Sat, Jul 27, 12:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: e-on rip off

ArtByMel ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 8:28 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 6:06 PM

I got a new powerful computer, so I wanted to install my Vue 2014 to it. Tried using my saved activation code. No dice. I went on the e-on site to get a new activation code, and they are now charging $199 to get a code for legacy programs!!!!  That is just freaking outrageous! My old heavy-duty computer died, and the computer I had been using could barely even handle Vue. So, in order to use my existing copy of Vue, I basically have to pay for it AGAIN!! I'm so disgusted, I don't know how to even express it!! What a huge rip off that is!! I was considering upgrading to the newer Vue but frankly, now I don't think I will even bother. Definitely pissed off and absolutely disgusted with that company at this point.

My store here at Renderosity.

Art By Mel

gillbrooks ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 3:59 AM

I kicked off about that on the FB gallery page when they first sent out the newsletter on it.  I wish I had the money to take them to court over it as we've already paid for the software licence (several times over with yearly upgrades) and now they're charging us for them supplying a code that they wrote in to stop piracy.  TBH, that's why I rarely use Vue these days.  Really spoiled the whole thing for me, and as someone who'd been using it for 20+ years that's a crying shame

Gill

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 10:08 AM
Forum Moderator

This sounds like something a class-action law suit could tackle.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

ArtByMel ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 12:33 PM

I believe this is who now owns Vue:

https://www.bentley.com

It would be nice to get a class-action lawsuit filed against them. I wonder how many people might be interested? I don't know how tricky it might be, considering they are located in Germany I think? I'm reasonably sure they are a fairly large company too.

Art By Mel

ArtByMel ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 12:36 PM · edited Fri, 28 April 2023 at 12:36 PM

And yea, I don't think I'll be using Vue anymore, as much as I loved using it. I have older copies on CD-Rom that do not require that stupid activation code. But this extortion attempt really left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Art By Mel

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 3:11 PM

Would it even work if you could activate it? I haven't tested, and won't at $199 a pop (which I had missed), but as I recall there were reports that Vue (or at least the verification) could not handle large core counts and Vue support's solution was a one year discount on the current version. Usually I regard the lack of perpetual licenses as a form of non-malicious ransomware, but the non-malicious part seems debatable applicable in these situations.

ArtByMel ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 3:20 PM · edited Fri, 28 April 2023 at 3:21 PM

It works just fine on my existing computer, and it worked great on my older, more powerful machine. The issue is that this computer is not powerful enough to handle Vue. The new one is definitely more than powerful enough, thus the reason I want to install it on there.

Art By Mel

Renderholic ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2023 at 1:26 PM

You're kidding! I'm looking at a new computer and even if I have the activation code my Vue2016 won't work unless I pay another $200? How can they justify that?

ArtByMel ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2023 at 7:57 PM
Renderholic posted at 1:26 PM Sat, 12 August 2023 - #4472437

You're kidding! I'm looking at a new computer and even if I have the activation code my Vue2016 won't work unless I pay another $200? How can they justify that?

Nope, not kidding. And they can get away with it because they have enough money to tie it up in court for a long time, even if there was a way to take them to court. Bentley Auto owns Vue e-on now.

Art By Mel

yvesab ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2023 at 12:31 PM

I used Vue since version 4, upgraded until 2016 pro. At one time I had 5 dedicated PC to speed up network rendering.

I've been a long time supporter of "vue d'esprit", mostly because they were French. Vue is really aging and not really worth the "renting" price.

I'm opposed to any "renting" SCAM, which is unfortunately the fact for almost every program nowadays.

I'm trying to learn Gimp, Blender .... My office suite is LibreOffice. I donate regularly, this is much more ethically satisfying.

I'm absolutely opposed to give any money to Bentley ! The owners at Eon made a big stash of cash selling Vue. There's definitely something rotten in the kingdom of CGI, at least for us, hobbyists.

In the old days of internet, we were promised infinite knowledge and an infinite space of freedom. We, the people of the world, were turned as a source of infinite knowledge for a very few companies...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.