Mon, May 13, 5:07 AM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 09 12:02 pm)

Subject: Poly Cruncher

DocPhoton ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 12:52 AM · edited Sat, 11 May 2024 at 6:02 PM

I'm curious if others are familiar with, or even heard of a tool called Poly Cruncher? Chances are you aren't. It's an add-on for a tool I've had for a number of years simply called 3D Browser, but it's by a French company called MooTools.

https://www.mootools.com/en

They came about when Lightwave wasn't a red-headed step-child (hence the Cow motif), but are an entirely separate company so not just for Lightwave.

I'm not sure how one would use it with Daz; DUF isn't on the list of import options but many other standard formats are. There is an SDK though. <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>

So, if versed on importing into DAZ, particularly OBJ's, you'll be on home stretch.

Be that as it may, for one reason or another I never really did much other than kick the tires with Poly Cruncher. A week or so ago I had a need so decided it was worth the time to give it a shot.  Lightwave's native tools & 3rd party plugs are lacking & clunky.

After a couple preliminary tests, to say I had a Tex Avery jaw drop moment is an understatement. And I wasn't even pushing it.

I was having issues with the roller skates in the

https://www.daz3d.com/ajc-boogie-roller-girl-outfit-and-boombox-for-genesis-8-and-81-females product.

As exported via FBX, each skate was 1.1Gb. The entire character exported out 4.67 Gb. Typical is more like 500-600 Mb.

It's not just the geometry, it's the morphs and I wanted to retain those. Unlike the Daz method of handling morphs, the resulting .lwo objects have morphs as part of the geometry. Eyebrows are often the worst.

But the skates were ridiculously dense. Not to mention geometry that would never get seen. Gorgeous, but basically a waste of resources.

Anyway as they say, a picture is worth a K of words +/-:

Ahu7Qzw86SxnxGXkeGIJIQjXrZ7WadKEU2D5CQjm.jpg

The Crunched one on the right has the mostly hidden extra Liner as well.

Well, since I'm often the one who asks "Well, will this thing go to eleven"? ...

A couple of other Daz assets I've acquired over the years are problematic even in DS such that I've never really used them.

The Red Crow Inn is definitely one.

https://www.daz3d.com/rog-red-crow-inn

Even with a pretty beefy system & even in a wire-mode it's hard to move the camera, let alone add a figure(s), light, ...

And that's not a new product so it makes me wonder how they used them even a few years ago.

A good test subject I figure.

A bit of a learning curve but rapidly levels off. So, not only can I now load the entire model w/ props, but camera moving in LW2019 is normal now. Don't have to stay in a wire-mode. Surfacing is ~85% there & can be PBR'd in a fraction of the time as before.

Well, isn't that special?

Bottom line, it breathes new life into some of my older assets & I probably look into others I've avoided before.

GGreen ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 3:20 AM

I might be misunderstanding what you are saying but this might prove to be helpful for you - https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

DocPhoton ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 2:44 PM

I think you're right that Decimator is pretty much what Poly Cruncher is but inside DS. Curious who they licensed it from.

And like Poly Cruncher, I've been aware it existed for some time.  The store page doesn't go into much explanation, but found a video by Jay Versluis (WP Guru) that does, and that it does much more that reduce geometry count.

Explains a great deal of above questions since it's non destructive & let's you create custom add'l LOD's.

Thanks.

GGreen ( ) posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 2:51 PM

I decided to try your tools.  This is probably a good tool for Poser and other 3D programs. The link I shared above is for Daz Studio. According to what I am reading about your suggested tool, this is for 3ds Max and Maya or programs that use their file format.  Poser can import these files. Blender can probably do the same as these tools you mentioned. Some might be put off by the price of these tools.

DocPhoton ( ) posted Mon, 29 April 2024 at 9:51 AM

There's a direct input for most formats. So after Crunching, it writes a new file in the same format so you use that as you would normally.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.