Sat, Jun 1, 1:16 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 27 10:13 pm)

Subject: Vue 4.01 beta Updater available

e-on ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 9:08 AM · edited Fri, 06 October 2023 at 12:53 AM

Hi there, I'm pleased to announce that we have a beta of the 4.01 updater ready. If anybody is interested in checking it out, please contact me at support@e-onsoftware.com Following is the list of fixes: - Crash when entering a file name without extension in Render to Disk Options. - Crash when changing the name of a layer before opening or creating a scene. - 3D View titles were not erased (problems with japanese caracters). - Now possible to enter Japanese text. - Scene preview title bar not updated when changing the camera name in the world browser. - Unable to find "Poser.exe" under special circumstances. - VUE2 upgrade serial numbers not recognized if they were entered in lowercase. - Crash when splitting meshes. - Wavefront OBJ models that contain parts with UV info, and parts without refuse to load. - Crash when loading Poser scenes with some UV mapped parts, and others not. - Bad material distribution when loading certain Poser scenes (e.g. Mike). - Random problems registering certain extra vegetations purchased with Vue 3. - Impossible to create the Vue 4 specific vegetations under Japanese OS. - Crash when loading colormapped Targa pictures. - Problem rendering volumetric spot lights that point at the camera. - Caustics would not render if light source was inside a primitive. - Sun light called "Soleil" in some preset atmospheres. - Replicating objects would sometimes produce unexpected results. - Objects dragged out of groups in the World Browser would keep a link to the group. - Memory leaks when dragging object in and out of groups in the World Browser. - Bad selection of previously selected group members after dragging into a group or undoing the last operation. - Tooltips would sometimes appear spuriously. - Frame selected/All would fail if one of the orthogonal views is maximized. Option now grayed if not relevant. - Dragging to the material preview in the material editor is now possible. - Drag-Dropping materials in the material summary would not always remove duplicate materials. - Mixed materials/Object orientation option not always restored in material editor. - Interlaced GIFs couldn't be loaded. - Alpha Planes created from Tiff files with alpha info would not be restored properly after a save. - Planets would reflect strangely in water. - VR export not always available in picture format lists. - Occasional crashes when filtering terrain altitudes. Thanks to all of you for reporting the problems. Have a great time! Steve

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 9:23 AM

Thanks Steve, I just emailed you my request for it. Wouldn't be likely to get this kind of "curbside" support from Corel. :) Cheers, Mike who will now be able to type in Japanese if he wants to ;)

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 9:41 AM

WooHoo! I just received the URL and d/l'd the updater and installed it, and now the Quick Time VR works! Cool. My Schefflera still won't load, though, but as I said, I can use Vue 3.1 for that and save it out as a .vob for use in Vue 4... not like I ever use the Schefflera anyway... ;/ I haven't tried anything else yet, because I was just happy to see the QT VR working. :)

e-on ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 9:52 AM

Mike, did you re-register that Shefflera?

smallspace ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 10:21 AM

You ARE...da MAN! I'm there! -SMT

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

mstevens ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 11:20 AM

Well I think this just made up my mine on whether to get vue 4 or bryce 5.

jarm ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 12:41 PM

I love E-On - My Poser characters are awaiting the update. Jody

Shadex0r ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 1:16 PM

Mine too, they almost had some cobwebs on them. I shall sit here twiddling my thumbs awaiting the url =)

Shadex0r ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 1:20 PM

I almost forgot.. Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you =) Chris

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 1:33 PM

wohooo!! lookies, we made the fix list! 'tool tips appearing spuriously'! that's ME! :) and interlaced gifs and dragging the material stuff. and ooh! the evil black spot of doom in volumetric spotlights!! wheeee ::doing the dance of the new fix-it patch::

jarm ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 1:47 PM

Poser importing is coooooool now

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 2:37 PM

Cool ! Is there an expected date for release ?

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 2:39 PM

- Drag-Dropping materials in the material summary would not always remove duplicate materials. -- In my best Bloodsong imitation: Hey, that's ME! :D ::doing that fix-it patch dance too::

Calseeor ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 3:36 PM

ok...I hate to sound dumb here ( I do that enough at work ) but... I e-mailed and got my update. I check the zip file and it is a bunch of files, but no installer. The file properties of the items ( such as vue4.exe gives a ptah of vue4.01beta ) Am I to assume that these items install seperatly, when unzipped, so that they do not overwrite the originals, just in case? Do I unzip them into the vue folder, allowing them to make the beta folder, then just run the program via the new beat exe? I just want to make sure I don't screw something up. THanks all, Eryk The Clueless

jarm ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 3:43 PM

I just extracted all the files onto the desktop (making sure all the folders etc were extracted correctly) then copied them into my VUe folder and it worked fine, remember, this is a beta release patch so it hasn't been compiled into a exe yet. If you are unsure how to do this, wait for the final release.

smallspace ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 4:07 PM

...since I was acknowledged as being the 1st personto report problems to E-On tech support, I claim the following: - Unable to find "Poser.exe" under special circumstances. - Random problems registering certain extra vegetations purchased with Vue 3. - Crash when loading colormapped Targa pictures. - Sun light called "Soleil" in some preset atmospheres. -SMT :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 5:43 PM

Eryk, I just unzipped, copied/pasted the whole mess into my Vue 4 directory, and allowed the files to be over-written, and all seems well. Steve, no, I didn't try reinstalling the Schefflera yet since the patch. I had to leave for the day and just got back, but I will try that next. Thanks again!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 7:00 PM

If I haven't really had any problems, should I wait for the patch.exe or should I install the beta version? Sharen

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 8:09 PM

That would be up to you Sharen, but I just spent the last hour or so playing in Vue, with no problems. I made a dozen quickie GT VR panoramas...I love it. :)

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2001 at 9:22 PM

Sharen, I really haven't had problems, either. I went ahead and installed the patch because of a few minor quirks, nothing terrible. One of my personal quirks is still quirky, but I did notice another was cleared up now, which is cool. I'll be checking through other things a bit later. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is what Mike already said. I just take more words to say it. :) Since you're not having any noticeable troubles, you don't need to bother with this patch -- it's a beta, after all. If it turns out to be fixing all the things it's meant to be fixing, it will be officially released at a later point and you can get it then. See? Lots of words. :)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 5:04 AM

Has anyone else had problems with volumetric materials? Sometimes they render without any problem, next time they look like a blue-green-red-colourinterference. Entering a volumetric area with a camera during an animation results in the same effect. (I tried to create a "follow-the-missile-to-target-animation" yesterday and wanted to add some stylish volumetric clouds - imagine the clouds looking fine from the outside and red-blue-green from the inside...) And another bug that bugs me since Vue 2: While saving an atmosphere - especially volumetric atmospheres, the programm freezes far to often - almost 8 times out of 10. That's a bit to much if you ask me. (OK, my computer has only 224 MBs of RAM, but at least it should try to render and not stop at 1%.) Joerg

e-on ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 5:41 AM

Has anyone else run into the same problem? Joerg, you're the first person to report this. Does it happen with all atmospheres, or just one? Does it happen when your scene is empty (just the ground, camera and sun)? Let me know. Steve.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 6:02 AM

I have to say that I make and save alot of my own atmospheres, usually starting from a completely blank scene, and I haven't been having any crashes. But, I've been trying to save an atmosphere I keep trying to work on, but Vue 4 will crash every time. it doesn't seem to like having the solid black color map loaded for the sky, from the solid colors collection in the color maps folder. -Mike

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 6:17 AM

Well, I guess I have to take that back. I hadn't tried it since the patch yesterday, but now I'm finally able to save the atmosphere I had been working on. :)

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 9:43 AM

It doesn't happen with every atmosphere but it is directly linked to the complexity of the atmosphere. A non-volumetric atmosphere is very likely to work just fine, but a volumetric atmosphere may freeze the programm. With the parameters getting more complex and more volumetric functions being activated, the chance for a freeze-up rises accordingly. On the other hand, it sometimes works out just fine - I can't really put a finger on a certain factor that will guarantee a freeze up. While this is annoying, it is not a really bad problem. The one problem that really bugs me is the volumetric problem: Volumetrics suddenly turning into colour-interference patterns. This one really ruins my workday... Joerg

Joerg Weber ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 9:46 AM

Ungh... maybe I should mention the computer-configuration that causes the problem: It's an old 333Mhz Pentium with 224 MBs of RAM running an Windows NT 4 (Servicepack 6a). The graphics-card is an Elsa Synergy II (Open GL) with 32 MBs of RAM. Joerg

e-on ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 10:21 AM

Joerg, Can you send me one of these atmospheres that crash (save the scene, and I'll try and export the atmosphere from the scene). Thanks for your help. Steve.

smallspace ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 10:28 AM

Here's what I've found now working with the patch last night. "- Crash when loading color-mapped Targa pictures." Definitely fixed! Thanks much! "- Problem rendering volumetric spot lights that point at the camera." Works like a dream! "- Sun light called "Soleil" in some preset atmospheres." Gone...you would expect that... "- Drag-Dropping materials in the material summary would not always remove duplicate materials." Yup! Works fine! Still problems: Vue STILL won't read ANY of my Poser BUM files! While the COB import no longer causes crashes, Vue4 simply says it can't read the files...files that load fine in Truespace, 3D Exploration and Polytrans. -SMT

e-on ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 10:33 AM

Can we get some of these files (BUM and COB)? Thanks! Steve.

smallspace ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 11:03 AM

I'll send them tonight. (Pacific time) -SMT

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 11:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12368&Form.ShowMessage=349915

Steve could you check out this string also, I sent it to e-on support via the web site and I haven't heard anything yet, even if they understand the problem, but it has to do with the same kind of result that Joerg Weber posted #21 of this string - "next time they look like a blue-green-red-colourinterference". Thanks, Sharen http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12368&Form.ShowMessage=349915

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2001 at 1:50 PM

Sharen, the patch appears to have fixed that problem! :D I'll post more details in the original thread.

Calseeor ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2001 at 4:50 AM

Thanks for the help all. I'll install the patch today, with pride. :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2001 at 5:33 AM

Eryk I used Vue 4 with the patch much of last night and for a couple of hours this morning--- no problems, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

sidnancee ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2001 at 7:39 AM

Where Can I get the beta? I've gone to e-on's site and I get a message saying that there are no updates available for Vue 4.

DonnyD ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2001 at 9:36 AM

I got the patch and have loved working with it. The poser characters I were importing did have some props and such with no uv coordinates. Now they work perfectly. :) The QTVR save is cool, too. I am new to VUE so the other fixes are for problems I haven't had crop up. I'll admit, I like the patch being manual like it is. Maybe it is just the geek in me, but I like the control of putting the files in their place and knowing exactly what files are installed. DonnyD

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2001 at 11:31 AM

Thomas, this current patch is a beta version. There aren't any official patches as yet. Check back to the top post in this thread for details on how to obtain the beta to try out. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.