Sat, Jul 27, 4:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Jul 26 7:11 pm)

Subject: Library objects load very slowly

Bastep ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 3:44 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 5:16 PM

For some time now, I have noticed that objects from the library load very slowly. Really very slowly. I once stopped the time for an object. Normally this object loads in one second. If I have the loading problem, it takes about 25 seconds to load.

After restarting Windows 10, everything is okay. I start Poser 13 and everything is normal and fast. When I quit Poser and restart it, I have very long loading times again.

The problem does not occur with Poser 12. I also have no problems with other programs and games.

I have completely uninstalled Poser 13. But the reinstallation did not help.

I am using Windows 10, a Ryzen 7, a GForce 2080 graphics card and have 16GB Ram.

Can anyone give me a tip?

Kind regards

Stephan Bayer aka Bastep

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 1:48 PM
Forum Moderator

This is Windows trying to be helpful. There's two things we've discovered that can cause this. One of them is Background Activity Moderator (BAM). It's supposed to regulate background network traffic so it's not interfering with normal use. Except it thinks the library should be handled as background traffic.

There's no easy fix. It requires editing the registry. You need to remove the registry keys that BAM has created for Poser so it will leave your library functions alone. There's no way to totally disable BAM so it can't "help" again.

https://forensafe.com/blogs/bam.html

The second possible culprit is Fault Tolerant Heap (FTH). This causes a general slowdown of Poser in general. And again it's Windows "helping". And, again you'll need to edit the registry to remove Poser from the FTH list. It it possible to edit the registry to just turn FTH off so it will stop "helping".

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/win7appqual/fault-tolerant-heap

If you're not comfortable editing the registry don't try this. There's a way to sneak around it.Both of these apps use the full path to identify it's victims. If you move Poser it will leave it alone, at least for a while. Uninstall Poser and then install it to a different folder When prompted for the Install folder just pick a different name. (C:|Program Files\Fix My Poser\) that will free it from the clutches of BAM. Well until it decides to help again.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 5:08 PM

Why, pray tell, does loading a file that I have on my computer require background network traffic in the first place?

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 8:48 PM
Forum Moderator

The library in poser is really just a web page. Make sure Poser is open and try this link.

http://127.0.0.1:11530/nonVirtualAssets/ContentLibrary-1.9.11/release-1.9.11/ContentLibrary/ContentLibrary.html

It's just a local web page, based on Chromium. It uses local network ports to communicate with Poser. It's a made that way so the same interface can connect with the content store and the local library.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 9:42 PM

nerd posted at 8:48 PM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481801

The library in poser is really just a web page. Make sure Poser is open and try this link.

http://127.0.0.1:11530/nonVirtualAssets/ContentLibrary-1.9.11/release-1.9.11/ContentLibrary/ContentLibrary.html

It's just a local web page, based on Chromium. It uses local network ports to communicate with Poser. It's a made that way so the same interface can connect with the content store and the local library.

Ah, now that you mention it, I remember that that's been the case for a long time. Darn!

Anyway, thanks for the tip to install Poser at a different location. I've been hit with this issue badly, as well, so I'll give that a go.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 11:40 PM

So, I just reinstalled Poser in a different folder, and that did indeed fix the issue for me. Yay!

Hopefully, someone will be able to come up with a more permanent solution/workaround one day.

Bastep ( ) posted Tue, 20 February 2024 at 12:38 AM

Hello and good morning!

Thank you for this information.
I have one more question. Do I have to install Poser in such a way that I have to read in the libraries again, or is the simple version sufficient?

Greetings and have a nice day

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 20 February 2024 at 1:34 AM · edited Tue, 20 February 2024 at 1:37 AM

Oh there's a third thing you can check: Windows is one of the worst thing when it comes to indexing the files, in particular: its search engine seems to be programmed with 100% inefficiency in mind.
I've stripped down the folders list it handles down to a minimum: the Windows folders, any Program Files folders too, plus a few other places, but I've strictly prohibited (4BnrFB4ji9lGaaU2bDcZMUMhkve74J6KL3303LCi.gif) to touch any Runtime folder, as well as the other resources for Poser. Poser's own search index is enough.
And when I need to search for any file, on any NTFS-based drive, Everything finds it as fast as you can type, free, from voidtools.com.

NTFS-based drives only? I don't now for the others but NTFS has a builtin catalog of filles, and Microsoft has never thought they could have based their own search engine on their own disk management. The only hope: their own artificial unintelligence may one day suggest them some smart ideas... EcbAsEnDfyOe5B9U0078lEk7GdmbECWCiz4CCwSv.gif

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Bastep ( ) posted Tue, 20 February 2024 at 6:54 AM

@Nerd: Thanks! Reinstalled Poser in a different folder. Now it runs fast again!

@Y-Phil: I also tried your tip before reinstalling. But it didn't help with this specific problem. Thanks anyway.

Greetings and have a nice day
Stephan Bayer aka Bastep

ChromeStar ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2024 at 8:31 PM

It's been very slow loading poses for me, and I'm not afraid of the registry, so I took a look. It won't let me delete the BAM entry for Poser though. I also note that the linked page says "entries older than 7 days are removed when Windows boots" and that's not actually true (at least in Windows 11). Unless there is another entry I'm not seeing currently, because I just got back from a week-long trip and nothing has been used in that time.

I notice for FTH, though, that there is a key "ExclusionList" and wonder if it could be excluded there if it's a problem.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2024 at 3:18 AM

ChromeStar posted at 8:31 PM Wed, 21 February 2024 - #4481846

It's been very slow loading poses for me, and I'm not afraid of the registry, so I took a look. It won't let me delete the BAM entry for Poser though. I also note that the linked page says "entries older than 7 days are removed when Windows boots" and that's not actually true (at least in Windows 11). Unless there is another entry I'm not seeing currently, because I just got back from a week-long trip and nothing has been used in that time.

I notice for FTH, though, that there is a key "ExclusionList" and wonder if it could be excluded there if it's a problem.

Retrieve the right item in the left tree of the registry editor, right-click on it

ewREiPKoAujFIMufrNdmedxwXskr8PNDf8zNYAqR.png

As the registry editor requires an elevation, and you can open it, that means you're a member of the PC's administrator. All you need is to check "Total Control" or something similar on your PC, depending on how it's displayed

R4pAgR6X2EXo4ahJqIU8mUIXYqNjtMjKlNhFVEkW.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.