Sat, Jun 1, 8:42 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

dforce - Sonnet - Genesis 8

$12.95 USD 30% Off
$9.07 USD

Subject: Challenging question

agiel ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 10:23 PM ยท edited Sun, 07 January 2024 at 3:53 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=83639&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

I have a question fro the vue experts around here. I am looking for a way to add droplets of water on the skin of a poser character using mized materials (between the mapped image of the skin and something like glass). Sounds easy ? I tried many times for previous images. I tried again for my latest one ... no result. I had to give up and use some kind of 'wet' highlight. Any idea for a foolproof method ?

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 4:20 AM

I would say that the "wet" highlights idea would be the way to go, as far as trying to create wet-looking skin. If you want to try to reate the effect of actual water droplets on the skin, I would think you would have to have actual physical objects for that, since a water droplet looks like a water droplet due to the fact that it is a 3D object. The way the light refracts through it and reflects off of it. Otherwise, I would think a bumb function that creates tiny spheres protruding out from the surface might do it, but how could you get them to be clear reflective and refractive at the same time? Could be a mixed material with a "tiny smooth sphere" bump, with appropriate degrees of transparency, reflection, etc., applied to it. And of course the material mixture would have to be perfect, so it would need some filter adjustments. Sounds very difficult to me! You might get halfway there by first altering the image map for your Poser character and have it already applied in Poser, and if I were to try this I would want the bump map to originate as an image file first. It does not sound at all easy with Vue alone. Of course, you could "cheat" and slap a few dozen tiny spheres on the figure with a smooth water or glass texture, but I guess you already have decided against that, in favor of the impossible way. ;)

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 10:18 AM

I like Mike's idea about a bump function with tiny spheres, like the "Dots" function. I'm not sure at all how one would mix the materials for such a complex object as a human model. Maybe using the azimuth variable, one could at least make the "dots" portions face the camera's view. All guesswork here; I haven't tried getting something wet with drops.

Daffy34 ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 3:07 PM

I'll look into this when I get home...sounds like a challenge. Laurie

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 3:47 PM

They big problem I see is how do you create a bump that gives the impression of being elliptical or spherical? "Round" wouldn't be too tough, but how could the bump have a rounded top, instead of just flat?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.