Sat, Jun 1, 1:50 PM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

Subject: Winter collection of fabric part 2 [8 other materials]

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 8:35 AM ยท edited Mon, 08 January 2024 at 12:41 PM

file_223717.jpg

This time, I put 2 fabrics for each picture of the model : one for the camisole, and one for the skirt. Set 1: Cow girl Top: Cow Bottom: Raw Leather Set 2: Goth girl Top: Black Cracked Leather Bottom: Black Latex Set3: Country girl Yop: Kitchen Table Cloth Bottom: Black and Red Squares Set 4: Party Girl Top: Shimering Blue Silk Bottom: Shimering Paper Cloth

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 8:42 AM

Some quick observations from the clothe challenge : - It is much more difficult to recreate procedural patterns on clothes. The mapping (Object or World) needs to be cylindrical at times, standards other times, depending on the orientation of the pattern to get the best effect. - The settings for the standard 'rubber' material (available in the Basics folder) is a great start for shimering materials. - The 'frog eye' (available when opening the frog object and saving the texture) is a good start for black leather/latex. The rest is a matter of textures and highlights. - In every case, the scale of the texture has to be carefully adjusted to get realistic effects. I suspect this will be always the case when applying those materials elsewhere. - I could not reproduce a satisfying 'fur' material.... anyone up to it ? :)

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 8:45 AM

Another note about the 'squares' material. I tried to produce that effect playing qith the color functions of a single material - never got anywhere like that. I finally got the desired effect by mixing a material with vertical stripes and one with horizontal stripes. Go figure...

tradivoro ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 11:00 AM

Hey, this really looks great... Now, here's a question for you... In set 3, the squares seem to expand in the top as they're being pulled and yet that doesn't happen in real life... Anyway to minimize that?? Not that it's a major big deal, but that's just something that leaped out when I'm looking at these details...

agiel ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 12:56 PM

Tradivoro : believe or not, this IS the optimised version of the texture :) I had a terrible time with distortions on clothes. One way to reduce that would be to map in Object space (versus World space as I did) but then, you have a lot of seams appearing between the chest and the two shoulders as the 3 parts of the shirt are taken as 3 objects by Vue. I didn't find a way to take care of that yet. It looks like the best way to put patterns on clothes is still a good UV mapping.Procedural textures remain best with generic materials.

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 2:24 PM

agiel, those look simply great! I was doing a bunch of experimenting with this challenge about a week ago but have had company for a few days and no spare time. This is VERY encouraging and enlightening and I suspect I will be doodling with this aspect of Vue long after the challenge has passed. I love every one of those, even with the distortion on set 3. Thanks for sharing. Bravo! Larry F

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 11:17 PM

yes, agiel, you're really doing some great things with Vue's material editor. I'm jealous. =)

tradivoro ( ) posted Sun, 21 October 2001 at 12:53 AM

Well, let's put it this way... If it's spandex material, it would do that, so it's square spandex material... :) that way, whenever it hits a bump on the human being, it's going expand like that... :) But all of these are really great looking materials...

Varian ( ) posted Sun, 21 October 2001 at 11:41 PM

If it's a knit kind of material, it will expand and stretch as needed, too. So it might be a knit. :) Laurent, these are really awesome and I'm very impressed! This challenge is sure showing us how versatile the material editor can be. I'm going to try getting the plaid the way you got it; it looks great. Well all of these look really good. They seriously look like actual fabric! Way to go! :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.