Mon, Jun 17, 2:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 05 3:36 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Spline vs vertex

benney ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 5:08 AM · edited Mon, 17 June 2024 at 1:39 AM

This may sound a little silly but i have always wondered which modeller takes up the most memory, the Spline or Vertex modeller?

ProPose001 ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 3:48 AM

Couldn't tell you.  The only time I've used the Spline modeler  is when I open some of the default native content,  which I immediately convert to a Vertex object.  I've tried using the Spline Modeler, but I'm also missing a lot of hair now. 

benney ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 4:50 AM

I also tend to use the vertex modeller or Hexagon for the more complicated models. But there are so many ways you could literally cheat by using the spline modeller. I am just wondering if it would be worthwhile using that option on some models without pushing the CPU... and i know what you mean about the hair situation, why do you think I shave my head these days LOL

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2022 at 5:30 PM

it definitely is lighter on resources to use the spline modeller unless you use the Octane render plugin, then it's not as smooth as it becomes vertex mesh, same with metaballs.

I can only make simple spline models like bottles, bowls, glassware etc and they definitely are nicer than vertex lathed ones, I wish I knew how to do more, I can do spirals,  coils and springs and bathtubs 

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

benney ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2022 at 5:35 AM

Thanks for the info. It certainly helps me. The project I am planning will take some very complicated vertex work but a lot of of simpler shapes that i know the spline can handle. So combining the two trying is the plan to save the CPU count.

Again, thanks for the information. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.