Sat, Jun 1, 8:50 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

Subject: Light refracting through glass

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2001 at 9:16 PM · edited Thu, 04 January 2024 at 12:32 AM

file_206541.jpg

Here is my entry for the sub-challenge. I thought about this for a while and I think I found a good way to fake it - light gels. I can post the vue scene if anyone is interested. Any comment ? (Ok.. now I can start working on the Theme...)

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2001 at 9:34 PM

Hey, that looks great... A mini tutorial showing the steps, but yeah, if vue scene is easier... Love the smoke in the light, however, going through the glass, the smoke looks less realistic.. But it's great that you got the prism effect...

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 31 August 2001 at 10:57 PM

WOW, that is awesome, Laurent! Would love a tutorial, yes! :D

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 12:53 AM

OMG! You did it! Hmmm.. not only a challenge entry , but an answer to a question regarding the spectrum of visible light. Is anyone interested in the scene file? I AM! Gimmee gimmeeee gimmeeeee!!!! Errr.. I mean, yes, please. :) Can you "Free Stuff" it for us?

dolly ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 1:50 AM

me please lol very nice experimentation agiel, i would like to read a tut on this also . Many thanks cheers dolly

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2001 at 2:31 AM

That's very nice, agiel. I even had no time to try such things. But soon I will. Looks great. Guitta

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 11:14 AM

file_206543.jpg

1- The scene with 2 spotlights to simulate the refraction. The 'prism' uses the 'crystal' material. The atmosphere is one of the standard night atmospheres made volumetric.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 11:17 AM

file_206544.jpg

2- Parameters of the spotlight going 'out' of the prism. A quadratic spotlight gives a better diffuse effect for the final light. Notice the 'light gel' option turned on (icon just under the lens flare). This is key to the trick.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 11:21 AM

file_206545.jpg

3- Light gel settings. When you open the light gel control panel, select the 'load' button on the lower right corner. This will bring up the material menu, where you should have a 'light gel' section. The rainbow material is right there. I also had to turn the spotlight 90 degrees on its axis to make the rainbow vertical (the material makes it horizontal by default). Adjust the distance of the wall to make the rainbow more or less diffuse and there you are - a prism effect.

Varian ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 9:46 PM

Wonderful scene and actually a simple solution to the question. Thanks very much, Laurent! This just shows that a very complex scene needn't be complex to put together. You did a great job figuring it out! :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.