone come in here and say they know nothing about how to use a computer and then get that part straight, then explain how to install a program, etc etc etc.
Be straight up....

I realize I'm one of those old timers that believes in learning the basics. you know , learning how to read and write, and maybe learn some English and sentence structure before becoming an editor of a magazine or something.
But then I totally forgot the fact that nowdays most people want to start out becoming a vendor and being a pro artist right away.

OK OK ..I'm being ridiculous ..or not ? the OP is seeking help, so I will now refrain from any further bashing aand hopefully he/she is not too badly offended and takes my way too straightforward approach as a community thing, as it is not. folks are very helpful here.

and as I said, the best advice I can give anyone is to learn the basics first. take those child steps, don;t be embarrased about it, and give it a good, thorough try.

Quote - Dave-So, the problem is the OP is most likely a Newbie "PC" owner as well as new to Poser. What's simple to those of us familiar with DOS and Windows and how their inner mysteries work seems simple, but let me assure you, without the base knowlege we have of how our OS works. It's really not as simple as all that. This is why we get newbies coming in here asking the same questions over and over again. They're usually new to more than just Poser.

For people unfamiliar with how their OS works, DAZ installers are supposed to be a no brainer but they're just not. All it takes is one piece being out of place to bjork up a DAZ installer like having Poser installed somewhere it's not expected to be.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:08 PM · edited Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:17 PM

file_454723.jpg

hmmmm ... I've not seen that. Went from P6 to P8. You can manually force the DAZ installer to go where you want. When the install starts ND ITS SEARCHING for Poser, hit cancel. You can then step through the install steps...one of which asks for the directory you want to install to. then point it there and viola. i had a step by step visual of this someplace, wil need to find and post.

ok here are a couple of steps ..yes, there is no mention of p7, 8, or 0pro..but i jut use the Poser ALL choice. mine always defaults to the poser path last specified, so it always goes in the right place for me.

Quote - What I'd like to know is why do DAZ installers only go up to Poser 7? Why do they not acknowledge Poser Pro or Poser 8???? I don't use my Poser 7 anymore. I do setup in Poser Pro and then render in Poser 8, but I have to install things from DAZ into Poser 7 and then manually move them into Poser Pro.

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:13 PM

nodding Yes, I've done that before to force the installer to install to Poser Pro. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant when installing V4 or M4 and the installer wants to install where the Poser.exe is, however it won't recognize the exe of Poser Pro. I have to install updates like the most recent one into Poser 7. Am I to take it that the people that create the installers over at DAZ don't have a copy of either Poser Pro or Poser 8?

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:19 PM

oh ..just create a poser.exe file as epxlained in my diatribe above and place it into the rep main directory ...

to create..open notepad, save the file as poser.exe and save it into your poser root directory ...
not sure what yours is, but it could be such:
C:Program Filessmith microposerpr2010

Quote - nodding Yes, I've done that before to force the installer to install to Poser Pro. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant when installing V4 or M4 and the installer wants to install where the Poser.exe is, however it won't recognize the exe of Poser Pro. I have to install updates like the most recent one into Poser 7. Am I to take it that the people that create the installers over at DAZ don't have a copy of either Poser Pro or Poser 8?

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:20 PM

btw to latexluv ... is it fun wearing latex and doing it? Never tried.
oops..my mind is off in the gutter again

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:41 PM

smirking at Dave-so I'd forgotten that little trick of a fake poser.exe. But wouldn't it just be better for their customer base if they updated their install programs to recognize version Poser Pro and Poser 8 because when installing V4 or M4 (or whatever new generation that comes along), I've had no success with the Poser ALL option.

Weapons of choice:

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 4:46 PM
Online Now!

DAZ installers always target Poser.exe, regardless of which version you use.  However, PoserPro and PoserPro 2010 executable is PoserPro.exe which confuses the heck out of the DAZ installers.  The dummy trick works.  Period.  Dave-So's post illustrates the options I always get when I install my DAZ content.  I have P7, P8, PoserPro and PoserPro 2010 on one machine and every time the same option.  The setup also remembers which runtime you installed to last. 

And BTW, my V4 and M4 base are installed in P7's runtime, fully accessible to my other version as an external. 

@Dave-So: I understand your frustration and your little tirate was somewhat over the top, but to the point.  I almost illicited the same response.  The main issue here is the lack of informative communication to present a detailed explanation about a particular problem so others may formulate an adequate response without resorting to random solutions.  Simply, the OP neglected to mention which operating system exists on the computer and what Poser version is installed, and used the wrong terminologies to describe the problem.  We can reduce the number of back-&-forth questions if the base query provides as much information as possible.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 20 June 2010 at 9:29 PM

yes..i was over the top and I fully apologize to everyone.
Its been one of those days.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 5:49 AM

Quote - yes..i was over the top and I fully apologize to everyone.
Its been one of those days.

LOL! I know the feeling Dave. Those are the days I "Try" to refrain from posting anything. Sometimes I succeed and others I fail miserably. It happens.

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 21 June 2010 at 9:57 AM

Quote - Finally downloaded everything into Poser 8! Both the Victoria and Aiko avatars! Problem is...when I open Poser to find them, it dosen't show where they are!

As an additional point, it sounds like you are confusing "downloading" and "installing", these are two different and separate things. You should be able to download the files to any folder. Once downloaded you run the installer (the *.exe file you downloaded).

3anson ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 3:05 AM

you can also use 'DAZ Studio' as the target application, then the installer does not look for the 'poser.exe' file. then you can install it where you like ( morph packs etc do have to go into the same folders as the core figures)
i know this works on P7 up, not sure about earlier versions.
there is nothing except the original content and lights/scripts etc installed to the P7/P8 runtimes, on my comp.everything else is installed into runtimes on another hard-drive, including all the M4 and V4 figure and morph packs.

hope this helps

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 6:52 AM

If you have installed Poser in the C:Program Files folder and use Windows 64 things can become very confusing
If your Poser is 32 bits then it is located in the Program Files (x86) folder even Windows shows it in Program Files. (Windows redirect the location).
If your Poser is 64 bits then it will be located in Program Files folder itself.
You have two Program Files folders and never know what is really inside each one.

Stupidity also evolves!

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote - you can also use 'DAZ Studio' as the target application, then the installer does not look for the 'poser.exe' file. then you can install it where you like ( morph packs etc do have to go into the same folders as the core figures)
i know this works on P7 up, not sure about earlier versions.
there is nothing except the original content and lights/scripts etc installed to the P7/P8 runtimes, on my comp.everything else is installed into runtimes on another hard-drive, including all the M4 and V4 figure and morph packs.

hope this helps

This is indeed the simplest way to install DAZ content. I have P4, P4Propack, and P6 on different machines on the network. P7 is in WindowsOld from when this machine was upgraded to WIN7 from XP. All my runtimes are available to me in P8 including those with various versions of Mike and Vicky just by locating the external runtimes and linking them into the P8 library. New content from DAZ including V4.2 and M4 and the weekly freebies are put into a runtime called DAZ which has no Poser.exe. I just use the DAZ Studio option and install the content in my C:/DAZ directory refreshing the library to have it show up in P8. BTW there is an initialization program for the V4 M4 figures that must be run after they have been installed on your machine.
pdg

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 12:49 PM

Quote - > Quote - Finally downloaded everything into Poser 8! Both the Victoria and Aiko avatars! Problem is...when I open Poser to find them, it dosen't show where they are!

As an additional point, it sounds like you are confusing "downloading" and "installing", these are two different and separate things. You should be able to download the files to any folder. Once downloaded you run the installer (the *.exe file you downloaded).

Yeah this was a point I noticed but forgot to mention. It's why I said he doesn't understand the basic principles of his OS and how things work though. Downloading is not the same as installing.

jestmart ( ) posted Tue, 22 June 2010 at 10:30 PM

There is a bug with the installer not showing the 'browse' icon if  Window's font size is not set to default ,96 dpi I believe.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2010 at 8:49 PM

Sorry for fanning the flames a bit, but I'm with Dave-So on this issue: these installers are more of a PITA than they're worth. I've been working with this program for over a decade, but try and install Hiro 4 is a monument to frustration.

I'm sure DAZ has their quaint little reasons for these things, but d*mn me if I can figure it out.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 23 June 2010 at 9:22 PM · edited Wed, 23 June 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quote - that's why I wrote that bit about learning how the file structure works on the OS, etc...or whatever I wrote :)
Learn the basics afore trying the advanced stuff. you know ... but I did explain more full ythe basics within that post ... to guide this and all new folks . i couldn't get my mother to understand that you had to move the mouse in order to move the cursor and that you had to doubleclick the left mouse button to activate the icon. it was pretty hard for her to understand what the mouse click was ... or what the icon stood for, or any of the common terms...so yes, I understand about the new folks. I find that I'm starting to get aggravated, however, when someone that does not understand the basics blames it on everything else other than their lack of knowledge, and is obviously attempting procedures that are beyond expertise level.

It would be good for me to see someone come in here and say they know nothing about how to use a computer and then get that part straight, then explain how to install a program, etc etc etc.
Be straight up....

I realize I'm one of those old timers that believes in learning the basics. you know , learning how to read and write, and maybe learn some English and sentence structure before becoming an editor of a magazine or something.
But then I totally forgot the fact that nowdays most people want to start out becoming a vendor and being a pro artist right away.

OK OK ..I'm being ridiculous ..or not ? the OP is seeking help, so I will now refrain from any further bashing aand hopefully he/she is not too badly offended and takes my way too straightforward approach as a community thing, as it is not. folks are very helpful here.

and as I said, the best advice I can give anyone is to learn the basics first. take those child steps, don;t be embarrased about it, and give it a good, thorough try.

Quote - Dave-So, the problem is the OP is most likely a Newbie "PC" owner as well as new to Poser. What's simple to those of us familiar with DOS and Windows and how their inner mysteries work seems simple, but let me assure you, without the base knowlege we have of how our OS works. It's really not as simple as all that. This is why we get newbies coming in here asking the same questions over and over again. They're usually new to more than just Poser.

I understand your frustration. But we have to remember we were all new at computers and Poser at one time.  The point of the forum is to let people ask questions.   "Newbies" depend on the "old timers" to give them help and are normally very greatful.  Bashing someone for asking a question will  either offend them or feel they can not ask a question without being bash for asking. And that is not the point of the forum. :o)

kosjka ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 6:48 PM

Quote - "All my runtimes are available to me in P8 including those with various versions of Mike and Vicky just by locating the external runtimes and linking them into the P8 library."

Next dumb question: How do you link your external runtimes into your Poser library?

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 6:55 PM

In your runtime palatte, click the symbol at the top (from anywhere) till you get to the list of runtime folders, which in your case will probably consist of two: Poser8 runtime and downloads. If you then look at the boittom of the palatte, you'll find a "+" sign. Click on that, and it'll ask you to add a runtime.

IMPORTANT: you have to be ONE LEVEL UP from the actual runtime folder. For example, if I have a runtime set up for a project called "Naked Vicky", I DONT click on the Runtime folder to add it. I click on "Naked Vicky". Also, ALWAYS MAKE SURE it's a runtime, complete with geometries and libraries and so on. Poser will reject it as an addition if it's not in proper runtime format.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 7:14 PM

I'll join the Greek choir lamenting the poopiness of the DAZ installers.  I don't know why they just refuse to look at making these a little more bullet proof, 95% of the time anyone has a problem of any kind with V4/M4 or variations it's because the DAZ installer didn't run correctly.

My Freebies

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 7:38 PM

I dont know that it's they dont run correctly so much as it is that you're not always told the rules of engagement. As I noted above, installing H4 was a serious pain in the posterior because DAZ doesnt tell you that it needs to find M4 first and that it has to be in your primary runtime. I have mine archived as a separate runtime, but that wasnt good enough for the installer.

But DAZ has no intention of changing over to something, you know, easy, like zip files. I'd love to know the reason, but I'd also like a date with Brad Pitt.

Suucat ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 8:11 PM

Hiya, i have too a problem when trying to install DAZ stuff, in my case Stephanie4Elite, i have Win7 64, Poser 7 is not installed on the root disk, and Poser 8 is installed outside the Program Files folder on the root disk, now when i try to install Stephanie i get this error:

Any ideas?

(argh, sorry about the big image >.<)

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 9:03 PM

Suucat, if you look at the error, the installer is obviously looking for Poser in a place you say you don't have it installed ;o). Not sure how to circumvent that tho. Maybe make a fake .ini file in the location it wants to look?

Laurie

Suucat ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 9:54 PM

Did that, and it almost worked :p but now i get this one:

/shrugs

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 10:14 PM
Online Now!

Suucat, the DAZ installer will ask which files to install, DAZ or Poser.  Judging from your screencaps, the installer is looking for a DAZStudio app.  I find that instructing the installer to install Poser (All files) works all the time, at least for me.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 10:23 PM

Quote - I dont know that it's they dont run correctly so much as it is that you're not always told the rules of engagement.

A whole bunch of times I've seen that people took exactly the right steps, the installer appears to run correctly, the updater is run and appears to have run normally, but the figure still doesn't get updated correctly and no error is given.  I remember one in particular (Daveso I think it was) where he ran it 4 or 5 times, and even though it never gave him any kind of message back, it did something different on the final run (which worked).  Keep in mind that updater has no interactive options, you just run it and it "does stuff" silently (i.e. if it doesn't run correctly it can't possibly be user's fault).

I don't have any input about the error pictured above, except that it probably has to do with user permissions or the lack thereof.  Call DAZ via telephone in US daytime and get them to help you - the more people that burden their support services, the more likely it is they'll be motivated to make their installers more robust.

ps: flattered to see a bunch of my items in that pic :)

My Freebies

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 10:35 PM · edited Wed, 28 July 2010 at 10:37 PM

I suppose that this problem only happens with Windows 64 bits.
The guilty one is not DAZ installer, even it can have some.
The mess was done by Microsoft that created two Program Files folders, one for 32 and other for 64 bits.
Until now is fine, logical and shouldn't have created any problem.
The problem is that the genius of Microsoft created the redirection of files. Explorer tells you that a file is located in one folder
and the file physically exist in other.
Depending on what you use to locate the file the file can be found or not. Something demoniac!!!

Stupidity also evolves!

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:09 PM

Maybe, but once that condition is known about (and after many years now, it ought to be) then it can be made safe in your installer.  It's not like programming languages don't have error handing built into them.

My Freebies

Suucat ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:15 PM

hborre*: Suucat, the DAZ installer will ask which files to install, DAZ or Poser.  Judging from your screencaps, the installer is looking for a DAZStudio app.  I find that instructing the installer to install Poser (All files) works all the time, at least for me.*

I did try to install it both ways, DAZ and Poser (All files), same result =/
pjz99:** flattered to see a bunch of my items in that pic :)

Awesome freebies, thank you very much ^.^

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:21 PM

DAZ has to update or change the installer, the problem is with older products at DAZ and in users backup DVDs.
Well, my XP64 don't allow me anymore to run Win311 or DOS programs. In the same way Windows7-64 doesn't allow old Poser stuff......

Stupidity also evolves!

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:28 PM

Quote - I did try to install it both ways, DAZ and Poser (All files), same result =/

You must have DazStudio or Poser or both installed outside the Program files folder.

Stupidity also evolves!

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 28 July 2010 at 11:31 PM

Other question, where is located your Daz Stephanie installer, if is inside Program Files folder, move it to other outside folder or drive and then run it.

Stupidity also evolves!

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2010 at 3:18 AM

"I suppose that this problem only happens with Windows 64 bits."

I'm running Mac 10.4, and I have yet to install Hiro 4.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2010 at 5:26 AM

How do you mean, you can't get it to install or you don't want to install?

My Freebies

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 29 July 2010 at 6:54 AM

I cant get it to install. I've tried just about everything I can think of: putting it in the main RT, putting it here, putting it there... nothing seems to work. It keeps telling me "file not found", which I'm assuming is M4 and its myriad associated files. But they're all right there, morphs and all. So now it just sits in my archive, along with M4, because I'm tired of dealing with the nonsense necessary to just load the stupid things in.

Like I said, I trust DAZ has a good reason for this nonsense they've inflicted on us with the last go-round of "flagship characters", but d*mn me if I can figure out what the hades it is. All H4 (or S4 or G4 or F4 or X4 or Q4, for that matter) really is is just a morph of the base mesh -- so why cant it be loaded in as such? Would that be so freaking awful?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.