Sat, Jun 1, 7:55 AM CDT

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 am)

Subject: Boolean operation on complex meshes ?

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 9:13 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 October 2023 at 10:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=74501&Start=1&Artist=agiel&ByArtist=Yes

While I was working on my latest scene, I tried to turn the head into a mask by removing a cube or a cylinder from the back of the head (boolean difference). All I got was a lot of polygon removed from the FRONT of the face as well - around the jaw especially. Anybody found a way to get around this problem ? The face is Mike's head imported from poser.

dolly ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:23 AM

I dont know if you can when i want to do something like this i put it through a 3d prog like amapi

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:23 AM

I've actually never tried it, but it was brought up not too long ago, by I think Rich (Axe555)...

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=350040

Yeah, here's a link to that thread. I hope this can help you.

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for the answers and the link. I will try this out tonight. If it doesnt work, I can still try to play with the transmap.

Axe555 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 3:52 PM

My experiments with this have been completely unsuccessful (sp?) I think it was bloodsong that suggested using transmaps to fake the effect and I really think thats the only way ( I was using P4 Nude woman). If you do have any success I'd sure like to hear about it. Anyway, good luck!! Rich

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2001 at 11:03 PM

I played with this problem a little more tonight. I even tried to save the object as a vob file (I thought maybe Vue would handle intersections better with its own format). My conclusion : transmaps are the way to go. I will post my experiment when it is done rendering (still another 6 hours at least). I also noted something funny : - take an object in vue (ex. the head of a poser character) - duplicate it (but do not move it) - apply a transmap to reveal one half of the first object - apply a transmap to reveal the other half of the duplicate You would expect to get a full object, made of two 'halves' and the rest hidden by the transmaps.... wrong. The duplicate remains completely invisible until you move it a little.

aspirantnemo ( ) posted Tue, 07 August 2001 at 11:14 AM

The simple way : Boolean Intersection instead of difference. For your example, if your secondly selected object is a cube, make and place it so as the part of the head you want to keep is enclosed. It's a kind of inverse bol subst. but in my experience there's fewer computer errors with intersections. Herv

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.